Kiewit

Kiewit Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challenging workplace that presents many opportunities.
Construction Engineer intern (Former Employee), ArizonaOctober 8, 2013
Positive learning environment that gives lots of responsibility to those willing to accept it.
good company to work for
Lead Heavy Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee), Grapevine, TXSeptember 23, 2013
very good company just not much job security learned alot with kiewit sent me to several schools/ training
Good job 2 pick up field experience
1st class pipe welder (Current Employee), Ingleside TxSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: really good benefits
Cons: low pay for 1st class welder
Good Job for someone getting out of shop work or right out of school 2 experience how it is 2 work in the field low pay at $20.45 it's low for the work you Put in the pipe welder have a really good leadmans best out of all the other crafts with a good management for the welders if the top pay for the welders went up this would be a good job over all
a mans job no doubt
Mechanic/Lube Tech (Former Employee), Grapevine TexasAugust 31, 2013
Pros: outside most of the time. great pay !!
Cons: hot as he!!
they trained me to be a mechanic , a lube tech, a welder, xactrack installer, sent me to cat holt technical school and John Deere technical school, met some of the best guys in the world there, from all over the country, I work on the DFW connector project and there were times were I had my azz handed to me. But I learned a lot about myself and my fellow – more... heavy construction workers. – less
Nepotism
Every department (Current Employee), Ingleside, TXAugust 19, 2013
Pros: 3 percent bonus every three month
Cons: no time to spend with family
You better learn Spanish, because no one in the area while work for them because if you don't have a family member that's a leadman or better you will never move up.. There is a lot of nepotism here. I wish they would do that undercover boss there. work 6-7 days a week they can't plan work .the top pay is $20.45 the lowest in the area and if you ask – more... for a day off a month ahead of time they say we'll see .. They need someone to come in and clean house from the leadman to upper management – less
Good place to work and learning experiences.
Structual fitter (Former Employee), Ingleside, TXJuly 8, 2013
Pros: peminent job
Cons: some management are no good, get power hunger once moved up in position. they suck up to the higher ups, but talk down on the rest. thinking they are better.
It is a great place to make a career. It's a family oriented company.
Total burn out 70 hrs/week
Estimator (Former Employee), North jerseyJune 20, 2013
Bad management and very bad treatment
If you don't know anyone there, don't work there

You need to work Saturday and sometimes Sunday

0 life
Construction business
Office Manager for Clinton CSO (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJune 18, 2013
Pros: great 401k program
Cons: work their young kids 60-80 hours/wk on salary, total burn out
Good place to work, flexible time. Earn vacation quickly. Great 401k program.
Addresses all workplace issues.
Crane Operator (Former Employee), Mesa, AZMay 7, 2013
Pros: ok pay
Cons: no benefits or paid time off.
*Typically, I'm either operating, cleaning, and/or maintaining a crane throughout any given day.
*In respect to crane work I've learned a lot about building bridges, refineries, and coal plants.
*I rely on my co-workers for accurate crane signals and proper rigging.
*The hardest part of the job is working with inexperienced signalmen and riggers.
*The – more... most enjoyable part of the job is ending each day without any injuries and accidents. – less
Good pay, good experience, very bad life style
Electrical Estimator (Former Employee), Santa Fe Springs, CAMay 1, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: long hours, constant feer of loosing your job.
I've learned a lot, but I had no life in this company. I worked almost 7 days a week. One day I worked 16 hours, showed up late on the next day about 15 minutes, and my supervisor wrote me up. great experience but you will not have a life.
production production production
Structural Fitter (Former Employee), Ingleside txMay 1, 2013
Pros: bonus every 3 months
Cons: 30 minute lunch breaks not payed
Very poor management. No leadership or sense of direction. Employees sacrifice a lot with little or no appreciation. My co workers were great. The hardest part of the job was trying to communicate with different crafts to get a task or job done. Most enjoyable part of my job was getting set up with a full days worth of work.
Poor management
foreman (Former Employee), ArkansasApril 19, 2013
Pros: yet to find them
Cons: no appreciation for work, no bonuses, raises ars poor, poor management, wrong people running workg
Where to start?

