Kiewit Employee Reviews

Overall good place to work
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton13 August 2014
7a.m. to 6 p.m. job, 8 days on and 6 days off.

Learned how to use SAP, CPS and PBS payroll systems. Worked with Microsoft Office. Perfected data entry frome timecards. Enjoyed the day to day work very much...there is a good variety and quantity of work is bearable for 11 hour days.

I enjoy the immediate co-workers I work with as well as my direct manager. Upper management does not communicate well with employees.

Several times I was promised raises and never received what I was promised. Wage increased by $0.25 after one year, which was embarrassing and disappointing.

The shift work was incredible. I felt as though I had a life outside my work during my shift and during turnaround.
Pros
Good co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
Lack of communication from management, promised raises and never got one
Very productive and organized place to work.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL1 September 2016
I absolutely loved my time working with Kiewit. I learned a lot about who I am as a person and during my time there I met some of the best people from all over the world. Working with Kiewit was my first experience in the construction/oil & gas field
Productive, challenging work environment
Construction Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL21 March 2016
The Bull Arm Hebron Project is the first of its kind in the world in that the scope of the 700 Slip Form was never attempted before. This presented numerous challenges from a planning, logistical and engineering point of view.

A typical work day began with a 6:30am meeting to plan work, a Stretch and Flex, and toolbox talk. Attendance would then be taken and the craft would begin the day at 7am.

As the Field Tech, it was my job to monitor attendance, source material, monitor production and track costs for the department when I was on shift. We rotated between day shift and night shift every two weeks.

A shift was always the same team members, from departmental staff to Exxon Mobil Management, which provided the opportunity to get to know the people you worked with on a personal as well as professional level.

I learned that it can be quite simple to plan a task on paper or in a board room, but the realtime execution of the task is where the unforeseen problems can arise. However, through proper planning and monitoring, any task can be broken down into a series of smaller tasks, making it that much more manageable.
Pros
Excellent work experience, relevant to what I want to do
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
my job as an operator
Zoom Boom Operator (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL11 May 2016
i love to go to work as an operator and learned new things ,i can work unsupervised, i can get long with anyone i go to work each day to make a living and to give my employer a good days work i work hard and injoy what i do ,my last employer was very pleased with my work.
Pros
i get to get a days work
Cons
getting laid off
Nice environment to work and employees are well compensated
Procurement Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver1 September 2015
I like the attitude of the people and how management treat their employees fairly. The company are equipping employees in the right direction to improve the quality of their work, giving them trainings, seminars and taking special coarses. Overall its a fun workplace.
Pros
a lot of company benifits
Cons
Non
Fun place to work
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2016
I really enjoyed working for Kiewit a very safety oriented company
awesome group of people to work with and for. Good experience and very knowledgeable group
Pros
Safety oriented Good Money
Great working conditions.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, Ontario2 April 2016
Kewit is the safety workplace who prides themselves doing the job safe .This company was the best I've ever had the chance to work for keep up the good work. Safety is top priority in this company it shows they care about you and your family more companies should take an example of this great company .
Pros
Long hours and can work 7 days plus
Cons
To many foremans on same job leads to confusion at times .
average company
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 September 2016
average company at many levels
high supervision lacking vision and knowledge
cut throat environment in supervision level
facilities are ok
Good company to work for.
Full time Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB21 November 2015
Safety is foremost. They take pride in there safe work practices. Salary and benefits are also very good. Good company to work for.
Great people and alot of great perks to be a happy and productive employee.
Safety Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 January 2015
I can't say anything bad about the company. Its project related so the project came to an end and there was no where to place me. I learned how to work productively with managers. I started off working there solely as time card entry. I entered timecards for the craft employees and at its perk it was about 800 plus employees. I moved up to payroll and was responsible to see that all those 800 employees were paid on time and accurately. I then was moved to the Safety Team and worked along side the safety manager who I learned was a great mentor.
Pros
Free lunch every Friday. Great benefits package. Great people to work with.
Cons
They had no where to place me.
Great Company better crew
Leadhand/Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake25 August 2016
Had a great time, working nights on a cable crew. Job is to last about 5 months.

Crew was awesome, great bunch of guys, very safe environment
Energetic, dedicated to excellence, hardworking company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2015
If you work for Kiewit, you must be somewhat willing to sacrifice personal time as the hours can be quite long. This would be one of the hardest parts of the job. You will however, learn that hardwork, dedication and your skills will be tested and honed so that you can move forward with confidence. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some amazing people on projects. In my position, advancement was tough as it was kind of an old boys' club. Management and the corporate structure of the company changed quite a bit during this time with Kiewit and this proved to be difficult for the employees as each new arrival wanted information in a different format and therefore broke the cohesion and flow of departments and reduced communication sometimes to the detriment of a project. However I must point out that I had worked for Kiewit in the 90's for 5 years and the management was a pleasure to work for.
Pros
You will push yourself to new levels and learn tonsl
Cons
Forget personal relationships due to long hours and travel
Excellent Safety Culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake5 February 2015
Good company overall, but some of the management team don't really have a clue. When a construction manager puts on a new hire (Green) hard hat, and partakes in spying on craft workers, you know the system is broken. One bad CM, don't mean there all bad. Just makes for an environment where the employees are afraid for there job. very much a micro managed company, but if you can get passed this fact. Then you will find crews are usually great, compensation and benefit package is very fair.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
micro managed, clueless CMs
good place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan7 May 2016
routine job that we do from A to Z , nice environment of work good team and co-worker, management very professional . enjoyable time was every week for meeting and discuss.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good hours
Safety Safety and more Safety
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB11 July 2016
Keiwit doesn't care about how fast work gets completed as long as nobody gets hurt. they understand that scheduling allows for enough time to complete the job without the need for rushing
Pros
Adequate pay for equally challenging work, over time
When I needed them the most they were not there.
Ironworker/Welder (Former Employee) –  BC16 September 2014
Worked for them this year on a project in British Columbia, I got hurt on the job. Everything was fine, management acted like they were behind me until I filed for compensation through WCB, I later found out they disputed my injury. They went as far as contacting WCB to tell them that they believed I was hurt that morning and that I wasn't feeling well(which was entirely made up)

Would NEVER work for Kiewitt or any CLAC affiliation ever again.
Pros
Not many come to mind.
Cons
Stabbed me in the back when I needed them.
Excellent craft and staff
Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 July 2016
Excellent place to work and very safety driven , would love to see more projects from this company .
Great place to work!!
Steam fitter /QA/QC (Current Employee) –  Edmonton mod yard11 November 2012
Very safety oriented , great Benifits and great wages. Lots of OT steady work working night shift has its pros and cons. Fridays are optional. People are saying that management is no good but those are the people that are screwing up and losing there jobs. If your a hard worker and work smart and properly then you have nothing to worry about. If you are looking for a company with lots of room for advancement and safe steady work then Kiewit is the place to be
great place to work with a lot of good skilled people
Warehouse Journey Person (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL19 March 2016
All in a days work start with the stretch and flex and morning meeting cause safty always comes first.Follow employees working and watching out for each other and working good together makes for a great day.
Pros
Meeting so many good people
Cons
Some people jealous cause you work hard for what you get.
Good for a while
Environmental Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2015
There are some definite perks to working here, including competitive compensation, annual pay increases and paid time off, but there is very poor work/life balance.