Kiewit Employee Reviews

Good relationship building and strong project management office
Project SSHE Manager (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, Newfoundland27 September 2016
Commence with review of shift reports and then prepare for Production / Safety Management meeting. Provide direction and leadership to safety, health, environment, security and emergency response teams.
Conduct safety analysis and trending of incidents, coordinate HAZID and Risk Assessment for job activity, review project procedures ad management of change.
Meet with Level 1 managers and provide updates on safety to project director. Facilitate monthly client / contractor SSHE Steering Committee meetings and provide project updates and trending.
At beginning of project, Multi cultural workforce and management created a challenge in understanding work processes and personalities. Leadership forums helped the understanding completed a strong 'one team' approach. This at the beginning was difficult, however became the most enjoyable in learning about eacvh culture on the project.
Pros
Team Buildings. Being a component of a dynamic team
Pushes Hard, Compensates Well
Co-op Student - Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB17 September 2016
I worked with Kiewit for 8 months as a co-op student and it was great other than flying in and out. I loved the work and the location but it put strain on personal relationships. They pay well, and expect you to earn it. The safety and job culture are great and so is the possibility of career advancement.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Fly in/out
Great employee owned and operated company
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB30 September 2016
My experience with management was exceptional. This company is full of talented hard working professionals. Expect long hours and many challenges as this company has no trouble giving opportunities to go-getters and can-do people.
Pros
Reward for hard work
Cons
Long hours not always for extra pay.
productive
Indentured Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB, Regina, SK29 June 2016
a typical day at work consisted over general electrical duties followed after a morning PTI, i learned most of my experience in industrial electrical from the company. met some great upper management to look up to and learn from, worked with various people all over the world. the hardest part was communication the most enjoyable part was on spot problem solving
Pros
good benefits
Cons
working away in camp
Work here at your own risk
Engineering and Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
This company expects employees to drop your life with little to no notice to relocate or begin working at a work site. Senior employees are laid off to make way for numerous interns who have no work experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Zero job security, no work-life balance
Amazing Satey Protocol
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB26 October 2016
One of the best Industrial Electrical Companies I have ever worked for! Great work atmosphere, great people to work with awesome guys. Great management and GF's to work for. Great safety protocol to ensure a safe work environment.
Pros
Free Chicken Lunches
Cons
10 h work days
awesome job environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Pointe Du Bois, MB16 November 2016
friendly people safe working environment excellent team work
management is quick to act on problems when they arise. also
good transport to and from job site . . I really enjoyed meeting and working with the people I've met in this company...
Pros
Paid travel time, friendly and work safe environment
Cons
n/a
Productive, challenging work environment
Construction Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL21 March 2016
The Bull Arm Hebron Project is the first of its kind in the world in that the scope of the 700 Slip Form was never attempted before. This presented numerous challenges from a planning, logistical and engineering point of view.

A typical work day began with a 6:30am meeting to plan work, a Stretch and Flex, and toolbox talk. Attendance would then be taken and the craft would begin the day at 7am.

As the Field Tech, it was my job to monitor attendance, source material, monitor production and track costs for the department when I was on shift. We rotated between day shift and night shift every two weeks.

A shift was always the same team members, from departmental staff to Exxon Mobil Management, which provided the opportunity to get to know the people you worked with on a personal as well as professional level.

I learned that it can be quite simple to plan a task on paper or in a board room, but the realtime execution of the task is where the unforeseen problems can arise. However, through proper planning and monitoring, any task can be broken down into a series of smaller tasks, making it that much more manageable.
Pros
Excellent work experience, relevant to what I want to do
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Productive and safe workplace for construction
CAD Engineer/Field Engineer/Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2016
Safety management is best where I have ever known. Salary and benefits are very good and with good life balance. Quality control is so so.
safe work environment
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta Kearl Lake1 November 2016
Very professional and safe environment great co- workers always looking out for one another. Have courses available for safety mentoring and many others to help with safety culture and to help with new employees
Pros
complimentary lunches for safety or goals
Good working team of players
Foreman/Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 October 2016
Work was merited with advancement in foreman position. Bonus features for advanced productivity. Good working functional machines. All in all , it was a good company to work for.
Safety oriented company
Welder/Fitter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB15 September 2016
I learned a lot about safety working for Kiewit. The hardest part of my job at first was getting used to the safety culture that Kiewit actually believes in and works by. I learned a great deal about how planning a job comes together and how to become a good leader.
Bureaucratic and mis-managed
Ballast Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL11 May 2016
The Ballast team work 14 hour days and are situated 50m below sea level where we coordinate and control the stability of the 640,000 tonne floating structure. Frequently butting heads with construction teams where there are compromises to marine and structural integrity issues, a diplomatic and firm stance is required.
A substandard ballast system in use means we have to innovate frequently whilst holding back our frustration at the lack of progress to repair and replace items that are supplied by the vendors.
Pros
good pay
Cons
I would definately go back
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2016
I was really impressed by the safety first attitude of the top management. it wasnt just lip service it was actively promoted and enforced from CEO to Laborer
Pros
great work atmosphere
a day at work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 October 2016
basically do our stretches, safety meeting in the morning and write our jha for the day then receive work from our foreman for the day then we would walk down the job and gather tools and information for the task then complete the task. we would record all material used for the day then give it to our foreman at the end of the day. sometimes i would learn stuff sometimes i would not. hardest part of my work days are probally working after breaks or when i got to walk around look for my foreman because im confused or dont know what to do.
Not just a career but a lifestyle
scheduling (Current Employee) –  NL10 December 2015
This company can be very demanding with the amount of travel, being away from home and the long hours that are expected. Majority of my co-workers throughout the 9 years I was with this company could not handle it and moved on to greener pastures. They weren't very good at managing their most important assets - people. A lot of decisions were last minute and they expected people to move at the drop of dime. They hire a lot of young people and exploit them making them work demanding positions with long hours and little compensation for the work involved. It tends to be a good way though for younger people to gain experience and Kiewit will usually allow younger people to work these demanding positions.
Pros
Good for experience
Cons
Kiewit Lifestyle
Excellant company to work for.
Construction/ Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2016
Kiewit is a well oiled machine, the people are committed and the process and procedures are second to none.
They look after their key people and even when things are slow they look after you.
The training programs for staff is exceptional and the advancement opportunities are only restricted to your own desire to advance.
The only down side for me with Kiewit is you must be prepared to travel to projects just about anywhere. Some people really enjoy this but not in my forte.
Pros
Well oiled Machine
Cons
Travel
professional company
Industrial Insulator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK4 September 2016
good management and mentor program. working conditions very good and the CVIS program between craftand management is a useful tool
Pros
good wages
Graet job
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2016
Awesome times working here. Top shelf employer with great pay and benefits. Treated workers with respect and always kept us busy.
Great Place to work.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB22 August 2016
Great place to work, above average pay, great camp to stay at while working, not a lot of job security. Friendly co-workers all worked well with each other.