Kiewit Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Safety Environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kearl LakeJuly 14, 2015
Employee owned company based out of the USA with heavy American influence in all management decisions. A circle the wagon mentality and assess blame to workers and treats them as sacrificial goats to protect field management.

Management in the field does not know what each separate division is doing and work stacks up. If you do make a difference they get rid of you, they do not like people who think.

Leadership at the senior level and on the ground appear on the surface to care, but at the end of the day you are nothing to them but an avenue to achieve a goal. Promises are made but never followed through and once they have met their goal you are gone.

Over all if you are an hourly tradesman good place to work, entry level or middle management and not a stock owner, you are a virus and the politics are total nonsense.
Pros
Pay & Safety
Cons
the camp we were lodged in had a gym, ice rink, and a pool table games room.
Lead Hand/ Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 7, 2015
I really enjoyed working with Kiewit. They were really safety oriented and cared for the employees. We would start the shift off with a safety tool box talk and doing morning stretches then be given ou task and go do it, if you were unsure you were more then free to ask with nothing said about making sure your clear. They would check in with you to see how things were progressing and see if there was any changes.

I really enjoyed it as I started out as a skilled labourer and moved up to lead hand then a lead hand equipment operator, they had no trouble with moving a individual up when it was warranted and the need was there.
Pros
the ability to move up in job positions
Cons
Long Cold Weather in the winter working night shift.
enjoyed my time their
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 18, 2016
Kiewit mod yard was a very rewarding job very high saftey standards and reliable planning and management i enjoyed my time working for them.
very organized, well run company
Mobile Crane Operator, Red Seal (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMarch 21, 2016
had a great experience working for Kiewit. sorry to see the job come to an end. hope to work for them again soon. great supervisors and co workers as well
productive and safe work environment
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 2, 2016
Enjoyed working with this company and maybe I will again someday. My day consisted of many different things to do with scaffolding. My employer and employees was a great group of people
Great work and great pay
Labourer/ First Aid Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 21, 2016
Enjoyed working here while the job lasted.
Great wages, great hours and great co-workers and bosses.
This company takes very good care of its employees.
Awesome experience.
Fireproofer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMarch 11, 2016
Received a lot of training, lots of challenging situations, good work place, great co workers. Over all a great place to work.
Good
Journeyman painter (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMarch 11, 2016
Worked hard, a lot of nice people, good experience. Fire proofing was a blast. Learned lot of skills that will help me in the future.
Nice working environment.
Precast Yard Surveyor and QC (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 19, 2016
Gives me lots of opportunities to learn on different methods of construction, autocad drawings, precast construction and other road works construction.
great learning tools
MLMR CSA Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 26, 2015
Teach you the things you need to know to get the job done..
Work life balance is lacking. Young engineers are taken advantage of, and if you are not willing to slit your coworkers throat to get ahead...you'll never get ahead.
When I needed them the most they were not there.
Ironworker/Welder (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 16, 2014
Worked for them this year on a project in British Columbia, I got hurt on the job. Everything was fine, management acted like they were behind me until I filed for compensation through WCB, I later found out they disputed my injury. They went as far as contacting WCB to tell them that they believed I was hurt that morning and that I wasn't feeling well(which was entirely made up)

Would NEVER work for Kiewitt or any CLAC affiliation ever again.
Pros
not many come to mind.
Cons
stabbed me in the back when i needed them.
Inspections
Environmental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Smithville, ONFebruary 7, 2016
We have a very strategic inspection duties , Working here you learn allot about Team work and allot of challenges .

Alex
Great place to work.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
I Enjoyed driving truck, setting up work plants, and overall duties. I recieved experience driving trucks from U.S. and across Canada.
Great place to work!!
Steam fitter /QA/QC (Current Employee) –  Edmonton mod yardNovember 11, 2012
Very safety oriented , great Benifits and great wages. Lots of OT steady work working night shift has its pros and cons. Fridays are optional. People are saying that management is no good but those are the people that are screwing up and losing there jobs. If your a hard worker and work smart and properly then you have nothing to worry about. If you are looking for a company with lots of room for advancement and safe steady work then Kiewit is the place to be
good safe educational place to work
Assistant welding superintendant (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NLSeptember 21, 2015
no job security as of contract work, otherwise very fun enjoyable place to work! most employees and office staff are friendly and helpful and as I was on a 14/7 rotation the transportation and accomadations were great!
Pros
awards for saftey, some lunches
Site Administrator
Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 26, 2015
Had a hand in most of the administration on site, interacting with management from different countries in a team environment. Awesome company to work for
Pros
family environment
Cons
layoffs
Awesome Place To work
pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLDecember 3, 2015
Kiewit Offshore Services in Marystown,Nl was a great place to work. Between the Office staff right down the the labours on site. The atmosphere was great. I am very pleased to say I worked down there for 19 months. I hope to go back soon!!
Excellent employer
Quality Assurance Specialist / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 27, 2015
Very good - I would highly recommend. I would also think that the feelings are mutual.

Please do contact them if you would like to.
Pros
Very good
PMH1
Field Engineer / Quality Control (QC/QA) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 20, 2014
Peter Kiewit Infrastructure PMH1 Upgrade Project:

Good variety of experiences and responsibilities,
If you are a go getter it's a great place.
Salary is competitive.
The co-workers are good quality people.
Can learn a lot in a short period.
Pros
unlimited potential
Cons
a lot of required overtine
Big Company
Material Controller Lead (Former Employee) –  KEARL Froth Site, North of Fort McMurray AlbertaOctober 23, 2015
High Turnover rate, otherwise great company to work for.
Huge and serious on Safety.
Many companies talk safety but production is quite often more important.
Not so with Kiewit.
They are the first employer I have worked for that is very serious about safety, and will go to any lengths to ensure that Safety is the #1 concern of everyone, no exceptions.