Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Exhausting and Overwhelming
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 September 2017
Stressful job with stressful people. Always expect the world of the admin, the shop is a disgrace, and customer service has gone downhill. Could be a great shop to work for if there are changes made within the team. The ideals of Kal Tire are fantastic but most are not being followed. Negative atmosphere most of the time, with people throwing others under the bus and always complaining about changes that need to be made but never act on them.
If the shop had better direction, this would be a fantastic place to work. This shop also needs more than one admin - the workload is too much for one person to bear and still keep their sanity.
Lack of training - they throw you to your own accord on how to figure things out, and you get maybe a week of training to learn your job in the first place. Stressful isn't even the word to begin to explain this role.
The team does highly respect this position though, and it's a good team to work for and with most of the time.
Pros
Lunches and coffee sometimes rewarded to team
Cons
Stressful, demanding, extremely high workload, poor management, unfair atmosphere
A great place to work
Fleet Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2017
Working with the public and taking care of our Fleet customers is the main concern, the people at Kal Tire are very friendly and makes for a pleasant workplace environment
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
salary is entry level at best
The work was hard, The pay wasn't bad, and the workers were fun
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 August 2017
Usually a typical day was 10-12 hours. I learned that not everyone is willing to work as hard as me. The hardest part of the job was working long hours 6 days a week, and not having a social life. The most enjoyable part was the other workers were always fun to be around.
Pros
Workers were fun, work was always there to do
Cons
Long hours, constant change of personnel, and cliquey
day
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
The day staerts off by going upstairs to your locker changing into your work clothes, if there are any open work orders we complete them until the next job comes in
Not much care about hoist safety or tool etiquette
Lube and Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB18 August 2017
Only one or two people i could tolerate working with, proper care wasnt taken while using the hoists or tools provided. It was back breaking work for a very small wage. When i was hired i had a beard and a piercing, after i was hired and quit my other job i was told i had to shave and the piercing had to be removed, none of which was mentioned in the interview. Also after i quit my other job i was told i would have to go to bc for two weeks of training which again should have been told during the interview and wasnt. None of the tools needed for the job worked properly, the tire machines, the impact guns, torque wrenches etc. The shop was extremely outdated and no updates were ever done making the job mlre difficult.
Pros
Free trip to bc
Cons
Pretty much everything.
If you need a temporary job go for it
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary13 August 2017
Overall working at kaltire (630 )in the beginning is great however it changes very quick out of any place I have worked at the management teams are very crooked some used to be a union they turned away from that obviously because they don't like having to keep employees your a number not a asset to the team. If you expect to learn a thing or two great place to start but the main manager will laugh at you behind your back and make fun of you. Then when rush season ends they let everyone go (the main manager may ask you who he should let go first) for better business bureau laws being followed they do not care about them.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
They do not follow workers laws
My experience at Kal Tire #865
Technician (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 July 2017
Working at Kal Tire taught me a lot. I learn something new everyday and its a great experience. The labour is tough and its hard in the summer time since its very warm weather. Nonetheless, my coworkers and I always keep each other company, help out one another and we are all good friends. Most customers that come in to the shop are very kind and patient so I don't feel rushed or under pressure. I always strive to finish my work on time to quickly go onto the next task and set a goal to finish as much as I can during my shift. This is a great place to work at for people that enjoy cars and working on cars as much as I do!
Pros
Free food and working on exotic and nice cars !
Cons
too hot in the garage
poor
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2017
mom says if you can't anything good don't say anything. The fellow team members for the most part were great to work with. Management would say and do anything to get you on board but as soon as you were hired it was the company way or leave basically.
Worst in Chilliwack
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 July 2017
High turn over of staff, enough is never enough not is going above and beyond.

Management constantly pushing for more overtime and less time at home with your family but refuse to adequately staff all shifts to eliminated overtime daily and on weekends.

Egos run rampant in the Chilliwack warehouse and often get in the way of coaching and mentoring employees.

I'm seeking new employment, as are 3 others because of the reasons above and other sub standard work conditions.

Run away, tell your friends.
Pros
Profit sharing after 6 months
Cons
Long hours, low pay, huge expectations with no accountability.
Did not work here long enough
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Crossfield, AB20 July 2017
Did not work here long enough to give a complete review as it was only 3 months. So since I have to write a min of 150 characters I will do just that.
great company to work for
Tire Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 July 2017
plenty of opportunity for advancement within company. encourages training to advance career. Great management and decent pay hard physical work but very rewarding
easy going work place
Coop (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 July 2017
Provided a great learning opportunity for my co-op. People were friendly, taught me a lot and oriented me to this company. I would recommend this as a placement.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Cons
Didn't last long enough
It was a fun work place
Car Technician (Former Employee) –  4410 Albert . st30 June 2017
I enjoyed working there, working on cars etc. The people there were supper nice and easy tot talk to. I enjoyed interacting with customers and coworkers.
Pros
free food and coffee
Cons
pay wasn't worth the hard work
Work was fun
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB22 June 2017
Work was good, but the hours were high and for the longest time I was the only guy who was working the overnight calls which gets annoying when literally everyone else is paid the same or more to do the same!
Pros
Free food
Cons
ALways working
good place to work
Mechanic, Welder Fabricator, First Aid Attendant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC15 June 2017
good place to work at where I was everyone was very easy to work with as a team it was always a clean and safe environment to work in had good extended health benefits for the family.
Pros
great prices on tires for my vehicle
Cons
long days with the drive to and from work
not for every one
Retreader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2017
Its a tough job very heavy lifting required must be able to lift semi truck tires. but they give you a uniform that is laundered so you dont get your clothes destroyed
Pros
good people
Cons
heavy lifting
good place to work and lots of opportunity to advance
Lead service truck/picker truck operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2017
not a bad place to work. it is a hard physical job but the company has great benefits and profit sharing incentives. lots of opportunity to advance in the company.
Pros
benefits profit sharing
Cons
extremely physical. lots of repetitive motion and heavy lifting
Great place to work, Long hours, OK management.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 June 2017
Kal tire is a great place to work, it has long hours in the winter and short in the summer. Management isn't at it's best but still OK. Great opportunities to move up quickly.
Pros
Good crew
Some good people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2017
Good until you advance to quickly. You end up on your own quite a lot with little training in some areas. Management leaves little to be desired with the long hours. But the pay is good.
Pros
50/50 profit share
Cons
extreme long hours in winter
Gained a lot of experience
Manager | Alberta (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB25 May 2017
Have a very good management training system set up for their people. Made it easier for me to start my own tire shop. There were opportunities to advance which required me to transfer to other locations around Alberta. Salary was low but bonuses in profitable stores were good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kal Tire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8