Kal Tire

Kal Tire Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Get ready to swallow your pride, dignity, and self respect
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee), WinnipegApril 21, 2015
Pros: $$ is ok....and almost always lots of OT due to their ridiculously high turnover
Cons: pretty much everything other than some of the people
Kal Tire used to be a great organization to be apart of, and I suppose depending on who the Manager/Zone Manager is in your location, it probably can be. Otherwise prepare to work long hours 60+hrs/wk (usually forced on salaried employees). Prepare to be lied to, misled, over promised, under delivered, and taken advantage of. Be prepared to be thrown into positions and situations with little to no training but complete responsibility&accountability the second there's an issue. Never have a family, a life, any personal issues or consideration. Just do what is best for Kal Tire, the Kal Tire way, on Kal Tires schedule.....Kal Tire. If you happen to be one of those people who completely lack self respect, dignity, compassion, basic intelligence, common sense, or understanding of the human condition, and are willing to step over, on, or through anyone to get where you want to be, then this is the place for you.

Not the whole company but more than a few regions....if you live in the Saskatchewan area you're ok....don't waste your time in Manitoba though. The guy they have running the zone here now is just a complete #'s guy and doesn't care about people at all
Wonderful company and great training base
Admnistration (Former Employee), Hinton, ABApril 21, 2015
Great group, and supportive departments during training. Everyone was always willing to spare time to answer questions, walk you through steps to finish tasks, complete work, or gelp when you got stuck.
Poorly managed, if at all. Mistake after mistake
Shop Foreman (Former Employee), BCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Employee discount on tires.
Cons: Not enough work, not enough equipment, not enough trained staff
Kal Tire seems to be more concerned about their customers than employees. Staff meetings a complete waste of breath. Severely under-trained staff, little motivation, no supervision.
Productive, fun work environment, great over-time
Sales and service (Former Employee), Regina,skApril 14, 2015
Pros: Friendly work enviroment
Cons: Very poor managment
Very poor managment. All concerned about how much they'll get at as a bonus. Rarely hands out raises even when you got lots of experience expect to work 100+hours every two weeks for poor pay.
Typical work place
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Bonnie Doon AlbertaMarch 20, 2015
Pros: paid for meals for meetings
Cons: low salary, budget cuts
A typical day, included changing tires and rims on vehicles, basic car inspections, oil changes.
I learned how to work with others to quickly complete tasks when asked.
Management in that location wasn't the strongest, but you could still bring up some concerns to the team leader.
My coworkers, were mostly younger men, and as a female it is difficult to find a place to work well in.
I don't think I was at the job long enough to find something to compare being hard to.
I enjoyed just working around cars, and being able to come home knowing I am working in a career that I really enjoy.
worst place to work of all the tire shops
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 19, 2015
it was by far the worst place I have ever been employed. they management system they have in place is ridiculous. six people on the front counter at once all thinking they are the manager it makes for a VERY stressful environment and the turnover rate is very high. run away as fast as you can.
Stay Away
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
Full of broken promises, long hours (usually unpaid) , and a learning system that is utterly broken.

They preach "family/work balance" and have no intentions on supporting that statement.
My raise was dependent on a series of records kept of my learning progress and right before I was about to get my first raise the manager "lost" the prior 6 months worth of records and told me it would have to be redone.

