Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Gained a lot of experience
Manager | Alberta (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB25 May 2017
Have a very good management training system set up for their people. Made it easier for me to start my own tire shop. There were opportunities to advance which required me to transfer to other locations around Alberta. Salary was low but bonuses in profitable stores were good.
Don't be fooled
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 May 2017
They will tell you everything you want to hear to get you there, then break every promise they made. Management trainees are expected to work 55-60 hours a week on a small salary, while they take their time on your training and miss every goal they set from lack of trying.

Don't waste your time, 90% quit in the first year because of the sheer incompetence for the management.
Fun Job
Sales/Service (Former Employee) –  Hay River, NT16 May 2017
The people i worked with were great, the environment was fun and i learned a lot. The pay was good and the benefits were really decent as well. All in all a good place to work.
terrible just terrible
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC12 May 2017
no communication no teamwork no job security it is horrible they don't do things right have unqualified people there terrible place to work managers are terrible
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
fun place to work and lots to learn.
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2017
Kal tire offered a great place to work with lots of room for advancement and and a lot to learn. on top they offered lots of hours and found ways to keep everyone busy.
Great team and work place. However it quite seasonal influence.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB5 May 2017
Great team and work place. However it quite seasonal influence. management is depending on your store management's ability, my manager at spruce grove store is productive and efficient. quite enjoyable, and relax environment. but its hard for them to offer any permanent full time position from the store side.
Kal tire...looks good on the outside
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC3 May 2017
Job was new to me but having experience in other labor related jobs I took it on as a challenge. Got "sold" on the idea of wage progression if you complete your modules you get raises 3 months to get $2...good luck on that. Too many people telling you how to do things no consistency and no proper mentoring
I quit and it took 7 days before I spoke with the store manager on the phone. He didn't seem to care enough to call any earlier. Everyone is right it's all about their profits not about sustaining properly trained employees. Your going to put it your hard work just to get laid off in 3 months
Pros
Free week in Vernon for training
Cons
Treated like an outsider... rubber rash
Great place to work for people without families
Assistant Manager/Acting Manager (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC1 May 2017
I felt that the only course to do to benefit my family was to go back to school and further my education. Not great for people with family to take care of. I would highly recommend the SMT (Senior Management Team) educate their zone managers on how to support their other stores and have a better understanding of the managers situations personal and otherwise. Also, not to be so quick to dismiss the issues when they are brought up
Pros
Great oppurtunity to gain expeirence on how to manage a buisness
Cons
No work life balance
Worst managed ever.
mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2017
0 time managment skills. Managment only cares about profit sharing. Dont listen to any promise you may be givin, if you do, get it in writing. Store managers couldnt manage a Wal-mart if they tried. You can strive to make each day the best it can be but in the end you just struggle. Take your talents elsewhere.
Micro managed, under paid
Heavy truck tire technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON13 April 2017
Micro managed to the max, 6 different people to listen to, 6 different things people wanted done at once. Never sure who to listen too. Always last minute jobs before your shift is done making you work another hour or 2 or more. Got told a raise to 17$ happens when promoted to heavy truck and never seen it in the 3 months I was doing heavy truck was only making 13.20 an hour, got told we'll see how I do but yet they had me going on calls out of the shop alone which was completely illegal but I quit once I didn't see a raise.
Pros
Cons
Micro managed and underpaid
good company
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 April 2017
kal tire is a good company to work for it is a rewarding job .can be very fast paste at times i enjoy helping customers out and the company excels in taking care of the customer.
Pros
good benifit package and bonus program
Cons
Safe workplace, room for advancement
Journeyman Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC9 April 2017
Lots of room to grow within the company. Very willing to take team members on as an apprentice and put them through proper schooling. Everyone is trained properly and work environment is very safe.
Productive and fun workplace with plenty of growth opportunities.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC7 April 2017
Kal Tire has provided a good entry point for the entrepreneur to flex their skills as a people person and independent problem solver. Great benefits, great customer service.
Ridiculous people
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 April 2017
There not caring if you get hurt as long as you do your job but then fire you when you get off disability. Not the best people in management or running the shop.
Cons
Firing you for being hurt
dead end job
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
overbooking and always pushing the clock when its too busy.
unrealistic expectations when it comes to mechanical work.
partnership meeting is a mandatory waste of time especially if you have 2 jobs. workplace politics plays a major part in advancing or you can be stuck as a tire tech till you decide its time to quit.
Excellent place to start up and save up
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 March 2017
Its an ok company. Team members is involved in everthing in the shop and they also send team member to a paid training before they let us start actual application
Pros
Staff account, discounted vehicle services
Cons
Winter rush
Fast paced
Automotive shop lead hand (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 March 2017
Kal Tire can be a very stressful job at times when people start to line up waiting for their vehicles to be completed. Loud noises caused by air tools.
good people but underpaid for the work
vehicle service technician (Former Employee) –  edmonton7 March 2017
its a good place to work with lots of nice people. managment can be a bit hard headed and i found it hard to progress in the company which is why i left.
great working environment and atmosphere.
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2017
being a tire technician is quite an easy job once you get into you're own routine, the job is physically demanding but if your in good shape you will have no issue with this job. Advancement opportunities in the company are awesome cause you can do company modules and get wage increases as well as apprenticeship opportunities and management opportunities.
Pros
free coffee and doughnuts from customers.
Cons
short hours
great advancement and great training
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB28 February 2017
there was a lot of training opportunities and many chances for advancement
I really enjoyed the hard work and the changing of the tires. I felt like I accomplished things during the day
Pros
great training
Cons
poor management ( at my location)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kal Tire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8