Kal Tire

Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Career Tracker / Management Trainee program is horrible AVOID AVOID AVOID
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  West Kelowna, BCAugust 3, 2015
As a Career Tracker I was on a $40k salary working 57-60 hours a week. It nearly costed me my relationship, I had no work/life balance and the worst part was- I had nothing to show for all my hard work. I was often used for cheap labour so the company wouldn't have to pay their employees overtime. I have a bachelors degree in business and 5 years prior management experience in the automotive industry but I was almost always put in the shop changing tires to save the company on labour. It felt like a giant scam towards the end.

Kal Tire is known for having a very high turn over rate and it is almost as though they like it that way- they don't have to give employees raises. To add to this, after the winter rush, almost all the employees get laid off for a few weeks or permanently.

The profit share is a joke. The company is continually expanding it's number of stores. Each store cuts into a nearby stores profit share.

They promise everyone that they will be in management one day making over $100,000 salary and some can do it in under a year. It's so far from the truth it's not even funny. Nearly everyone I went to Sales and Service training with one year ago has already quit because of the same reason I quit.

What really set me off was how my shifts did not start until 7:30am although I was required to be there every morning for the mandatory 7:00am sales meeting- this made it difficult to collect overtime. Besides this, I had to "volunteer" a half day of my own personal time UNPAID once a week. This is illegal.

Perhaps working for the Vernon office is better, but
  more... I DO NOT recommend working for this company. There are better companies out there that treat their employees much better, pay them better and with shorter hours. I worked service rigs and worked less hard than I did at Kal Tire. This is a last resort place to work when you literally can't find a decent job.

DON'T FALL FOR THE MANAGEMENT TRAINEE/CAREER TRACKER PITCH!!!

You will never be rich working for Kal Tire, don't let their pushy high pressure interview tactics let you believe otherwise.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the place
dirty job but someone has to do it
Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 15, 2015
arrive to work setup calls and jobs for the day check on each section admin, front counter team, back shop, service truck techs.
deal with financials and collections for the day sort problems for team members giving best direction on completeing tasks. deal with customer service good or bad. consistently ensure team safety and fast paced production/ tasks plan up coming meetings, budgets, monthly plans and targeted sales goals
the team worked well any issues we delt with efficiently so customers do not suffer add fun into the business of the day to keep team motivated in extremely busy seasons
hardest part of the job was letting go knowing your next in line is stepping up to take on a task and will always make mistakes but making them understand why and how to fix for the right reason not just because that's what your told
most enjoyable part of the day is the busiest part I will often take an hour and go get dirty with my team so they know that no 1 job is above anyone in the store seeing the pride team members get when the boss comes back to get dirty and challenge to a friendly race to see who can finish the job fastest
management, which can be frustrating at times, is there to help give a decent picture of the overall goal of the business. Career paths are available for all to advance in the company.
Pros
vehicle and phone
Cons
stress, long hours
Get ready to swallow your pride, dignity, and self respect
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  WinnipegApril 21, 2015
Kal Tire used to be a great organization to be apart of, and I suppose depending on who the Manager/Zone Manager is in your location, it probably can be. Otherwise prepare to work long hours 60+hrs/wk (usually forced on salaried employees). Prepare to be lied to, misled, over promised, under delivered, and taken advantage of. Be prepared to be thrown into positions and situations with little to no training but complete responsibility&accountability the second there's an issue. Never have a family, a life, any personal issues or consideration. Just do what is best for Kal Tire, the Kal Tire way, on Kal Tires schedule.....Kal Tire. If you happen to be one of those people who completely lack self respect, dignity, compassion, basic intelligence, common sense, or understanding of the human condition, and are willing to step over, on, or through anyone to get where you want to be, then this is the place for you.

