Kent Building Supplies Employee Reviews

Great company with lots of room for advancement,enjoyed my time and grew a lot both personally and professionally during my time.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarenville, NLJuly 13, 2016
Great company, lots of opportunity for advancement. really enjoyed my time with this establishment.proud to be part of this organization for such a ,long time.
Great hours, terrible management
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMarch 20, 2016
The hours are great (especially if you're full-time, but you have to wait an entire year to get benefits. Also the management is terrible. You will try to follow the rules, the customer won't like that and will want to speak to a manager, the manager ALWAYS gives them what they want.... bottom line...don't follow the rules because the customer always gets what they want anyway.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
You have to wait a year to receive benefits
No opportunity for advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLAugust 31, 2016
Kent's high roller over of staff makes it hard on other employees as you take on double the work with no monetary compensation and often the schedule is left short handed which makes for a difficult day.
Fast Pace Work Environment
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 7, 2016
You'll work with great people. Pay isn't the highest in retail nor the lowest. Benefits are better then most retail places, discounts, healthcare and RRSP are worth while.
Pros
You'll learn something new each day.
Cons
Long Hours
Very fast paced job. Exciting atmostphere
Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLOctober 15, 2015
Putting away stock was a great job. I love seeing and doing new things and this was my favorite part of the job.

Management was very different however the way they ran things was their own way of doing things. I respected that.

Co-workers were great; made a lot of new friends and learned a lot about stuff I never knew about.

Great work experience.

Hardest part of the job was learning the different machinery.
Pros
Great hours, great co-workers and good location
Cons
Wage very low for work we were doing.
Excellent place to work
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBOctober 18, 2015
With increases inventory coming in monthly, this stressful job was made fun by the employees. Management was very open to any ideas or suggestions, and made you feel at ease.
I always considered this one of the best jobs I ever had. The people were great, and the company wonderful.
Pros
Excellent employees
Cons
Low salary for more work
Benefits and pay are the only good, still not worth it.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NSJuly 28, 2016
The company is garbage. From management constantly scrutinizing you, to Co workers who are blissfully ignorant and supported by management in that ignorance, it is not a good place to work. A typical day for me in my first year included driving the forklift around to move stock, putting stock on shelves in the store, and helping customers. After my first year, a typical day became management breathing down my neck for personal reasons, cutting my hours back because they didn't like one medical diagnosis, being denied a promotion I was more than qualified for and was also the only applicant for. In the end I had to go to HR about the harassment from management, and even that process was ridiculous as management attempted to prevent me from calling HR, telling me the issue was all in my head. Management also did nothing to help me when a former employee showed up and pulled a hunting knife on me, they were upset that I had called the police.

