Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Over promise, under deliver!
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada10 January 2017
If you apply for a "management trainee", they will tell you that you will be making upwards of $100,000 within a year or two. While this CAN happen, typically it is not the case. Expect that your work/life balance will go in the toilet. You will be asked what location you would like to manage but this is a formality. You will go where they need you as you they are the ones who decide where you go. The safety culture in the company as a whole is amazing. The benefits are awesome. The biggest downside is that you WILL be over promised and they WILL under deliver.
Benefits
Cons
Work/life balance
Servicing Customers For Life
Sales and Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC13 January 2017
Fast Paced high volume customer focused business. Get to meet amazing people every day, that is not solely directed at customers. Knowledgeable and extremely helpful team in every division of the company. Family Values makes it a well respected place to work for.
Pros
Lots of Overtime in busy season, Very Good benifits, Customer Driven business Model
Cons
Physically and Mentally demanding work, Long hours, Shoulder Season Hours
Horrible managers
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
Kal tire as a company is great but the management is sad a bunch of people who have never touched a tire or even a vehicle. They make u work crazy amount of hours especially if your a road tech and under pay you. They make your promises for advancement to make you take on more work load then you already are but will never advance you and won't pay you accordingly. You can make alot more doing alot less in so many other places...PLEASE I ADVICE YOU SAFE YOU SELF THE STRESS
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Long hours, under paid, poor managerment, alot more
Solid work environment with good team work
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 January 2017
Low wage to begin with but hard work is eventually rewarded. Very strong team work in the workplace.

Long hours and if it is busy season employees are walked on by the company.

If you are hired during fall/beginning of winter do not expect to be employed by christmas, they do seasonal hiring but do not let employees know before hand.
Pros
day hours
Cons
long hours, (8-7).
Working at Kal Tire
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB20 December 2016
Working here was great! I enjoyed going to work every day. Pay wasn't the highest I've ever received but I was able to live very comfortably. The only issue I had was the seminars I had to attend AND speak at once a year, and only because I don't do public speaking very well. Other than that, I had absolutely no complaint at all about this company or my time as an employee there!
Hard work and displaced rewards
Retread Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2016
Seems like a good place at first, a fast paced company with lots of work and reward to earn but quickly loses its good looks when you realize no matter how much you pick up and push for it just isn't enough. Mostly because managers come in later than workers and rarely see what potential is there and who does what and since they're the ones to help your wage progress; well advancement is an issue. In slow times the only thing done is lay offs are threatened to those who don't "pick it up". Not everything was bad about the job but in the end was far from worth it and more of a headache than a career.
Pros
Free lunches in meetings, good people
Cons
Hard work, little reward. Expected to be a robot
Long hours, good team and empty promises
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC17 October 2016
Ive been with the company for a while now and have learned from my experience that if you work hard then you get noticed but dont believe all the promises, you are constantly promised raises that never happen and apprenticeships you wont ever do. I infact have been told to buy a toolbox and tools which is pointless as they do not get used. We only have a couple guys on the service phone and are poorly compensated for 24 hour service and are expected to be at work 20 mins early after you had a 2 hour call at 4 in the morning which happens more often then not. If you like hard work with a good team then apply and decide for your self
Pros
Free dinner once a month and benefits
Cons
Long busy hours, 24 hour service phone
Hard working company, has profit share after 1yr, team share after 2yrs and rrsp
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB18 October 2016
Management isn't the greatest, hard to keep employees. hardest time of year is October to December, working 14hr days due to winter rush. Trying to build mechanical into company, hard to when you only offer certain repairs. Needs to add more mechanical opportunities or jobs to their list
Tire man (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
When you have no experience in cars and want to learn about it. This is a good place to work and start to expand your knowledge in cars. They will train you really well. Start with theories through computer video training and eventually proceed to handy work with a mentor working with you.

This is a team based job and has a lot of time pressure (depending on how busy the day is).

