Kiewit

Kiewit Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun place to work
Fabrication Lead Planner (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 14, 2012
Pros: comraderie, helping and leading one another
Cons: lack of communications from upper management
Very busy environment but fun at the same time.
Without team work success is slower.
Lack of communications with upper management
Co-workers are excellent! We work hard and still manage to de-stress ourselves.
Hardest part of the job is not being recognized for the hard work the team has put in. And only one person gets the credits.
Having a good team and seeing that we accomplish our targets is very rewarding.
Hard Working Environment, No Life-Work Balance
Field Engineer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 13, 2015
Pros: Participate in Great Construction Projects
Cons: No Work-Life Balance
If you like to work and continue to work on your days off, this is your work place. You get to work on interesting projects and your given lots of responsibility. Unfortunately when you go home, work doesn't stay at your desk.

Every co-worker you work with are hard working, but I would work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but commonly worked up to 14-15 hours a day on a regular basis. Not great compensation for the higher work hours.
Great learning experiences and challenges
Junior Civil Engineer (Former Employee), Kapuskasing, ONApril 5, 2014
Pros: continuous learning
Cons: away from home a lot, long hours
Safety is a never ending topic at Kiewit. They care about their people and invest in you. About 66% of your life is lived surrounded by people from your company, as you live at a camp for some remote work. Everyone is driven to excel in their job, enforcing a positive working environment. Management is more secluded from their people, as the opportunities in Kiewit tend to be larger scale projects.
Great place to work!!
Steam fitter /QA/QC (Current Employee), Edmonton mod yardNovember 11, 2012
Very safety oriented , great Benifits and great wages. Lots of OT steady work working night shift has its pros and cons. Fridays are optional. People are saying that management is no good but those are the people that are screwing up and losing there jobs. If your a hard worker and work smart and properly then you have nothing to worry about. If you are looking for a company with lots of room for advancement and safe steady work then Kiewit is the place to be
Terrible
Contract Management (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 19, 2015
Old Boys Club,

Might be OK once they all retire in a few years.
The company is desperately trying to re-brand itself to a more modern company that is tolerant and supportive of work life balance and functional families.

But until these old dogs are gone its just talk, they run the show and enforce 7-7 on a eight hour salary. Watch for bait and switch of false promises.
1 Kokish
Concrete finisher (Former Employee), Vancouver Island, BCNovember 26, 2013
Pros: if your a foreman your hrs are padded
Cons: open your mouth with the truth fired
Most of the high up kiewit employees are coke heads or drunks they show up on site hungover or with drawl from drugs.I couldn't believe the amount of favortism among long time buddy's or employees you could get your foot in the door unless you deal drugs or party hard with them therefore it's hard to get in with this company
Great company
Scaffolder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 21, 2014
Pros: good camp, paid flights
Cons: no job security
Typical day involved gathering material, building, and dismantling scaffolds. Learned how to build great scaffolds that were very stable and safe to work on. Hardest part was mobilizing material and lifting with gin wheel. Most enjoyable part was hearing other trades tell you they appreciated the great job we did erecting a safe scaffold that allowed them to do their job well.
Awesome coworkers, learned a LOT
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: HR staff is not inviting/friendly
A typical day is busy, but you learn a lot. It was never-ending learning and change, but if you are the type of person who likes that, it was fun!
The friendly and amazing coworkers I was lucky enough to work with definitely kept me at Kiewit for 5 years.
Mod yard management is horrible!
Fitter (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 1, 2014
Pros: home every night
Cons: upper management in yard
Only way to get ahead is kiss a$& in office. They didn't like when people spoke up and spoke there mind. Management would say one thing do another. Throw you under the bus any chance they got! Was a good place to work at first and went to complete sh.t past 6 months
Company that Does Not Care About Employee Safety
Surveyor (Former Employee), Vancouver BCJanuary 10, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: employee deaths, injuries
Multiple accidents occurred while I was employed there. When you try to report an incident the safety team ignores you. If you get injury compensation you will lose your job.
In addition, you are told to keep an eye out for environmental impacts but then ignored if you report them, as well.
enjoyed the gym after work. Good food and good hours
laborer on K3 Potash Mosaic Mine Site (Former Employee), Esterhazy, SKDecember 13, 2012
Pros: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, room. pay. great crew.
Cons: long hours, 300 ft up, windy, dusty.
-12 hr days.
-Learned how a 24 hr pour worked.
-Management was good to work for.
-Great team to work with, got along with everyone.
-Doing the same thing for 12 hours.
-Wages, and the crew I worked with.
Heavy Construction work Fastpaced but enjoyable workers.
Rebar Ironworker (Former Employee), Bull Arm, NLMarch 22, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: weather
When your day got started it was very physical,you quickly learn to work as a teamwith a good bunch of workers the hardest part of the job would have to be the conditions that you had to work in to get the job done.The most enjoyable part besides the physical workout is the people you work with and around.
Safety culture second to none
Electrical Apprentice Lead hand (Former Employee), Kearl Lake ABApril 16, 2015
Pros: Good salary
Cons: Too much micro managing by upper management. Communication wasn't the best
After your morning stretches, and your daily safety bulletin, you write your JHA. waiting for permits was the longest part of your day.
Foreman would allow you the space to work if you show competence.
Most appriciate hard work.
dont care about family life
Welder (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaNovember 14, 2012
Pros: not a lot to do
Cons: not a lot to do
Hired me for dayshift, then put me on night shift during orientation. Nightshift all foreign workers cant speak english. They couldnt care less that I have a family and my 74 yr old mother living with us. Ended up finding a different job on dayshift somewhere else
job at kearl
Crane Operator (Former Employee), Kearl Lake, ABAugust 19, 2012
Pros: education(extra training)
Cons: isolation(no way out of camp) ok because was working 7 days.
early mornings building construction, was always able to get training from management, wide variety of cultures of coworkers, sometimes had a hard times understanding languages, always enjoy new challenges, it seems to make the job interesting.
Best company I have ever worked for
Carpenter Lead Hand (Former Employee), Kapuskasing, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Great safety and work achievement awards
This company treated me great! It was the only time I have bounced out of bed everyday excited to go to work. They rewarded hard work and dedication, and had a great safety policy that helped the work crews rather than hindering them. I would work for this company anytime!
Set in the dark ages
Materials Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: 70 work for 40 hours pay, very unethical
They try to manage with an iron fist and promote people before they are close to being ready. They have a good game plan at the beginning of the job but everything soon falls apart and the blame game begins.
Kearl site was not Just a Job it was home for a year
Materials Control Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, AB/ kearl siteSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: felt like family
Cons: there was non
I loved working for Kiewit just the job was coming to an end.
We worked on a remote site so we were like family worked long days and stayed in camp. The crew was very fun and help full management was very understanding and helpful.
good safe educational place to work
Assistant welding superintendant (Current Employee), Marystown, NLSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: awards for saftey, some lunches
Cons: none
no job security as of contract work, otherwise very fun enjoyable place to work! most employees and office staff are friendly and helpful and as I was on a 14/7 rotation the transportation and accomadations were great!
Relaxing enviroment, easy to get along with team
Data Entry (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCApril 3, 2015
Pros: Free lunches provided by company
Cons: None
Enter information into spreadsheet and update information

how to view diagrams for drawings

very nice and understanding managers

very nice and easy to get a long with

hardest part none

most enjoyable was no pressure for getting work done