Management has a saying, 'don't make things complicated in my store' but it was clearly a one way street as they sought to make my life there very complicated.
Pros
Free lunches during meetings, benefits, driving forklift
Cons
Lack of respect and basic dignity by management, poor advancement opportunities for anyone who isn't a conservative Christian.
very satisfying
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSOctober 5, 2015
8 to 10 hour work day
customers are key to the success of any business
management helped me learn and gain knowledge
lot of turnover, lots of training of new staff
training new people constantly
seeing repeat customers keep coming back to our store shopping
Pros
family lifestyle
Cons
training new associates
Job security
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 12, 2015
a great place for job security, able to get tons of training and support which helps the employee reach their full potential while on the job.
has a great family feel while working, lots of support.
enjoyable place to work
Cashier/clerk. Front end trainer. Office work (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSAugust 27, 2015
a typical day was 7am 3:30 pm Head Cashier
my co-workers were very helpful when needed
hardest part of the job was when asked to cover a shift when the individual didnt show up
Pros
free lunches during meetings
Cons
long hours when asked to stay longer and cover a shift
Great place to work!
Cashier, Customer Service, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 7, 2015
Management team is fantastic! Really care about their employees and work as a team to bring the best possible customer service to the public. Very knowledgeable group of people!
Fun workplace with some minor issues to workout
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBJuly 16, 2015
Working for KBS was a great learning experience, and allowed me to learn more about myself. The job itself was fun, and working with contractors always made the day enjoyable. The turnover rate took some getting used to, as we were always having to learn who new people were.
Steady, fun, and safe work atmosphere
Hardware & Project Desk (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NBApril 27, 2015
I felt KBS did a very good job training me for particular jobs, although I did need to learn some on the go. Benefits were worth it as a career but not for short time employment.
Pros
promotions, discounts, and social
Cons
average to minimum wage pay
very productive
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NSJanuary 8, 2015
managed lumber and necessity's in the storage shed , learned how to communicate with people in a busy environment , co-workers were greatly nice and fun to work around, hardest part was driving the lift at the time , but managed after having practice, enjoyable part was communicating with others about the lumber
Pros
fresh air
Cons
slow delivery
Well organized and truly cares for wellbeing of employees
Picker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJanuary 6, 2014
The experience overall was a good one but only had a few weeks on the job as a job in my field of expertise came available. A very good system of checks and balances in place to look after the employees wellbeing.
Pros
employee discounts and clothing assistance as much as 85%
Cons
getting use to the 4:30 to 12:30 shift
THE PLACE ALWAYS FELT LIKE YOU WEREN,T GOODENOUGH.
Contractor Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  NEW MINAS N.S.August 21, 2012
THE CUSTOMERS MADE THE DAY. CO-WORKERS WOULD OFTEN WALK AWAY AND NOT HELP. MANAGEMENT WAS MORE CONCERED ABOUT THEIE REVIW.THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS BEING UNDER SCRUTINEY ALL THE TIME.
Pros
commission
Cons
always being scrutinized.
Customer service oriented and an enjoyable place to work
Customer Service/Cash Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBJuly 10, 2014
A typical day at work would involve processing purchases and refunds for customers. I also help with signage for the store and order supplies for the cashes and service desk.
terrible place to work poor management.
warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  new minasJuly 28, 2014
Not a very nice place to work management would look out for their own well being andforget about the other employees to much back stabbing .
Pros
good hours payed breaks
Cons
no consideration for amount of work done.
Enjoyable working place
Flooring/ Garden Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Montague, PENovember 21, 2013
Start the of each morning would restock the area that you are looking after. Helping customers at the project desk fill there orders. Also help customers find there products. Set up end caps. Put away product that comes in new. In the Garden Center time ( May-Aug) would set up for the day. Water plants and help customers find what would go good in sun or shade. Help them load there vehicles with soils.
I have gone on training for Flooring,Painting, and Garden Center, alos training on the Seven A's for how to help customers.
Since I have been there I enjoyed all the Managers and Asst. Managers. We had gone through a few for we are one of the smallest stores so we are kind of like a training store for them.
My co-workers where all awesome.
I was in flooring so the hardest would be when some one would come for a large amount of flooring and have to lift it all by myself.
My favorite part would be out in the Garden Center for it gave a bit of a change from being in doors all winter.
Pros
co-works i enjoyed working with.
Cons
pay was not really good
At Kent, I have a very diverse role. I have worked in every department throughout the store. I have gone from different departments to different store
Customer Service/Contractor Sales (Current Employee) –  dartmouth nova scotia.June 12, 2012
My overall review of Kent would be great. Management is great, very respectful place to work. A typical day for me at Kent would be going from many different departments such as paint, lumber, warehouse, contractor sales, project sales, cashier. My duties entail problem solving, working with home building plans, customer satisfaction, delivers. I have learned a lot within the store from building supplies to home interior also many different problem solving techniques within cash problems. My favorite part of my day is the interaction with co-workers and contractor customers. The most difficult part of my job is working very hard for little wage. I have also been to other provinces with the company participating in store renovations and new store openings working very long hours.
Pros
the co-workers and contractors and change throughout my day.
Cons
working hardley with dedication and receiving little wage.

2.6