Kal Tire Employee Reviews in Canada

Great company with excellent values and legitimate morals
Part Time Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 28, 2016
Kal Tire has many regulations and policies that establish the intent of being a company full of real people, not just sales staff. The company is very supportive of their employees, and enforce training and rules to keep everyone as safe as possible. The Waterloo location is run by many fantastic people who will go through great lengths to make sure that you are happy and safe while working.
Pros
Great staff, excellent and honest business practices
would not reccomend this job to anyone
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 10, 2016
same repetitive tasks daily. constantly being pushed to do the work of 2 people by yourself. they will promise wage increases and advancement but when you ask when it will be set in motion they will have an excuse and will put it off. I have worked there for 6 months. In my interview they promised a wage increase to 18 an hour within 3 months, never happened. promised a mechanical apprenticeship, never happened. work schedules change very often, once you get used to your new schedule they change it. they have no means to make sure you are stable financially or physically after long hard hours. they just want money. Overall experience was bad. would never work for a kal tire again.
Pros
litterally nothing
Cons
long hours, bad pay, treated badly by employers
Productive and fun workplace in the tire industry
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be changing and rotating tire, repairing tires, and changing over tires. The management there is very helpful, knowledgeable and accommadating. There are multiple training courses available and different avenues that you can go down once all your core training is done. the co-workers are great, helpful and very out going. the hardest part of the job is trying to find that perfect rhythm during the busy season. There are so many things that can interrupt that rhythm. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing your vehicle in a timely manner and getting the customers out as soon as possible.
Pros
Lots of training and advancement.
Cons
Long hours during busy season
Determined, motivated and grateful with my job.
Automotive Technician-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 1, 2016
I did so many things in this place like tires, mounting and balanced repairs of all kinds of tires,and I started my apprentice like oil service, inspection, changed brakes, suspension components and alignment. Diagnosed engine and tune- up. I did a brake,transmission,coolant flush. Diagnosed and repaired vehicle vibration,electrical problems and squeaking sound. Clean the shop and tools, received and organized tires and auto parts. Maintained service vehicles.
Horrible way of doing things, full of empty promise
Shop Foreman II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
The way the pay works with "wage progression" is a waist of time and just a lie. Management does not know what to do during a slow time making it an even harder place to work. Long hours with no OT. If you're looking to have a career and not just a job. You can do much better then this place.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Hours, False Promise
Don't drink the Koolaid
Just a number who didn't drink the Koolaid (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 28, 2016
Run from this company. Family owned and they are a collection of "old boys" from the past. The company has no idea what needs to be done moving forward.....! We all know what "doing the the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result" is?.... Insanity.
The system is broken, their model is flawed and worst of all, their "culture", IS POISENED!
If you don't drink the Koolaid? You're gone....
And because of this, they're losing good people every day.
Pros
Most teams fun to work with, except management
Cons
Shocking culture
Kal tire
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2016
My time working at kal tire was a roller coaster, there was alot of good times and alot of bad times. The management was not concerned about the co workers but only about his well being. The most enjoyable part of the job was working long hours and working around a great group of co workers
Pros
experience, maintaining a full time job
Looks can be deceiving.
Sales Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2016
They try to lie and sugar coat the fact that they are so much different than any other hole in the wall shop when in reality they aren't. Very poorly managed. No communication. Lack of respect for employees. Flawed pay structure. They like to create illusions of how good it is to keep you there, but from the outside looking in.....GOOD RIDDANCE!
Pros
Great crew (besides management)
Cons
The way employees are treated.
great people, upbeat work environment
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCDecember 28, 2015
in the busy seasons (late fall and spring) the shop is busy from the second we open until we finish the last vehicle. you are constantly on the move and needing to work quick and effectively. these times of the year are very rewarding.
Once January rolls around you're going to be left standing around with your thumb up your bum.
all of the team members are great to work with and working with these people is probably the best part of the job.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
mediocre pay
Empty promises
Tire tech (Former Employee) –  Retread winnipeg mbDecember 25, 2015
If u have no back bone this place to be. Good luck Your expected to do long hours even once u explain u can't work weekends. Management lies and act like kids in a sand box. They act like safety is a big deal in meetings yet they practice so many dangerous activities.
Only good thing was the other fellows on shop floor
The lead hand and foreman had not much clue on lean manufacturing they would look at a bord
Very unprofessional place to work
Pros
Cons
Lots
A strong and capable company that thoroughly rewards hard work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Kal Tire has treated me very well in the time I've been with them. I'm currently receiving top rate, which I earned through their learning management system which allows employees to complete job training and earn wage increases on their own time and volition. When I first started there were some serious managerial issues in our facility, but the problem managers were eventually sacked and replaced with a very competent and respectable team of leaders. My job was typically at least 50% touch manual labour on a good day; it was hard work that was made up for by ample compensation. Overall Kal Tire is a solid employer, though not overly progressive in some of their company policies; they're staunchly anti-union and have some outdated workplaces ideals (we weren't allowed to grow facial hair for aesthetic reasons until this year).
Pros
Good compensation and benefits, good opportunities for advancement
Cons
Tough work, occasional long hours, no union
Productive and Fun workplace
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 22, 2015
Typical day at work was 4 hours of work followed by a half hour lunch break and then finished off with another 4 hours of work.

