Kiewit Employee Reviews in Canada

Not just a career but a lifestyle
scheduling (Current Employee) –  NLDecember 10, 2015
This company can be very demanding with the amount of travel, being away from home and the long hours that are expected. Majority of my co-workers throughout the 9 years I was with this company could not handle it and moved on to greener pastures. They weren't very good at managing their most important assets - people. A lot of decisions were last minute and they expected people to move at the drop of dime. They hire a lot of young people and exploit them making them work demanding positions with long hours and little compensation for the work involved. It tends to be a good way though for younger people to gain experience and Kiewit will usually allow younger people to work these demanding positions.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
Kiewit Lifestyle
Good company
Subcontract Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Kiewit is a good company, their EIT program is very good.

I have learned a lot from working with Kiewit, its a great place to work if you would like to gain experience in the construction industry.
Pros
RRSP Program
Cons
Salary
Awesome coworkers, learned a LOT
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day is busy, but you learn a lot. It was never-ending learning and change, but if you are the type of person who likes that, it was fun!
The friendly and amazing coworkers I was lucky enough to work with definitely kept me at Kiewit for 5 years.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
HR staff is not inviting/friendly
Working As pipe fitter
Journeyman Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta CanadaJanuary 1, 2016
Excellent company benefits, and very good rate. They give us allot of safety training and certifications, safety first culture. Superintendent give the opportunity to be pipe fitter foreman because my skills and hard work.
Pros
Very nice experience, and excellent company, they give us tools, food, travel.
Cons
Work in freeze wather, and close to gases on live plant.
Hard Working Environment, No Life-Work Balance
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 13, 2015
If you like to work and continue to work on your days off, this is your work place. You get to work on interesting projects and your given lots of responsibility. Unfortunately when you go home, work doesn't stay at your desk.

Every co-worker you work with are hard working, but I would work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but commonly worked up to 14-15 hours a day on a regular basis. Not great compensation for the higher work hours.
Pros
Participate in Great Construction Projects
Cons
No Work-Life Balance
Great company if you're willing to devote your life to work
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  A-25 highwayOctober 29, 2015
Overall, Kiewit is an excellent employer: the company is very organized, they continuously provide on-the-job training for new and seasoned employees, the salary is competitive, the benefits are great, and there is no limit to career advancement as long as you're willing to work long and hard.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
Lots of great people to work with
Canadian District Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2015
Safety culture was great. Any and all training was paid for and provided by the company. lots of job perks, like travel, lunches and staff functions
Pros
great salary
Cons
Long hours, no work lift balance
Terrible
Contract Management (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 19, 2015
Old Boys Club,

Might be OK once they all retire in a few years.
The company is desperately trying to re-brand itself to a more modern company that is tolerant and supportive of work life balance and functional families.

But until these old dogs are gone its just talk, they run the show and enforce 7-7 on a eight hour salary. Watch for bait and switch of false promises.
HD Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Squamish BC, Fort McMurray ABOctober 12, 2015
Perform job that was given to you in the morning. i did my apprenticeship here so i learned pretty much everything here. Its as good lots of people to help with daily tasks and you were given tasks to do on your own also which helped in learning. Management was good they treated their employees with respect and awarded then for jobs well done or for saving the company money.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Not sure where your next job would be
Productive, challenging work environment
Construction Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLMarch 21, 2016
The Bull Arm Hebron Project is the first of its kind in the world in that the scope of the 700 Slip Form was never attempted before. This presented numerous challenges from a planning, logistical and engineering point of view.

A typical work day began with a 6:30am meeting to plan work, a Stretch and Flex, and toolbox talk. Attendance would then be taken and the craft would begin the day at 7am.

As the Field Tech, it was my job to monitor attendance, source material, monitor production and track costs for the department when I was on shift. We rotated between day shift and night shift every two weeks.

A shift was always the same team members, from departmental staff to Exxon Mobil Management, which provided the opportunity to get to know the people you worked with on a personal as well as professional level.

