Kiewit

Kiewit Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
K2 Mining was the best company I have ever worked for.
Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 11, 2012
Pros: we were given all materials and shop equipment to perform every task safely and efficiently.
Cons: the work slowed down for my division, k2 mining.
Kiewit for me was a very good experience indeed. I was given the opportunity to work on some of the largest equipment with the best of mitigation tools, in an environment based on safety and doing the right thing at all times. I look forward to getting back with Kiewit once again. My division of Kiewit, K2 Mining, was a wonderful place to work, the shop is neat, we have every shop tool necessary to perform every task without cutting corners. The comradery amongst the men was very strong, letting you know you were part of a team. As for the hardest part of my job, I would have to say knowing when I should or should not step in to stop an unsafe act when I witnessed seasoned co-workers.doing things they shouldn't. This can always be viewed two different ways. Our motto was "never walk past an unsafe act" , however, the seasoned technician will be quick to tell you to mind your own business, or not to be a proverbial "rat". There is uncertainty in how this is viewed by your co-workers, even when diplomacy in your intervention is used to the utmost extent. However when I witness a green hat performing an unsafe act, there is no aprehension in my intervening at all, using diplomacy of course. I always appreciate any constructive criticism that comes my way, especially when I am new to a site and under new management.
The most enjoyable part of my job has always been working on the largest and best equipment, being allowed to repair equipment the right way the first time, with the proper parts, instead of patching the job here and there to save expenses, knowing that it is the wrong – more... decision, but it is what your employer tells you to do. I enjoy repairing my equipment the right way every time. And in time, this is where the real savings show themselves. A stitch in time saves nine, so to speak. Kiewit and I share these same beliefs and ethics, and this is why Kiewit is where I wish to work the rest of my years, no matter where the jobs may take me. – less
Don't bother if you're not from Newfoundland.
welder (Former Employee), marystown, nlDecember 18, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: everything else
Superintendants and chargehands are mostly apprentices who talked their way to the top.

Completely discriminated against by company and union if you're not from Marystown. Company and union break their own collective agreement as they'd like and see fit.

Constant drug and alcohol testing over the smallest safety infractions as little as stubbing your toe or even after a disagreement with a management member.

The pace is beyond slow and if you're working harder than someone else your chargehand will take you off to ensure a Newfoundlander is doing the job instead.

Everyday during your tool box meeting is another scare tactic about how many people they've been writing up yet fail to communicate with the employees to find remedies for the issues they're writing people up over.

Safety is hit and miss and often won't leave their trailer to address concerns or issues.

This company is a complete disaster and the people running the place are a pathetic excuse for former tradesmen or management. I wouldn't hire them to flip burgers.

