Kiewit

Kiewit Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
55+ hour workweek for 40 hours salary
QC Tec (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 20, 2013
Pros: get to build something
Cons: they own you, or at least they will pretend they do
If you are interested in joining a company where you will be working all the time and not being paid for it, then this is just the company for you. I was told I would be working a 40 hour work week. Upon joining I noticed everyone works 50 hours a week. Add to that unpaid overtime and a compliance policy that it soaked in fear that few people in supervisory – more... positions adhere to and you will be looking for different work just after you start. The "Christian" "union" although it looks like it supports the workers, it actually works for Kiewit. They are the same entity and work together to protect themselves, not you. Add to that extra unpaid meetings in the morning in exchange for coffee and donuts. It is what it is. They get away with it because it's an American company operating in Canada. Their response to not paying overtime was to pay it, but reduce wages. Win/Win for them and the "union", not for you. Lots of promises, hardly ever keeping to them. – less
Overall good place to work and learn
Maintenance Foreman (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 17, 2013
Good place to work!! Has many benefits but the hardest part is being away from family for extended periods of time since its a camp job.
Lots of oppurtunity for Advancment and Skill Development
Piping and Hydro Test Superintendent (Current Employee), EdmontonMay 10, 2013
Pros: career advancement
Cons: lack of a work life balance
Kiewit is a to place to learn multiple skills and develop your career by advancing through the ranks. The hours are demanding which may hinder the work life balance.
Every day is a new day
Labourer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 12, 2013
Pros: camp work
Cons: camp work
I am always learning as much as I can everyday at work. I learn the site, the job, about other coworkers jobs and about my coworkers. I have a great group of coworkers. I enjoy learning new things.
Hiway 1 East seg.
swamper on lowbed (Former Employee), Hiway 1 East SegmentApril 10, 2013
I was a hard working Employee with a Boom Truck cert, Superintendent hired the foremen's brother and gave him my job.
This company practices and favours nepotism. I would love to work for Kiewit again as a boom truck operator but the Superintendent
has black lists me,

June 22, 2013

The same thing happened to my husband through Stantec out of Edmonton. They contacted him and gave him a great spiel and package to work out of camp up north, so good that after his 90 days were in I quit my job and we moved to Red Deer where our daughter lives, just as the moving truck arrived he was let go. It seems the boss' brother was completeing his EMR which my husband had 20 years experience and he made up some bogus reason to let him go, told HR another reason and put the brother in my husbands position. He's been actively looking for work for the last 3 months with nothing, I suspect he may have also been black listed by Stantec. These big companies should not be allowed to get away with tampering with peoples lives. It's sure true when they say it's not your experience or what you know but who you know to get the good jobs.

not a good company to work for
operator (Former Employee), edmontonMarch 21, 2013
Cons: foreign workers
No communication what so ever employees do not know English worst company i have ever work for. Stay away from this outfit they are trouble!
Excellent place to learn but starve doing it
Superintendent (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 5, 2013
Pros: excellent management staff
Cons: low salary
Kiewit is a great place for new engineers to "get their feet wet" within the industry but maybe not the best place for more experienced individuals to work as their salary level are subpar when compared to the competition.
Worst company I have ever worked for
Admin (Former Employee), Fort McmurrayMarch 5, 2013
Pros: none!
Cons: long hours, low pay
I worked at k2 mining at kearl lake and it was the wort camp job I had ever worked at. The management is horrible and they will work you as much as they can and won't compensate!
Nice camp accomodation and good discipline on site and camp and the best was dry camp
Electrician journeyman (master) (Former Employee), Kearl Lake Project in Fort MckayFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: good discipline and high level safety, free accomodation
Cons: foreman to young, no body seem to know what it going on at the end of contract
Working day was ok I learn heat tracing comissionnig tha managment like forman a bit to young, good interaction between employee, the hardest part of the job listen to negative people and the most enjoyables was to learn, have all the tools to make the job done and the security sa we can go home in one piece.
good company to work for.
Carpenter (Former Employee), Esterhazy,SKFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: free lunches, travel money, loa and rsps
Cons: long hours
they were good to people who did there job. people who didnt do there job got let go.
good company to work for
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee), fort macmurray albertaFebruary 12, 2013
was a good company to work for ,although for unforeseen circumstances layed off ,
good company to work for
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee), fort macmurray albertaFebruary 12, 2013
good company to work for ,safety is priority,accomadatioins and flights were provided
Enjoyable Atmosphere and Excellent leader for Safety
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee), Kearl LakeJanuary 24, 2013
Starting off I worked construction on the Froth project and then moved to the Completions department after a few months. Learn lots on safety and gained lots of experience doing all kinds of work.
Great Company
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Marystown, NLJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: hours
Money was great, Hours long, People were great. loved being a worker in the company.
I AM A HARD WORKING INDIVIDUAL,THAT PAYS ATTENTION TO DETAIL, ON TIME , RELIABLE, AND LOYAL WITH INTEGRITY
Skilled Labourer (Current Employee), Kapuskasing, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Cons: away from home for extended periods, sometimes long hours
-PLAN THE DAYS WORK
-REQUIRED AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS
-TRANSPORT AND SET UP EQUIPMENT
-WORK AROUND OTHERS AND TIGHT SPACES IN AN ORDERLY AND SAFE MANNER DUE TO PRESSURE AND THE NATURE OF THE WORK
-CO WORKERS ARE GREAT WITH KNOWLEDGE , HARD WORKERS UNDER EXTREME CONDITIONS,
-EVERYTHING IS HARD ,BUT REWARDING
- I LOVE EVERY ASPECT OF THE JOB
good company
Construction Millwright/Pipefitter (Former Employee), Christina Lake, AltaDecember 22, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
q Constructed and installed pumps, motors, turbines, fans and boilers in water treatment, aux boilers and steam and combustion turbine.
q Supervising lead pipefitters, welders and millwrights.
q Time keeping, conducting safety meetings, completing safe work permit applications, presenting progress reports to client, and all other related supervisory – more... tasks. – less
enjoyed the gym after work. Good food and good hours
laborer on K3 Potash Mosaic Mine Site (Former Employee), Esterhazy, SKDecember 13, 2012
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, room. pay. great crew.
Cons: long hours, 300 ft up, windy, dusty.
-12 hr days.
-Learned how a 24 hr pour worked.
-Management was good to work for.
-Great team to work with, got along with everyone.
-Doing the same thing for 12 hours.
-Wages, and the crew I worked with.
Not too bad
Superintendant (Current Employee), Fort McMurrayDecember 7, 2012
Pros: money
Cons: long hours, no money for ot
Its ok,,,,, good for advancement
Lots of potential for moving around
very coroperative people and good understanding of safety
Health, Safety& Environment Coordinator (Former Employee), Marystown, NLNovember 29, 2012
Pros: onsite access with vechile
Cons: night shift
great place to work ,good management communication,great safety policies and good people..i realy enjoyed working as a safety adviser at kiewit,and to them safety comes first...
Very management heavy
Electrician (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABNovember 21, 2012
Pros: close to home
Cons: morale
Very pushy management/supervision
Big on the buddy system

About Kiewit

Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth – Read more