Kiewit

Kiewit Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Don't bother if you're not from Newfoundland.
welder (Former Employee), marystown, nlDecember 18, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: everything else
Superintendants and chargehands are mostly apprentices who talked their way to the top.

Completely discriminated against by company and union if you're not from Marystown. Company and union break their own collective agreement as they'd like and see fit.

Constant drug and alcohol testing over the smallest safety infractions as little as stubbing your – more... toe or even after a disagreement with a management member.

The pace is beyond slow and if you're working harder than someone else your chargehand will take you off to ensure a Newfoundlander is doing the job instead.

Everyday during your tool box meeting is another scare tactic about how many people they've been writing up yet fail to communicate with the employees to find remedies for the issues they're writing people up over.

Safety is hit and miss and often won't leave their trailer to address concerns or issues.

This company is a complete disaster and the people running the place are a pathetic excuse for former tradesmen or management. I wouldn't hire them to flip burgers.

The only thing thats kept a lot of us here is the pay. – less
Good
Construction Safety Advisor/Coordinator (Former Employee), Bull ArmDecember 11, 2014
A good experince learned alot, Dealing with many different trades.
Was an okay place to work
Facility Safety Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 8, 2014
Liked working for Keiwit had personal differences once facility senior management changed. There were a great group of hard working individuals. The team of individuals I personally worked with were hard working, dedicated and conscientious.
no work life balance
Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee), KEARL Oil sandsNovember 28, 2014
Pros: camp and flights paid for
Cons: long hours
Long hours, long times away from home.
They let you go when they have no more work with no notice and dont give you the required statutory leaving pay.
Great company
Scaffolder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 21, 2014
Pros: good camp, paid flights
Cons: no job security
Typical day involved gathering material, building, and dismantling scaffolds. Learned how to build great scaffolds that were very stable and safe to work on. Hardest part was mobilizing material and lifting with gin wheel. Most enjoyable part was hearing other trades tell you they appreciated the great job we did erecting a safe scaffold that allowed – more... them to do their job well. – less
exelent people and camp
pipefitter (Former Employee), mod yard and kearl lakeOctober 25, 2014
Pros: food
typical day was challenging and fun.
lots about rigging and hydo testing .
hardest part of job was traveling .
most enjoyable was seeing your involvment in the building .
Great job
Electrician (Former Employee), Pinawa, MBOctober 16, 2014
Great crew beautiful area to work
great wages and a excellent companay
Set in the dark ages
Materials Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: 70 work for 40 hours pay, very unethical
They try to manage with an iron fist and promote people before they are close to being ready. They have a good game plan at the beginning of the job but everything soon falls apart and the blame game begins.
great workplace.
Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurreySeptember 30, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: camp was too big.
great place to work with good people. lots of remaining work.
When I needed them the most they were not there.
Ironworker/Welder (Former Employee), BCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: not many come to mind.
Cons: stabbed me in the back when i needed them.
Worked for them this year on a project in British Columbia, I got hurt on the job. Everything was fine, management acted like they were behind me until I filed for compensation through WCB, I later found out they disputed my injury. They went as far as contacting WCB to tell them that they believed I was hurt that morning and that I wasn't feeling well(which – more... was entirely made up)

Would NEVER work for Kiewitt or any CLAC affiliation ever again. – less
good pay but no safty concern and poor managment
Welder (Former Employee), Marystown,nlSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: everything
poor management and poor communication . if you are not local worker you will treated poorly. i worked there and got deduction for benefit on my paycheck and received nothing for it. union is a joke there if you are not from Newfoundland.
Kearl site was not Just a Job it was home for a year
Materials Control Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, AB/ kearl siteSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: felt like family
Cons: there was non
I loved working for Kiewit just the job was coming to an end.
We worked on a remote site so we were like family worked long days and stayed in camp. The crew was very fun and help full management was very understanding and helpful.
good place to learn
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 16, 2014
Kiewit was a great start to a career. i was with them for three years and learned alot and was indenchered in the a apprenticship with in one year
played games by putting a pie on faces
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2014
Twice a year we had a safety rodeo meeting which thought us about safety at work place and also played games like at the end and BBQ.
It was fun learned different things about hazards at work.
kiewit
Pipefitter (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABJuly 6, 2014
kiewit is a great company and strives to be a safety, great team of staff including supers foremans and trade workers.
Summary
Lead Millwright (Current Employee), British ColumbiaJuly 3, 2014
I enjoyed working for Kiewit at this project in British Columbia
close to home was a nice benefit, decent pay
Painter/Blaster (Former Employee), Marystown, NLJune 30, 2014
Pros: good schedule, decent pay, close to home
Cons: dirty work, safety issues were not dealt with promptly
good schedule, dirty work, decent pay, very diverse group of individuals
No loyalty to workers
Mechanic (Former Employee), Kearl lakeJune 22, 2014
Pros: free flights /camp
Cons: upper management
Had worked there since 2012 , I had opted out of going to apprenticeship training for fear of being laid off . After a discussion with the apprenticeship board I had agreed to do my training . Once I had flown back to work I showed up for an hour and was told I was not being hired back . They said there was a glitch in there system and sent me home – more... on a flight that day . Considering I'm a mechanic and have to supply my own tools you think if they had no intentions of bringing me back they would have sent my tools back with me . Overall anyone above your forman will treat as a number . I've never worked with a company what demands so much integrity from there workers but gives none in return . – less
Limited growth potential.
Piping (Former Employee), Kearl LakeJune 5, 2014
Long work days. Excellent people, in the field, to work with. I enjoyed the guys I directly work with.
got to see the world
Pile Driving Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 3, 2014
got to travel to Canada
was the first time out of the country
hardest part of job was getting adjusted to the weather

1 2 3 4 5

About Kiewit

Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth – Read more