Kelsey's Employee Reviews in Canada

Time well spent, fun, and productive work environment
Frontline cook (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 19, 2016
A typical shift at Kelsey's would be prepping all food that needs to be ready for the evening shift, as well as doing all the portioning that was written down on the board by our "head chef" or supervisor on line. It was also the cooks duty to keep all condiments, sauces, and topping stocked, and fresh. These duties would be done in between orders that were coming in. There was a lot to be learnt working in a culinary work environment including cleanliness, hygiene, health code requirements, presentation of food, proper food preparation, proper work wear i.e: non slip shoes, fire retardant pants, and shirt. And the most important thing learnt, and used on a day to day basis would be teamwork. Nothing would run smoothly in the kitchen if everyone wasn't working together as a part of a functional team. I had the privilege of working with a lot of great people during my time at Kelsey's, including the management team. The hardest part of the job for me was holding back the urge to eat all the great food we made in that kitchen! And the most rewarding part of the job for me was getting compliments to chef's from customers in the restaurant.
Pros
discounted prices on food
Cons
call in shifts
Fun Fast paced place to work!
Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 16, 2016
Woking at Kelsey's you always felt happy to come to work! With all the employees and management being so kind it felt like family!
Pros
Fun Environment
Cons
Split Shifts
Life At Kelsey's
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Fun , fast paced enjoyable job with great staff and management that makes you feel welcomed . I have learned many great lessons from my day to day shifts that it can be swamped yet there can be ways to keep up and everyone works hard making it a great day .
Pros
Fun, Amazing work place
Cons
Shifts not Guaranteed .
Best workplace amazing sense of community
Hostess/Expeiditor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Kelsey's was not even a job to me, but more of a home. I arrived checked in and began work, learning new social skills daily. Management was excellent, as were the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was ensuring the food was perfect. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with various types of people every shift.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Late hours
Kaitlin's Review
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 15, 2016
-Busy but learned a lot
- How to use point of sales
- great management
- co workers were great to work with and taught well
- having to balance side duties and customers
- my co workers and the things i learned
Never again
Host/Hostess (Former Employee) –  TillsonburgOctober 4, 2015
Was told I was doing an "awesome" job only to have them hire someone else and all of my hours given to them (without even firing me). I quit four weeks after they hired the one who took all my hours.
Management seemed as though they didn't care. They were not overly concerned as to how the employees felt at work. The atmosphere was constantly tense, as I would get yelled at for small things (Managers would pick favourites).
As for colleagues, I enjoyed working with the other servers and hosts. They are all fun loving, down to earth people. I've developed great relationships with them through my short time at Kelsey's.
Pros
20% off meals, 50% off during or after your shift.
Cons
Management, Unpredictable hours
Line cook
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Cooking different variety of foods while maintaining a time that the orders have to be done at. it was a part time job while i was in school to get some money to afford school.
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Fun work enviroment and fasted passed
Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 21, 2015
Kelsey's is a great restaurant to work for! The people who work here are amazing they are intelligent, motivated, very helpful and lots of fun to work with. I have learned to have fun and really connect with your guests which is a plus, because they will always come back! The management team pushes there staff to the best they can be and really encourages them to do there best. Feedback is one way the management team really hears about the staff and its a great way to encourage them to do so. The management team puts together a little game to see who gets as many feedback's as possible and will get free dinner for yourself and a kitchen partner you are paired with. Additionally, Kelsey's invests a lot in training there staff, which helps with personal and professional growth not only individually but as a team as well. It is very exciting to be part of such an amazing warm welcoming team!
Pros
Free Coffee! Fun workplace
Cons
Not a residental area for housing and families
everyone is friendly.
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJuly 13, 2016
everyone was friendly and helped you out if you needed it. also everyone was really understanding with disabilities and heath issues.
Pros
free drinks.
Cons
.....
Server (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 31, 2016
I really like working here, and I don't like that Indeed has a minimum word count for this kind of thing. Blah, blah blah blah blah
Very efficient and satisfying work environment
Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 28, 2015
I would start off usually on Saturdays and Sundays opening the bar, preparing my station and setting and take down of the bar tables. I would also do my own roll ups and cut the required amount of garnishes for the day. I learned restaurant bar experience from Kelsey and alot of time management. The staff and management are great at this location. They were very flexible with my schedule. The hardest part of my job was learning to open the restaurant by myself and also became my favourite part of it.
not run good
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 12, 2015
i never get hours just not organized and always get put down mangers are very mean hardest part of the job is cleaning all the tables and getting told your doing nothing
fun and creative workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 6, 2015
working at kelseys was one of the best jobs i have ever had. i loved it. the only downside was the management, and the ability to advance. it was always a laugh at work and there was always something fun going on behind the scenes
Fun ppl to work with.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Sudbury,ONApril 29, 2015
I personally did not enjoy my time there as the training was a joke and the possibility of more hours and advancement opportunities did not exist.
Productive, fun work environment
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJuly 19, 2015
Fun place to work, great staff and managers. Great customers, enjoy interacting with them. Enjoy the atmosphere the restaurant has every time I work. I like to work with different challenges everyday.
Good environment
CHEF/COOK (Current Employee) –  Maple ONJune 10, 2012
A typical day at work would be hard to explain really because were talking about a resturant.

