Kiewit Employee Reviews

Was very difficult to move to a higher position
Piping Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL29 January 2017
Management positions were filled with relatively young people that did not leave much space for other people to move up. Stuck in a entry level position doing mindless tasks all day. Benefits were were good at first with rrsp but got reduced at the later part of the project. Raises we very little even with the best performing people. Company spends on district meetings and training rather than increasing their salaries.
Pros
Free Lunches
Good company, with good benefits
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 January 2017
Good company, always great people on the various jobs I've been a part of. Good wages and competitive benefits. Most recently worked at the k+s potash mine in Regina, SK. Had a great camp and the job was full of new challenges. Great experience.
Pros
Great people, good wages, oppurtunity for advancement.
Cons
Work away from home, long flights.
Fun and rewarding company to work for
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB29 January 2017
Treated their employers right and made you feel like part of a team. Very good employee benefits packing and being paid accordingly. Long hours but enough time to get the job done right with the right material.
productive
Indentured Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB, Regina, SK29 June 2016
a typical day at work consisted over general electrical duties followed after a morning PTI, i learned most of my experience in industrial electrical from the company. met some great upper management to look up to and learn from, worked with various people all over the world. the hardest part was communication the most enjoyable part was on spot problem solving
Pros
good benefits
Cons
working away in camp
Graet job
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2016
Awesome times working here. Top shelf employer with great pay and benefits. Treated workers with respect and always kept us busy.
Productive with room for fast advancement
GENERAL SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Alberta8 December 2016
Over my years with Kiewit I have had the opportunity to work with some great people. I have learnt allot about the business and how to professionally conduct myself around the client and coworkers.
The Kiewit management group is constantly pushing you to strive to be the best at everything you do and hold you accountable. Some days you ask yourself WHY do I do this to myself and others you are loving it.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
can be over micromanaged
Good relationship building and strong project management office
Project SSHE Manager (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, Newfoundland27 September 2016
Commence with review of shift reports and then prepare for Production / Safety Management meeting. Provide direction and leadership to safety, health, environment, security and emergency response teams.
Conduct safety analysis and trending of incidents, coordinate HAZID and Risk Assessment for job activity, review project procedures ad management of change.
Meet with Level 1 managers and provide updates on safety to project director. Facilitate monthly client / contractor SSHE Steering Committee meetings and provide project updates and trending.
At beginning of project, Multi cultural workforce and management created a challenge in understanding work processes and personalities. Leadership forums helped the understanding completed a strong 'one team' approach. This at the beginning was difficult, however became the most enjoyable in learning about eacvh culture on the project.
Pros
Team Buildings. Being a component of a dynamic team
Cons
Great employee owned and operated company
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB30 September 2016
My experience with management was exceptional. This company is full of talented hard working professionals. Expect long hours and many challenges as this company has no trouble giving opportunities to go-getters and can-do people.
Pros
Reward for hard work
Cons
Long hours not always for extra pay.
Excellent company to work for
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 June 2016
Plenty of hours, great guys to be around, great pay and excellent benefits

free lunches once a month and for holidays
very understanding of holiday time
Productive and safe workplace for construction
CAD Engineer/Field Engineer/Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2016
Safety management is best where I have ever known. Salary and benefits are very good and with good life balance. Quality control is so so.
Not just a career but a lifestyle
scheduling (Current Employee) –  NL10 December 2015
This company can be very demanding with the amount of travel, being away from home and the long hours that are expected. Majority of my co-workers throughout the 9 years I was with this company could not handle it and moved on to greener pastures. They weren't very good at managing their most important assets - people. A lot of decisions were last minute and they expected people to move at the drop of dime. They hire a lot of young people and exploit them making them work demanding positions with long hours and little compensation for the work involved. It tends to be a good way though for younger people to gain experience and Kiewit will usually allow younger people to work these demanding positions.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
Kiewit Lifestyle
Pushes Hard, Compensates Well
Co-op Student - Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB17 September 2016
I worked with Kiewit for 8 months as a co-op student and it was great other than flying in and out. I loved the work and the location but it put strain on personal relationships. They pay well, and expect you to earn it. The safety and job culture are great and so is the possibility of career advancement.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Fly in/out
overall a good company to work for
Foreman, Edmonton Mod Yard, K+S Mine (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB / Regina, Sask4 January 2017
A typical day of work consists of a balance of production/safety/laughter
The management that I've met are professional & good at what they do
I've made lasting friendships with some of my co-workers which also made that the most enjoyable part of the job
good company
Structural Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2017
This is a company yhat has passion and dedication for the jobs they choose. They strive to be the best at what they do which will keep you improving your skills year after year.
Pros
Superintendent
Great company
SURVEYOR CALCULATOR/DRAFTER (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB14 January 2017
Despite its large size, Kiewit treats its employees as family, offering room for advancement and a 'safety first' oriented work place. Great company for a new grad to start a career.
a day at work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 October 2016
basically do our stretches, safety meeting in the morning and write our jha for the day then receive work from our foreman for the day then we would walk down the job and gather tools and information for the task then complete the task. we would record all material used for the day then give it to our foreman at the end of the day. sometimes i would learn stuff sometimes i would not. hardest part of my work days are probally working after breaks or when i got to walk around look for my foreman because im confused or dont know what to do.
Good company
Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
Kiewit is a good company, their EIT program is very good.

I have learned a lot from working with Kiewit, its a great place to work if you would like to gain experience in the construction industry.
Pros
RRSP Program
Cons
Salary
well maintained camp
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 January 2017
Kiewit was a great company to work with simply because upper management had a high degree of respect for the team under there command eg.(Time off when need,and open to suggestions )
Pros
GREAT WORKING ENVIROMENT
Cons
WOULD PREFER A 3WEEK ON 2 WEEK OFF ROTATION
Work here at your own risk
Engineering and Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
This company expects employees to drop your life with little to no notice to relocate or begin working at a work site. Senior employees are laid off to make way for numerous interns who have no work experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Zero job security, no work-life balance
awesome job environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB16 November 2016
friendly people safe working environment excellent team work
management is quick to act on problems when they arise. also
good transport to and from job site . . I really enjoyed meeting and working with the people I've met in this company...
Pros
Paid travel time, friendly and work safe environment
Cons
n/a