Kelsey's

Kelsey's Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
kelseys review
Line Cook (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 9, 2014
my experience at kelsey's was ok. i liked my job, but management was lazy.it was unfortunate because it was a fun place to work, and most co workers truly cared about their job.
Great development opportunities
General Manager (Former Employee), OttawaFebruary 17, 2014
Various shifts must be available for all of them, not allowed to have an availability. 50 hour work week required no overtime. A great team lots of relationships made.
Exciting
Line Cook (Former Employee), ottawa ontarioFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: distance from home
Working at Kelsey's was an eye opener. It gave me a better look at a fast paced kitchen and then eventually led to me becoming one of the heads of the kitchen. Perhaps different management or location could have resulted in it not closing.
Productive and efficient workplace
Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 3, 2013
A typical day at work includes doing morning administrative tasks such as counting, receiving and ordering inventory, reconciling any inventory variances, counting cash, checking for reservations and much more. After the daily tasks are completed, I move on to do any bookkeeping required such as posting invoices, entering daily sales, reconciling bank – more... statements, preparing cheques etc.

The position has provided experience with Simply Accounting software, which is very valuable for my career. I have been finally able to apply my knowledge in accounting. – less
good work/life balance for students
Line Cook (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 4, 2013
Pros: good hours
Cons: no free food
great place to work for students as schedules are balanced. learn alot of basic skills for cooking. along with cooking styles
Kelsey's
Hostess/Expeditor (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJune 18, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: i'd compare the former management to helicopter moms
I would come in in the mornings and help the opening server get the dining room ready for the day. Help stock up the side stands, roll cutlery and any other task that wasn't finished the night before. Once open, I greeted guests, provided menus and escorted them to their seats. I doubled as a busser during the day clearing and resetting tables on top – more... of my hostess duties. I looked after the main lobby, front doors, hostess stand and the public washrooms. Before my shift was over, I needed to make sure everything was clean and restocked for the next person to come in/for the morning. – less
worked people to the bones
Cook (Former Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 7, 2013
Great people to work there, was understaffed I ended up working 23 days in a row from being called in, I didn't mind because of the money I got but still was pretty bad.
fun, and a good healthy worplace
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: free pop
Cons: unorganized sometimes
I learned how to clean dishes and felt good of how nice my coworkers were.
overall experience
Cook/Food Prep (Former Employee), Lindsay, ONFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: one free meal a shift
Cons: training new people, when it was busy
When working at kelseys i learned how to prep food, how to keep a clean area. and what customers expected with their food

working at kelseys was always fun but also a work enviorment.
we worked just as hard as we played

the management was great aswell.

the hardest part of working there, would have to be working wing nights. it was always very stressful – more... and crazy busy. but at the end of the day, everyone still could have a joke or two. – less
Co-op student
Kitchen Assistant/Line Cook (Former Employee), Tillsonburg, ONJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
I worked here as a coop student
This is a great place to learn the food industry as it is very fast paced and busy.
fun place to work
dish washer and prep food (Former Employee), Huntsville, ONNovember 3, 2012
i liked it learned a lot about the food business i didn't mind working there because co workers were fun to be around
Fun place to work!
Server (Former Employee), Georgetown, ONNovember 3, 2012
Pros: making good money
Cons: sometimes long hours
Loved the day shifts, getting the restaurant ready to open. Love working with the public. I'm a friendly easy going person!
A fun filled and fast paced environment.
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee), Petawawa, ONOctober 3, 2012
Love my time at Kelsey's Petawawa. The staff became like family. The hardest part of any day would be not becoming overwhelmed by the amount of people waiting for tables. I would go back to work there in a heartbeat!!!!
Fun and efficient workplace.
Line Cook & Server (Former Employee), Hamilton, OntarioSeptember 24, 2012
A typical day at Kelsey's is about working hard to get everything done while having a laugh with enjoyable coworkers. I was trained across the line at Kelsey's, from every part of the kitchen to front of house where I hosted and served guests.

The hardest part of the job involved trying to juggle too many tasks at once. Some days I took on more work – more... than I should have. The most enjoyable part was the plethora of personalities that made such a great team to work with. – less
wasnt that great
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONAugust 25, 2012
worked there and they wouldnt change my hours so that way i could get a bus home to residence, i ended up taxiing and if i had no money i walked 2.5 hours home.
Good atmosphere, great people
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONJune 13, 2012
Pros: great group of people and atmosphere
Cons: restaurant business just not for me, the stresses and responsibility isn't worth the low wages and long hours
A typical day at work generally starts with a produce order for the day (we always do same day orders to guarantee freshness). After that I would proceed to cook off certain items for the day (soups, potatos, ribs ect) and make sure the line is set up for when the cooks come. Now I would count and weigh the streaks in the building to ensure left is – more... not an option. Opening the line gives me the chance to look over the cleanliness of the kitchen and make sure everything is getting done properly. Now it would be time for my larger order, basically everything other then produce, which gets done 3 times a week. This usually takes an hour to and hour and a half. Now I would receive the items we received today into the computer, manage the invoices and make sure the amount due is correct. Now it's around 1 - 2 pm, this is where I do any random things which need to be done daily or weekly (temperature logs, continuous prep, scheduling, cleaning schedule etc). Some days I work over the dinner rush until 7-8 o'clock, when my skilled cooks works or sales are low I leave at 4-5. I complete full inventory of all stock every sunday. – less
Good environment
CHEF/COOK (Current Employee), Maple ONJune 10, 2012
Pros: free lunches, freindly co-workers, fast paced environment
Cons: short hours and a very low pay
A typical day at work would be hard to explain really because were talking about a resturant.

I learned many things at the resturant because I started off as a dishwasher and now i work on line as a cook.

management is great they are very freindly.

co-workers are also the same freindly and kind treat you as they wanted to be treated themselves.

the – more... hardest part of the job would be working with a crowded line where as there is absoultely no space to move around.

the most enjoyable part of the job would be working with co-operative people who are willing to listen and learn. – less
Atypical Restaurant
General Manager (Current Employee), Cocoa, FLApril 30, 2013
Pros: fast paced, energetic
Cons: typical restaraunt stuff
Fast Paced, Energetic, Demanding, Every day is busy, there is always something to do or that needs to be done, Hardest part of the job is the communication between staff and ownership, best part is the sense of accomplishment after each shift
Not enough hours
Dishwasher / Prep Cook (Former Employee), St. Catharines,ON CanadaMarch 5, 2012
Was told four shifts per week

Was told to go home early after 2 hours because business was slow

john58 – July 22, 2012

they have to pay you 3 hrs by law. no respect for the washer, at least where i work.

Mar7 – January 15, 2013

I can relate to that with the restaurant business Or I have been told to come in and wait until it picks up and then not get paid for waiting around I find in the restaurant business they like to make up their own rules as they go.We need a union for all restaurant servers across the board.