My co-workers were great group of people they were always friendly from the day i started till the day i left.

The hardest part of the job was doing the commercial vehicles, such as semi's and dumptrucks.
Pros
Discount on tires
Cons
Service Advisers were not organized
repetivive
Tire Repairer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2016
Repetitive, dirty atmosphere, lack of stimulation. Fixing tires, patching meeting quotas for production were a challenge. Inconsistent expectations made a difficult at times.
Pros
reliable work
Cons
did not enjoy the moral
Providing carriers with little to no experience
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 23, 2015
Very long work days when busy and really fast paste witch is normal for most places
Not much Learned had most of my experience prior.
Really good management team.
Most co-workers great to work with some I can do without.
Hardest part is dealing with upset customers and working on the heavy truck pad or service truck when the conditions are bad. Finding stock inventory can be frustrating when busy.(Product not being where they should)
Wage progressions are easy to do with online training
Non-paid staff meetings after hours.
Safety is the best I have seen in a work place.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
Low wages
Great place to grow
Mechanical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, ABDecember 3, 2015
Kal Tire is a fun and fast paced work environment. Advancement essentially is up to you and how far you want to advance and how much you want to get paid.. It's called wage progression. People who post on here about low wages, were just plain lazy. Online learning followed by hands on. Show you can do it, and BAM a raise. Although I am on salary I am treated fairly and outside winter rush typically don't work more than 8 hours a day. And even after winter rush I am offered a couple days off with pay to compensate for the long hours.
Profit sharing is great. In less than two years I had almost $13,000 in RRSP and the same amount as a cash bonus. Benefits are great especially for someone with a family. The sky is the limit with Kal and I love working here.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Good Team, all training provided.
Cons
NONE
great place to work
Commercial B2B Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
great opportunity, awesome company. Family owned, huge earning potential for people willing to work hard. Great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to start from the ground up. Autonomy is earned
Pros
profit share
Cons
great place, but over worked
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MBJanuary 5, 2016
the job was great but they didnt uphold there end, was told i was gonna be a service truck driver, but they laid me off the month i was suppose to start my training. and they laid me off a few weeks before Xmas. thanks kal tire
Pros
the people online worked great
Cons
kept us on for long hours
good place
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 15, 2016
The staff is good. i love to work there.
The location is near.
The people working there are really helpfull.
Hardest part is time
enjoyable part is easy handling
Cons
long
productive, lots of freedom
fair management
easy advancement
rewarding
mediocur pay
Pros
free lunch, overtime well confensated
Kal tire
TIRE TECHNICIAN, COMERCIAL TRUCK (Current Employee) –  kal tire north vancouverMay 13, 2016
I would not recommend kal tire as an employer to anyone, it is poorly managed, they emphasize safety but care only about profits.