I learned many things at the resturant because I started off as a dishwasher and now i work on line as a cook.

management is great they are very freindly.

co-workers are also the same freindly and kind treat you as they wanted to be treated themselves.

the hardest part of the job would be working with a crowded line where as there is absoultely no space to move around.

the most enjoyable part of the job would be working with co-operative people who are willing to listen and learn.
Pros
free lunches, freindly co-workers, fast paced environment
Cons
short hours and a very low pay
Kelsey's
Hostess/Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJune 18, 2013
I would come in in the mornings and help the opening server get the dining room ready for the day. Help stock up the side stands, roll cutlery and any other task that wasn't finished the night before. Once open, I greeted guests, provided menus and escorted them to their seats. I doubled as a busser during the day clearing and resetting tables on top of my hostess duties. I looked after the main lobby, front doors, hostess stand and the public washrooms. Before my shift was over, I needed to make sure everything was clean and restocked for the next person to come in/for the morning.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
i'd compare the former management to helicopter moms
Productive and efficient workplace
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 3, 2013
A typical day at work includes doing morning administrative tasks such as counting, receiving and ordering inventory, reconciling any inventory variances, counting cash, checking for reservations and much more. After the daily tasks are completed, I move on to do any bookkeeping required such as posting invoices, entering daily sales, reconciling bank statements, preparing cheques etc.

The position has provided experience with Simply Accounting software, which is very valuable for my career. I have been finally able to apply my knowledge in accounting.
overall experience
Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONFebruary 11, 2013
When working at kelseys i learned how to prep food, how to keep a clean area. and what customers expected with their food

working at kelseys was always fun but also a work enviorment.
we worked just as hard as we played

the management was great aswell.

the hardest part of working there, would have to be working wing nights. it was always very stressful and crazy busy. but at the end of the day, everyone still could have a joke or two.
Pros
one free meal a shift
Cons
training new people, when it was busy
Good atmosphere, great people
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 13, 2012
A typical day at work generally starts with a produce order for the day (we always do same day orders to guarantee freshness). After that I would proceed to cook off certain items for the day (soups, potatos, ribs ect) and make sure the line is set up for when the cooks come. Now I would count and weigh the streaks in the building to ensure left is not an option. Opening the line gives me the chance to look over the cleanliness of the kitchen and make sure everything is getting done properly. Now it would be time for my larger order, basically everything other then produce, which gets done 3 times a week. This usually takes an hour to and hour and a half. Now I would receive the items we received today into the computer, manage the invoices and make sure the amount due is correct. Now it's around 1 - 2 pm, this is where I do any random things which need to be done daily or weekly (temperature logs, continuous prep, scheduling, cleaning schedule etc). Some days I work over the dinner rush until 7-8 o'clock, when my skilled cooks works or sales are low I leave at 4-5. I complete full inventory of all stock every sunday.
Pros
great group of people and atmosphere
Cons
restaurant business just not for me, the stresses and responsibility isn't worth the low wages and long hours