Kal Tire Employee Reviews in Canada

We are co-workers and we are also a family.
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Since I work in here I have learned how to set myself into shop environment. I have learned how to be fast and accurate, and also how to solve problems with customers.

our management team was good as our brothers, we enjoy after we finish whole day and eating popsicle at the end of the day. everyday after changed we have about 10-15 minutes talk which includes variety of topics. I love working with the team.
Great company with excellent values and legitimate morals
Part Time Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2016
Kal Tire has many regulations and policies that establish the intent of being a company full of real people, not just sales staff. The company is very supportive of their employees, and enforce training and rules to keep everyone as safe as possible. The Waterloo location is run by many fantastic people who will go through great lengths to make sure that you are happy and safe while working.
Pros
Great staff, excellent and honest business practices
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
Never
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB and brooksJuly 23, 2016
This place treated both me and my spouse like garbage they use you as cheap labor they don't pay you overtime you have to sign a contract agreeing not to receive it. They will work you as much as they possibly can for a poor amount of pay for how dangerous the job is
Cons
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
fast paced/ pressured
Commerical Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
management lie to your face. Work way too many hours(50-60 hrs/week is common- especially in winter.

people step on each other to get ahead!

Yearly Profit share can be large if working at profitable location
Pros
great training
Cons
long hours- pay not equal
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Pros
experience, maintaining a full time job
Determined, motivated and grateful with my job.
Automotive Technician-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I did so many things in this place like tires, mounting and balanced repairs of all kinds of tires,and I started my apprentice like oil service, inspection, changed brakes, suspension components and alignment. Diagnosed engine and tune- up. I did a brake,transmission,coolant flush. Diagnosed and repaired vehicle vibration,electrical problems and squeaking sound. Clean the shop and tools, received and organized tires and auto parts. Maintained service vehicles.
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Pros
Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons
Shocking culture
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
Pros
Great crew (besides management)
Cons
The way employees are treated.
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
Helping customers every day
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
I have learned in my time at Kal tire how to make sales and help customers find what they need and somtimes exceed there expectations
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor communication
repetivive
Tire Repairer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2016
Repetitive, dirty atmosphere, lack of stimulation. Fixing tires, patching meeting quotas for production were a challenge. Inconsistent expectations made a difficult at times.
Pros
reliable work
Cons
did not enjoy the moral
great people, upbeat work environment
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCDecember 28, 2015
in the busy seasons (late fall and spring) the shop is busy from the second we open until we finish the last vehicle. you are constantly on the move and needing to work quick and effectively. these times of the year are very rewarding.
Once January rolls around you're going to be left standing around with your thumb up your bum.
all of the team members are great to work with and working with these people is probably the best part of the job.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
mediocre pay
Empty promises
Tire tech (Former Employee) –  Retread winnipeg mbDecember 25, 2015
If u have no back bone this place to be. Good luck Your expected to do long hours even once u explain u can't work weekends. Management lies and act like kids in a sand box. They act like safety is a big deal in meetings yet they practice so many dangerous activities.
Only good thing was the other fellows on shop floor
The lead hand and foreman had not much clue on lean manufacturing they would look at a bord
Very unprofessional place to work
Pros
Cons
Lots
Not a bad place
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 11, 2016
Not a bad place to work, wish there was more advancements. Hopefully they change things in the future for future staff. ddasdfasdfsdafasdfdsafasdfdsfasdf
Productive and Fun workplace
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 22, 2015
Typical day at work was 4 hours of work followed by a half hour lunch break and then finished off with another 4 hours of work.

My co-workers were great group of people they were always friendly from the day i started till the day i left.

The hardest part of the job was doing the commercial vehicles, such as semi's and dumptrucks.
Pros
Discount on tires
Cons
Service Advisers were not organized
good place
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 15, 2016
The staff is good. i love to work there.
The location is near.
The people working there are really helpfull.
Hardest part is time
enjoyable part is easy handling
Cons
long
great place to work
Commercial B2B Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
great opportunity, awesome company. Family owned, huge earning potential for people willing to work hard. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to start from the ground up. Autonomy is earned
Pros
profit share

2.7