Kal Tire Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Managed Poorly
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCMay 2, 2016
Pros: Free dinner once per month, Profit Sharing & 50/50, benefits
Cons: Unpaid meetings, "mandatory" overtime, no respect between management and employees, over promising and under delivering.
I worked for Kal Tire for approximately 5 years. Over the course of the 5 years I saw management and the company as a whole take a nose dive.

The way the company treats its employees is probably the worst I have ever seen.

Each month the store will have a staff meeting, mid-week, after the work day. These meetings generally last from 6:00PM to 7:30 or 8:00 PM and attending employees are not paid for the time. The "incentive" to go is the company purchasing cheap meals for the attendees. Additionally, if the meeting happens to fall on an employee's day off, the company still expects the employee to attend and once more, will not pay the employee. If the employee does not attend they will often be taken into the manager's office where the manager will "advise" the employee that a third of their profit share can be taken away and mention layoffs.

Additional unpaid meetings consisted of one 15 minute meeting per week, fortunately employees that had the day off were not required to attend.

The company has a 50/50 and profit sharing program where store profit will be split amongst the company, good program, but at the cost of one evening per month. The company also offers decent medical and dental coverage.

Higher management also decided they no longer wanted their employees to have any facial hair (including neatly trimmed). Store management then required all employees to shave any facial hair they may have initially been hired with.

The company has far too many managers and treats the employees that actually bring in money as if they are expendable. General employees – more... or "team members" come and go frequently, as the company promises frequent raises, makes the employee jump through hoops for said raises and fails to deliver in the end.

Often employees are required to do a job meant for two and often have to work 10 hours shifts (8 hours regual, 2 overtime) with no meal break. Also, the overtime is considered "mandatory" so it is best not to make plans after your scheduled work day, as management will only allow you to leave at their discretion.

In conclusion, Kal Tire is a "job", not a "career" and is only meant for temporary employment while moving on to bigger and better things. – less
repetivive
Tire Repairer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2016
Pros: reliable work
Cons: did not enjoy the moral
Repetitive, dirty atmosphere, lack of stimulation. Fixing tires, patching meeting quotas for production were a challenge. Inconsistent expectations made a difficult at times.
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros: Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons: Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
Pros: litterally nothing
Cons: long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Service Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Upper management is very polite and easy too talk too. Friendly working environment. They care a lot about their employees health and safety.
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Lots of training and advancement.
Cons: Long hours during busy season
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Tire Technician (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
i go in and fix and repair tires that that have damages or any other issues that need to to repaired before it go to the next process in the facility
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
Pros: experience, maintaining a full time job
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Pay, Hours, False Promise
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Fast paced, hard work, Great environment
Sales and service technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: Great environment, room for advancement, Fun work.
A typical day would be Greeting customers, providing thorough inspection of breaks rotors and wheel well's of vehicles reporting my findings on an inspection sheet, communicating with customer of possible work that needs to be done or considered, changing, rotating tires, or installing new tires. workplace safety and training for advancement,
I learned a lot from this job. working in a fast paced team based environment, planning and co-ordination between team members, working with a deadline and a goal, keep safety a big priority, better customer service, and how to work under pressure,
Management was great, personable, friendly, reassuring and rewarding. Made everyone feel like a team member and welcome to the team, very understanding.
My co-workers were all hard working friendly individuals who i enjoyed working with a lot, made every day easy and fun, there was a proper understanding that to much chit-chat makes your work ethic suffer, good productivity, provided an upbeat atmosphere that made working there very enjoyable.
There were many hard parts to this job, but none that were stressful or easy to overcome with proper training and time management. The only part that was difficult was working on big diesel trucks with dual axle's in the back.
This job was all around enjoyable
great place to work
Commercial B2B Outside Sales (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Pros: profit share
Cons: long hours
great opportunity, awesome company. Family owned, huge earning potential for people willing to work hard. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to start from the ground up. Autonomy is earned
productive, lots of freedom
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Slave Lake, ABFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: free lunch, overtime well confensated
steady work
easy advancement
rewarding
mediocur pay
good place to work
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee), edmonton, albertaFebruary 8, 2016
a nice and clean environment with good attitude of workers and clientele. kal tire is a good and profitable company with good focus on customer satisfaction
Determined, motivated and grateful with my job.
Automotive Technician-Apprentice (Former Employee), Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I did so many things in this place like tires, mounting and balanced repairs of all kinds of tires,and I started my apprentice like oil service, inspection, changed brakes, suspension components and alignment. Diagnosed engine and tune- up. I did a brake,transmission,coolant flush. Diagnosed and repaired vehicle vibration,electrical problems and squeaking sound. Clean the shop and tools, received and organized tires and auto parts. Maintained service vehicles.
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons: Shocking culture
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Great crew (besides management)
Cons: The way employees are treated.
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
I was happy and fun I had a good boss and good co-workres
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 26, 2016
I like want I was doing the co-workers fun to have I love going to work at kaltire my boss was a good boss I learned a lot from management
great place, but over worked
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Winnipeg City, MBJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: the people online worked great
Cons: kept us on for long hours
the job was great but they didnt uphold there end, was told i was gonna be a service truck driver, but they laid me off the month i was suppose to start my training. and they laid me off a few weeks before Xmas. thanks kal tire
great place to work fast paced and fun
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 1, 2016
Change over and rotate tires onto customer vehicles and perform minor mechanical inspections including oil changes.
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCDecember 31, 2015
Pros: good management
Cons: seasonal
-Good working environment
-management treats you like family
-work load is physical but easy
-lots of room for advancement
-lots of benefits