Kal Tire

Kal Tire Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
in a nutshell
Service Technician/ Counter Sales (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 17, 2015
Pros: deals on tires
Cons: long hours, bad work life balance.
working at kal tire is great, the people for the most part are easy to work with and can feel really rewarding, other days its tough to find the enthusiasm to get through the day.

the one down side is the extremely long hours, i feel its not a good work life balance.
Fun Place to work,
Certified Outside Sales (Current Employee), CalgaryAugust 10, 2015
Pros: great people, large family owned company
Cons: salary is low, but can be made up with higher commissions.
Fun place to work with lots to learn and some room for advancement. learned to help customers save time and money by listening and proposing solutions to their problems. Team Members are great.
Career Tracker / Management Trainee program is horrible AVOID AVOID AVOID
Management Trainee (Former Employee), West Kelowna, BCAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything about the place
As a Career Tracker I was on a $40k salary working 57-60 hours a week. It nearly costed me my relationship, I had no work/life balance and the worst part was- I had nothing to show for all my hard work. I was often used for cheap labour so the company wouldn't have to pay their employees overtime. I have a bachelors degree in business and 5 years prior management experience in the automotive industry – more... but I was almost always put in the shop changing tires to save the company on labour. It felt like a giant scam towards the end.

Kal Tire is known for having a very high turn over rate and it is almost as though they like it that way- they don't have to give employees raises. To add to this, after the winter rush, almost all the employees get laid off for a few weeks or permanently.

The profit share is a joke. The company is continually expanding it's number of stores. Each store cuts into a nearby stores profit share.

They promise everyone that they will be in management one day making over $100,000 salary and some can do it in under a year. It's so far from the truth it's not even funny. Nearly everyone I went to Sales and Service training with one year ago has already quit because of the same reason I quit.

What really set me off was how my shifts did not start until 7:30am although I was required to be there every morning for the mandatory 7:00am sales meeting- this made it difficult to collect overtime. Besides this, I had to "volunteer" a half day of my own personal time UNPAID once a week. This is illegal.

Perhaps working for the Vernon office is better, but I DO NOT recommend working for this company. There are better companies out there that treat their employees much better, pay them better and with shorter hours. I worked service rigs and worked less hard than I did at Kal Tire. This is a last resort place to work when you literally can't find a decent job.

DON'T FALL FOR THE MANAGEMENT TRAINEE/CAREER TRACKER PITCH!!!

You will never be rich working for Kal Tire, don't let their pushy high pressure interview tactics let you believe otherwise. – less
fairly productive, fun work place, good co- workers
Passenger Tire Technician (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 29, 2015
met a lot of good people, learned about the tire business, felt like management could of been more supportive, offered more training when I was willing to learn.
A pain for P/T, a sentance for F/T
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 16, 2015
The management staff was rude to employees, and did not care about workplace conditions. Depends on the branch, but I would like to see my future away from Kal Tire as a whole.
Busy in the winter, slow in the summer.
Tire Technician (Current Employee), Squamish, BCJune 17, 2015
Pros: Lunches were bought by the shop on really busy days
Cons: Virtually no life during the winter season.
Kal Tire as a corporation is a great employer, but the store I was employed at was poorly organized, had terrible management, unsafe working habits, poor customer service, and untrained employees.
Great experience with great people.
Human Resources Team Member (Former Employee), Vernon BCJune 4, 2015
Great team members, great learning environment. Was able to transfer my post-secondary education to on the job situations. Support team was amazing.
Loyal, rewarding and understanding culture with solid aims towards grand goals
Management Trainee, Fast Track Program (Current Employee), Vernon, BCMay 31, 2015
Pros: 50/50
I arrived 20-30 minutes early because I wanted to; I felt a part of my mentor and his plan, for me, the store and the business.

The Computer - Based - Training was helpful but the hands-on experience was invaluable; teaching me a completely new skill set while balanced with practical and theory.

The day started by arriving early, team building, formal Management meeting(s), which were productive and not drawn out. CBT for an elected time by my mentor and then you hit the front shop for all service aspects and balance it with sales in the showroom.

