Kiewit Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast paced and rewarding work environment
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 14, 2015
The ability to work on nearly any kind of project imaginable is incredibly rewarding. You can head to a hydro dam retrofit or a nuclear power plant, a co-gen power plant, an LRT line, or the building of a new hospital, or countless other projects. The amount you can learn is endless.

The work environment is always faced paced but the quality of the people there make it very easy to forget stress and turn out incredible work.

The hardest part of the job is really only trying to determine where you are going next!
Pros
Learning experiences galore
Cons
some days can get long, and not knowing where you are going after your current project can be stressful
good place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  SaskatchewanMay 7, 2016
routine job that we do from A to Z , nice environment of work good team and co-worker, management very professional . enjoyable time was every week for meeting and discuss.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good hours
Productive and safe workplace for construction
CAD Engineer/Field Engineer/Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
Safety management is best where I have ever known. Salary and benefits are very good and with good life balance. Quality control is so so.
Very Aggressive Company
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
Sometimes profits get in the way of safety but all in all a good company to work for. A majority of the time they promote the wrong people for the position and they end up paying for it in the end.
Excellent craft and staff
Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 22, 2016
Excellent place to work and very safety driven , would love to see more projects from this company .
decent place to work
Fitter/welder/ironworker (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 24, 2016
not too bad workers are awesome they provide good ppe safety is over the top the tools are all provided for your job they provide coffee and utensils for eating if you forget to bring yours.
Pros
workers are great
Cons
too much blame on the workers
great enviroment
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
safety is a number one concern, productivity and morale followed right behind! worked with a good group of guys who put in a solid effort daily.
Fun environment but you work hard
FIELD ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABMay 9, 2016
Long days
structured company, almost always someone to report to and they have someone they report to etc.
Fun people to work with for the most part
Good work environment
Heavy equipement operator (Former Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 18, 2015
Safety is taken very seriously
Benefits included
Great crews
Organised leadership
Fun work place with supportive management.
Electrical intern (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 30, 2016
Its a great work environment with a focus on safety and the well being of the employees. It is a great place to work no matter who you are.
Pros
Great overall work environment
Cons
quite far away for me
Good company to work for.
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  ManitobaApril 17, 2016
Professional company with good honest bosses, they ensure safety is a top priority, follow all protocols, acts, and comply to all laws and regulations.
Pros
Professional workers
Cons
Working schedule
Overall good place to work
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 13, 2014
7a.m. to 6 p.m. job, 8 days on and 6 days off.

Learned how to use SAP, CPS and PBS payroll systems. Worked with Microsoft Office. Perfected data entry frome timecards. Enjoyed the day to day work very much...there is a good variety and quantity of work is bearable for 11 hour days.

I enjoy the immediate co-workers I work with as well as my direct manager. Upper management does not communicate well with employees.

Several times I was promised raises and never received what I was promised. Wage increased by $0.25 after one year, which was embarrassing and disappointing.

The shift work was incredible. I felt as though I had a life outside my work during my shift and during turnaround.
Pros
good co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
lack of communication from management, promised raises and never got one
Great Company
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
Depends on the project you are on but they have a great support system to help you learn and do your job efficiently. You will do weld inspection, turnover, vessel inspection, document review, QA walkdowns and Tri-party walks
Challenging but rewarding environment
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis JunctionApril 21, 2016
I enjoyed the challenge that the construction industry brings and working together with my colleagues to complete the project successfuly and on time.
enjoyable place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABMarch 15, 2016
Learned a lot of safety , Kiewit goes the extra mile to make sure safety is always the number one . CSA are constantly making sure all new employees are given proper training and assigned the proper mentors before heading out in the field
Pros
good work, good wages
Cons
too many staff
very busy and productive place to work
heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 26, 2016
I learned many parts of working with different trades being an equipment operator. Kiewit is a very safety based company which made it nice to come to work knowing you could stay safe.
Pros
safety awards. Barbecues
Cons
supervision with little or no experience in certain trades
Great Learning Experience
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLFebruary 9, 2016
I've worked here for 3 weeks during a work exposure and I've learned a lot in those three weeks. I've enjoyed working there and I always got satisfaction from actually getting to complete real work.
Pros
Staff here were always willing to help out if I found difficulty
enjoyed my time their
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 18, 2016
Kiewit mod yard was a very rewarding job very high saftey standards and reliable planning and management i enjoyed my time working for them.
Excellent Company
Estimating Engineer (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 4, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Has opportunity for growth. Compensation is average. Management listens to your requests.
Very good environment for learning, progressing and putting out the best work I possibly could
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BCJuly 6, 2016
Working with Kiewit on the highway1/port mann bridge improvement project was great. I was hired right out of school and the training they provided me really helped me considering I did not have any really previous work experience as a Surveyor. I was on night shift for the majority of the project because the road work couldn't be done during the day. I was put in charge of the major road milling and paving projects using specialized survey techniques such as the first 3D milling machine using total stations and DTM files. On our off days we would do a lot of layout and monitoring. I also completed the majority of the projects lazer scanning of highway elevations and overpasses. The management was often very disorganized but it worked to my advantage because it forced me to make my own decisions and learn new things on my own. The hardest part of my job was the hours. I love night shift, that was not the problem. The problem was we were having to do 6 and 7 day weeks almost all the time, especially during the nicer months for weather for paving. But, it also was an advantage because of the hours we were able to bank. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was my first surveying job and once I broke through the learning curve it made work a lot more fun knowing exactly what I was doing. I felt accomplished.
Pros
lots of work, great training before being thrown into things, good support from management
Cons
Too much work at times, Rushing to get the job done by deadline forced us to work 24 days in a row at one point, But this only made me stronger and I can do extra days no problem now because I am used to it