Kal Tire Employee Reviews

We are co-workers and we are also a family.
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Since I work in here I have learned how to set myself into shop environment. I have learned how to be fast and accurate, and also how to solve problems with customers.

our management team was good as our brothers, we enjoy after we finish whole day and eating popsicle at the end of the day. everyday after changed we have about 10-15 minutes talk which includes variety of topics. I love working with the team.
Worst place to work for period!
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 30, 2016
I made another review about how bad this company was to work for and they had it removed. Well guess what I am giving them another bad review and if the remove this one I will make an new one and I will keep doing this to make sure nobody else goes through what I did.

The lie and use you and than screw you over when you need them most!
Cons
Great company with excellent values and legitimate morals
Part Time Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2016
Kal Tire has many regulations and policies that establish the intent of being a company full of real people, not just sales staff. The company is very supportive of their employees, and enforce training and rules to keep everyone as safe as possible. The Waterloo location is run by many fantastic people who will go through great lengths to make sure that you are happy and safe while working.
Pros
Great staff, excellent and honest business practices
Very efficient and managed well
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2016
Kal Tire was my first place of work moving into Calgary, they knew I was in need of work very badly and they helped me out. It was only for a winter because they needed extra hands on deck, but it was a memorable team and experience.
The management was awesome, very helpful and training was superb; I still keep in touch with them today. When going in, I would get into gear and start bringing the cars in to get serviced. Most cars just needed new tires put on, but I did many oil changes, and much more.
The hardest part of this job was leaving, they wanted me to stay because they said I was a hard worker and did the job right. At that time though about 3 months in, I was starting to looking into getting started with sales. It was a job I'll never forget, most people hate waking up and going into work, but I looked forward to it.
Pros
Great culture and team
Cons
not as high of pay as I would have wanted
hard work and steady pace
Retread technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONSeptember 21, 2016
it was an enjoyable job but unhealthy work environment, i learned alot about tires and a few things about engines, co workers were great, the hard part was stripping the chambers in a tight hot space full of dust and dirt, most enjoyable was working with co workers
Pros
good people
Cons
Good job I guess it wasn't for me
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABSeptember 6, 2016
My time at Kal-Tire was alright, a lot to take in when it came to training and learning the job, can be hecktic at times, but what job wasn't, The staff was fantastic.
Pros
Discount on products for staff and the chance to work or cars, trucks etcs.
Cons
Stressful when it gets really really busy.
Never
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB and brooksJuly 23, 2016
This place treated both me and my spouse like garbage they use you as cheap labor they don't pay you overtime you have to sign a contract agreeing not to receive it. They will work you as much as they possibly can for a poor amount of pay for how dangerous the job is
Cons
good
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABAugust 24, 2016
Benefits were great (pick your own package plan) but salary wise it was the worst paying job ever and probably one of the hardest jobs. not enough men to respond to a call was almost always stuck doing everything on my own when on call.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
salary sucked
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
fast paced/ pressured
Commerical Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
management lie to your face. Work way too many hours(50-60 hrs/week is common- especially in winter.

people step on each other to get ahead!

Yearly Profit share can be large if working at profitable location
Pros
great training
Cons
long hours- pay not equal
but terrible pay.
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCSeptember 12, 2016
Great benefits if you dont mind making minimum wage and managment that doesnt respect you. Push your limits, they make you all the things no one else wants to do. I would NEVER reccomend a job there.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, start at minimum wage
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Pros
experience, maintaining a full time job
Helping customers every day
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
I have learned in my time at Kal tire how to make sales and help customers find what they need and somtimes exceed there expectations
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor communication
Determined, motivated and grateful with my job.
Automotive Technician-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I did so many things in this place like tires, mounting and balanced repairs of all kinds of tires,and I started my apprentice like oil service, inspection, changed brakes, suspension components and alignment. Diagnosed engine and tune- up. I did a brake,transmission,coolant flush. Diagnosed and repaired vehicle vibration,electrical problems and squeaking sound. Clean the shop and tools, received and organized tires and auto parts. Maintained service vehicles.
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Pros
Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons
Shocking culture
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
Pros
Great crew (besides management)
Cons
The way employees are treated.
Not a bad place
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 11, 2016
Not a bad place to work, wish there was more advancements. Hopefully they change things in the future for future staff. ddasdfasdfsdafasdfdsafasdfdsfasdf

2.7