Kiewit Employee Reviews

Very productive and organized place to work.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL1 September 2016
I absolutely loved my time working with Kiewit. I learned a lot about who I am as a person and during my time there I met some of the best people from all over the world. Working with Kiewit was my first experience in the construction/oil & gas field
my job as an operator
Zoom Boom Operator (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL11 May 2016
i love to go to work as an operator and learned new things ,i can work unsupervised, i can get long with anyone i go to work each day to make a living and to give my employer a good days work i work hard and injoy what i do ,my last employer was very pleased with my work.
Pros
i get to get a days work
Cons
getting laid off
Good Safety Environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake14 July 2015
Employee owned company based out of the USA with heavy American influence in all management decisions. A circle the wagon mentality and assess blame to workers and treats them as sacrificial goats to protect field management.

Management in the field does not know what each separate division is doing and work stacks up. If you do make a difference they get rid of you, they do not like people who think.

Leadership at the senior level and on the ground appear on the surface to care, but at the end of the day you are nothing to them but an avenue to achieve a goal. Promises are made but never followed through and once they have met their goal you are gone.

Over all if you are an hourly tradesman good place to work, entry level or middle management and not a stock owner, you are a virus and the politics are total nonsense.
Pros
Pay & Safety
Hard Working Environment, No Life-Work Balance
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 October 2015
If you like to work and continue to work on your days off, this is your work place. You get to work on interesting projects and your given lots of responsibility. Unfortunately when you go home, work doesn't stay at your desk.

Every co-worker you work with are hard working, but I would work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but commonly worked up to 14-15 hours a day on a regular basis. Not great compensation for the higher work hours.
Pros
Participate in Great Construction Projects
Cons
No Work-Life Balance
Great working conditions.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, Ontario2 April 2016
Kewit is the safety workplace who prides themselves doing the job safe .This company was the best I've ever had the chance to work for keep up the good work. Safety is top priority in this company it shows they care about you and your family more companies should take an example of this great company .
Pros
Long hours and can work 7 days plus
Cons
To many foremans on same job leads to confusion at times .
average company
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 September 2016
average company at many levels
high supervision lacking vision and knowledge
cut throat environment in supervision level
facilities are ok
Fun place to work
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2016
I really enjoyed working for Kiewit a very safety oriented company
awesome group of people to work with and for. Good experience and very knowledgeable group
Pros
Safety oriented Good Money
good place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan7 May 2016
routine job that we do from A to Z , nice environment of work good team and co-worker, management very professional . enjoyable time was every week for meeting and discuss.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good hours
Very good environment for learning, progressing and putting out the best work I possibly could
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC6 July 2016
Working with Kiewit on the highway1/port mann bridge improvement project was great. I was hired right out of school and the training they provided me really helped me considering I did not have any really previous work experience as a Surveyor. I was on night shift for the majority of the project because the road work couldn't be done during the day. I was put in charge of the major road milling and paving projects using specialized survey techniques such as the first 3D milling machine using total stations and DTM files. On our off days we would do a lot of layout and monitoring. I also completed the majority of the projects lazer scanning of highway elevations and overpasses. The management was often very disorganized but it worked to my advantage because it forced me to make my own decisions and learn new things on my own. The hardest part of my job was the hours. I love night shift, that was not the problem. The problem was we were having to do 6 and 7 day weeks almost all the time, especially during the nicer months for weather for paving. But, it also was an advantage because of the hours we were able to bank. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was my first surveying job and once I broke through the learning curve it made work a lot more fun knowing exactly what I was doing. I felt accomplished.
Pros
lots of work, great training before being thrown into things, good support from management
Cons
Too much work at times, Rushing to get the job done by deadline forced us to work 24 days in a row at one point, But this only made me stronger and I can do extra days no problem now because I am used to it
Great Company better crew
Leadhand/Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake25 August 2016
Had a great time, working nights on a cable crew. Job is to last about 5 months.

Crew was awesome, great bunch of guys, very safe environment

Want to know more about Kiewit?

Ask a question
good admospheric team and staff
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan7 May 2016
Have good day noting to complain , nice team and co-worker. they give me chance to learn stuff that I never work on. Management young team but always there to discuss with us.
Pros
reward point
Cons
good shitf
Good ppl
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB14 February 2016
Good group of guys to work with. all pros. There work hard and get the job done. Learnt that i didn't want to be apart of the politics there tho.
Great place to work!!
Steam fitter /QA/QC (Current Employee) –  Edmonton mod yard11 November 2012
Very safety oriented , great Benifits and great wages. Lots of OT steady work working night shift has its pros and cons. Fridays are optional. People are saying that management is no good but those are the people that are screwing up and losing there jobs. If your a hard worker and work smart and properly then you have nothing to worry about. If you are looking for a company with lots of room for advancement and safe steady work then Kiewit is the place to be
Good company
Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
Kiewit is a good company, their EIT program is very good.

I have learned a lot from working with Kiewit, its a great place to work if you would like to gain experience in the construction industry.
Pros
RRSP Program
Cons
Salary
HD Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Squamish BC, Fort McMurray AB12 October 2015
Perform job that was given to you in the morning. i did my apprenticeship here so i learned pretty much everything here. Its as good lots of people to help with daily tasks and you were given tasks to do on your own also which helped in learning. Management was good they treated their employees with respect and awarded then for jobs well done or for saving the company money.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not sure where your next job would be
A valuable team was the most important part of my success with this company.
FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Kapaskasing,ON.7 February 2015
A very fast paced work place with advancement for those willing to work hard.I liked the faith placed in me to do the job right every time,without being micro-managed.The hours were long and the work was hard,but the days flew by.A valuable team was the most important part of my success with this company.In construction,all good things come to an end-as did this one.
Terrible
Contract Management (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 October 2015
Old Boys Club,

Might be OK once they all retire in a few years.
The company is desperately trying to re-brand itself to a more modern company that is tolerant and supportive of work life balance and functional families.

But until these old dogs are gone its just talk, they run the show and enforce 7-7 on a eight hour salary. Watch for bait and switch of false promises.
great place to work with a lot of good skilled people
Warehouse Journey Person (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL19 March 2016
All in a days work start with the stretch and flex and morning meeting cause safty always comes first.Follow employees working and watching out for each other and working good together makes for a great day.
Pros
Meeting so many good people
Cons
Some people jealous cause you work hard for what you get.
Excellent craft and staff
Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 July 2016
Excellent place to work and very safety driven , would love to see more projects from this company .
Safety Safety and more Safety
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB11 July 2016
Keiwit doesn't care about how fast work gets completed as long as nobody gets hurt. they understand that scheduling allows for enough time to complete the job without the need for rushing
Pros
Adequate pay for equally challenging work, over time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.

85%