What a joke.
Decent place to work.
Microsoft Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Vernon, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good deal on tires. ;0)
Cons: not much in the way of career growth in my area.
Not a bad place to work. Good people, good culture. Wages are considerably lower than comparable jobs in other areas. The Senior Management is really good to deal with. They know most employees by name, and will talk with you like they have been friends o your family for years. I do a fair amount of after hours activities with various members of the team. It really is like a big family here.
Great work enviroment
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Calgary AbFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: awesome days at work
Cons: long hours during winter rush
Everyone is extremely plesent, any time you need help someone is there with the knowledge to help you. Ben the manager was a exceptional guy, never got mad at anything. the hardest part of the job was moving big truck tires, but the longer i stayed working there the easier it got until it wasn't a struggle anymore. the most enjoyable part of working there was the other employees, everyone worked amazing together and it made the job go by super fast.
terrible place of business
Sales And Service (Former Employee), Langford, BCFebruary 10, 2015
Manager of the store treated his lesser employees very poorly, as he cosidered them disposable it seemed. even though they really push the whole team members line there
Awesome Workplace
Cleaning Lady, Secretary (Former Employee), Kirkland Lake, OntarioFebruary 9, 2015
Worked afternoons cleaning their show room and the bosses office. I also answered the phone and answered emails. Usually worked till 5:30
Exceptional benefits, good work environment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: benefits/retirement plan
Cons: job security
Hours are good, co-workers are fantastic. Kal Tire has the ability to hire positive minded employees and provides outstanding benefits and additional employee assistance programs. The Kal Tire "life style" is a great work model when followed as set by corporate guidelines. I greatly enjoyed the attention to customer satisfaction and the overall attitude of every Kal Tire employee from entry level to management. However, I found the management system to be congested with too many people who are unclear of the responsibilities of an assistant store manager and behave as department managers. The store general manager can be difficult to get solid direction from and with the assistant management can cause some confusion with overall productivity. Over all I feel that it may be an issue that can be easily solved with more positive and direct coaching from both inside the location and some additional involvement from the corporate team may be in order. I sincerely hope everything works out well and gets better for the whole team.
In summary, Kal Tire is a fantastic employer and I greatly enjoyed my time with them and the only minor negative factors could easily be repaired.
fast paced, long hour days.
Tire Maintenance/Labourer (Former Employee), Kelowna, B.CJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: lots of overtime hours
Cons: long hours
Change tires over to winters, costumer service, flat repairs. Very long hours once worked a 17 hour shift this was probably the hardest part was being willing to stay for that long in a work day. co-workers were great was treated fairly. a lot to learn here if you've never done any labour before.
Decent Workplace
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Vernon, BCJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: discount on tires and rims
Cons: long hours, low pay
Interesting workplace. During the winter rush season when I worked, the hours were long and hard (4 days a week, scheduled for 10 hours a day, often going to 12 or 14 hours). The corporate culture could very easily compared to a cult, either you drink from the cool-aid or move on. In the end I was not a fan of the culture, the company does ask a lot from its employees, and I simply didn't feel like the way they did things.
dirty job but someone has to do it
Manager (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: vehicle and phone
Cons: stress, long hours
arrive to work setup calls and jobs for the day check on each section admin, front counter team, back shop, service truck techs.
deal with financials and collections for the day sort problems for team members giving best direction on completeing tasks. deal with customer service good or bad. consistently ensure team safety and fast paced production/ tasks plan up coming meetings, budgets, monthly plans and targeted sales goals
the team worked well any issues we delt with efficiently so customers do not suffer add fun into the business of the day to keep team motivated in extremely busy seasons
hardest part of the job was letting go knowing your next in line is stepping up to take on a task and will always make mistakes but making them understand why and how to fix for the right reason not just because that's what your told
most enjoyable part of the day is the busiest part I will often take an hour and go get dirty with my team so they know that no 1 job is above anyone in the store seeing the pride team members get when the boss comes back to get dirty and challenge to a friendly race to see who can finish the job fastest
management, which can be frustrating at times, is there to help give a decent picture of the overall goal of the business. Career paths are available for all to advance in the company.
Great workplace
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: long hours
A typical day insisted of giving the best customer service a possible!!
A productive and passionate work environment.
Sales and Service Hourly (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free employee tire storage, staff discounts on tires, wheels, and car parts.
Cons: long hours, initial exhaustion.
A friendly, productive and passionate work environment - I spent my days learning all about tires, from how to diagnose and repair or changeover, to tire rotations and wheel balances, to quality of different tire brands, to storage of inventory and customer-owned product.

The environment was fast-paced, fierce, passionate, and taught me a great deal about myself as well as about the automotive industry.
Family Oriented company
Tire Technician (Former Employee), OshawaJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: monthly bonuses, christmas party
Cons: cleaning up job site after other shifts before being able to start
Friendly atmosphere
management was fair to workers needs

Kal Tire is a great place to work.
There are many advancement opportunities within the company.
They offer monthly incentives
Great Company with Good Values
Sales and Service/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), AlbertaDecember 21, 2014
Only bad thing is if you are going through any of it's management programs expect to work a lot more then what you are being paid for. That being said great opportunity to advance within the company .
Fun place to work at.
Tire Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2014
Typical Day at work during winter/summer rush is from 8:30AM-8:30PM and when not during a rush 9AM-5PM. I have learned how to change tires, balance tires, perform mechanical inspections, oil changes.

1 2 3 4

About Kal Tire

Kal Tire is a wholly owned Canadian company based in Vernon, British Columbia, where it was originally founded in 1953 by Thomas – Read more