I learned that it can be quite simple to plan a task on paper or in a board room, but the realtime execution of the task is where the unforeseen problems can arise. However, through proper planning and monitoring, any task can be broken down into a series of smaller tasks, making it that much more manageable.
Pros
Excellent work experience, relevant to what I want to do
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Great working conditions.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, OntarioApril 2, 2016
Kewit is the safety workplace who prides themselves doing the job safe .This company was the best I've ever had the chance to work for keep up the good work. Safety is top priority in this company it shows they care about you and your family more companies should take an example of this great company .
Pros
Long hours and can work 7 days plus
Cons
To many foremans on same job leads to confusion at times .
Good company to work for.
Full time Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MBNovember 21, 2015
Safety is foremost. They take pride in there safe work practices. Salary and benefits are also very good. Good company to work for.
Nice environment to work and employees are well compensated
Procurement Lead (Former Employee) –  VancouverSeptember 1, 2015
I like the attitude of the people and how management treat their employees fairly. The company are equipping employees in the right direction to improve the quality of their work, giving them trainings, seminars and taking special coarses. Overall its a fun workplace.
Pros
a lot of company benifits
Cons
Non
Bureaucratic and mis-managed
Ballast Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLMay 11, 2016
The Ballast team work 14 hour days and are situated 50m below sea level where we coordinate and control the stability of the 640,000 tonne floating structure. Frequently butting heads with construction teams where there are compromises to marine and structural integrity issues, a diplomatic and firm stance is required.
A substandard ballast system in use means we have to innovate frequently whilst holding back our frustration at the lack of progress to repair and replace items that are supplied by the vendors.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Energetic, dedicated to excellence, hardworking company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2015
If you work for Kiewit, you must be somewhat willing to sacrifice personal time as the hours can be quite long. This would be one of the hardest parts of the job. You will however, learn that hardwork, dedication and your skills will be tested and honed so that you can move forward with confidence. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some amazing people on projects. In my position, advancement was tough as it was kind of an old boys' club. Management and the corporate structure of the company changed quite a bit during this time with Kiewit and this proved to be difficult for the employees as each new arrival wanted information in a different format and therefore broke the cohesion and flow of departments and reduced communication sometimes to the detriment of a project. However I must point out that I had worked for Kiewit in the 90's for 5 years and the management was a pleasure to work for.
Pros
You will push yourself to new levels and learn tonsl
Cons
Forget personal relationships due to long hours and travel
great place to work with a lot of good skilled people
Warehouse Journey Person (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMarch 19, 2016
All in a days work start with the stretch and flex and morning meeting cause safty always comes first.Follow employees working and watching out for each other and working good together makes for a great day.
Pros
Meeting so many good people
Cons
Some people jealous cause you work hard for what you get.
Excellant company to work for.
Construction/ Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2016
Kiewit is a well oiled machine, the people are committed and the process and procedures are second to none.
They look after their key people and even when things are slow they look after you.
The training programs for staff is exceptional and the advancement opportunities are only restricted to your own desire to advance.
The only down side for me with Kiewit is you must be prepared to travel to projects just about anywhere. Some people really enjoy this but not in my forte.
Pros
Well oiled Machine
Cons
Travel
it was a Great company to work for until the jobs in BC dried out for the Company.
Key Foreman (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Working at Kiewit was a great learning experience. I enjoyed the variety of work on the Port Mann Bridge. I was part building the bridge, the demolition of the old bridge and the Marine work. I took care of the barges and worked with tug boat operations.
I learned to work with explosives, pile driving, iron working, welding, and all the Marine operations.
I got along with the Iron Workers and Tug Boat Operators.
Hardest part of the job was working at Camp when the Port Mann bridge was done because I had to be away from my family. But I enjoyed learning how to operate loaders. It was a great learning experience.
Pros
learning a variety of new aspects in construction
Cons
loss of job
wasnt a good company
skilled labouror (Former Employee) –  edmonton abNovember 12, 2015
Kiewit had a problem with playing the blame game. company could have had better management and could have used more zoom booms for the delivery of steel. pay was good but the mod yard was a mess and a lot of injury in a month. Kiewit didn't offer job stability as one minute they hire a bunch of people and in a week lay 15 others off. the co workers were good people and had no issues with any. just letting everyone know if you go to this company you make an error your terminated and come up with a bull excuses is to why your terminated
Pros
good pay
Cons
no job security and poor managment
Good for a while
Environmental Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2015
There are some definite perks to working here, including competitive compensation, annual pay increases and paid time off, but there is very poor work/life balance.