First off don't plan on moving up in the company unless you kiss lots of you know what. I've been with the company for 12 years and every year things have gotten worse. Upper management likes to promote their buddies into positions such as, superintendent, project manager, or construction manager.

Money is another thing. I've been – more... on jobs where we've worked 80+ hrs a week, finish the the project below budget, and received nothing. Not a bonus, not a pat on the back, not even a thank you. Managers and corporate are more worried about their stock returns then their employees. So if your looking for a place that treats you like garbage,
works you 80+ hrs a week, and complains when you take time off to spend with your family, I say go for it! But I recommend looking elsewhere. – less
Great Company
Field Engineer 2 (Current Employee), Renton, WAApril 18, 2013
Kiewit is a great company to work for. They take good care of their employees and demand quality work in return.
Limited life balance
Engineer (Former Employee), ArizonaMarch 25, 2013
Pros: benefits are fair.
Cons: communication and lack of support from direct managers and senior management.
This company is only interested in you if you fit their culture and country club philosophies. They will make sure you don't reach the 5 year mark if you aren't part of the club.

It's a young person's company. If you're over 30, I'd recommend that you stay far away from this company. You'll never get a fair shot of being a Stockholder.
uhm
Foreman (Former Employee), texasFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: excellent insurance
Cons: young management
I worked for this company for almost 3 years all n all its a great company. Some districts are very good others are not the projects managed by young management seems to have a high turn over rate others don't . If they don't like what you have to say they will get rid of you simple as that. Some projects have great attitudes, others don't. Uhm coworkers – more... some good some not so good. – less
Culture of intimidation and negativism
Home Office (Former Employee), OmahaFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: i can't think of any
Cons: hr is there for management, not the employees
At first the company seemed to be interested in growing individuals and supporting a work/life balance, but the culture changed in the last 3 years or so to one of stress, intimidation and back-stabbing.

Managers do not take responsibility for their actions and will throw subordinates under the bus at every turn. It's a no-win situation when those – more... managers lie to their own bosses about subordinates instead of growing a pair and admitting they gave bad direction. Even when employees follow process to the letter, they are often chastised when someone in the organization doesn't like the way their projects are run.

You will be expected to work long hours and get everything done without help. 60 hours and more is the norm for 40 hours of pay.

This is not a company that a hard working, innovative person should go to work for. If you are a sheep with no guts, this is the company for you. – less
It's not culture, it's a cult. Beware.
Marketing (Current Employee), Near DenverJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: low insurance contribution. free lunches.
Cons: machiavellian, long hours, gossipy mgt style, stale vision, losing stockholder trust and value by the day
Super egos pretending they know what they're doing. Top heavy mgt leads to very long hours for everyone else. Plan on being away from your family if you take a job there.

– March 1, 2013

Very chauvinistic, male dominated, ego driven management. Super big egos, a few were in the military (I love the military) but they think that gives them carte blanche to treat others like they are peasants. Most of the women are in administrative jobs with out much future. No thanks.

Great team atmosphere
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Elgin, ILJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: great working atmosphere and good pay
Cons: frequent moves would be required
I worked as an engineering intern in the office preparing bids for construction projects. I was impressed by the team effort in the Elgin office that I worked in and the staff diversity. It was a great group of people to work with.
its the same companey
Carpenter (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 8, 2013
I wish I could still be working fom them, but I had to leave the mancamp to go to get my kids or I'd still be there
A great frim to work for simple as that!
Carpenter (Current Employee), Tioga, NDDecember 16, 2012
Pros: you name it! there are to many to name
Cons: if your in, your in ! but if they don't like you ? your out!
I really enjoy the frim, they take care of there people well ,the working staff are well trained,I had a good learing of core steps of the job.

About Kiewit

Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth – Read more