Kiewit Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Place to work.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABAugust 22, 2016
Great place to work, above average pay, great camp to stay at while working, not a lot of job security. Friendly co-workers all worked well with each other.
Excellent craft and staff
Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 22, 2016
Excellent place to work and very safety driven , would love to see more projects from this company .
not a team company!!
rigger/labourer (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONJuly 11, 2016
very racist!!!,, take advantage of workers.. they do not like Indians,,, and or anyone whom is not French,,,or can speak French!!!!
Pros
job threats
Cons
you can be replaced, always threated
Safety Safety and more Safety
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABJuly 11, 2016
Keiwit doesn't care about how fast work gets completed as long as nobody gets hurt. they understand that scheduling allows for enough time to complete the job without the need for rushing
Pros
Adequate pay for equally challenging work, over time
Work here at your own risk
Engineering and Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
This company expects employees to drop your life with little to no notice to relocate or begin working at a work site. Senior employees are laid off to make way for numerous interns who have no work experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Zero job security, no work-life balance
Very good environment for learning, progressing and putting out the best work I possibly could
Land Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BCJuly 6, 2016
Working with Kiewit on the highway1/port mann bridge improvement project was great. I was hired right out of school and the training they provided me really helped me considering I did not have any really previous work experience as a Surveyor. I was on night shift for the majority of the project because the road work couldn't be done during the day. I was put in charge of the major road milling and paving projects using specialized survey techniques such as the first 3D milling machine using total stations and DTM files. On our off days we would do a lot of layout and monitoring. I also completed the majority of the projects lazer scanning of highway elevations and overpasses. The management was often very disorganized but it worked to my advantage because it forced me to make my own decisions and learn new things on my own. The hardest part of my job was the hours. I love night shift, that was not the problem. The problem was we were having to do 6 and 7 day weeks almost all the time, especially during the nicer months for weather for paving. But, it also was an advantage because of the hours we were able to bank. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was my first surveying job and once I broke through the learning curve it made work a lot more fun knowing exactly what I was doing. I felt accomplished.
Pros
lots of work, great training before being thrown into things, good support from management
Cons
Too much work at times, Rushing to get the job done by deadline forced us to work 24 days in a row at one point, But this only made me stronger and I can do extra days no problem now because I am used to it
Excellent company to work for
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 17, 2016
Plenty of hours, great guys to be around, great pay and excellent benefits

free lunches once a month and for holidays
very understanding of holiday time
Working at Kearl Lake is not that bad
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Bethune, SKJune 14, 2016
The only problem I didn't really like is the long one hour drive to work everyday back and forth to camp. It just seems very unnessacary.
great enviroment
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
safety is a number one concern, productivity and morale followed right behind! worked with a good group of guys who put in a solid effort daily.
saftyfirst
journeyman ironworker (Former Employee) –  CanadaMay 20, 2016
worked for Kiewit in the past and enjoyed learning new things about any trade hope to work for them in the future. co-workers were great to work with and I was taught new skills about the trade
my job as an operator
Zoom Boom Operator (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMay 11, 2016
i love to go to work as an operator and learned new things ,i can work unsupervised, i can get long with anyone i go to work each day to make a living and to give my employer a good days work i work hard and injoy what i do ,my last employer was very pleased with my work.
Pros
i get to get a days work
Cons
getting laid off
Bureaucratic and mis-managed
Ballast Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLMay 11, 2016
The Ballast team work 14 hour days and are situated 50m below sea level where we coordinate and control the stability of the 640,000 tonne floating structure. Frequently butting heads with construction teams where there are compromises to marine and structural integrity issues, a diplomatic and firm stance is required.
A substandard ballast system in use means we have to innovate frequently whilst holding back our frustration at the lack of progress to repair and replace items that are supplied by the vendors.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Fun environment but you work hard
FIELD ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABMay 9, 2016
Long days
structured company, almost always someone to report to and they have someone they report to etc.
Fun people to work with for the most part
good place to work
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  SaskatchewanMay 7, 2016
routine job that we do from A to Z , nice environment of work good team and co-worker, management very professional . enjoyable time was every week for meeting and discuss.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
good hours
good admospheric team and staff
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  SaskatchewanMay 7, 2016
Have good day noting to complain , nice team and co-worker. they give me chance to learn stuff that I never work on. Management young team but always there to discuss with us.
Pros
reward point
Cons
good shitf
Productive and safe workplace for construction
CAD Engineer/Field Engineer/Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
Safety management is best where I have ever known. Salary and benefits are very good and with good life balance. Quality control is so so.
Very Aggressive Company
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
Sometimes profits get in the way of safety but all in all a good company to work for. A majority of the time they promote the wrong people for the position and they end up paying for it in the end.
Challenging but rewarding environment
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Annapolis JunctionApril 21, 2016
I enjoyed the challenge that the construction industry brings and working together with my colleagues to complete the project successfuly and on time.
enjoyed my time their
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 18, 2016
Kiewit mod yard was a very rewarding job very high saftey standards and reliable planning and management i enjoyed my time working for them.
Good company to work for.
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  ManitobaApril 17, 2016
Professional company with good honest bosses, they ensure safety is a top priority, follow all protocols, acts, and comply to all laws and regulations.
Pros
Professional workers
Cons
Working schedule