Since 1990, Keolis Canada has specialized in transporting the people of Canada. Whether interurban, airport, school or specialized, Keolis Canada is proud of the quality, safety and innovation of its services. Our passenger services are synonymous with excellence, and this excellence is reflected in our courier services as well. Leader in sustainable transport, our mission is to bring people together. We achieve this mission through our five corporate values: teamwork, respect, integrity, performance and professionalism.
Role: Reporting to the General Manager, this position supervises the health and safety function and staff in the Region of York. Establish and effectively manage an department structure, policies, programs, tools and provide best in class support that is aligned with business objectives and priorities.
This position is part of the management team for a new operation. Start date is anticipated to be September 2015.
- Manage new hire and veteran driver training programs to ensure that all drivers receive required initial, annual and on-going training
- Provide and/or manage classroom and behind the wheel instruction according to corporate and client specifications in all aspects of vehicle operation in the course of passenger transportation, including defensive driving, service area familiarization, passenger loading, unloading and securing, proper manifest documentation, use of on-board equipment, accident and emergency procedures, dispatch and radio communications, and passenger sensitivity.
- Provide and/or manage monthly or annual ongoing/refresher training in topics relevant to the service and service area and in a timely manner.
- Develop, deliver and monitor effectiveness of training curriculum
- Respond to and/or provide for trained staff response to operator accidents and incidents, ensuring appropriate collection of information, documentation of events, and reporting per company and client policy.
- Review all vehicular, passenger and employee accidents/incidents for determination of cause and preventability, identifying potential trends to be addressed in future training efforts as well as ensuring that retraining and safety points are assessed according to company policy.
- In conjunction with corporate staff, manage all aspects of the Drug and Alcohol Testing program including pre-employment, random and post-accident testing requirements. Conduct regular reviews of local testing facilities ensuring compliance with corporate and federal policy.
- Establish functional Joint Health and Safety Committee of drivers and management to review safety concerns and make recommendations to management for potential additional safety efforts.
- Assist operations and maintenance departments in identifying additional or refresher training needs based on current trends within the employee base.
- Ensure complete and accurate documentation of all training activities and accurate completion of all training related employee records.
- Establish relationships with key client agency personnel to identify additional training needs, resources and opportunities.
- Work with corporate claims staff to ensure that all liability and worker’s compensation claims are handled promptly and effectively to optimize financial impact
- Proactively manage all employee injury claims in an effort to minimize lost time and light duty claims. Work with local medical facilities to ensure that injured employees are placed on light duty as quickly as possible and are returned to full-duty status promptly
- Conduct regular audits of employee training files and vehicle maintenance files and conduct regular facility safety audits ensuring compliance with federal and provincial health and safety and environmental regulations and related corporate policies.
- Ensure that operator performance reviews, ride along, road checks and evaluations are conducted according to local and corporate policy and requirements. Provide feedback and follow up for operator performance reviews and identify individual training needs where necessary.
- Hire and manage all safety department employees including classroom and behind the wheel instructors, ensuring that all safety staff have all appropriate qualifications, certifications and training and that staff assignments are made in consideration of applicable budget line items.
- Ensure that all project training materials are up to date, that necessary supplies are available and that inventories are secured and kept up to date. Develop and use new advanced training techniques such as Podcasts, e-learning and videos.
- Provide regular reports to local and corporate management staff of safety department efforts, claims status, training efforts, accident history, worker’s compensation claims status, and other required information.
- Lead planning and response activities related to Safety and Security Plan, Emergency Preparedness Plan, Health Emergency Plan. Ensure compliance with these plans by all employees and subcontractors.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of three years or more of relevant, demonstrated experience
- Must have knowledge of federal and Ontario provincial regulations pertaining to licensing and operating bus and support vehicles
- Must be certified to as instructor and tester for all provincial required driver training courses
- Holder of Commercial Motor Vehicle Class B license, with Air Brake Endorsement
- Previous passenger transportation experience in municipal environment with strong safety and service record
- Familiarity with service area
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with all departments.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to delegate, provide appropriate supervision, and follow up
- Familiar with Windows-based computer systems and Microsoft Office
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and objectively
- French language skills a plus, but not required
Interested candidates should send their CV no later than September 18, 2013
Indeed - 14 months ago