Not the whole company but more than a few regions....if you live in the Saskatchewan area you're ok....don't waste your time in Manitoba though. The guy they have running the zone here now is just a complete #'s guy and doesn't care about people at all
Pros
$$ is ok....and almost always lots of OT due to their ridiculously high turnover
Cons
pretty much everything other than some of the people
over promised and under delivered...
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCApril 2, 2014
No matter whom you interview with or what position you interview for, your experience will be the same. “You’re going to be a store manager making upwards of $90,000/yr. inside of 2 years!” that’s the line everyone gets. What they don’t tell you is that they are hiring 20 of you in the area and in the end there may only be 2-3 openings. They say you don’t ever have to transfer to another location if you don’t want to. “You always have the final say” the truth is if you ever try to say no they tell you that if you say no now you may not be asked next time. Everything is run by intimidation.
In the end you’ll end up working 12-13 hours a day for around $50,000/yr. with no real future for growth. The culture the company has is amazing; they just don’t always live by it. They have these core values they call “Aims” and at the top of that list are customers then their people and then profit. Unfortunately the Sr. management team in the Vancouver area sees it as profit first and everything else can take a back seat.
Take my review for what it is. I’m an ex-employee (who quit, not fired) but my view is based on my experience. There are some very good people who care a lot working there. However there are the other kind of people there as well.
Fun work enviroment, Management sucks and the store policy is out of control
sales service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
As a team member you would expect to be treated fairly and equal but that's not the case, during winter rush you are expected to go over and above for the company working very long hours and and doing anything thing possible to go the extra mile, but whats happens is that you are belittled, shamed, guilted and bullied by so called team players (managers) so 20 days before Christmas comes and they pull me aside and tell me due to the nature of the buisness there is a slow down in work and I am being laid off, well explain that to my 2 small children that Christmas wont happen this year cause daddy is laid off!! after i have gone the extra mile to better the company by providing accurate and fast work. Makes me ill to my stomach the way I have been treated, do not reccomend working for these outfits if you expect any kind of fair treatment Shame on you kal tire. My review could have been far worse but I do have morals.
Pros
cant find any
Cons
Many listed
Exceptional benefits, good work environment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OnFebruary 3, 2015
Hours are good, co-workers are fantastic. Kal Tire has the ability to hire positive minded employees and provides outstanding benefits and additional employee assistance programs. The Kal Tire "life style" is a great work model when followed as set by corporate guidelines. I greatly enjoyed the attention to customer satisfaction and the overall attitude of every Kal Tire employee from entry level to management. However, I found the management system to be congested with too many people who are unclear of the responsibilities of an assistant store manager and behave as department managers. The store general manager can be difficult to get solid direction from and with the assistant management can cause some confusion with overall productivity. Over all I feel that it may be an issue that can be easily solved with more positive and direct coaching from both inside the location and some additional involvement from the corporate team may be in order. I sincerely hope everything works out well and gets better for the whole team.
In summary, Kal Tire is a fantastic employer and I greatly enjoyed my time with them and the only minor negative factors could easily be repaired.
Pros
benefits/retirement plan
Cons
job security
Horrible company to work for!
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Sooke Road, Victoria, BCAugust 23, 2014
Kal-Tire utilizes a revolving door policy! They hire staff and lay th off, without any plausible reasons, before they become eligible for benefits! Too many chiefs not enough Indians mentality! Absolutely no job security, what so ever!
In an eight our shift, employees are given only a 30 minutes lunch break with absolutely no other breaks!
The management have no respect for the staff with no regards for the lives of the staff!
Had I known this, I would have never accepted the job offer!
They hired me at the Sooke Road, Victoria location. Through the three weeks that I worked there, I was constantly praised for my work ethics and out standing Customer Service skills. After three weeks they told me that they could not afford to keep me and that they did not have the funds to hire me at the first place!
What company with any descesy or moral values, would hire a person, and then lay him off three weeks later, because they did not have the money to pay him?!!

