Kelowna General Hospital Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great people and long job length
Apprentice Plumber | Lockerbie & Hole Contracting (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 June 2017
I would start at 7 in the morning Monday to Friday and occasionally weekends or graveyard shifts. The job was physical but incorporated steady problem solving which was very enjoyable and kept the job interesting.
productive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 June 2017
I don't get salary to volunteer but skills to build and a way to thank my community for whatever it has given me in my life and in future. It is always a new experience every day and every shift.
Loved it there
X-ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 May 2017
Great place to work. The lifestyle is over the top. So much to do and see outside of work. Work is fast paced, and busy. I learned a lot from working here.
OR Nurse
LPN (Former Employee) –  Operating room14 November 2016
There is always room for improvement at any place of employment.One must learn to be part of the team and work together for better working conditions I was very efficient at my job and gave good patient care
Enjoyable place to be with amazing staff.
Job Shadow (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 August 2016
A typical day at Kelowna General Hospital is walking into a comfortable environment with lot's of smiling faces. I learned that it really is hard work to finish certain jobs within a hospital but it was really worth learning because I got to be a part of an amazing group of nurses and doctors who taught me things i had never known.
Good place to work, I like my hours
Porter/Laundry worker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 January 2016
A typical day at work is very busy and physical. I learn to work hard but remember to pace myself so I don't get hurt . Listen to managements requests. Listen and understand co-workers. The hardest part of my job is stopping to take my breaks cause I am on a good roll but, our breaks are there for a reason. The most enjoyable part of my job is the time goes by fast and I get a good work out.
Pros
listen to music while working
Cons
none really
Large employer with lots of different jobs
Therapist Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 November 2015
This is a great place to work compared to long-term care placements, in my opinion. I get to meet lots of new people and build relationships with co-workers.

The most satisfying part of the job is seeing a patient make it back home and the gratitude some patients express.

Typically I sign into work, grab a pager and head to my area of work. I then go over my patient list for the day and prioritize which patients to see. I also assist my overseeing therapist with any patients that may be difficult for just one person. I document who i have seen and what they did as i go along and report anything of note to the therapist.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Unsatisfying, no room to grow, commuting, little recognition
Mdr
Medical Device Reprocessor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 February 2015
Busy work place. Always things to learn. Teamwork. Time goes by fast. Always work to do. Friendly atmosphere. Repetitive work. Critical thinking. Multitasking.
Ok but alot of politics
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 January 2015
decent pay management is not very good. Your just a number to management.
Pros
pay
Cons
lack of consistency for work
One of the best places to work for.
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 November 2014
KGH is a modern laboratory with great techs. The management and co-workers are the best health care professionals who are dedicated, hardworking, and caring health care providers.
Warm environment with great support systems
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 January 2014
Whether it be a crazily busy shift, there are always good mornings and goodnights. There is an essence of coworkers supporting coworkers which makes the tough shifts go by a little smoother and easier. Having the opportunity to make a difference in patient's (and their family's) lives is a tremendously wonderful feeling. Even when the situtaion is sad or unfortunate, just being able to do what I can is in itself evidently rewarding when my patient asks if it is ok to hug me.
Fast paced
Access/Switchboard Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2014
Fast paced, multi-tasking position. Offers a variety of tasks and situations.
A great & productive workplace with hardworking healthcare team
LPN student (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC26 April 2012
A typical day at work would be attaining my goals for the day, good time management, and organization. I learned how to work faster in a fast paced environment. My co-workers were great! We worked as a team & shared the workload. The hardest part of the job was when there were a lot of things going on with a couple of patients and they happened all at the same time. There was one instance where a patient just had a blood transfusion & the other one just came from peritoneal dialysis & his blood sugar was @ 2.8. I spent most of my time doing vital signs for both every 15 minutes for the first hour and doing accu-chek to the other patient. I gave him some apple juice & glucose tabs at that moment & checked his blood sugar every 10 minutes until it went up to 4 while checkin on the other patient for any signs of allergic reaction to the transfusion. In between those times, I still had to check my other patients. It was a busy day but I managed. The most enjoyable part of the job was giving the best possible patient care using the best of my knowledge & abilities.
Pros
coffee breaks