Kent Building Supplies Employee Reviews

Best for students and retirees.
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS21 September 2017
Kent is only for retired people or for people in school or for someone that just wants some extra money . If your trying to raise a family on Kent wages you will have an extremely hard time you will never own a ((nice)) car or a home unless you have a spouse you won't be able to afford much. The wages are really bad. Well kent does have a retirement plan its an rrsp and well thats better than nothing they could do much better for there employees..On the othere's hand most of the staff are friendly and are easy to get along with,the medical plan is good and not expensive,and the employee discount is fantastic.
Pros
Medical plan, employee discount, employees, rrsp
Cons
Low wages, dead end job, no pensions, they make you buy uniforms
Fast Paced
Forklift operator and order picker (Former Employee) –  harrisville blvd NB10 September 2017
I enjoyed working with the employees and in the fast paced environment. I feel as though there is no room to grow being part of their team and sometimes their employees are not respected fully
good people, money is good, plenty of work to do.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS28 July 2017
training is provided in all areas. people are patient and willing to help and assist you. the hours are plentiful to which I like and there's plenty of work to do for every employee. I don't like being idle so if things are slow I create work that benefits the company. the hardest part of the job is carrying drywall in winter conditions or rain, but if you're a soldier, you can deal with it.the most enjoyable part of the job to me is the delivery driving and unloading the products. The more work I do the happier I am. I hate being bored!
Pros
Travelling to all various parts of the region and delivering to beautiful places.
Cons
weather conditions and running out of time to complete late deliveries.
Kent was a very intersting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL14 July 2017
I learned a lot of new things at Kent. I met a lot of new people and got to help set up the store before it opened in Mt. Pearl I learned to merchandise and to keep things running smoothly. I worked at the Garden Centre there and it was a pleasure to be there. I particularly enjoyed when the head of the Kent organization would come in to the Garden Centre and say how peaceful it was there. The part I didn't like was trying to keep items that didn't belong there out of the Garden Centre.
Pros
Lots of training on equipment if I wanted to
Cons
Butting Heads with the Supervisor when he wanted to clutter the Garden Center
not great
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL20 June 2017
when I worked at kent the employees weren't nice at all, I never got the benefits I was suppose to get, and they don't treat you equal. it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Pros
gain life expereances
Cons
the employees, work enviorment
i was a yard superviser
Lumber Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  fredricton nb20 June 2017
well I was working for this company, I received the most up to date knowledge of all the products that where sold. if I wanted to learn more from a different department it was strongly recommended.
Great Employees, Great atmosphere
Drywall Labourer (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS13 June 2017
although i worked as a temp for this company, i enjoyed most of my days here. The people who work here are some of the best people i have worked with, and that is what really makes your job feel less like a job and more like fun. I was always treated with great respect by management and supervisors and miss my time spent there. Had to leave due to complications with being a hired temp and having to go through hoops to become a permanent employee.
Pros
Great enviroment, good management, treats employees fairly
Cons
random hours, hires temps
Fair
cashier and on switchboard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 May 2017
I enjoyed working with my employees they were all great people! Management was okay for the most part, I felt valued as an employee and my supervisors were very helpful.
Productive and fun with great coworkers
Sales Associate - Service desk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 May 2017
Very productive work place that made it easily to complete job tasks. great co workers and wonderful manager who was always there to lend a hand. Loved working with customers.
Great Place to work
Lumber Yard worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL30 April 2017
Great Place to work. Worked well with team. Able to work more hours as needed and able to take time off as needed. Management was good to work with, fair and friendly. Physical labor but helped to keep me in shape.
Forklift Operator/Lumber Handler (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 April 2017
Was not the most professional work place, understaffed and workload made it stressful. Management team would tell you to follow policy and when times got hard, they would not follow policy.
management needs drastic improvement
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 April 2017
Kent has given me experience with customer service, however, this job is beneath my capabilities, and it will slowly break your spirit as management cares about one thing, making money
Great staff of all ages and various backgrounds - love the customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 March 2017
As the assistant manager I learned a great deal about the retail sector and sales and marketing.
There was opportunity to learn daily and room for growth and development which meant opportunity for other employment opportunities both locally and across Atlantic Canada.
A typical day included coaching and mentoring associates, ensuring that the shelves were stocked properly and that the customers were greeted and assisted as required. Displays were very important as they encouraged sales.
The difficult part would have to be walking continuously on the concrete surface however ample breaks and proper footwear would assist with any issues there.
Pros
Good benefits package
Cons
Lots of walking on hard surface
Excellent
Contractor Sales (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador28 February 2017
wonderful business to work for, always treated with respect and care. as well as flexible hours. never an issue as a student to get time off if needed for studies.
excellent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL7 February 2017
A great environment to learn more about the company
Management was an asset to learning and growing within the company
room to grow in this compant
It was a great job for a student
Forklift Operator, Yard Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS19 January 2017
I liked working there and it was a great student job, and I have made friends there that will last a long time. I was working there for 3 years and it didn't feel that long.
great work environment, slow at times
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Rothesay, NB17 January 2017
loved the contractors coming in everyday and making friends, management was very average, for the most part good co workers, there wasnt a very tough part of the job, most enjoyable was seeing my favorite contractors every day.
Informative and Comfortable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB30 December 2016
Had no prior experience with building supplies but, was taught on the job by caring and informative staff members. Very team oriented and well managed. Co-workers made me feel at home and very included. Business could be slow during winter months so the job became boring. With little room to grow there was not much to do. The hours were long and they were not able to take being a student into consideration. Relatively good benefits revived by employees after meeting their employment mark.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Not flexible and became boring
Decent job
Doorman, Security, Labouror. (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS16 December 2016
Kent is a good student job. If you are not good at serviceing customers, Kent is not a job you should apply for. also people can become very angry at the store's products and take it out on the sales person.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
people can be stupid
ok
Kent Building Supplies (Current Employee) –  Rothesay, NB30 October 2016
people you work with are good. new manager is great.benifits are good.schedule is rough. main complaint about site. lots of heavy lifting. gets you in shape. good place to learn about home stuff.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
hard to get ahead.