Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Great place to grow
Mechanical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, ABDecember 3, 2015
Kal Tire is a fun and fast paced work environment. Advancement essentially is up to you and how far you want to advance and how much you want to get paid.. It's called wage progression. People who post on here about low wages, were just plain lazy. Online learning followed by hands on. Show you can do it, and BAM a raise. Although I am on salary I am treated fairly and outside winter rush typically don't work more than 8 hours a day. And even after winter rush I am offered a couple days off with pay to compensate for the long hours.
Profit sharing is great. In less than two years I had almost $13,000 in RRSP and the same amount as a cash bonus. Benefits are great especially for someone with a family. The sky is the limit with Kal and I love working here.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Good Team, all training provided.
Cons
NONE
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Pros
Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons
Shocking culture
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Pros
experience, maintaining a full time job
Fast paced, hard work, Great environment
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day would be Greeting customers, providing thorough inspection of breaks rotors and wheel well's of vehicles reporting my findings on an inspection sheet, communicating with customer of possible work that needs to be done or considered, changing, rotating tires, or installing new tires. workplace safety and training for advancement,
I learned a lot from this job. working in a fast paced team based environment, planning and co-ordination between team members, working with a deadline and a goal, keep safety a big priority, better customer service, and how to work under pressure,
Management was great, personable, friendly, reassuring and rewarding. Made everyone feel like a team member and welcome to the team, very understanding.
My co-workers were all hard working friendly individuals who i enjoyed working with a lot, made every day easy and fun, there was a proper understanding that to much chit-chat makes your work ethic suffer, good productivity, provided an upbeat atmosphere that made working there very enjoyable.
There were many hard parts to this job, but none that were stressful or easy to overcome with proper training and time management. The only part that was difficult was working on big diesel trucks with dual axle's in the back.
This job was all around enjoyable
Pros
Great environment, room for advancement, Fun work.
Very efficient and managed well
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2016
Kal Tire was my first place of work moving into Calgary, they knew I was in need of work very badly and they helped me out. It was only for a winter because they needed extra hands on deck, but it was a memorable team and experience.
The management was awesome, very helpful and training was superb; I still keep in touch with them today. When going in, I would get into gear and start bringing the cars in to get serviced. Most cars just needed new tires put on, but I did many oil changes, and much more.
The hardest part of this job was leaving, they wanted me to stay because they said I was a hard worker and did the job right. At that time though about 3 months in, I was starting to looking into getting started with sales. It was a job I'll never forget, most people hate waking up and going into work, but I looked forward to it.
Pros
Great culture and team
Cons
not as high of pay as I would have wanted
good place to work
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCDecember 31, 2015
-Good working environment
-management treats you like family
-work load is physical but easy
-lots of room for advancement
-lots of benefits
Pros
good management
Cons
seasonal
Empty promises
Tire tech (Former Employee) –  Retread winnipeg mbDecember 25, 2015
If u have no back bone this place to be. Good luck Your expected to do long hours even once u explain u can't work weekends. Management lies and act like kids in a sand box. They act like safety is a big deal in meetings yet they practice so many dangerous activities.
Only good thing was the other fellows on shop floor
The lead hand and foreman had not much clue on lean manufacturing they would look at a bord
Very unprofessional place to work
Pros
Cons
Lots
great place to work
Commercial B2B Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
great opportunity, awesome company. Family owned, huge earning potential for people willing to work hard. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to start from the ground up. Autonomy is earned
Pros
profit share
productive, lots of freedom
fair management
easy advancement
rewarding
mediocur pay
Pros
free lunch, overtime well confensated
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
We are co-workers and we are also a family.
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Since I work in here I have learned how to set myself into shop environment. I have learned how to be fast and accurate, and also how to solve problems with customers.

our management team was good as our brothers, we enjoy after we finish whole day and eating popsicle at the end of the day. everyday after changed we have about 10-15 minutes talk which includes variety of topics. I love working with the team.
Great company with excellent values and legitimate morals
Part Time Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2016
Kal Tire has many regulations and policies that establish the intent of being a company full of real people, not just sales staff. The company is very supportive of their employees, and enforce training and rules to keep everyone as safe as possible. The Waterloo location is run by many fantastic people who will go through great lengths to make sure that you are happy and safe while working.
Pros
Great staff, excellent and honest business practices
Fun work enviroment, Management sucks and the store policy is out of control
sales service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
As a team member you would expect to be treated fairly and equal but that's not the case, during winter rush you are expected to go over and above for the company working very long hours and and doing anything thing possible to go the extra mile, but whats happens is that you are belittled, shamed, guilted and bullied by so called team players (managers) so 20 days before Christmas comes and they pull me aside and tell me due to the nature of the buisness there is a slow down in work and I am being laid off, well explain that to my 2 small children that Christmas wont happen this year cause daddy is laid off!! after i have gone the extra mile to better the company by providing accurate and fast work. Makes me ill to my stomach the way I have been treated, do not reccomend working for these outfits if you expect any kind of fair treatment Shame on you kal tire. My review could have been far worse but I do have morals.
Pros
cant find any
Cons
Many listed
Worst place to work for period!
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 30, 2016
I made another review about how bad this company was to work for and they had it removed. Well guess what I am giving them another bad review and if the remove this one I will make an new one and I will keep doing this to make sure nobody else goes through what I did.

The lie and use you and than screw you over when you need them most!
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
Pros
Great crew (besides management)
Cons
The way employees are treated.
hard work and steady pace
Retread technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONSeptember 21, 2016
it was an enjoyable job but unhealthy work environment, i learned alot about tires and a few things about engines, co workers were great, the hard part was stripping the chambers in a tight hot space full of dust and dirt, most enjoyable was working with co workers
Pros
good people
Cons
Providing carriers with little to no experience
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 23, 2015
Very long work days when busy and really fast paste witch is normal for most places
Not much Learned had most of my experience prior.
Really good management team.
Most co-workers great to work with some I can do without.
Hardest part is dealing with upset customers and working on the heavy truck pad or service truck when the conditions are bad. Finding stock inventory can be frustrating when busy.(Product not being where they should)
Wage progressions are easy to do with online training
Non-paid staff meetings after hours.
Safety is the best I have seen in a work place.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
Low wages

2.7