Kal Tire Employee Reviews

great working environment and atmosphere.
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2017
being a tire technician is quite an easy job once you get into you're own routine, the job is physically demanding but if your in good shape you will have no issue with this job. Advancement opportunities in the company are awesome cause you can do company modules and get wage increases as well as apprenticeship opportunities and management opportunities.
Pros
free coffee and doughnuts from customers.
Cons
short hours
Fun and great workplace with great team members
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
A typical day at work would be 8 hours or more depends on how busy the store get. Management always had everything under control and make sure we got the job done in a timely and professional manner. Kal Tire is really good with work culture, from safety to being committed to the job. All the team members were great, easy to work with and made the job more enjoyable.
Pros
working on cars, being with my team members
Cons
nothing
Good but no Adancement
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB2 February 2017
I learned that coming into work early and leaving late is a good way to stay at a company. Although if you didn't like the things that the management liked they would make your life difficult. Everybody was easy to get along with, and the hardest part of the job was management always saying that people were replaceable, and threatening the employees that were going to be laid off, or fired. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people there.
Pros
Decent Money, good workers, fun environment
Cons
Negativity around the shop from the leaders, and not allowing advancement
Servicing Customers For Life
Sales and Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC13 January 2017
Fast Paced high volume customer focused business. Get to meet amazing people every day, that is not solely directed at customers. Knowledgeable and extremely helpful team in every division of the company. Family Values makes it a well respected place to work for.
Pros
Lots of Overtime in busy season, Very Good benifits, Customer Driven business Model
Cons
Physically and Mentally demanding work, Long hours, Shoulder Season Hours
Over promise, under deliver!
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada10 January 2017
If you apply for a "management trainee", they will tell you that you will be making upwards of $100,000 within a year or two. While this CAN happen, typically it is not the case. Expect that your work/life balance will go in the toilet. You will be asked what location you would like to manage but this is a formality. You will go where they need you as you they are the ones who decide where you go. The safety culture in the company as a whole is amazing. The benefits are awesome. The biggest downside is that you WILL be over promised and they WILL under deliver.
Benefits
Cons
Work/life balance
Solid work environment with good team work
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 January 2017
Low wage to begin with but hard work is eventually rewarded. Very strong team work in the workplace.

Long hours and if it is busy season employees are walked on by the company.