Everyone beware of Kal-Tire!
Cons
untrustworthy management, horrible work environment, no job security, very low rate of pay, only 30 min luch break during an eight hour shift.
Great place to grow
Mechanical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, ABDecember 3, 2015
Kal Tire is a fun and fast paced work environment. Advancement essentially is up to you and how far you want to advance and how much you want to get paid.. It's called wage progression. People who post on here about low wages, were just plain lazy. Online learning followed by hands on. Show you can do it, and BAM a raise. Although I am on salary I am treated fairly and outside winter rush typically don't work more than 8 hours a day. And even after winter rush I am offered a couple days off with pay to compensate for the long hours.
Profit sharing is great. In less than two years I had almost $13,000 in RRSP and the same amount as a cash bonus. Benefits are great especially for someone with a family. The sky is the limit with Kal and I love working here.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Good Team, all training provided.
Cons
NONE
Was a very busy place, so the days went by quite fast. The staff we had was awesom.
Service Advisor/Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Hinton, ABOctober 17, 2012
Kal Tire helped me a lot with special training as in Safety. Fork \lift Instructor and Truck-mounted Boom Truck Instrutor. I was also a Shop Foreman/Sevice Writer. Every day was exciting, busy and most of all intrsting. Management treated me well. A lot of my co-workers were young high school boys and girls. I enjoyed teaching them all of the safety aspects of the job as well as instructing them on the proper way to do specific tasks. One part I did not enjoy was to have to let someone go, after 3 safety violations. It had to be done for thier safety as well as the safety of others.
Pros
good price on tires, great team and the hours.
Cons
trying to deal with customers that just wouldn't understand or try to. winter there could be brutal.
Loyal, rewarding and understanding culture with solid aims towards grand goals
Management Trainee, Fast Track Program (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BCMay 31, 2015
I arrived 20-30 minutes early because I wanted to; I felt a part of my mentor and his plan, for me, the store and the business.

The Computer - Based - Training was helpful but the hands-on experience was invaluable; teaching me a completely new skill set while balanced with practical and theory.

The day started by arriving early, team building, formal Management meeting(s), which were productive and not drawn out. CBT for an elected time by my mentor and then you hit the front shop for all service aspects and balance it with sales in the showroom.

Long but rewarding days were tough in the winter darkness but peak cycles happen with weather but the 50 / 50 profit sharing made every hour of learning the labour and every second of customer service worth my best effort.
Pros
50/50
Was a wonderful place to work in general .
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Sudbury onDecember 15, 2012
Begin day with circle check of equipment,& meet with usually one other driver,discuss all drops &possable pick ups for that days run.Do all deliverys &pick ups for the day,usally between 3to 5 stoars a day.Un fortunally learned the harder you worked & the more dedicated you were the less you were appreciated.Most management were exellent,only a couple that were ???????.Bc managment were super.Most all co-workers were great with the exception of ?.the hardest part of the job was meeting dead lines,usually due to weather,and long hours.also the poor markings on some tires for id purposes.the most enjoyable pare was meeting with the customers,& being able to see that the customer was happy with my service ,I was able to provide. To this day i still recommend k tire to several people .
Pros
equipment usually was well maintained, most repairs were completed asap.
Cons
hours of service usually in winter months were terrable.
hardworking, quick learner, honest and patient
tire service tech (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 9, 2014
Perform all necessary tire repairs, dismounts, and mounts of all tires at store location &field service calls.

· Drive haul truck, dozer, grader, forklift, zoom boom to the shop.

· Operate skid steer and bobcat for snow removal and tire and wheel assembly disposal

· Operate manipulator to install and remove tire

· De-energize all the equipment before any work is done

· Check in, code and tag all tire inventories.

· Help monitor the tire inventory.

· Maintain and secure the tire warehouse, as well as keep it neat and clean.

· Maintain all tire department equipment to keep in safe working order and report all problems and breakage to supervisor or management.

· responsible for starting and turning in all work-orders and tickets to supervisor ormanager.

· Report all accidents immediately to your supervisor or management.

· Able to interact effectively with co-workers.

· Able to understand and comply with posted rules and procedures.

· Able to accept constructive criticism
Terrible place to work in!
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCDecember 6, 2012
Two-days on/two-days off work shift where one is made to work as much as 50 hours a week yet receive no overtime pay. Oftentimes, I had to beg for my lunch break since the manager has an unofficial rule where you have to finish all work orders on the board before going on breaks. They do not believe in learning curves for new recruits. Management expects a new guy to be able to learn everything and not make mistakes in a week, otherwise get flak for it. The place reeks with cockiness and arrogant attitudes; the managers, mechanic and senior technicians make you feel like an idiot while teaching about shop operations.

