Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Don't do it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 21, 2016
They expect too much and pay way too little. They will treat you like dirt and expect you to take it. Long hours during busy times. Unhappy atmosphere.
Cons
Everything.
hard work and steady pace
Retread technician (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONSeptember 21, 2016
it was an enjoyable job but unhealthy work environment, i learned alot about tires and a few things about engines, co workers were great, the hard part was stripping the chambers in a tight hot space full of dust and dirt, most enjoyable was working with co workers
Pros
good people
but terrible pay.
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCSeptember 12, 2016
Great benefits if you dont mind making minimum wage and managment that doesnt respect you. Push your limits, they make you all the things no one else wants to do. I would NEVER reccomend a job there.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, start at minimum wage
Very efficient and managed well
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2016
Kal Tire was my first place of work moving into Calgary, they knew I was in need of work very badly and they helped me out. It was only for a winter because they needed extra hands on deck, but it was a memorable team and experience.
The management was awesome, very helpful and training was superb; I still keep in touch with them today. When going in, I would get into gear and start bringing the cars in to get serviced. Most cars just needed new tires put on, but I did many oil changes, and much more.
The hardest part of this job was leaving, they wanted me to stay because they said I was a hard worker and did the job right. At that time though about 3 months in, I was starting to looking into getting started with sales. It was a job I'll never forget, most people hate waking up and going into work, but I looked forward to it.
Pros
Great culture and team
Cons
not as high of pay as I would have wanted
Good job I guess it wasn't for me
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABSeptember 6, 2016
My time at Kal-Tire was alright, a lot to take in when it came to training and learning the job, can be hecktic at times, but what job wasn't, The staff was fantastic.
Pros
Discount on products for staff and the chance to work or cars, trucks etcs.
Cons
Stressful when it gets really really busy.
a good work place
tire tech (Former Employee) –  edmontonSeptember 1, 2016
its vary demanding but if you like a challenging and a new experience this is the place for you its a fun and exciting work place to work at
Worst place to work for period!
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 30, 2016
I made another review about how bad this company was to work for and they had it removed. Well guess what I am giving them another bad review and if the remove this one I will make an new one and I will keep doing this to make sure nobody else goes through what I did.

The lie and use you and than screw you over when you need them most!
Cons
good
Sales and service technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABAugust 24, 2016
Benefits were great (pick your own package plan) but salary wise it was the worst paying job ever and probably one of the hardest jobs. not enough men to respond to a call was almost always stuck doing everything on my own when on call.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
salary sucked
Not a bad place
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 11, 2016
Not a bad place to work, wish there was more advancements. Hopefully they change things in the future for future staff. ddasdfasdfsdafasdfdsafasdfdsfasdf
Helping customers every day
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
I have learned in my time at Kal tire how to make sales and help customers find what they need and somtimes exceed there expectations
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor communication
fast paced/ pressured
Commerical Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
management lie to your face. Work way too many hours(50-60 hrs/week is common- especially in winter.

people step on each other to get ahead!

Yearly Profit share can be large if working at profitable location
Pros
great training
Cons
long hours- pay not equal
Never
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB and brooksJuly 23, 2016
This place treated both me and my spouse like garbage they use you as cheap labor they don't pay you overtime you have to sign a contract agreeing not to receive it. They will work you as much as they possibly can for a poor amount of pay for how dangerous the job is
Cons
We are co-workers and we are also a family.
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Since I work in here I have learned how to set myself into shop environment. I have learned how to be fast and accurate, and also how to solve problems with customers.

our management team was good as our brothers, we enjoy after we finish whole day and eating popsicle at the end of the day. everyday after changed we have about 10-15 minutes talk which includes variety of topics. I love working with the team.
Great company with excellent values and legitimate morals
Part Time Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2016
Kal Tire has many regulations and policies that establish the intent of being a company full of real people, not just sales staff. The company is very supportive of their employees, and enforce training and rules to keep everyone as safe as possible. The Waterloo location is run by many fantastic people who will go through great lengths to make sure that you are happy and safe while working.
Pros
Great staff, excellent and honest business practices
Front Shop Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 23, 2016
Working at Kal Tire I learned a lot about cars which I found very interesting. My boss and co workers were great. Very positive atmosphere.
good place
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 15, 2016
The staff is good. i love to work there.
The location is near.
The people working there are really helpfull.
Hardest part is time
enjoyable part is easy handling
Cons
long
Kal tire
TIRE TECHNICIAN, COMERCIAL TRUCK (Current Employee) –  kal tire north vancouverMay 13, 2016
I would not recommend kal tire as an employer to anyone, it is poorly managed, they emphasize safety but care only about profits.
Managed Poorly
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMay 2, 2016
I worked for Kal Tire for approximately 5 years. Over the course of the 5 years I saw management and the company as a whole take a nose dive.

The way the company treats its employees is probably the worst I have ever seen.

Each month the store will have a staff meeting, mid-week, after the work day. These meetings generally last from 6:00PM to 7:30 or 8:00 PM and attending employees are not paid for the time. The "incentive" to go is the company purchasing cheap meals for the attendees. Additionally, if the meeting happens to fall on an employee's day off, the company still expects the employee to attend and once more, will not pay the employee. If the employee does not attend they will often be taken into the manager's office where the manager will "advise" the employee that a third of their profit share can be taken away and mention layoffs.

Additional unpaid meetings consisted of one 15 minute meeting per week, fortunately employees that had the day off were not required to attend.

The company has a 50/50 and profit sharing program where store profit will be split amongst the company, good program, but at the cost of one evening per month. The company also offers decent medical and dental coverage.

Higher management also decided they no longer wanted their employees to have any facial hair (including neatly trimmed). Store management then required all employees to shave any facial hair they may have initially been hired with.

The company has far too many managers and treats the employees that actually bring in money as if they are expendable. General employees
  more... or "team members" come and go frequently, as the company promises frequent raises, makes the employee jump through hoops for said raises and fails to deliver in the end.

Often employees are required to do a job meant for two and often have to work 10 hours shifts (8 hours regual, 2 overtime) with no meal break. Also, the overtime is considered "mandatory" so it is best not to make plans after your scheduled work day, as management will only allow you to leave at their discretion.

In conclusion, Kal Tire is a "job", not a "career" and is only meant for temporary employment while moving on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Free dinner once per month, Profit Sharing & 50/50, benefits
Cons
Unpaid meetings, "mandatory" overtime, no respect between management and employees, over promising and under delivering.
repetivive
Tire Repairer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2016
Repetitive, dirty atmosphere, lack of stimulation. Fixing tires, patching meeting quotas for production were a challenge. Inconsistent expectations made a difficult at times.
Pros
reliable work
Cons
did not enjoy the moral
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union

2.7