Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Long hours, good team and empty promises
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC17 October 2016
Ive been with the company for a while now and have learned from my experience that if you work hard then you get noticed but dont believe all the promises, you are constantly promised raises that never happen and apprenticeships you wont ever do. I infact have been told to buy a toolbox and tools which is pointless as they do not get used. We only have a couple guys on the service phone and are poorly compensated for 24 hour service and are expected to be at work 20 mins early after you had a 2 hour call at 4 in the morning which happens more often then not. If you like hard work with a good team then apply and decide for your self
Pros
Free dinner once a month and benefits
Cons
Long busy hours, 24 hour service phone
Over promise, under deliver!
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada10 January 2017
If you apply for a "management trainee", they will tell you that you will be making upwards of $100,000 within a year or two. While this CAN happen, typically it is not the case. Expect that your work/life balance will go in the toilet. You will be asked what location you would like to manage but this is a formality. You will go where they need you as you they are the ones who decide where you go. The safety culture in the company as a whole is amazing. The benefits are awesome. The biggest downside is that you WILL be over promised and they WILL under deliver.
Benefits
Cons
Work/life balance
Servicing Customers For Life
Sales and Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC13 January 2017
Fast Paced high volume customer focused business. Get to meet amazing people every day, that is not solely directed at customers. Knowledgeable and extremely helpful team in every division of the company. Family Values makes it a well respected place to work for.
Pros
Lots of Overtime in busy season, Very Good benifits, Customer Driven business Model
Cons
Physically and Mentally demanding work, Long hours, Shoulder Season Hours
Horrible managers
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
Kal tire as a company is great but the management is sad a bunch of people who have never touched a tire or even a vehicle. They make u work crazy amount of hours especially if your a road tech and under pay you. They make your promises for advancement to make you take on more work load then you already are but will never advance you and won't pay you accordingly. You can make alot more doing alot less in so many other places...PLEASE I ADVICE YOU SAFE YOU SELF THE STRESS
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Long hours, under paid, poor managerment, alot more
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
but terrible pay.
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC12 September 2016
Great benefits if you dont mind making minimum wage and managment that doesnt respect you. Push your limits, they make you all the things no one else wants to do. I would NEVER reccomend a job there.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, start at minimum wage
good
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB24 August 2016
Benefits were great (pick your own package plan) but salary wise it was the worst paying job ever and probably one of the hardest jobs. not enough men to respond to a call was almost always stuck doing everything on my own when on call.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
salary sucked
Tire man (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
When you have no experience in cars and want to learn about it. This is a good place to work and start to expand your knowledge in cars. They will train you really well. Start with theories through computer video training and eventually proceed to handy work with a mentor working with you.

This is a team based job and has a lot of time pressure (depending on how busy the day is).

In the job, your main goal is to peel tires, rotate wheels or repair wheels as quick and safe as possible. Inspection is also done by checking under the hood and other parts of the car, but the main thing is the tires of the car.

If you are concerned about safety at work, there is nothing to worry in Kaltire. Employees are always reminded about safety everyday.

If you don't mind working in teams, working long hours and working 5 to 6 days a week, then I would definitely recommend this job.
Pros
Overtime (You'll earn lots of money)
Cons
Overtime (You ain't got no more life)
Kaltire
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 November 2016
its was a good job, i did mounts and balances, tire repairs, oil changes, all the basic vehicle maintenance. i had no complaints other then long hours. i had good friends working with me and mostly everyone got along well. the management was good. i dont need to say anymore.
Pros
good job
Cons
Very efficient and managed well
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Kal Tire was my first place of work moving into Calgary, they knew I was in need of work very badly and they helped me out. It was only for a winter because they needed extra hands on deck, but it was a memorable team and experience.
The management was awesome, very helpful and training was superb; I still keep in touch with them today. When going in, I would get into gear and start bringing the cars in to get serviced. Most cars just needed new tires put on, but I did many oil changes, and much more.
The hardest part of this job was leaving, they wanted me to stay because they said I was a hard worker and did the job right. At that time though about 3 months in, I was starting to looking into getting started with sales. It was a job I'll never forget, most people hate waking up and going into work, but I looked forward to it.
Pros
Great culture and team
Cons
not as high of pay as I would have wanted
Hard work and displaced rewards
Retread Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2016
Seems like a good place at first, a fast paced company with lots of work and reward to earn but quickly loses its good looks when you realize no matter how much you pick up and push for it just isn't enough. Mostly because managers come in later than workers and rarely see what potential is there and who does what and since they're the ones to help your wage progress; well advancement is an issue. In slow times the only thing done is lay offs are threatened to those who don't "pick it up". Not everything was bad about the job but in the end was far from worth it and more of a headache than a career.
Pros
Free lunches in meetings, good people
Cons
Hard work, little reward. Expected to be a robot
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
Great place to grow
Mechanical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, AB3 December 2015
Kal Tire is a fun and fast paced work environment. Advancement essentially is up to you and how far you want to advance and how much you want to get paid.. It's called wage progression. People who post on here about low wages, were just plain lazy. Online learning followed by hands on. Show you can do it, and BAM a raise. Although I am on salary I am treated fairly and outside winter rush typically don't work more than 8 hours a day. And even after winter rush I am offered a couple days off with pay to compensate for the long hours.
Profit sharing is great. In less than two years I had almost $13,000 in RRSP and the same amount as a cash bonus. Benefits are great especially for someone with a family. The sky is the limit with Kal and I love working here.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Good Team, all training provided.
Cons
NONE
great place to work
North Bay / Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON5 January 2017
Management is exceptional. Staff very friendly. Hard work but enjoyable. Everyone watches out for each other. Safety is number one at KalTire.
Fred.
Pros
great staff and great atmosphere
Cons
some long hours, heavy lifting
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB15 March 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
Solid work environment with good team work
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 January 2017
Low wage to begin with but hard work is eventually rewarded. Very strong team work in the workplace.

Long hours and if it is busy season employees are walked on by the company.

If you are hired during fall/beginning of winter do not expect to be employed by christmas, they do seasonal hiring but do not let employees know before hand.
Pros
day hours
Cons
long hours, (8-7).
fast paced/ pressured
Commerical Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
management lie to your face. Work way too many hours(50-60 hrs/week is common- especially in winter.

people step on each other to get ahead!

Yearly Profit share can be large if working at profitable location
Pros
great training
Cons
long hours- pay not equal
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Hard working company, has profit share after 1yr, team share after 2yrs and rrsp
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB18 October 2016
Management isn't the greatest, hard to keep employees. hardest time of year is October to December, working 14hr days due to winter rush. Trying to build mechanical into company, hard to when you only offer certain repairs. Needs to add more mechanical opportunities or jobs to their list
hard work and steady pace
Retread technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 September 2016
it was an enjoyable job but unhealthy work environment, i learned alot about tires and a few things about engines, co workers were great, the hard part was stripping the chambers in a tight hot space full of dust and dirt, most enjoyable was working with co workers
Pros
good people

2.7