Kiewit

Kiewit Employee Reviews

Inspections
Environmental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Smithville, ONFebruary 7, 2016
We have a very strategic inspection duties , Working here you learn allot about Team work and allot of challenges .

Alex
Great place to work.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
I Enjoyed driving truck, setting up work plants, and overall duties. I recieved experience driving trucks from U.S. and across Canada.
Awesome coworkers, learned a LOT
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day is busy, but you learn a lot. It was never-ending learning and change, but if you are the type of person who likes that, it was fun!
The friendly and amazing coworkers I was lucky enough to work with definitely kept me at Kiewit for 5 years.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
HR staff is not inviting/friendly
Productive and Fun place to work.
Journeyman Red Seal Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Fun workplace with good camp facilities. Been with the company from 2009 to 2015. Met lot of good people who I worked with. The fun part was when we used to watch movies is the lounge area. Had a lot of travelling to do every fortnight.

Used to get the job done and make sure the work place is safe at all times.
Everyday do an inspection of the Crane before going to the job site, and making notes as required on the site.
Pros
Good Camp Food
Cons
10 hours per day with some overtime
Best company I have ever worked for
Carpenter Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONJanuary 27, 2016
This company treated me great! It was the only time I have bounced out of bed everyday excited to go to work. They rewarded hard work and dedication, and had a great safety policy that helped the work crews rather than hindering them. I would work for this company anytime!
Pros
Great safety and work achievement awards
Great people and and great company
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 3, 2015
It was good while it lasted great people I learned a lot and will always take what I learn with me. Also the hours weren't bad I was happy with my hours
Pros
great people
Cons
needs improvements
Great Culture
Engineer-Estimator/ Discipline Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Boisbriand, QCNovember 6, 2015
Day of Work: In the field average 12 Hrs per day
At the office: 8 Hrs per day
Great Team to work with
Kiewit invest a lot in the skillls of his employee.
Terrible
Contract Management (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 19, 2015
Old Boys Club,

Might be OK once they all retire in a few years.
The company is desperately trying to re-brand itself to a more modern company that is tolerant and supportive of work life balance and functional families.

But until these old dogs are gone its just talk, they run the show and enforce 7-7 on a eight hour salary. Watch for bait and switch of false promises.
Work enviornment was always changing which helped to gain different skills at every site
Electrical Foreman (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NLOctober 16, 2015
Had a chance to help with the fabrication of the KFTT project at Kearl Lake and learned a lot of nessecary skills to help me in advancing in the electrical trade.
Hard Working Environment, No Life-Work Balance
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 13, 2015
If you like to work and continue to work on your days off, this is your work place. You get to work on interesting projects and your given lots of responsibility. Unfortunately when you go home, work doesn't stay at your desk.

Every co-worker you work with are hard working, but I would work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but commonly worked up to 14-15 hours a day on a regular basis. Not great compensation for the higher work hours.
Pros
Participate in Great Construction Projects
Cons
No Work-Life Balance
good safe educational place to work
Assistant welding superintendant (Current Employee) –  Marystown, NLSeptember 21, 2015
no job security as of contract work, otherwise very fun enjoyable place to work! most employees and office staff are friendly and helpful and as I was on a 14/7 rotation the transportation and accomadations were great!
Pros
awards for saftey, some lunches
Enjoyed working for kiewit
Insulator Apprentice (Former Employee) –  AlbertaSeptember 17, 2015
I worked as an insulator so I used various insulation to cover pipes. I also worked in the Lay down and prepared orders for the crew's and their safety culture is great.
Pros
great pay
Cons
cold winters
great company
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 20, 2015
This company was great. People were friendly and helpful and lot of advancement could be made with in the company. Since it is a construction company a lot of movement happens with people getting switch to different projects.
Good for a while
Environmental Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2015
There are some definite perks to working here, including competitive compensation, annual pay increases and paid time off, but there is very poor work/life balance.
Excellent Company
Estimating Engineer (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 4, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Has opportunity for growth. Compensation is average. Management listens to your requests.
Good Safety Environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kearl LakeJuly 14, 2015
Employee owned company based out of the USA with heavy American influence in all management decisions. A circle the wagon mentality and assess blame to workers and treats them as sacrificial goats to protect field management.

Management in the field does not know what each separate division is doing and work stacks up. If you do make a difference they get rid of you, they do not like people who think.

Leadership at the senior level and on the ground appear on the surface to care, but at the end of the day you are nothing to them but an avenue to achieve a goal. Promises are made but never followed through and once they have met their goal you are gone.

Over all if you are an hourly tradesman good place to work, entry level or middle management and not a stock owner, you are a virus and the politics are total nonsense.
Pros
Pay & Safety
Cons
good wages and rotation schedule
class 1 driver /equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 10, 2015
Very good place to work. I learned a lot working there. Good wages, good work rotation schedule. Good safety program.
I was on the project from start to finish, it was good to see the final product of all the hrs spent on site.
Good bunch of workers for the most part
CWB Welder (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLJune 30, 2015
Management is unorganized, left hand doesn`t know what the right hand is doing. If better organized and managed better would be the best place i have ever worked.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
14 days away from family
Poor Management
Payroll / Benefit Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 27, 2015
This company went from success to mess.The management was in constant change. The managers had no clue what they were doing.
Shared services was a disaster. No direction
Pros
Free Lunch
awesome safety culture
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Kearl LakeJune 25, 2015
never worked for a company this particular on safety and enforce it
great group of very knowledgeable people to work with and for
Pros
safety, drug and alcohol policy
Cons
at times a little too over board with safety