In the job, your main goal is to peel tires, rotate wheels or repair wheels as quick and safe as possible. Inspection is also done by checking under the hood and other parts of the car, but the main thing is the tires of the car.

If you are concerned about safety at work, there is nothing to worry in Kaltire. Employees are always reminded about safety everyday.

If you don't mind working in teams, working long hours and working 5 to 6 days a week, then I would definitely recommend this job.
Pros
Overtime (You'll earn lots of money)
Cons
Overtime (You ain't got no more life)
Kaltire
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 November 2016
its was a good job, i did mounts and balances, tire repairs, oil changes, all the basic vehicle maintenance. i had no complaints other then long hours. i had good friends working with me and mostly everyone got along well. the management was good. i dont need to say anymore.
Pros
good job
Cons
Worst place to work for period!
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC30 August 2016
I made another review about how bad this company was to work for and they had it removed. Well guess what I am giving them another bad review and if the remove this one I will make an new one and I will keep doing this to make sure nobody else goes through what I did.

The lie and use you and than screw you over when you need them most!
Fun workplace
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
We have a new manager now so its not as bad. Management was terrible at 624 previously, and proper working conditions were not met and followed.
Pros
Free food at partners meetings
Cons
Cant get 50/50 profit shares as a part-timer, even though ive worked there for nearly two years
Very efficient and managed well
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Kal Tire was my first place of work moving into Calgary, they knew I was in need of work very badly and they helped me out. It was only for a winter because they needed extra hands on deck, but it was a memorable team and experience.
The management was awesome, very helpful and training was superb; I still keep in touch with them today. When going in, I would get into gear and start bringing the cars in to get serviced. Most cars just needed new tires put on, but I did many oil changes, and much more.
The hardest part of this job was leaving, they wanted me to stay because they said I was a hard worker and did the job right. At that time though about 3 months in, I was starting to looking into getting started with sales. It was a job I'll never forget, most people hate waking up and going into work, but I looked forward to it.
Pros
Great culture and team
Cons
not as high of pay as I would have wanted
hard work and steady pace
Retread technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 September 2016
it was an enjoyable job but unhealthy work environment, i learned alot about tires and a few things about engines, co workers were great, the hard part was stripping the chambers in a tight hot space full of dust and dirt, most enjoyable was working with co workers
Pros
good people
Cons
staff made you feel a part of the team
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Longlac, ON28 November 2016
learning what it is like in a shop
having responsibility to do the job right
having to gain knowledge and experience
my co workers were great.
being able to go on after hour calls after my probation
Pros
team golf day with the staff
Fun work environment
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON10 January 2017
Working at Kal Tire taught me everything i know about cars and fueled my desire to work in the industry. i had very supportive coworkers and managers.
Pros
Great learning space.
Cons
higher-up getting stressed and in turn stressing me out.
We are co-workers and we are also a family.
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 July 2016
Since I work in here I have learned how to set myself into shop environment. I have learned how to be fast and accurate, and also how to solve problems with customers.

our management team was good as our brothers, we enjoy after we finish whole day and eating popsicle at the end of the day. everyday after changed we have about 10-15 minutes talk which includes variety of topics. I love working with the team.
its okay
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC12 December 2016
management sucks at timers they expect alot for how much they pay you and they expect you to work faster than jobs can be realistically completed and expect quality to go up
Pros
deal on wheels and tires
Cons
no lunches at times and managment sucks
Good job I guess it wasn't for me
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB6 September 2016
My time at Kal-Tire was alright, a lot to take in when it came to training and learning the job, can be hecktic at times, but what job wasn't, The staff was fantastic.
Pros
Discount on products for staff and the chance to work or cars, trucks etcs.
Cons
Stressful when it gets really really busy.
great place to work
North Bay / Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON5 January 2017
Management is exceptional. Staff very friendly. Hard work but enjoyable. Everyone watches out for each other. Safety is number one at KalTire.
Fred.
Pros
great staff and great atmosphere
Cons
some long hours, heavy lifting

2.7