Kal Tire Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to grow
Mechanical Service Manager (Current Employee), Clairmont, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: Profit Sharing, Good Team, all training provided.
Cons: NONE
Kal Tire is a fun and fast paced work environment. Advancement essentially is up to you and how far you want to advance and how much you want to get paid.. It's called wage progression. People who post on here about low wages, were just plain lazy. Online learning followed by hands on. Show you can do it, and BAM a raise. Although I am on salary I am treated fairly and outside winter rush typically don't work more than 8 hours a day. And even after winter rush I am offered a couple days off with pay to compensate for the long hours.
Profit sharing is great. In less than two years I had almost $13,000 in RRSP and the same amount as a cash bonus. Benefits are great especially for someone with a family. The sky is the limit with Kal and I love working here.
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Lots of training and advancement.
Cons: Long hours during busy season
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Pay, Hours, False Promise
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
good place to work
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCDecember 31, 2015
Pros: good management
Cons: seasonal
-Good working environment
-management treats you like family
-work load is physical but easy
-lots of room for advancement
-lots of benefits
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
Pros: experience, maintaining a full time job
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Empty promises
Tire tech (Former Employee), Retread winnipeg mbDecember 25, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Lots
If u have no back bone this place to be. Good luck Your expected to do long hours even once u explain u can't work weekends. Management lies and act like kids in a sand box. They act like safety is a big deal in meetings yet they practice so many dangerous activities.
Only good thing was the other fellows on shop floor
The lead hand and foreman had not much clue on lean manufacturing they would look at a bord
Very unprofessional place to work
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons: Shocking culture
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Fun Place to work,
Certified Outside Sales (Current Employee), CalgaryAugust 10, 2015
Pros: great people, large family owned company
Cons: salary is low, but can be made up with higher commissions.
Fun place to work with lots to learn and some room for advancement. learned to help customers save time and money by listening and proposing solutions to their problems. Team Members are great.
Fun work enviroment, Management sucks and the store policy is out of control
sales service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
Pros: cant find any
Cons: Many listed
As a team member you would expect to be treated fairly and equal but that's not the case, during winter rush you are expected to go over and above for the company working very long hours and and doing anything thing possible to go the extra mile, but whats happens is that you are belittled, shamed, guilted and bullied by so called team players (managers) so 20 days before Christmas comes and they pull me aside and tell me due to the nature of the buisness there is a slow down in work and I am being laid off, well explain that to my 2 small children that Christmas wont happen this year cause daddy is laid off!! after i have gone the extra mile to better the company by providing accurate and fast work. Makes me ill to my stomach the way I have been treated, do not reccomend working for these outfits if you expect any kind of fair treatment Shame on you kal tire. My review could have been far worse but I do have morals.
great place to work
Commercial B2B Outside Sales (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Pros: profit share
Cons: long hours
great opportunity, awesome company. Family owned, huge earning potential for people willing to work hard. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to start from the ground up. Autonomy is earned
productive, lots of freedom
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Slave Lake, ABFebruary 10, 2016
Pros: free lunch, overtime well confensated
steady work
fair management
easy advancement
rewarding
mediocur pay
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
Pros: litterally nothing
Cons: long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Fast paced, hard work, Great environment
Sales and service technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: Great environment, room for advancement, Fun work.
A typical day would be Greeting customers, providing thorough inspection of breaks rotors and wheel well's of vehicles reporting my findings on an inspection sheet, communicating with customer of possible work that needs to be done or considered, changing, rotating tires, or installing new tires. workplace safety and training for advancement,
I learned a lot from this job. working in a fast paced team based environment, planning and co-ordination between team members, working with a deadline and a goal, keep safety a big priority, better customer service, and how to work under pressure,
Management was great, personable, friendly, reassuring and rewarding. Made everyone feel like a team member and welcome to the team, very understanding.
