Kal Tire Employee Reviews in Canada

good
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABAugust 24, 2016
Benefits were great (pick your own package plan) but salary wise it was the worst paying job ever and probably one of the hardest jobs. not enough men to respond to a call was almost always stuck doing everything on my own when on call.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
salary sucked
Not a bad place
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 11, 2016
Not a bad place to work, wish there was more advancements. Hopefully they change things in the future for future staff. ddasdfasdfsdafasdfdsafasdfdsfasdf
Helping customers every day
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
I have learned in my time at Kal tire how to make sales and help customers find what they need and somtimes exceed there expectations
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor communication
fast paced/ pressured
Commerical Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
management lie to your face. Work way too many hours(50-60 hrs/week is common- especially in winter.

people step on each other to get ahead!

Yearly Profit share can be large if working at profitable location
Pros
great training
Cons
long hours- pay not equal
Never
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB and brooksJuly 23, 2016
This place treated both me and my spouse like garbage they use you as cheap labor they don't pay you overtime you have to sign a contract agreeing not to receive it. They will work you as much as they possibly can for a poor amount of pay for how dangerous the job is
Cons
We are co-workers and we are also a family.
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Since I work in here I have learned how to set myself into shop environment. I have learned how to be fast and accurate, and also how to solve problems with customers.

our management team was good as our brothers, we enjoy after we finish whole day and eating popsicle at the end of the day. everyday after changed we have about 10-15 minutes talk which includes variety of topics. I love working with the team.
Great company with excellent values and legitimate morals
Part Time Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2016
Kal Tire has many regulations and policies that establish the intent of being a company full of real people, not just sales staff. The company is very supportive of their employees, and enforce training and rules to keep everyone as safe as possible. The Waterloo location is run by many fantastic people who will go through great lengths to make sure that you are happy and safe while working.
Pros
Great staff, excellent and honest business practices
Front Shop Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 23, 2016
Working at Kal Tire I learned a lot about cars which I found very interesting. My boss and co workers were great. Very positive atmosphere.
good place
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 15, 2016
The staff is good. i love to work there.
The location is near.
The people working there are really helpfull.
Hardest part is time
enjoyable part is easy handling
Cons
long
Kal tire
TIRE TECHNICIAN, COMERCIAL TRUCK (Current Employee) –  kal tire north vancouverMay 13, 2016
I would not recommend kal tire as an employer to anyone, it is poorly managed, they emphasize safety but care only about profits.
Managed Poorly
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMay 2, 2016
I worked for Kal Tire for approximately 5 years. Over the course of the 5 years I saw management and the company as a whole take a nose dive.

The way the company treats its employees is probably the worst I have ever seen.

Each month the store will have a staff meeting, mid-week, after the work day. These meetings generally last from 6:00PM to 7:30 or 8:00 PM and attending employees are not paid for the time. The "incentive" to go is the company purchasing cheap meals for the attendees. Additionally, if the meeting happens to fall on an employee's day off, the company still expects the employee to attend and once more, will not pay the employee. If the employee does not attend they will often be taken into the manager's office where the manager will "advise" the employee that a third of their profit share can be taken away and mention layoffs.

Additional unpaid meetings consisted of one 15 minute meeting per week, fortunately employees that had the day off were not required to attend.

The company has a 50/50 and profit sharing program where store profit will be split amongst the company, good program, but at the cost of one evening per month. The company also offers decent medical and dental coverage.

Higher management also decided they no longer wanted their employees to have any facial hair (including neatly trimmed). Store management then required all employees to shave any facial hair they may have initially been hired with.

The company has far too many managers and treats the employees that actually bring in money as if they are expendable. General employees
  more... or "team members" come and go frequently, as the company promises frequent raises, makes the employee jump through hoops for said raises and fails to deliver in the end.

Often employees are required to do a job meant for two and often have to work 10 hours shifts (8 hours regual, 2 overtime) with no meal break. Also, the overtime is considered "mandatory" so it is best not to make plans after your scheduled work day, as management will only allow you to leave at their discretion.

In conclusion, Kal Tire is a "job", not a "career" and is only meant for temporary employment while moving on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Free dinner once per month, Profit Sharing & 50/50, benefits
Cons
Unpaid meetings, "mandatory" overtime, no respect between management and employees, over promising and under delivering.
repetivive
Tire Repairer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2016
Repetitive, dirty atmosphere, lack of stimulation. Fixing tires, patching meeting quotas for production were a challenge. Inconsistent expectations made a difficult at times.
Pros
reliable work
Cons
did not enjoy the moral
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Upper management is very polite and easy too talk too. Friendly working environment. They care a lot about their employees health and safety.
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
good place to work
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
i go in and fix and repair tires that that have damages or any other issues that need to to repaired before it go to the next process in the facility
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Pros
experience, maintaining a full time job
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Fast paced, hard work, Great environment
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day would be Greeting customers, providing thorough inspection of breaks rotors and wheel well's of vehicles reporting my findings on an inspection sheet, communicating with customer of possible work that needs to be done or considered, changing, rotating tires, or installing new tires. workplace safety and training for advancement,
I learned a lot from this job. working in a fast paced team based environment, planning and co-ordination between team members, working with a deadline and a goal, keep safety a big priority, better customer service, and how to work under pressure,
Management was great, personable, friendly, reassuring and rewarding. Made everyone feel like a team member and welcome to the team, very understanding.
My co-workers were all hard working friendly individuals who i enjoyed working with a lot, made every day easy and fun, there was a proper understanding that to much chit-chat makes your work ethic suffer, good productivity, provided an upbeat atmosphere that made working there very enjoyable.
There were many hard parts to this job, but none that were stressful or easy to overcome with proper training and time management. The only part that was difficult was working on big diesel trucks with dual axle's in the back.
This job was all around enjoyable
Pros
Great environment, room for advancement, Fun work.

2.7