Kiewit Employee Reviews

keal lake project
Journeyman Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB21 March 2017
The typical day of work was fast passed challenging and very rewarding at the end of the day.You learned how work and communicate with your crew efficiently and productively to get the job done in the safest way possible.Management was very efficient with the day to day work planning making sure all schedules of the project were met and safety of all there employees.work culture was safety first no body gets hurt go home the same way you came.The hardest part of the job was long hours and being away from family.Most enjoyable part was seeing what was accomplished after all the hard work was completed by crew and staff.
Pros
all expenses paid
Cons
Leaving family
Was very difficult to move to a higher position
Piping Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Harbour, NL29 January 2017
Management positions were filled with relatively young people that did not leave much space for other people to move up. Stuck in a entry level position doing mindless tasks all day. Benefits were were good at first with rrsp but got reduced at the later part of the project. Raises we very little even with the best performing people. Company spends on district meetings and training rather than increasing their salaries.
Pros
Free Lunches
Good company, with good benefits
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 January 2017
Good company, always great people on the various jobs I've been a part of. Good wages and competitive benefits. Most recently worked at the k+s potash mine in Regina, SK. Had a great camp and the job was full of new challenges. Great experience.
Pros
Great people, good wages, oppurtunity for advancement.
Cons
Work away from home, long flights.
Good Camaraderie
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  BC13 March 2017
We have good relationship in the work place, the management make sure that we improve our skills by providing us more corporate trainings. Management extended their cares to our families too by giving us gifts like gift card on Christmas of Turkey vouchers on Thanksgiving day
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Productive with room for fast advancement
GENERAL SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Alberta8 December 2016
Over my years with Kiewit I have had the opportunity to work with some great people. I have learnt allot about the business and how to professionally conduct myself around the client and coworkers.
The Kiewit management group is constantly pushing you to strive to be the best at everything you do and hold you accountable. Some days you ask yourself WHY do I do this to myself and others you are loving it.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
can be over micromanaged
Good relationship building and strong project management office
Project SSHE Manager (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, Newfoundland27 September 2016
Commence with review of shift reports and then prepare for Production / Safety Management meeting. Provide direction and leadership to safety, health, environment, security and emergency response teams.
Conduct safety analysis and trending of incidents, coordinate HAZID and Risk Assessment for job activity, review project procedures ad management of change.
Meet with Level 1 managers and provide updates on safety to project director. Facilitate monthly client / contractor SSHE Steering Committee meetings and provide project updates and trending.
At beginning of project, Multi cultural workforce and management created a challenge in understanding work processes and personalities. Leadership forums helped the understanding completed a strong 'one team' approach. This at the beginning was difficult, however became the most enjoyable in learning about eacvh culture on the project.
Pros
Team Buildings. Being a component of a dynamic team
Cons
Fun and rewarding company to work for
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB29 January 2017
Treated their employers right and made you feel like part of a team. Very good employee benefits packing and being paid accordingly. Long hours but enough time to get the job done right with the right material.
Great employee owned and operated company
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB30 September 2016
My experience with management was exceptional. This company is full of talented hard working professionals. Expect long hours and many challenges as this company has no trouble giving opportunities to go-getters and can-do people.
Pros
Reward for hard work
Cons
Long hours not always for extra pay.
Pushes Hard, Compensates Well
Co-op Student - Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB17 September 2016
I worked with Kiewit for 8 months as a co-op student and it was great other than flying in and out. I loved the work and the location but it put strain on personal relationships. They pay well, and expect you to earn it. The safety and job culture are great and so is the possibility of career advancement.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Fly in/out
World class contractor
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL8 March 2017
Working with Kiewit gives you the opportunity to work on some very exciting and interesting projects. They challenge you to preform, but give you all the support and resources you need. Great place to work!
Pros
Professional growth
Cons
Work life Balance is a little more work than life
overall a good company to work for
Foreman, Edmonton Mod Yard, K+S Mine (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB / Regina, Sask4 January 2017
A typical day of work consists of a balance of production/safety/laughter
The management that I've met are professional & good at what they do
I've made lasting friendships with some of my co-workers which also made that the most enjoyable part of the job
great group to work with
Scaffolding Superintendent (Former Employee) –  kearl lake21 February 2017
In my five years with Kiewit over 3 projects i only have good things to say about this organization. If you want to move up in the company all you need to do is apply your self and work hard and you will get noticed.
Safety Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
Great place to work, fun, room to advance, people
Company, competitive wedges, great benefit package, great retirement package, good people, keeps you busy
Great company
SURVEYOR CALCULATOR/DRAFTER (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB14 January 2017
Despite its large size, Kiewit treats its employees as family, offering room for advancement and a 'safety first' oriented work place. Great company for a new grad to start a career.
productive
Indentured Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB, Regina, SK29 June 2016
a typical day at work consisted over general electrical duties followed after a morning PTI, i learned most of my experience in industrial electrical from the company. met some great upper management to look up to and learn from, worked with various people all over the world. the hardest part was communication the most enjoyable part was on spot problem solving
Pros
good benefits
Cons
working away in camp
good company
Structural Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2017
This is a company yhat has passion and dedication for the jobs they choose. They strive to be the best at what they do which will keep you improving your skills year after year.
Pros
Superintendent
Cons
Work was completed in a safe and timely manner
Industrial Insulator Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK22 February 2017
Everything was very well organized, including transportation and accommodation. The management was respectful, and they placed a strong emphasis on safety and responsibility.
well maintained camp
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta5 January 2017
Kiewit was a great company to work with simply because upper management had a high degree of respect for the team under there command eg.(Time off when need,and open to suggestions )
Pros
GREAT WORKING ENVIROMENT
Cons
WOULD PREFER A 3WEEK ON 2 WEEK OFF ROTATION
awesome job environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB16 November 2016
friendly people safe working environment excellent team work
management is quick to act on problems when they arise. also
good transport to and from job site . . I really enjoyed meeting and working with the people I've met in this company...
Pros
Paid travel time, friendly and work safe environment
Cons
n/a
Good company to work for
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB5 December 2016
good wages, on site training, safety culture is strong, one of the safest companies to work for, work site is really clean, lots of opportunity to move up in the company.
Pros
wages/flights
Cons
usually camp jobs away from home alot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.