Kiewit

Kiewit Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and friendly envirement
Draftsperson (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 5, 2014
it is fun working with co-workers and supervisor, they are friendly and helpful. i learned new software, new system, new culture.
Good Company that keeps employees very informed on the happenings
Travel Coordinator (Former Employee), calgary, AbJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: appriciates all hard work
Cons: on call sometimes
Company does do a great job on informing empoyees on whats going on and whats new in the company
Worst company I have EVER worked for
Pressure welder (Former Employee), Fort MacJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: there are none
Cons: everything about this brutal company
Never ever ever EVER!!!! Work for this hack company. The so called "foreman" and "general foreman" were brutal!! I have more knowledge in my pinky finger then these clowns had. Poor management. Poor planners the WORST quality control personal I have ever encountered. There wasn't one good thing about the job I worked. I'll give you a good piece of advice. – more... If you want to work with real professionals join a REAL union. NOT CLAC!! There a joke. I can't believe these donkeys get work? It's mind boggling. Like I said if you want to be treated with respect and work with the pros GO UNION!! And this so called "63 union". ITS NOT A FLIPPING UNION it's a highway!! They gave me a hoodie with there name splattered all over it. Needless to say it went directly into the garbage cause that's where it belonged. Would be embarrassed to walk around and admitting that I worked for them lol. – less
overall good
Industrial Mechanic/Millwright Lead (Current Employee), fort mcmurrayJanuary 21, 2014
Great spot overall, job culture is great. Offers lots of challenges , and get to learn a great deal from other millwrights and other trades.
•the most enjoyable part of the job
foreman (Former Employee), edmonton mod yardJanuary 20, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the job is to be part of the construction of such big project and work with very smart and pro active people
It was an adventure.
Concrete Pump Operator (Former Employee), LMRPJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: big money in camp jobs
Cons: the lack of true leadership sucks the life out if the men and therefore the moral is in the toilet.
I had the opportunity to work with some great guys at camp, and got paid large for it. But never in my life have I encountered a more two faced, inexperienced, and arrogant group of people as the staff from Quebec!! WOW!!
They talk about "Team work", "Safety", "The importance of family", and the best one of all "Communication"!!
IT'S ALL TALK! The superintendents – more... are so worried about covering their back sides that they don't have the stones to do what's right for the men, and ultimately right for the company as a whole.
And I can't even imagine how much money the company loses because of the "battles" between the different departments! You would think they were competing companies-but they are just different Kiewit departments on the same job. It really boggles the mind!
But what do I know......? – less
Fast Paced environement
Senior Lead Material Controller (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 16, 2014
extreme challenges, fast paced environment, attention to details, long hours, procurement duties.
great place to work
Apprentice Steamfitter/Pipefitter - Third Year (Former Employee), Edmonton ABJanuary 14, 2014
great place to work, not to pushy, forman are great. good location from home. will return when they have work.
Good wage for home every night work
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 31, 2013
Pros: good wage, home every night
Cons: not following through with promises from management
I worked here for over a year, the upper management would preach down rules and promises that were never backed up. They had great intentions that would be out weighed by a schedule of pushing out mods quicker. Several employees were asked to join a "core group" by John Macpherson the manager, but this wasnt backed up and 90% of those asked to join – more... were laid off with no transfers. Lots of talk of core values and what really matters but not a lot of action to back it up – less
Great experience
Lead Hand (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 5, 2013
Cons: limited growth opportunity, training
Large company with lots of work available. Great crew, not a lot of advancement opportunities
regular type of work place in Fort McMurray
Construction Millwright (Lead Hand) (Current Employee), Kiewit Construction, Fort McMurrayNovember 26, 2013
My co-workers are great. The food is good and the accommodations are clean.
1 Kokish
Concrete finisher (Former Employee), Vancouver Island, BCNovember 26, 2013
Pros: if your a foreman your hrs are padded
Cons: open your mouth with the truth fired
Most of the high up kiewit employees are coke heads or drunks they show up on site hungover or with drawl from drugs.I couldn't believe the amount of favortism among long time buddy's or employees you could get your foot in the door unless you deal drugs or party hard with them therefore it's hard to get in with this company
Great bunch of guys to work with
Labourer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 18, 2013
There was always fun to be had at work with the crew I was on. Even after I was laid off there was continued contact with the guys on the crew. I really miss working with them. Hope one day we are all back on the same crew on another project
Productive, fast paced and safe
Equipment Operator/Forman (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2013
Pros: safety orientated, organized
Cons: poor communication
Every morning the site services team assembled to discuss the work scope for the day followed by a team stretch and flex to avoid physical injury. Everyone would then write out a Job Hazard review for there specific tasks for the day. JHA's would then be signed off by the Forman or superintendent.
As the equipment operator/Truck driver for the site, – more... I would do pre trip inspections on all my equipment i would be operating for the day. (zoom boom, skid steer and Tractor trailer)
I would go to various areas of the mod yard taking calls on the radio for lifting pipe spools, scaffold racks or anything that needed moving with the zoom boom or skid steer. I also was responsible for bringing trailers over from our Lay down yard with pipe spools and various materials for continuing on construction of the mods.
Working at Kiewit Mod yard was very fast paced and saftey orientated. I enjoyed the challenge of keeping up with the pace and doing it without incident. – less
Good company
General Labourer (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 23, 2013
I had to leave the company for lack of work. Apart from that it was a good company
needs experiance management
Carpenter (Current Employee), pointe du oisSeptember 27, 2013
Didn't listen if you weren't a Forman or higher

jkbdjekhlskjcljsdj slfnkfhjhff
kjhsjhkhfkjf skfnksfkkjfdn
filing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Conklin, ABJuly 17, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: no transportation provided
experience was good. learned how to file maps. there was little direction but I managed to catch the hang of things quickly.
They will drop you like a bad habit
Heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee), Kearl lakeJune 19, 2013
Pros: camp/flights - (if they don't cost to much for them)
Cons: over protective (full ppe while riding in pick ups), & no commitment to you
At Kiewit you work hard 14/7 shift 12 hour days (Paid for 11.5)
So in return they cut your days off short, don't get you're proper flights, forget to put you in camp & when you return from days off you get to camp around 4pm & start night shift the same day.
Terrible foremen, & project managers (on the maintenance side of things)
Then after all that – more... you take a flight off to drive home so you can have a vehicle on your days off, the foremen prints you off directions on the quickest way to drive home, you spend 1000$ on gas & bills to get there, and then he calls you when your home & lays you off saying " you don't deserve a reason why".
That is Kiewit Kearl Lake maintenance division, I hope this steers a few future maintenance employees away & saves you some head aches. – less
Good Safety Culture
Journeyman Red Seal Crane Operator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2013
The key to becoming the best is always being open to learn something new and never thinking that you know it all.

I am ready to expand my experience into different fields and types of work.
productive and fun workplace
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 21, 2013
Pros: travel to and from workplace
Cons: got laid off
I went to work management was good, had stuff to do and co-workers were excellent

About Kiewit

Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth – Read more