Kal Tire Employee Reviews in Canada

repetivive
Tire Repairer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2016
Repetitive, dirty atmosphere, lack of stimulation. Fixing tires, patching meeting quotas for production were a challenge. Inconsistent expectations made a difficult at times.
Pros
reliable work
Cons
did not enjoy the moral
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Upper management is very polite and easy too talk too. Friendly working environment. They care a lot about their employees health and safety.
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
i go in and fix and repair tires that that have damages or any other issues that need to to repaired before it go to the next process in the facility
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Pros
experience, maintaining a full time job
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Fast paced, hard work, Great environment
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day would be Greeting customers, providing thorough inspection of breaks rotors and wheel well's of vehicles reporting my findings on an inspection sheet, communicating with customer of possible work that needs to be done or considered, changing, rotating tires, or installing new tires. workplace safety and training for advancement,
I learned a lot from this job. working in a fast paced team based environment, planning and co-ordination between team members, working with a deadline and a goal, keep safety a big priority, better customer service, and how to work under pressure,
Management was great, personable, friendly, reassuring and rewarding. Made everyone feel like a team member and welcome to the team, very understanding.
My co-workers were all hard working friendly individuals who i enjoyed working with a lot, made every day easy and fun, there was a proper understanding that to much chit-chat makes your work ethic suffer, good productivity, provided an upbeat atmosphere that made working there very enjoyable.
There were many hard parts to this job, but none that were stressful or easy to overcome with proper training and time management. The only part that was difficult was working on big diesel trucks with dual axle's in the back.
This job was all around enjoyable
Pros
Great environment, room for advancement, Fun work.
great place to work
Commercial B2B Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
great opportunity, awesome company. Family owned, huge earning potential for people willing to work hard. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to start from the ground up. Autonomy is earned
Pros
profit share
productive, lots of freedom
fair management
easy advancement
rewarding
mediocur pay
Pros
free lunch, overtime well confensated
good place to work
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  edmonton, albertaFebruary 8, 2016
a nice and clean environment with good attitude of workers and clientele. kal tire is a good and profitable company with good focus on customer satisfaction
Determined, motivated and grateful with my job.
Automotive Technician-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I did so many things in this place like tires, mounting and balanced repairs of all kinds of tires,and I started my apprentice like oil service, inspection, changed brakes, suspension components and alignment. Diagnosed engine and tune- up. I did a brake,transmission,coolant flush. Diagnosed and repaired vehicle vibration,electrical problems and squeaking sound. Clean the shop and tools, received and organized tires and auto parts. Maintained service vehicles.
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Pros
Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons
Shocking culture
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
Pros
Great crew (besides management)
Cons
The way employees are treated.
I was happy and fun I had a good boss and good co-workres
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 26, 2016
I like want I was doing the co-workers fun to have I love going to work at kaltire my boss was a good boss I learned a lot from management
great place, but over worked
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MBJanuary 5, 2016
the job was great but they didnt uphold there end, was told i was gonna be a service truck driver, but they laid me off the month i was suppose to start my training. and they laid me off a few weeks before Xmas. thanks kal tire
Pros
the people online worked great
Cons
kept us on for long hours
great place to work fast paced and fun
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJanuary 1, 2016
Change over and rotate tires onto customer vehicles and perform minor mechanical inspections including oil changes.
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCDecember 31, 2015
-Good working environment
-management treats you like family
-work load is physical but easy
-lots of room for advancement
-lots of benefits
Pros
good management
Cons
seasonal
great people, upbeat work environment
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCDecember 28, 2015
in the busy seasons (late fall and spring) the shop is busy from the second we open until we finish the last vehicle. you are constantly on the move and needing to work quick and effectively. these times of the year are very rewarding.
Once January rolls around you're going to be left standing around with your thumb up your bum.
all of the team members are great to work with and working with these people is probably the best part of the job.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
mediocre pay