Kiewit Employee Reviews

Good relationship building and strong project management office
Project SSHE Manager (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NewfoundlandSeptember 27, 2016
Commence with review of shift reports and then prepare for Production / Safety Management meeting. Provide direction and leadership to safety, health, environment, security and emergency response teams.
Conduct safety analysis and trending of incidents, coordinate HAZID and Risk Assessment for job activity, review project procedures ad management of change.
Meet with Level 1 managers and provide updates on safety to project director. Facilitate monthly client / contractor SSHE Steering Committee meetings and provide project updates and trending.
At beginning of project, Multi cultural workforce and management created a challenge in understanding work processes and personalities. Leadership forums helped the understanding completed a strong 'one team' approach. This at the beginning was difficult, however became the most enjoyable in learning about eacvh culture on the project.
Pros
Team Buildings. Being a component of a dynamic team
Cons
it was a good place to work i learned a lot of new techniques in how to install concrete.
concrete finisher / point and patch (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONSeptember 22, 2016
my job was to pour and place concrete and to patch any deficiencies at the dam.
i learned what it takes to build a power dam.
the hardest part of my job was to be away from my family for 28 days at a time
there was a good core of guys to work with they where ready to help you when you needed it.
Pushes Hard, Compensates Well
Co-op Student - Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABSeptember 17, 2016
I worked with Kiewit for 8 months as a co-op student and it was great other than flying in and out. I loved the work and the location but it put strain on personal relationships. They pay well, and expect you to earn it. The safety and job culture are great and so is the possibility of career advancement.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Fly in/out
Safety oriented company
Welder/Fitter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABSeptember 15, 2016
I learned a lot about safety working for Kiewit. The hardest part of my job at first was getting used to the safety culture that Kiewit actually believes in and works by. I learned a great deal about how planning a job comes together and how to become a good leader.
average company
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABSeptember 6, 2016
average company at many levels
high supervision lacking vision and knowledge
cut throat environment in supervision level
facilities are ok
professional company
Industrial Insulator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 4, 2016
good management and mentor program. working conditions very good and the CVIS program between craftand management is a useful tool
Pros
good wages
Fun place to work
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Kiewit a very safety oriented company
awesome group of people to work with and for. Good experience and very knowledgeable group
Pros
Safety oriented Good Money
Cons
Very productive and organized place to work.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLSeptember 1, 2016
I absolutely loved my time working with Kiewit. I learned a lot about who I am as a person and during my time there I met some of the best people from all over the world. Working with Kiewit was my first experience in the construction/oil & gas field
Great Company better crew
Leadhand/Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kearl LakeAugust 25, 2016
Had a great time, working nights on a cable crew. Job is to last about 5 months.

Crew was awesome, great bunch of guys, very safe environment
Great Place to work.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABAugust 22, 2016
Great place to work, above average pay, great camp to stay at while working, not a lot of job security. Friendly co-workers all worked well with each other.
Excellent craft and staff
Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 22, 2016
Excellent place to work and very safety driven , would love to see more projects from this company .
not a team company!!
rigger/labourer (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONJuly 11, 2016
very racist!!!,, take advantage of workers.. they do not like Indians,,, and or anyone whom is not French,,,or can speak French!!!!
Pros
job threats
Cons
you can be replaced, always threated
Safety Safety and more Safety
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABJuly 11, 2016
Keiwit doesn't care about how fast work gets completed as long as nobody gets hurt. they understand that scheduling allows for enough time to complete the job without the need for rushing
Pros
Adequate pay for equally challenging work, over time
Work here at your own risk
Engineering and Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
This company expects employees to drop your life with little to no notice to relocate or begin working at a work site. Senior employees are laid off to make way for numerous interns who have no work experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Zero job security, no work-life balance
Very good environment for learning, progressing and putting out the best work I possibly could
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BCJuly 6, 2016
Working with Kiewit on the highway1/port mann bridge improvement project was great. I was hired right out of school and the training they provided me really helped me considering I did not have any really previous work experience as a Surveyor. I was on night shift for the majority of the project because the road work couldn't be done during the day. I was put in charge of the major road milling and paving projects using specialized survey techniques such as the first 3D milling machine using total stations and DTM files. On our off days we would do a lot of layout and monitoring. I also completed the majority of the projects lazer scanning of highway elevations and overpasses. The management was often very disorganized but it worked to my advantage because it forced me to make my own decisions and learn new things on my own. The hardest part of my job was the hours. I love night shift, that was not the problem. The problem was we were having to do 6 and 7 day weeks almost all the time, especially during the nicer months for weather for paving. But, it also was an advantage because of the hours we were able to bank. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was my first surveying job and once I broke through the learning curve it made work a lot more fun knowing exactly what I was doing. I felt accomplished.
Pros
lots of work, great training before being thrown into things, good support from management
Cons
Too much work at times, Rushing to get the job done by deadline forced us to work 24 days in a row at one point, But this only made me stronger and I can do extra days no problem now because I am used to it
productive
Indentured Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB, Regina, SKJune 29, 2016
a typical day at work consisted over general electrical duties followed after a morning PTI, i learned most of my experience in industrial electrical from the company. met some great upper management to look up to and learn from, worked with various people all over the world. the hardest part was communication the most enjoyable part was on spot problem solving
Pros
good benefits
Cons
working away in camp
Excellent company to work for
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 17, 2016
Plenty of hours, great guys to be around, great pay and excellent benefits

free lunches once a month and for holidays
very understanding of holiday time
Working at Kearl Lake is not that bad
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Bethune, SKJune 14, 2016
The only problem I didn't really like is the long one hour drive to work everyday back and forth to camp. It just seems very unnessacary.
great enviroment
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
safety is a number one concern, productivity and morale followed right behind! worked with a good group of guys who put in a solid effort daily.
saftyfirst
journeyman ironworker (Former Employee) –  CanadaMay 20, 2016
worked for Kiewit in the past and enjoyed learning new things about any trade hope to work for them in the future. co-workers were great to work with and I was taught new skills about the trade