The only thing thats kept a lot of us here is the pay.
Productive, fast paced and safe
Equipment Operator/Forman (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 18, 2013
Pros: safety orientated, organized
Cons: poor communication
Every morning the site services team assembled to discuss the work scope for the day followed by a team stretch and flex to avoid physical injury. Everyone would then write out a Job Hazard review for there specific tasks for the day. JHA's would then be signed off by the Forman or superintendent.
As the equipment operator/Truck driver for the site, I would do pre trip inspections on all my equipment i would be operating for the day. (zoom boom, skid steer and Tractor trailer)
I would go to various areas of the mod yard taking calls on the radio for lifting pipe spools, scaffold racks or anything that needed moving with the zoom boom or skid steer. I also was responsible for bringing trailers over from our Lay down yard with pipe spools and various materials for continuing on construction of the mods.
Working at Kiewit Mod yard was very fast paced and saftey orientated. I enjoyed the challenge of keeping up with the pace and doing it without incident.
55+ hour workweek for 40 hours salary
QC Tec (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCMay 20, 2013
Pros: get to build something
Cons: they own you, or at least they will pretend they do
If you are interested in joining a company where you will be working all the time and not being paid for it, then this is just the company for you. I was told I would be working a 40 hour work week. Upon joining I noticed everyone works 50 hours a week. Add to that unpaid overtime and a compliance policy that it soaked in fear that few people in supervisory positions adhere to and you will be looking for different work just after you start. The "Christian" "union" although it looks like it supports the workers, it actually works for Kiewit. They are the same entity and work together to protect themselves, not you. Add to that extra unpaid meetings in the morning in exchange for coffee and donuts. It is what it is. They get away with it because it's an American company operating in Canada. Their response to not paying overtime was to pay it, but reduce wages. Win/Win for them and the "union", not for you. Lots of promises, hardly ever keeping to them.
Worst company I have EVER worked for
Pressure welder (Former Employee), Fort MacJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: there are none
Cons: everything about this brutal company
Never ever ever EVER!!!! Work for this hack company. The so called "foreman" and "general foreman" were brutal!! I have more knowledge in my pinky finger then these clowns had. Poor management. Poor planners the WORST quality control personal I have ever encountered. There wasn't one good thing about the job I worked. I'll give you a good piece of advice. If you want to work with real professionals join a REAL union. NOT CLAC!! There a joke. I can't believe these donkeys get work? It's mind boggling. Like I said if you want to be treated with respect and work with the pros GO UNION!! And this so called "63 union". ITS NOT A FLIPPING UNION it's a highway!! They gave me a hoodie with there name splattered all over it. Needless to say it went directly into the garbage cause that's where it belonged. Would be embarrassed to walk around and admitting that I worked for them lol.
It was an adventure.
Concrete Pump Operator (Former Employee), LMRPJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: big money in camp jobs
Cons: the lack of true leadership sucks the life out if the men and therefore the moral is in the toilet.
I had the opportunity to work with some great guys at camp, and got paid large for it. But never in my life have I encountered a more two faced, inexperienced, and arrogant group of people as the staff from Quebec!! WOW!!
They talk about "Team work", "Safety", "The importance of family", and the best one of all "Communication"!!
IT'S ALL TALK! The superintendents are so worried about covering their back sides that they don't have the stones to do what's right for the men, and ultimately right for the company as a whole.
And I can't even imagine how much money the company loses because of the "battles" between the different departments! You would think they were competing companies-but they are just different Kiewit departments on the same job. It really boggles the mind!
But what do I know......?
They will drop you like a bad habit
Heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee), Kearl lakeJune 19, 2013
Pros: camp/flights - (if they don't cost to much for them)
Cons: over protective (full ppe while riding in pick ups), & no commitment to you
At Kiewit you work hard 14/7 shift 12 hour days (Paid for 11.5)
So in return they cut your days off short, don't get you're proper flights, forget to put you in camp & when you return from days off you get to camp around 4pm & start night shift the same day.
Terrible foremen, & project managers (on the maintenance side of things)
Then after all that you take a flight off to drive home so you can have a vehicle on your days off, the foremen prints you off directions on the quickest way to drive home, you spend 1000$ on gas & bills to get there, and then he calls you when your home & lays you off saying " you don't deserve a reason why".
That is Kiewit Kearl Lake maintenance division, I hope this steers a few future maintenance employees away & saves you some head aches.
Good Safety Environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Kearl LakeJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Pay & Safety
Cons: Management
Employee owned company based out of the USA with heavy American influence in all management decisions. A circle the wagon mentality and assess blame to workers and treats them as sacrificial goats to protect field management.

Management in the field does not know what each separate division is doing and work stacks up. If you do make a difference they get rid of you, they do not like people who think.

Leadership at the senior level and on the ground appear on the surface to care, but at the end of the day you are nothing to them but an avenue to achieve a goal. Promises are made but never followed through and once they have met their goal you are gone.

