Kativik School Board Employee Reviews

Double Edge Sword. Lame à deux tranchants
Spécialiste, langue seconde (Former Employee) –  Ivujivik, QC2 June 2017
Points positifs
Ouverture sur le monde. Le Québec et l'Ungava sont surréels. Chasse, pêche ou randonnée pour les amateurs. Programme des Rangers. Lieu de culte. Clientèle élève fascinante et méritoire de notre temps et de nos efforts. Culture riche et exotique. Manuel de survie en temps réel.

Points négatifs
Les "Blancs" -
L'administration de l'école peut devenir inefficace. Il y a trop de roulement de personnel pour assurer une bonne transmission des programmes. Et dans un tel contexte, les petits "boss", qui ont plus d'ancienneté, se donnent une autorité qui ne leur revient pas, comme si la place leur appartenait. Le système avantage les jeunes couples (surtout avec enfant), car ils coûtent moins cher en résidence et maintiennent ce leurre qu'ils s'établiront à long terme. Le choc des générations est un problème réel chez les "sudistes" et l'administration se rangera avec la majorité, même si on assiste à du "mobbing" et non avec l'expérience et la séniorité de l'enseignant..

Les Inuits -
Ils sont fort attachants, mais parmi eux se trouvent des locaux qui méprisent les blancs et se servent de leur enfant pour faire de faux allégués envers le prof. J'ai vu trois cas de profs faussement accusés, le même jour ( il faut l'faire ! ) Un autre fut mis en congé sans solde pendant six mois, qu'on accusait d'attouchement sur une élève, jusqu'à ce qu'un juge traite la fillette de menteuse et rétablisse la position du prof. Le salaire perdu ne fut pas rétrocédé (nouvelle jurisprudence dégageant une C.S. de la responsabilité de soutenir un enseignant accusé). Ce phénomène
  more... n'est pas unique au Nord, mais il est plus fréquent et plus dangereux.  less
Pros
Avantages sociaux
Cons
Système pris en otage
Awesome place and Awesome people!
Social Agent /Residence Manager (Former Employee) –  Inukjuak, QC13 March 2017
Working for KSB was one of the best experiences of my life. The Team and culture at KSB are next to none. They are extremely supportive individuals and are an excellent team. I worked for adult education sector so I cannot speak on behalf of the regular sector.

Living and working in a remote northern community can be a challenge at times due to a lack of resources but the head office and management go to great length to insure you have what you need to support your students.
My two supervisors were incredible people along with all my colleagues from both Pigiursavik as well as those from other adult centers.

I love the North and miss it very much each and everyday! I was immersed and learned about a very strong willed culture. They welcomed me to their community and made me feel right at home.

Inukjuak and the people I met there will always have a forever place in my heart and not a day goes by that I do not reminisce on my experience there. It it were not for family reasons, I would have remained there much longer term.

Id like to think, I will be back one day!
Pros
work environment, management, experience, learning, advancement, support, colleges, benefits, work hours
Cons
Isolation from family due to fly in communities.
Working in a Terrific Office Environment
Office Agent (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC25 May 2016
Working at Kativik was challenging and stimulating. Every day I worked there was a day filled with sorting files, scanning documents and organizing binders. Doing this allowed me to sharpen my organizational and multi tasking skills. I have also developed my ability to work well under pressure and under tight deadlines. My boss and co-workers were always ready to teach me new skills and techniques for getting the job done. Working by their side was one of the best parts of the job!
Pros
Getting experience working in an office
Cons
None that I know of
Great workplace
Physical and Health Education Master Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kuujjuaq, QC5 March 2016
The work environment is very positive and comfortable given the challenging nature of the job and location. The experience is invaluable and very rewarding.
Working in a Northern Quebec Inuit Community.
Special Needs Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kuujjuaraapik QC16 October 2015
This job was one of the best experiences in my life. I taught English, Math, Writing and Social Living Skills to students with learning disabilities between the ages of 14 and 21. I was very involved in this community with a stay in school hockey program. I was able to learn the Inuit culture through my students as well as the elders. This was an isolated fly in community on the Hudson Bay.
Pros
Excellent hunting and fishing
Cons
Cold weather
Tough but great
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Inukjuak, QC24 April 2015
I really enjoyed working here. It's all isolated communities so it's pretty intense but the kids are great (most of the time).

The principals are nice and generally know what they're up to.

The people at the board are less useful.
Inform Yourself
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nunavik, QC28 July 2014
Pros:

- Great looking paychecks, even when the government takes 1/2
- Beautiful landscapes and views
- No more watches! Time is irrelevant
- Many opportunities to create and execute academic projects/trips
- Freedom in lesson planning, content and style of delivery
- Time to think and self-awareness

Cons:

- You're on your own! Isolation from support, family, friends, modern life, your culture, the school board. You fend for yourself and forget being helped by the school board
- Culture shock
- No support from administration or higher ups
- Taxed extremely highly
- Basically a prisoner - you only get out with the Christmas, Easter and June breaks. To leave for other reasons, you must jump through hoops and usually without pay. There are no weekend breaks, you belong to the north.
- Your life is no longer private. You work and play with the same people and gossip is rampant.
- The union and school board are too closely connected
- Act of violence are common and the consequences are minimal or non-existent
- Racism and prejudice are common and present daily
- Language barrier - Inuktitut (school board will not pay for southern staff to learn the language)
- High turnover of teachers and support staff
- Many clerical errors - paychecks, cargo etc.
- High cost of living - food, gas, household items
- Alcoholism, drug abuse, physical/emotional/verbal abuse is very common
- Numerous other issues, too lengthy to post here.
enjoyable position relating to vocational school.
Security/ Night watchman (Former Employee) –  Inukjuak, QC3 January 2013
Vocational school was big and alot of guarding required. Mostly natives attending school.
Productive and safe environment, friendly staff and respectable.
Office Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 October 2012
The hardest part of the job was the french. Now that I have training I can understand better than before. I learned a little in the mail room part, I also learned how to operate the phones. The co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to use three languages and multitasking.
Very supportive and friendly palce to work.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Inukjuak, QC3 July 2012
Work hours: 6 hours per day
Education includes trades skills in heavy duty mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, computers, early childhood eduction, graphic design, upgrading, driver training, jewellery
Management: Excellent
Co-workers: Excellent
Hardest part of job: isolation
Most Enjoyable part of job: great students, great people to work with, independence
Pros
very friendly supportive environment
Cons
isolation and cold weather