Kiewit Employee Reviews

it was a good place to work i learned a lot of new techniques in how to install concrete.
concrete finisher / point and patch (Former Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONSeptember 22, 2016
my job was to pour and place concrete and to patch any deficiencies at the dam.
i learned what it takes to build a power dam.
the hardest part of my job was to be away from my family for 28 days at a time
there was a good core of guys to work with they where ready to help you when you needed it.
productive
Indentured Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB, Regina, SKJune 29, 2016
a typical day at work consisted over general electrical duties followed after a morning PTI, i learned most of my experience in industrial electrical from the company. met some great upper management to look up to and learn from, worked with various people all over the world. the hardest part was communication the most enjoyable part was on spot problem solving
Pros
good benefits
Cons
working away in camp
Pushes Hard, Compensates Well
Co-op Student - Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABSeptember 17, 2016
I worked with Kiewit for 8 months as a co-op student and it was great other than flying in and out. I loved the work and the location but it put strain on personal relationships. They pay well, and expect you to earn it. The safety and job culture are great and so is the possibility of career advancement.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Fly in/out
Bureaucratic and mis-managed
Ballast Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLMay 11, 2016
The Ballast team work 14 hour days and are situated 50m below sea level where we coordinate and control the stability of the 640,000 tonne floating structure. Frequently butting heads with construction teams where there are compromises to marine and structural integrity issues, a diplomatic and firm stance is required.
A substandard ballast system in use means we have to innovate frequently whilst holding back our frustration at the lack of progress to repair and replace items that are supplied by the vendors.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Work here at your own risk
Engineering and Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
This company expects employees to drop your life with little to no notice to relocate or begin working at a work site. Senior employees are laid off to make way for numerous interns who have no work experience.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Zero job security, no work-life balance
Very productive and organized place to work.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NLSeptember 1, 2016
I absolutely loved my time working with Kiewit. I learned a lot about who I am as a person and during my time there I met some of the best people from all over the world. Working with Kiewit was my first experience in the construction/oil & gas field
Safety oriented company
Welder/Fitter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABSeptember 15, 2016
I learned a lot about safety working for Kiewit. The hardest part of my job at first was getting used to the safety culture that Kiewit actually believes in and works by. I learned a great deal about how planning a job comes together and how to become a good leader.
Excellant company to work for.
Construction/ Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2016
Kiewit is a well oiled machine, the people are committed and the process and procedures are second to none.
They look after their key people and even when things are slow they look after you.
The training programs for staff is exceptional and the advancement opportunities are only restricted to your own desire to advance.
The only down side for me with Kiewit is you must be prepared to travel to projects just about anywhere. Some people really enjoy this but not in my forte.
Pros
Well oiled Machine
Cons
Travel
Safety Safety and more Safety
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABJuly 11, 2016
Keiwit doesn't care about how fast work gets completed as long as nobody gets hurt. they understand that scheduling allows for enough time to complete the job without the need for rushing
Pros
Adequate pay for equally challenging work, over time
Great working conditions.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, OntarioApril 2, 2016
Kewit is the safety workplace who prides themselves doing the job safe .This company was the best I've ever had the chance to work for keep up the good work. Safety is top priority in this company it shows they care about you and your family more companies should take an example of this great company .
Pros
Long hours and can work 7 days plus
Cons
To many foremans on same job leads to confusion at times .
Safest company in the construction industry
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
Working in the material distribution department, gave great exposure to materials used in piping, structural and electrical. Assisting the tool crib gave me greater knowledge in the equipment required for use in this industry.
Pros
Organized fast pace environment.
Cons
Position is reliant on future projects that may not be rewarded.
my job as an operator
Zoom Boom Operator (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMay 11, 2016
i love to go to work as an operator and learned new things ,i can work unsupervised, i can get long with anyone i go to work each day to make a living and to give my employer a good days work i work hard and injoy what i do ,my last employer was very pleased with my work.
Pros
i get to get a days work
Cons
getting laid off
Good relationship building and strong project management office
Project SSHE Manager (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NewfoundlandSeptember 27, 2016
Commence with review of shift reports and then prepare for Production / Safety Management meeting. Provide direction and leadership to safety, health, environment, security and emergency response teams.
Conduct safety analysis and trending of incidents, coordinate HAZID and Risk Assessment for job activity, review project procedures ad management of change.
Meet with Level 1 managers and provide updates on safety to project director. Facilitate monthly client / contractor SSHE Steering Committee meetings and provide project updates and trending.
At beginning of project, Multi cultural workforce and management created a challenge in understanding work processes and personalities. Leadership forums helped the understanding completed a strong 'one team' approach. This at the beginning was difficult, however became the most enjoyable in learning about eacvh culture on the project.
Pros
Team Buildings. Being a component of a dynamic team
Fun place to work
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Kiewit a very safety oriented company
awesome group of people to work with and for. Good experience and very knowledgeable group
Pros
Safety oriented Good Money
Cons
great place to work with a lot of good skilled people
Warehouse Journey Person (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NLMarch 19, 2016
All in a days work start with the stretch and flex and morning meeting cause safty always comes first.Follow employees working and watching out for each other and working good together makes for a great day.
Pros
Meeting so many good people
Cons
Some people jealous cause you work hard for what you get.
it was a Great company to work for until the jobs in BC dried out for the Company.
Key Foreman (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCFebruary 15, 2016
Working at Kiewit was a great learning experience. I enjoyed the variety of work on the Port Mann Bridge. I was part building the bridge, the demolition of the old bridge and the Marine work. I took care of the barges and worked with tug boat operations.
I learned to work with explosives, pile driving, iron working, welding, and all the Marine operations.
I got along with the Iron Workers and Tug Boat Operators.
Hardest part of the job was working at Camp when the Port Mann bridge was done because I had to be away from my family. But I enjoyed learning how to operate loaders. It was a great learning experience.
Pros
learning a variety of new aspects in construction
Cons
loss of job
professional company
Industrial Insulator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 4, 2016
good management and mentor program. working conditions very good and the CVIS program between craftand management is a useful tool
Pros
good wages
Great Company better crew
Leadhand/Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kearl LakeAugust 25, 2016
Had a great time, working nights on a cable crew. Job is to last about 5 months.

Crew was awesome, great bunch of guys, very safe environment
Productive and Fun place to work.
Journeyman Red Seal Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Fun workplace with good camp facilities. Been with the company from 2009 to 2015. Met lot of good people who I worked with. The fun part was when we used to watch movies is the lounge area. Had a lot of travelling to do every fortnight.

Used to get the job done and make sure the work place is safe at all times.
Everyday do an inspection of the Crane before going to the job site, and making notes as required on the site.
Pros
Good Camp Food
Cons
10 hours per day with some overtime
good admospheric team and staff
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  SaskatchewanMay 7, 2016
Have good day noting to complain , nice team and co-worker. they give me chance to learn stuff that I never work on. Management young team but always there to discuss with us.
Pros
reward point
Cons
good shitf