Long but rewarding days were tough in the winter darkness but peak cycles happen with weather but the 50 / 50 profit sharing made every hour of learning the labour and every second of customer service worth my best effort.
great company
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 25, 2015
The manager was not the best in any since. didnt want to help take care of employees, doesnt matter who you are how long you were there and how many hours
Get ready to swallow your pride, dignity, and self respect
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee), WinnipegApril 21, 2015
Pros: $$ is ok....and almost always lots of OT due to their ridiculously high turnover
Cons: pretty much everything other than some of the people
Kal Tire used to be a great organization to be apart of, and I suppose depending on who the Manager/Zone Manager is in your location, it probably can be. Otherwise prepare to work long hours 60+hrs/wk (usually forced on salaried employees). Prepare to be lied to, misled, over promised, under delivered, and taken advantage of. Be prepared to be thrown into positions and situations with little to – more... no training but complete responsibility&accountability the second there's an issue. Never have a family, a life, any personal issues or consideration. Just do what is best for Kal Tire, the Kal Tire way, on Kal Tires schedule.....Kal Tire. If you happen to be one of those people who completely lack self respect, dignity, compassion, basic intelligence, common sense, or understanding of the human condition, and are willing to step over, on, or through anyone to get where you want to be, then this is the place for you.

Not the whole company but more than a few regions....if you live in the Saskatchewan area you're ok....don't waste your time in Manitoba though. The guy they have running the zone here now is just a complete #'s guy and doesn't care about people at all – less
Wonderful company and great training base
Admnistration (Former Employee), Hinton, ABApril 21, 2015
Great group, and supportive departments during training. Everyone was always willing to spare time to answer questions, walk you through steps to finish tasks, complete work, or gelp when you got stuck.
Poorly managed, if at all. Mistake after mistake
Shop Foreman (Former Employee), BCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Employee discount on tires.
Cons: Not enough work, not enough equipment, not enough trained staff
Kal Tire seems to be more concerned about their customers than employees. Staff meetings a complete waste of breath. Severely under-trained staff, little motivation, no supervision.
Productive, fun work environment, great over-time
Sales and service (Former Employee), Regina,skApril 14, 2015
Pros: Friendly work enviroment
Cons: Very poor managment
Very poor managment. All concerned about how much they'll get at as a bonus. Rarely hands out raises even when you got lots of experience expect to work 100+hours every two weeks for poor pay.
Typical work place
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Bonnie Doon AlbertaMarch 20, 2015
Pros: paid for meals for meetings
Cons: low salary, budget cuts
A typical day, included changing tires and rims on vehicles, basic car inspections, oil changes.
I learned how to work with others to quickly complete tasks when asked.
Management in that location wasn't the strongest, but you could still bring up some concerns to the team leader.
My coworkers, were mostly younger men, and as a female it is difficult to find a place to work well in.
I don't think I was at the job long enough to find something to compare being hard to.
I enjoyed just working around cars, and being able to come home knowing I am working in a career that I really enjoy.
worst place to work of all the tire shops
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 19, 2015
it was by far the worst place I have ever been employed. they management system they have in place is ridiculous. six people on the front counter at once all thinking they are the manager it makes for a VERY stressful environment and the turnover rate is very high. run away as fast as you can.
Stay Away
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
Full of broken promises, long hours (usually unpaid) , and a learning system that is utterly broken.

They preach "family/work balance" and have no intentions on supporting that statement.
My raise was dependent on a series of records kept of my learning progress and right before I was about to get my first raise the manager "lost" the prior 6 months worth of records and told me it would have to be redone.

What a joke.
Decent place to work.
Microsoft Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Vernon, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good deal on tires. ;0)
Cons: not much in the way of career growth in my area.
Not a bad place to work. Good people, good culture. Wages are considerably lower than comparable jobs in other areas. The Senior Management is really good to deal with. They know most employees by name, and will talk with you like they have been friends o your family for years. I do a fair amount of after hours activities with various members of the team. It really is like a big family here.
Great work enviroment
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Calgary AbFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: awesome days at work
Cons: long hours during winter rush
Everyone is extremely plesent, any time you need help someone is there with the knowledge to help you. Ben the manager was a exceptional guy, never got mad at anything. the hardest part of the job was moving big truck tires, but the longer i stayed working there the easier it got until it wasn't a struggle anymore. the most enjoyable part of working there was the other employees, everyone worked amazing together and it made the job go by super fast.
terrible place of business
Sales And Service (Former Employee), Langford, BCFebruary 10, 2015
Manager of the store treated his lesser employees very poorly, as he cosidered them disposable it seemed. even though they really push the whole team members line there
Awesome Workplace
Cleaning Lady, Secretary (Former Employee), Kirkland Lake, OntarioFebruary 9, 2015
Worked afternoons cleaning their show room and the bosses office. I also answered the phone and answered emails. Usually worked till 5:30
Industry