Quite a sad experience having worked for a company that supposely cares for its employees' welfare as much as its customers.
Stressful, semi friendly.
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Leduc, ABNovember 14, 2013
The day would start off slow most of the time, and it would be alright for the first four morning workers, once the whole team shows up and begins working, it's fast paced, people get angry and frustrated quickly, and at the end of the day I'm angry because of the stress and co-workers. The management is good, but they don't understand what goes on in the shop when they aren't around. My co-workers irritate and get on my nerves by screaming orders for me to work faster and harder, while they stand around and talk. The hardest part of the job is not snapping under the pressure. The most enjoyable part is when it's slow, lunch break, and the beginning of the day.
Pros
free lunches on saturdays, and customers bring in donuts or treats occasionally for the workers.
Cons
very stressful, and an unorganized work environment.
Typical work place
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Bonnie Doon AlbertaMarch 20, 2015
A typical day, included changing tires and rims on vehicles, basic car inspections, oil changes.
I learned how to work with others to quickly complete tasks when asked.
Management in that location wasn't the strongest, but you could still bring up some concerns to the team leader.
My coworkers, were mostly younger men, and as a female it is difficult to find a place to work well in.
I don't think I was at the job long enough to find something to compare being hard to.
I enjoyed just working around cars, and being able to come home knowing I am working in a career that I really enjoy.
Pros
paid for meals for meetings
Cons
low salary, budget cuts
Not much of a team atmosphere, and when you ask for help they get frustrated and are always too busy. They just don't care about anyone but themselves
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 29, 2013
Management doesn't care about you. I learned if you don't want anything in life, you have to do it yourself, because Kal tire is not going to help you one bit. Some of the people were really fun to work with but there were some whose main goal was to bring you down and much as possible. Even if it meant making fun of you in front of a customer. They just don't respect you.
Pros
job experience in the automotive industry
Cons
poor management and manager likes to micro-manage, they don't like fixing any problems, hours were not good, hated every second there
Providing carriers with little to no experience
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 23, 2015
Very long work days when busy and really fast paste witch is normal for most places
Not much Learned had most of my experience prior.
Really good management team.
Most co-workers great to work with some I can do without.
Hardest part is dealing with upset customers and working on the heavy truck pad or service truck when the conditions are bad. Finding stock inventory can be frustrating when busy.(Product not being where they should)
Wage progressions are easy to do with online training
Non-paid staff meetings after hours.
Safety is the best I have seen in a work place.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
Low wages
Great, fast paced, fun work environment
Tire technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 19, 2013
Changing tires on light duty trucks and passenger vehicles, balancing wheels, fixing flat tires. I learned a lot about the structure and design of a tire and how much they can withstand. Management at Kal Tire is phenomenal. Very great group of guys who help each other out to get the job done quickly and safely. Hardest part of the job was putting on four heavy mud tires while having the customer waiting on his vehicle, watching you. The best part of the job was getting a job that took ten minutes to do because everyone pitched in to get it done.
Good job, great people, No Life and no advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hinton, ABNovember 27, 2014
I signed on for the Management trainee program recently in Hinton Alberta, With the thought that one day I may run my own store.
The store was dissorganized, run down, people didn't have the proper equipment, and management was as chaotic as the rest of the place. this program is available to almost anyone because of the high turnover. The chances of becoming a store manager is slim as managers don't quit. so likely be stuck in the place you were trained as an assistant for years.
Pros
great employees, good company as a whole
Cons
long hours, high expectations from management, no organization
Empty promises
Tire tech (Former Employee) –  Retread winnipeg mbDecember 25, 2015
If u have no back bone this place to be. Good luck Your expected to do long hours even once u explain u can't work weekends. Management lies and act like kids in a sand box. They act like safety is a big deal in meetings yet they practice so many dangerous activities.
Only good thing was the other fellows on shop floor
The lead hand and foreman had not much clue on lean manufacturing they would look at a bord
Very unprofessional place to work
Pros
Cons
Lots