Kiewit Employee Reviews

Co-op Student Typical Day
Safety Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLDecember 15, 2015
I would go into work each morning and get together with the safety team to determine what was the main focus for the day. Then, unless something came up (such as an incident), the main duty would be to be field present. Look for hazards, review job task with workers, ensure everyone was working safely, and deal with any safety issues as they arose. Meetings, safety walks, and learning were part of my daily job requirements. I would love to get out in the field and participate in ensuring the site was safe. I didn't find any of the job hard as it was a complete learning experience and i was lucky to be a part of it.
Pros
The level of safety coworkers I had to assist me
Fast paced and rewarding work environment
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 14, 2015
The ability to work on nearly any kind of project imaginable is incredibly rewarding. You can head to a hydro dam retrofit or a nuclear power plant, a co-gen power plant, an LRT line, or the building of a new hospital, or countless other projects. The amount you can learn is endless.

The work environment is always faced paced but the quality of the people there make it very easy to forget stress and turn out incredible work.

The hardest part of the job is really only trying to determine where you are going next!
Pros
Learning experiences galore
Cons
some days can get long, and not knowing where you are going after your current project can be stressful
overall ok
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 29, 2016
I did not like middle management, overall company was good and tried very hard to develop employees. Relationships depended deeply on what location you worked out of.
Good company to work for.
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  ManitobaApril 17, 2016
Professional company with good honest bosses, they ensure safety is a top priority, follow all protocols, acts, and comply to all laws and regulations.
Pros
Professional workers
Cons
Working schedule
Challenging but rewarding environment
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis JunctionApril 21, 2016
I enjoyed the challenge that the construction industry brings and working together with my colleagues to complete the project successfuly and on time.
When I needed them the most they were not there.
Ironworker/Welder (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 16, 2014
Worked for them this year on a project in British Columbia, I got hurt on the job. Everything was fine, management acted like they were behind me until I filed for compensation through WCB, I later found out they disputed my injury. They went as far as contacting WCB to tell them that they believed I was hurt that morning and that I wasn't feeling well(which was entirely made up)

Would NEVER work for Kiewitt or any CLAC affiliation ever again.
Pros
not many come to mind.
Cons
stabbed me in the back when i needed them.
decent place to work
Fitter/welder/ironworker (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 24, 2016
not too bad workers are awesome they provide good ppe safety is over the top the tools are all provided for your job they provide coffee and utensils for eating if you forget to bring yours.
Pros
workers are great
Cons
too much blame on the workers
Great Company
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Depends on the project you are on but they have a great support system to help you learn and do your job efficiently. You will do weld inspection, turnover, vessel inspection, document review, QA walkdowns and Tri-party walks
Very good environment for learning, progressing and putting out the best work I possibly could
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BCJuly 6, 2016
Working with Kiewit on the highway1/port mann bridge improvement project was great. I was hired right out of school and the training they provided me really helped me considering I did not have any really previous work experience as a Surveyor. I was on night shift for the majority of the project because the road work couldn't be done during the day. I was put in charge of the major road milling and paving projects using specialized survey techniques such as the first 3D milling machine using total stations and DTM files. On our off days we would do a lot of layout and monitoring. I also completed the majority of the projects lazer scanning of highway elevations and overpasses. The management was often very disorganized but it worked to my advantage because it forced me to make my own decisions and learn new things on my own. The hardest part of my job was the hours. I love night shift, that was not the problem. The problem was we were having to do 6 and 7 day weeks almost all the time, especially during the nicer months for weather for paving. But, it also was an advantage because of the hours we were able to bank. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was my first surveying job and once I broke through the learning curve it made work a lot more fun knowing exactly what I was doing. I felt accomplished.
Pros
lots of work, great training before being thrown into things, good support from management
Cons
Too much work at times, Rushing to get the job done by deadline forced us to work 24 days in a row at one point, But this only made me stronger and I can do extra days no problem now because I am used to it
good job
jm welder (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLFebruary 3, 2016
was i a good paying job good management not to bad to work for town was small friendy people good that you didnt have t pay for a place flights ect
enjoyable place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABMarch 15, 2016
Learned a lot of safety , Kiewit goes the extra mile to make sure safety is always the number one . CSA are constantly making sure all new employees are given proper training and assigned the proper mentors before heading out in the field
Pros
good work, good wages
Cons
too many staff
Electrical intern (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 30, 2016
Its a great work environment with a focus on safety and the well being of the employees. It is a great place to work no matter who you are.
Pros
Great overall work environment
Cons
quite far away for me
enjoyed my time their
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 18, 2016
Kiewit mod yard was a very rewarding job very high saftey standards and reliable planning and management i enjoyed my time working for them.
very busy and productive place to work
heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 26, 2016
I learned many parts of working with different trades being an equipment operator. Kiewit is a very safety based company which made it nice to come to work knowing you could stay safe.
Pros
safety awards. Barbecues
Cons
supervision with little or no experience in certain trades
Great place to work!!
Steam fitter /QA/QC (Current Employee) –  Edmonton mod yardNovember 11, 2012
Very safety oriented , great Benifits and great wages. Lots of OT steady work working night shift has its pros and cons. Fridays are optional. People are saying that management is no good but those are the people that are screwing up and losing there jobs. If your a hard worker and work smart and properly then you have nothing to worry about. If you are looking for a company with lots of room for advancement and safe steady work then Kiewit is the place to be
Great Learning Experience
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLFebruary 9, 2016
I've worked here for 3 weeks during a work exposure and I've learned a lot in those three weeks. I've enjoyed working there and I always got satisfaction from actually getting to complete real work.
Pros
Staff here were always willing to help out if I found difficulty
very organized, well run company
Mobile Crane Operator, Red Seal (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMarch 21, 2016
had a great experience working for Kiewit. sorry to see the job come to an end. hope to work for them again soon. great supervisors and co workers as well
Great work and great pay
Labourer/ First Aid Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 21, 2016
Enjoyed working here while the job lasted.
Great wages, great hours and great co-workers and bosses.
This company takes very good care of its employees.
A typical day at work is morning management update meetings. Development and leadership of team
Project SSHE Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's NewfoundlandOctober 22, 2015
This company is a co-venture partnership with multiple levels of management. Cultural differences between two companies from different world locations started as a challenge but through extensive team building at different management levels and throughout the organization solidified the team as One Team coming together to accomplish the goal for completion of a world class project.
Pros
Travel Allowance
Cons
Distance from home
productive and safe work environment
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 2, 2016
Enjoyed working with this company and maybe I will again someday. My day consisted of many different things to do with scaffolding. My employer and employees was a great group of people