If you are hired during fall/beginning of winter do not expect to be employed by christmas, they do seasonal hiring but do not let employees know before hand.
Pros
day hours
Cons
long hours, (8-7).
Horrible managers
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
Kal tire as a company is great but the management is sad a bunch of people who have never touched a tire or even a vehicle. They make u work crazy amount of hours especially if your a road tech and under pay you. They make your promises for advancement to make you take on more work load then you already are but will never advance you and won't pay you accordingly. You can make alot more doing alot less in so many other places...PLEASE I ADVICE YOU SAFE YOU SELF THE STRESS
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Long hours, under paid, poor managerment, alot more
Working at Kal Tire
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB20 December 2016
Working here was great! I enjoyed going to work every day. Pay wasn't the highest I've ever received but I was able to live very comfortably. The only issue I had was the seminars I had to attend AND speak at once a year, and only because I don't do public speaking very well. Other than that, I had absolutely no complaint at all about this company or my time as an employee there!
fun workplace
Retreader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 February 2017
Great environment to work in opportunity to improve skill set and salary new ideas to learn it is a stable job making or retreading tires is a great experience for me i learn a lot working there great team long hours with overtime can be a challenge but i was up for it overall it is a good job that requires hard work and focus
Cons
10 hours daily
dead end job
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
overbooking and always pushing the clock when its too busy.
unrealistic expectations when it comes to mechanical work.
partnership meeting is a mandatory waste of time especially if you have 2 jobs. workplace politics plays a major part in advancing or you can be stuck as a tire tech till you decide its time to quit.
Hard work and displaced rewards
Retread Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2016
Seems like a good place at first, a fast paced company with lots of work and reward to earn but quickly loses its good looks when you realize no matter how much you pick up and push for it just isn't enough. Mostly because managers come in later than workers and rarely see what potential is there and who does what and since they're the ones to help your wage progress; well advancement is an issue. In slow times the only thing done is lay offs are threatened to those who don't "pick it up". Not everything was bad about the job but in the end was far from worth it and more of a headache than a career.
Pros
Free lunches in meetings, good people
Cons
Hard work, little reward. Expected to be a robot
Long hours, good team and empty promises
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC17 October 2016
Ive been with the company for a while now and have learned from my experience that if you work hard then you get noticed but dont believe all the promises, you are constantly promised raises that never happen and apprenticeships you wont ever do. I infact have been told to buy a toolbox and tools which is pointless as they do not get used. We only have a couple guys on the service phone and are poorly compensated for 24 hour service and are expected to be at work 20 mins early after you had a 2 hour call at 4 in the morning which happens more often then not. If you like hard work with a good team then apply and decide for your self
Pros
Free dinner once a month and benefits
Cons
Long busy hours, 24 hour service phone
great advancement and great training
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB28 February 2017
there was a lot of training opportunities and many chances for advancement
I really enjoyed the hard work and the changing of the tires. I felt like I accomplished things during the day
Pros
great training
Cons
poor management ( at my location)
Hard working company, has profit share after 1yr, team share after 2yrs and rrsp
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB18 October 2016
Management isn't the greatest, hard to keep employees. hardest time of year is October to December, working 14hr days due to winter rush. Trying to build mechanical into company, hard to when you only offer certain repairs. Needs to add more mechanical opportunities or jobs to their list
Excellent place to start up and save up
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 March 2017
Its an ok company. Team members is involved in everthing in the shop and they also send team member to a paid training before they let us start actual application
Pros
Staff account, discounted vehicle services
Cons
Winter rush
Tire man (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
When you have no experience in cars and want to learn about it. This is a good place to work and start to expand your knowledge in cars. They will train you really well. Start with theories through computer video training and eventually proceed to handy work with a mentor working with you.

This is a team based job and has a lot of time pressure (depending on how busy the day is).

In the job, your main goal is to peel tires, rotate wheels or repair wheels as quick and safe as possible. Inspection is also done by checking under the hood and other parts of the car, but the main thing is the tires of the car.

If you are concerned about safety at work, there is nothing to worry in Kaltire. Employees are always reminded about safety everyday.

If you don't mind working in teams, working long hours and working 5 to 6 days a week, then I would definitely recommend this job.
Pros
Overtime (You'll earn lots of money)
Cons
Overtime (You ain't got no more life)
Kaltire
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 November 2016
its was a good job, i did mounts and balances, tire repairs, oil changes, all the basic vehicle maintenance. i had no complaints other then long hours. i had good friends working with me and mostly everyone got along well. the management was good. i dont need to say anymore.
Pros
good job
Cons
Upbeat work place, with lots of room to grow professionally
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Creston, BC27 January 2017
A typical day is generally steady paced between tending to appointments, drop off vehicles, and customers wanting information/assistance with their vehicle.
I learn something new every day at work, and I strive to do so. Whether its something as simple as a new balancing trick, to learning how to do a whole new task itself (i.e. commercial tires..etc).
Management is very professional, as well as outstandingly organized. No employee is made to feel like a number in a company-one is made to feel like an appreciated contributor.
The toughest part of the job, I feel, is trying to balance the winter rush season.
It is by far the craziest time of year, and it requires concentration, and a constant drive to get tasks done (which I feel I do).
The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunities to learn. There is no lack in knowledge and I enjoy getting as much as I can.
Pros
Energetic employees, along with an abundance of team work.
Cons
Lack of proper running equipment.
Fun work environment
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON10 January 2017
Working at Kal Tire taught me everything i know about cars and fueled my desire to work in the industry. i had very supportive coworkers and managers.
Pros
Great learning space.
Cons
higher-up getting stressed and in turn stressing me out.
THe asshat of strathmore
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB22 February 2017
Just don't waste your time you will kick yourself in the butt, old tools poor safety and the biggest thing was the owners and management don't care about the employees just the cash in the pocket.
Pros
nothing
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kal Tire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8