My co-workers were all hard working friendly individuals who i enjoyed working with a lot, made every day easy and fun, there was a proper understanding that to much chit-chat makes your work ethic suffer, good productivity, provided an upbeat atmosphere that made working there very enjoyable.
There were many hard parts to this job, but none that were stressful or easy to overcome with proper training and time management. The only part that was difficult was working on big diesel trucks with dual axle's in the back.
This job was all around enjoyable
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros: Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons: Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Typical work place
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Bonnie Doon AlbertaMarch 20, 2015
Pros: paid for meals for meetings
Cons: low salary, budget cuts
A typical day, included changing tires and rims on vehicles, basic car inspections, oil changes.
I learned how to work with others to quickly complete tasks when asked.
Management in that location wasn't the strongest, but you could still bring up some concerns to the team leader.
My coworkers, were mostly younger men, and as a female it is difficult to find a place to work well in.
I don't think I was at the job long enough to find something to compare being hard to.
I enjoyed just working around cars, and being able to come home knowing I am working in a career that I really enjoy.
Providing carriers with little to no experience
Sales and Service (Current Employee), Regina, SKNovember 23, 2015
Pros: profit sharing
Cons: Low wages
Very long work days when busy and really fast paste witch is normal for most places
Not much Learned had most of my experience prior.
Really good management team.
Most co-workers great to work with some I can do without.
Hardest part is dealing with upset customers and working on the heavy truck pad or service truck when the conditions are bad. Finding stock inventory can be frustrating when busy.(Product not being where they should)
Wage progressions are easy to do with online training
Non-paid staff meetings after hours.
Safety is the best I have seen in a work place.
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Great crew (besides management)
Cons: The way employees are treated.
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
great place, but over worked
Tire Technician (Former Employee), Winnipeg City, MBJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: the people online worked great
Cons: kept us on for long hours
the job was great but they didnt uphold there end, was told i was gonna be a service truck driver, but they laid me off the month i was suppose to start my training. and they laid me off a few weeks before Xmas. thanks kal tire
Determined, motivated and grateful with my job.
Automotive Technician-Apprentice (Former Employee), Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I did so many things in this place like tires, mounting and balanced repairs of all kinds of tires,and I started my apprentice like oil service, inspection, changed brakes, suspension components and alignment. Diagnosed engine and tune- up. I did a brake,transmission,coolant flush. Diagnosed and repaired vehicle vibration,electrical problems and squeaking sound. Clean the shop and tools, received and organized tires and auto parts. Maintained service vehicles.
Career Tracker / Management Trainee program is horrible AVOID AVOID AVOID
Management Trainee (Former Employee), West Kelowna, BCAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything about the place
As a Career Tracker I was on a $40k salary working 57-60 hours a week. It nearly costed me my relationship, I had no work/life balance and the worst part was- I had nothing to show for all my hard work. I was often used for cheap labour so the company wouldn't have to pay their employees overtime. I have a bachelors degree in business and 5 years prior management experience in the automotive industry but I was almost always put in the shop changing tires to save the company on labour. It felt like a giant scam towards the end.

Kal Tire is known for having a very high turn over rate and it is almost as though they like it that way- they don't have to give employees raises. To add to this, after the winter rush, almost all the employees get laid off for a few weeks or permanently.

The profit share is a joke. The company is continually expanding it's number of stores. Each store cuts into a nearby stores profit share.

They promise everyone that they will be in management one day making over $100,000 salary and some can do it in under a year. It's so far from the truth it's not even funny. Nearly everyone I went to Sales and Service training with one year ago has already quit because of the same reason I quit.

What really set me off was how my shifts did not start until 7:30am although I was required to be there every morning for the mandatory 7:00am sales meeting- this made it difficult to collect overtime. Besides this, I had to "volunteer" a half day of my own personal time UNPAID once a week. This is illegal.

Perhaps working for the Vernon office is better, but – more... I DO NOT recommend working for this company. There are better companies out there that treat their employees much better, pay them better and with shorter hours. I worked service rigs and worked less hard than I did at Kal Tire. This is a last resort place to work when you literally can't find a decent job.

DON'T FALL FOR THE MANAGEMENT TRAINEE/CAREER TRACKER PITCH!!!

You will never be rich working for Kal Tire, don't let their pushy high pressure interview tactics let you believe otherwise. – less