Kent Building Supplies Employee Reviews

Productive and fun with great coworkers
Sales Associate - Service desk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 May 2017
Very productive work place that made it easily to complete job tasks. great co workers and wonderful manager who was always there to lend a hand. Loved working with customers.
Great Place to work
Lumber Yard worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL30 April 2017
Great Place to work. Worked well with team. Able to work more hours as needed and able to take time off as needed. Management was good to work with, fair and friendly. Physical labor but helped to keep me in shape.
Forklift Operator/Lumber Handler (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 April 2017
Was not the most professional work place, understaffed and workload made it stressful. Management team would tell you to follow policy and when times got hard, they would not follow policy.
management needs drastic improvement
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 April 2017
Kent has given me experience with customer service, however, this job is beneath my capabilities, and it will slowly break your spirit as management cares about one thing, making money
Great staff of all ages and various backgrounds - love the customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 March 2017
As the assistant manager I learned a great deal about the retail sector and sales and marketing.
There was opportunity to learn daily and room for growth and development which meant opportunity for other employment opportunities both locally and across Atlantic Canada.
A typical day included coaching and mentoring associates, ensuring that the shelves were stocked properly and that the customers were greeted and assisted as required. Displays were very important as they encouraged sales.
The difficult part would have to be walking continuously on the concrete surface however ample breaks and proper footwear would assist with any issues there.
Pros
Good benefits package
Cons
Lots of walking on hard surface
Excellent
Contractor Sales (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador28 February 2017
wonderful business to work for, always treated with respect and care. as well as flexible hours. never an issue as a student to get time off if needed for studies.
excellent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL7 February 2017
A great environment to learn more about the company
Management was an asset to learning and growing within the company
room to grow in this compant
It was a great job for a student
Forklift Operator, Yard Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS19 January 2017
I liked working there and it was a great student job, and I have made friends there that will last a long time. I was working there for 3 years and it didn't feel that long.
great work environment, slow at times
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Rothesay, NB17 January 2017
loved the contractors coming in everyday and making friends, management was very average, for the most part good co workers, there wasnt a very tough part of the job, most enjoyable was seeing my favorite contractors every day.
Informative and Comfortable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB30 December 2016
Had no prior experience with building supplies but, was taught on the job by caring and informative staff members. Very team oriented and well managed. Co-workers made me feel at home and very included. Business could be slow during winter months so the job became boring. With little room to grow there was not much to do. The hours were long and they were not able to take being a student into consideration. Relatively good benefits revived by employees after meeting their employment mark.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Not flexible and became boring
Decent job
Doorman, Security, Labouror. (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS16 December 2016
Kent is a good student job. If you are not good at serviceing customers, Kent is not a job you should apply for. also people can become very angry at the store's products and take it out on the sales person.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
people can be stupid
ok
Kent Building Supplies (Current Employee) –  Rothesay, NB30 October 2016
people you work with are good. new manager is great.benifits are good.schedule is rough. main complaint about site. lots of heavy lifting. gets you in shape. good place to learn about home stuff.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
hard to get ahead.
No opportunity for advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL31 August 2016
Kent's high roller over of staff makes it hard on other employees as you take on double the work with no monetary compensation and often the schedule is left short handed which makes for a difficult day.
Benefits and pay are the only good, still not worth it.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS28 July 2016
The company is garbage. From management constantly scrutinizing you, to Co workers who are blissfully ignorant and supported by management in that ignorance, it is not a good place to work. A typical day for me in my first year included driving the forklift around to move stock, putting stock on shelves in the store, and helping customers. After my first year, a typical day became management breathing down my neck for personal reasons, cutting my hours back because they didn't like one medical diagnosis, being denied a promotion I was more than qualified for and was also the only applicant for. In the end I had to go to HR about the harassment from management, and even that process was ridiculous as management attempted to prevent me from calling HR, telling me the issue was all in my head. Management also did nothing to help me when a former employee showed up and pulled a hunting knife on me, they were upset that I had called the police.

Management has a saying, 'don't make things complicated in my store' but it was clearly a one way street as they sought to make my life there very complicated.
Pros
Free lunches during meetings, benefits, driving forklift
Cons
Lack of respect and basic dignity by management, poor advancement opportunities for anyone who isn't a conservative Christian.
Great company with lots of room for advancement,enjoyed my time and grew a lot both personally and professionally during my time.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarenville, NL13 July 2016
Great company, lots of opportunity for advancement. really enjoyed my time with this establishment.proud to be part of this organization for such a ,long time.
Fast Pace Work Environment
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 May 2016
You'll work with great people. Pay isn't the highest in retail nor the lowest. Benefits are better then most retail places, discounts, healthcare and RRSP are worth while.
Pros
You'll learn something new each day.
Cons
Long Hours
Great hours, terrible management
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS20 March 2016
The hours are great (especially if you're full-time, but you have to wait an entire year to get benefits. Also the management is terrible. You will try to follow the rules, the customer won't like that and will want to speak to a manager, the manager ALWAYS gives them what they want.... bottom line...don't follow the rules because the customer always gets what they want anyway.
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
You have to wait a year to receive benefits
Job security
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB12 November 2015
a great place for job security, able to get tons of training and support which helps the employee reach their full potential while on the job.
has a great family feel while working, lots of support.
Excellent place to work
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB18 October 2015
With increases inventory coming in monthly, this stressful job was made fun by the employees. Management was very open to any ideas or suggestions, and made you feel at ease.
I always considered this one of the best jobs I ever had. The people were great, and the company wonderful.
Pros
Excellent employees
Cons
Low salary for more work
Very fast paced job. Exciting atmostphere
Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 October 2015
Putting away stock was a great job. I love seeing and doing new things and this was my favorite part of the job.

Management was very different however the way they ran things was their own way of doing things. I respected that.

Co-workers were great; made a lot of new friends and learned a lot about stuff I never knew about.

Great work experience.

Hardest part of the job was learning the different machinery.
Pros
Great hours, great co-workers and good location
Cons
Wage very low for work we were doing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kent Building Supplies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7