Over all if you are an hourly tradesman good place to work, entry level or middle management and not a stock owner, you are a virus and the politics are total nonsense.
review done
Superintendent (Former Employee), ONFebruary 13, 2014
Over all it was a great place to work Enjoyed working with my crew everybody had a great sense of humor Not much to do at camp but worked long hours watch tv play pool etc .We worked on emergency all the time if a door would break down you had to go now Everything was priority I learned alot from younger employees its amasing the skills you can find out there The hardest thing i found here was to try to please everybody Either the food was no good or temp to cold or to hot A bunch of men in a camp is somrthing like a day care center lol A good days work starts at 5:30 and done around seven at night But your on 24 hrs on callI enjoy working in camps you meet different people make new friends and make more money then city work
No loyalty to workers
Mechanic (Former Employee), Kearl lakeJune 22, 2014
Pros: free flights /camp
Cons: upper management
Had worked there since 2012 , I had opted out of going to apprenticeship training for fear of being laid off . After a discussion with the apprenticeship board I had agreed to do my training . Once I had flown back to work I showed up for an hour and was told I was not being hired back . They said there was a glitch in there system and sent me home on a flight that day . Considering I'm a mechanic and have to supply my own tools you think if they had no intentions of bringing me back they would have sent my tools back with me . Overall anyone above your forman will treat as a number . I've never worked with a company what demands so much integrity from there workers but gives none in return .
terrible moral
concrete finisher (Current Employee), mildred lk ab.April 24, 2014
Pros: decent pay, when they didnt mess it up
Cons: having to do things the hard way, not doing things the right way the first time. they like to play, games
We are treated like we're just a number. The management is the big problem with this place. Management has a hard time not letting the power they have go to thier heads. If youre hard up for a job than this is the place to go for a filler job. This place is no good for your mental health. Everything you ever learned any where else does not apply here. This is a good place to work if you know nothing about the industry and are just starting out in your career.
Good wage for home every night work
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 31, 2013
Pros: good wage, home every night
Cons: not following through with promises from management
I worked here for over a year, the upper management would preach down rules and promises that were never backed up. They had great intentions that would be out weighed by a schedule of pushing out mods quicker. Several employees were asked to join a "core group" by John Macpherson the manager, but this wasnt backed up and 90% of those asked to join were laid off with no transfers. Lots of talk of core values and what really matters but not a lot of action to back it up
Excellent company and staff,
40 Ton Rock Trucks, 980 loader, Excavator (Former Employee), Toba Inlet, British ColumbiaMay 2, 2012
Pros: excellent equipment workers staff and first nation
Cons: weather conditions, mountain slides, accidents
Worked with Kiewit on the most hardest project on the west coast of BC - Toba/ Montrose Hydro Electric Power Project. Very tuff area due to how remote, steep mountains and changing weather conditions. We had some very hard and sad days and lost some good co-workers and friends. The staff and management were excellent and treated me like family. The project was one I will never forget nor the people and friends I made on that project.
Excellent Safety Culture
Employee (Former Employee), Kearl LakeFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: compensation and benefits
Cons: micro managed, clueless cms
Good company overall, but some of the management team don't really have a clue. When a construction manager puts on a new hire (Green) hard hat, and partakes in spying on craft workers, you know the system is broken. One bad CM, don't mean there all bad. Just makes for an environment where the employees are afraid for there job. very much a micro managed company, but if you can get passed this fact. Then you will find crews are usually great, compensation and benefit package is very fair.
When I needed them the most they were not there.
Ironworker/Welder (Former Employee), BCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: not many come to mind.
Cons: stabbed me in the back when i needed them.
Worked for them this year on a project in British Columbia, I got hurt on the job. Everything was fine, management acted like they were behind me until I filed for compensation through WCB, I later found out they disputed my injury. They went as far as contacting WCB to tell them that they believed I was hurt that morning and that I wasn't feeling well(which was entirely made up)

Would NEVER work for Kiewitt or any CLAC affiliation ever again.
kiewit I must say is the best place that I have ever worked to date ,lots of help from upper management
kiewit foreman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2012
Every day started with a safety meeting and twice a month we had a safety review about the previous two weeks . And the mentoritng that went on was just great ,not only foreman down but also from above ,the whole crew was a well oiled machine which worked for the better of everyone it was great .Again the hardest part of the job was getting new people to buy into safety and the best was the friendship and the everyone watced out for everyone attitude
productive and fun place to work
Fabrication Lead Planner (Former Employee), EdmontonMay 14, 2012
Pros: comraderie, helping and leading one another
Cons: lack of communications from upper management
Very busy environment but fun at the same time.
Without team work success is slower.
Lack of communications with upper management
Co-workers are excellent! We work hard and still manage to de-stress ourselves.
Hardest part of the job is not being recognized for the hard work the team has put in. And only one person gets the credits.
Having a good team and seeing that we accomplish our targets is very rewarding.
Nice camp accomodation and good discipline on site and camp and the best was dry camp
Electrician journeyman (master) (Former Employee), Kearl Lake Project in Fort MckayFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: good discipline and high level safety, free accomodation
Cons: foreman to young, no body seem to know what it going on at the end of contract
Working day was ok I learn heat tracing comissionnig tha managment like forman a bit to young, good interaction between employee, the hardest part of the job listen to negative people and the most enjoyables was to learn, have all the tools to make the job done and the security sa we can go home in one piece.
Hard Working Environment, No Life-Work Balance
Field Engineer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 13, 2015
Pros: Participate in Great Construction Projects
Cons: No Work-Life Balance
If you like to work and continue to work on your days off, this is your work place. You get to work on interesting projects and your given lots of responsibility. Unfortunately when you go home, work doesn't stay at your desk.

Every co-worker you work with are hard working, but I would work a minimum of 12 hours a day, but commonly worked up to 14-15 hours a day on a regular basis. Not great compensation for the higher work hours.
Enjoyed working with the crew I worked with as they were safe and fun to be around
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Kearl lakeNovember 2, 2012
Pros: good camp
Cons: lack of experience in the supervision
Start with stretching before work, this was good and looked forward to it after a short while. Every company does somethings a litttle different, and I thought that the preparation was not as good as i could have been. The most difficult part of the job was some days not having work to do and having to find something to do to look busy. I always enjoy completing a job and it turning out really well.