Kiewit Employee Reviews

amazing place to work
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB3 January 2017
Great place to work, good foremans and good supers. great wage. Lots of great co-workers, would definitely love to work there again.
Safety oriented company
Welder/Fitter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB15 September 2016
I learned a lot about safety working for Kiewit. The hardest part of my job at first was getting used to the safety culture that Kiewit actually believes in and works by. I learned a great deal about how planning a job comes together and how to become a good leader.
it was a good place to work i learned a lot of new techniques in how to install concrete.
concrete finisher / point and patch (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ON22 September 2016
my job was to pour and place concrete and to patch any deficiencies at the dam.
i learned what it takes to build a power dam.
the hardest part of my job was to be away from my family for 28 days at a time
there was a good core of guys to work with they where ready to help you when you needed it.
Productive and Safe
Pipefitting Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 December 2016
Kiewit Energy and everyone involved with their success are outstanding individuals who encourage a safe working environment and a quality product. Great Company.
Lots of great people to work with
Canadian District Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2015
Safety culture was great. Any and all training was paid for and provided by the company. lots of job perks, like travel, lunches and staff functions
Pros
great salary
Cons
Long hours, no work lift balance
Not Honest When Hiring
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB1 November 2016
Hired for a 3 month project that was really only 2x14 day shifts. They knew this as soon as I showed up on site. Quite another job to take this one. Not impressed.
Pros
Big jobs
Cons
Dishonest recruiting process
HD Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Squamish BC, Fort McMurray AB12 October 2015
Perform job that was given to you in the morning. i did my apprenticeship here so i learned pretty much everything here. Its as good lots of people to help with daily tasks and you were given tasks to do on your own also which helped in learning. Management was good they treated their employees with respect and awarded then for jobs well done or for saving the company money.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not sure where your next job would be
Kos
Journeyman Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cow Head, NL20 February 2017
The company was great to work for but the Union was not very supportive. I've learned much about safety and also enjoyed the structural offshore work experience.
N/a
Building Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 February 2017
Good company with great working environment. Employees enjoy great camaraderie with each other. Days are long and often you are required to work weekends.
Terrible
Contract Management (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 October 2015
Old Boys Club,

Might be OK once they all retire in a few years.
The company is desperately trying to re-brand itself to a more modern company that is tolerant and supportive of work life balance and functional families.

But until these old dogs are gone its just talk, they run the show and enforce 7-7 on a eight hour salary. Watch for bait and switch of false promises.
professional company
Industrial Insulator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK4 September 2016
good management and mentor program. working conditions very good and the CVIS program between craftand management is a useful tool
Pros
good wages
Cons
Overall good place to work
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton13 August 2014
7a.m. to 6 p.m. job, 8 days on and 6 days off.

Learned how to use SAP, CPS and PBS payroll systems. Worked with Microsoft Office. Perfected data entry frome timecards. Enjoyed the day to day work very much...there is a good variety and quantity of work is bearable for 11 hour days.

I enjoy the immediate co-workers I work with as well as my direct manager. Upper management does not communicate well with employees.

Several times I was promised raises and never received what I was promised. Wage increased by $0.25 after one year, which was embarrassing and disappointing.

The shift work was incredible. I felt as though I had a life outside my work during my shift and during turnaround.
Pros
Good co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
Lack of communication from management, promised raises and never got one
Home
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL29 November 2016
Very close to home which don't happen often. Home every day with the kids. Can't ask for much more. Wife loves it and the paid was very good.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Little parking
Great Place to work.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB22 August 2016
Great place to work, above average pay, great camp to stay at while working, not a lot of job security. Friendly co-workers all worked well with each other.
Very productive and organized place to work.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL1 September 2016
I absolutely loved my time working with Kiewit. I learned a lot about who I am as a person and during my time there I met some of the best people from all over the world. Working with Kiewit was my first experience in the construction/oil & gas field
Excellant company to work for.
Construction/ Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2016
Kiewit is a well oiled machine, the people are committed and the process and procedures are second to none.
They look after their key people and even when things are slow they look after you.
The training programs for staff is exceptional and the advancement opportunities are only restricted to your own desire to advance.
The only down side for me with Kiewit is you must be prepared to travel to projects just about anywhere. Some people really enjoy this but not in my forte.
Pros
Well oiled Machine
Cons
Travel
Nice environment to work and employees are well compensated
Procurement Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver1 September 2015
I like the attitude of the people and how management treat their employees fairly. The company are equipping employees in the right direction to improve the quality of their work, giving them trainings, seminars and taking special coarses. Overall its a fun workplace.
Pros
a lot of company benifits
Cons
Non
Productive, challenging work environment
Construction Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL21 March 2016
The Bull Arm Hebron Project is the first of its kind in the world in that the scope of the 700 Slip Form was never attempted before. This presented numerous challenges from a planning, logistical and engineering point of view.

A typical work day began with a 6:30am meeting to plan work, a Stretch and Flex, and toolbox talk. Attendance would then be taken and the craft would begin the day at 7am.

As the Field Tech, it was my job to monitor attendance, source material, monitor production and track costs for the department when I was on shift. We rotated between day shift and night shift every two weeks.

A shift was always the same team members, from departmental staff to Exxon Mobil Management, which provided the opportunity to get to know the people you worked with on a personal as well as professional level.

I learned that it can be quite simple to plan a task on paper or in a board room, but the realtime execution of the task is where the unforeseen problems can arise. However, through proper planning and monitoring, any task can be broken down into a series of smaller tasks, making it that much more manageable.
Pros
Excellent work experience, relevant to what I want to do
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Great people and alot of great perks to be a happy and productive employee.
Safety Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 January 2015
I can't say anything bad about the company. Its project related so the project came to an end and there was no where to place me. I learned how to work productively with managers. I started off working there solely as time card entry. I entered timecards for the craft employees and at its perk it was about 800 plus employees. I moved up to payroll and was responsible to see that all those 800 employees were paid on time and accurately. I then was moved to the Safety Team and worked along side the safety manager who I learned was a great mentor.
Pros
Free lunch every Friday. Great benefits package. Great people to work with.
Cons
They had no where to place me.
Excellent Safety Culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake5 February 2015
Good company overall, but some of the management team don't really have a clue. When a construction manager puts on a new hire (Green) hard hat, and partakes in spying on craft workers, you know the system is broken. One bad CM, don't mean there all bad. Just makes for an environment where the employees are afraid for there job. very much a micro managed company, but if you can get passed this fact. Then you will find crews are usually great, compensation and benefit package is very fair.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
micro managed, clueless CMs