Kiewit

Kiewit Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
1 Kokish
Concrete finisher (Former Employee), Vancouver Island, BCNovember 26, 2013
Pros: if your a foreman your hrs are padded
Cons: open your mouth with the truth fired
Most of the high up kiewit employees are coke heads or drunks they show up on site hungover or with drawl from drugs.I couldn't believe the amount of favortism among long time buddy's or employees you could get your foot in the door unless you deal drugs or party hard with them therefore it's hard to get in with this company
Great bunch of guys to work with
Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 18, 2013
There was always fun to be had at work with the crew I was on. Even after I was laid off there was continued contact with the guys on the crew. I really miss working with them. Hope one day we are all back on the same crew on another project
Productive, fast paced and safe
Equipment Operator/Forman (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2013
Pros: safety orientated, organized
Cons: poor communication
Every morning the site services team assembled to discuss the work scope for the day followed by a team stretch and flex to avoid physical injury. Everyone would then write out a Job Hazard review for there specific tasks for the day. JHA's would then be signed off by the Forman or superintendent.
As the equipment operator/Truck driver for the site, – more... I would do pre trip inspections on all my equipment i would be operating for the day. (zoom boom, skid steer and Tractor trailer)
I would go to various areas of the mod yard taking calls on the radio for lifting pipe spools, scaffold racks or anything that needed moving with the zoom boom or skid steer. I also was responsible for bringing trailers over from our Lay down yard with pipe spools and various materials for continuing on construction of the mods.
Working at Kiewit Mod yard was very fast paced and saftey orientated. I enjoyed the challenge of keeping up with the pace and doing it without incident. – less
Good company
General Labourer (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCOctober 23, 2013
I had to leave the company for lack of work. Apart from that it was a good company
needs experiance management
Carpenter (Current Employee), pointe du oisSeptember 27, 2013
Didn't listen if you weren't a Forman or higher

jkbdjekhlskjcljsdj slfnkfhjhff
kjhsjhkhfkjf skfnksfkkjfdn
filing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Conklin, ABJuly 17, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: no transportation provided
experience was good. learned how to file maps. there was little direction but I managed to catch the hang of things quickly.
They will drop you like a bad habit
Heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee), Kearl lakeJune 19, 2013
Pros: camp/flights - (if they don't cost to much for them)
Cons: over protective (full ppe while riding in pick ups), & no commitment to you
At Kiewit you work hard 14/7 shift 12 hour days (Paid for 11.5)
So in return they cut your days off short, don't get you're proper flights, forget to put you in camp & when you return from days off you get to camp around 4pm & start night shift the same day.
Terrible foremen, & project managers (on the maintenance side of things)
Then after all that – more... you take a flight off to drive home so you can have a vehicle on your days off, the foremen prints you off directions on the quickest way to drive home, you spend 1000$ on gas & bills to get there, and then he calls you when your home & lays you off saying " you don't deserve a reason why".
That is Kiewit Kearl Lake maintenance division, I hope this steers a few future maintenance employees away & saves you some head aches. – less
Good Safety Culture
Journeyman Red Seal Crane Operator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2013
The key to becoming the best is always being open to learn something new and never thinking that you know it all.

I am ready to expand my experience into different fields and types of work.
productive and fun workplace
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 21, 2013
Pros: travel to and from workplace
Cons: got laid off
I went to work management was good, had stuff to do and co-workers were excellent
55+ hour workweek for 40 hours salary
QC Tec (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 20, 2013
Pros: get to build something
Cons: they own you, or at least they will pretend they do
If you are interested in joining a company where you will be working all the time and not being paid for it, then this is just the company for you. I was told I would be working a 40 hour work week. Upon joining I noticed everyone works 50 hours a week. Add to that unpaid overtime and a compliance policy that it soaked in fear that few people in supervisory – more... positions adhere to and you will be looking for different work just after you start. The "Christian" "union" although it looks like it supports the workers, it actually works for Kiewit. They are the same entity and work together to protect themselves, not you. Add to that extra unpaid meetings in the morning in exchange for coffee and donuts. It is what it is. They get away with it because it's an American company operating in Canada. Their response to not paying overtime was to pay it, but reduce wages. Win/Win for them and the "union", not for you. Lots of promises, hardly ever keeping to them. – less
Overall good place to work and learn
Maintenance Foreman (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 17, 2013
Good place to work!! Has many benefits but the hardest part is being away from family for extended periods of time since its a camp job.
Lots of oppurtunity for Advancment and Skill Development
Piping and Hydro Test Superintendent (Current Employee), EdmontonMay 10, 2013
Pros: career advancement
Cons: lack of a work life balance
Kiewit is a to place to learn multiple skills and develop your career by advancing through the ranks. The hours are demanding which may hinder the work life balance.
Every day is a new day
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 12, 2013
Pros: camp work
Cons: camp work
I am always learning as much as I can everyday at work. I learn the site, the job, about other coworkers jobs and about my coworkers. I have a great group of coworkers. I enjoy learning new things.
Hiway 1 East seg.
swamper on lowbed (Former Employee), Hiway 1 East SegmentApril 10, 2013
I was a hard working Employee with a Boom Truck cert, Superintendent hired the foremen's brother and gave him my job.
This company practices and favours nepotism. I would love to work for Kiewit again as a boom truck operator but the Superintendent
has black lists me,

June 22, 2013

The same thing happened to my husband through Stantec out of Edmonton. They contacted him and gave him a great spiel and package to work out of camp up north, so good that after his 90 days were in I quit my job and we moved to Red Deer where our daughter lives, just as the moving truck arrived he was let go. It seems the boss' brother was completeing his EMR which my husband had 20 years experience and he made up some bogus reason to let him go, told HR another reason and put the brother in my husbands position. He's been actively looking for work for the last 3 months with nothing, I suspect he may have also been black listed by Stantec. These big companies should not be allowed to get away with tampering with peoples lives. It's sure true when they say it's not your experience or what you know but who you know to get the good jobs.

not a good company to work for
operator (Former Employee), edmontonMarch 21, 2013
Cons: foreign workers
No communication what so ever employees do not know English worst company i have ever work for. Stay away from this outfit they are trouble!
Excellent place to learn but starve doing it
Superintendent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 5, 2013
Pros: excellent management staff
Cons: low salary
Kiewit is a great place for new engineers to "get their feet wet" within the industry but maybe not the best place for more experienced individuals to work as their salary level are subpar when compared to the competition.
Worst company I have ever worked for
Admin (Former Employee), Fort McmurrayMarch 5, 2013
Pros: none!
Cons: long hours, low pay
I worked at k2 mining at kearl lake and it was the wort camp job I had ever worked at. The management is horrible and they will work you as much as they can and won't compensate!
Nice camp accomodation and good discipline on site and camp and the best was dry camp
Electrician journeyman (master) (Former Employee), Kearl Lake Project in Fort MckayFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: good discipline and high level safety, free accomodation
Cons: foreman to young, no body seem to know what it going on at the end of contract
Working day was ok I learn heat tracing comissionnig tha managment like forman a bit to young, good interaction between employee, the hardest part of the job listen to negative people and the most enjoyables was to learn, have all the tools to make the job done and the security sa we can go home in one piece.
good company to work for.
Carpenter (Former Employee), Esterhazy,SKFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: free lunches, travel money, loa and rsps
Cons: long hours
they were good to people who did there job. people who didnt do there job got let go.
good company to work for
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee), fort macmurray albertaFebruary 12, 2013
was a good company to work for ,although for unforeseen circumstances layed off ,

About Kiewit

Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth – Read more