Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Productive fun workplace.
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB13 December 2017
I worked at Kaltire 608, Awesome bunch of people to work with. Enjoyed going to work everday, Was a fun work environment, closing shift was always good. Lots of overtime, which was awesome.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Not very flexiable with hours for my Dental & Schooling.
The absolute worst place i have ever worked
Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 December 2017
they talk up a big career path, but newsflash.. if you aren't perfect, or liked by everyone, you will be let go for no reason, absolutely horrible, I will never ever step foot into another kal tire in my life.
Pros
nope
Cons
everything
tire changer
Tire/lube technician, service calls (Former Employee) –  Nelson, BC26 November 2017
great work environment learn sales and laborers great people to work with,hours are good, work is good, how to do job as safe as possible,able to work with others on jobs
Amazing place to work
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 November 2017
There is not much room for advancement for Office Administrators. But the company is great to work for, good benefits, great deals if you need any work done on your car. Co-workers are great people, and the management team is great to. Learn lots about vehicles, and can see some pretty cool stuff. Monthly meetings suck at 7pm at night, but the food ordered to eat was always good.
Pros
Co-workers, great balance of life
Cons
Pay
Productive and educational place for automotive proficiency
Tire Technician (Sales and Services Hourly) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2017
It is a very fast paced environment at Kal Tire Foothills Branch, and there is so much to learn and opportunities. Most of the day consists of dismounting, mounting and balancing tires for passenger vehicles. The workplace environment is pretty easy going and the learning curve is not that high as they do their best to train you for the job. The management however could use some work especially if you are at the Foothills branch. The senior manager there does not comprehend the idea of part time work. I currently work here while going to university, but the work/life balance here is non-existent. They call you in to work on days you have requested off for school. They do not sign off on holidays requested months before, and when management signs it they consider it as a bargaining chip. The senior manager has also threatened our job security if we cannot work on our days off. Kal Tire is overall an enjoyable place to work due to the other workers and the learning opportunities. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the managers.
Pros
Learning Experiences
Don’t bother
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON5 November 2017
Don’t waste your time, all you will hear is do your lmsto get a raise but the raises never come .. management is awful.. it’s a lot like high school everybody talks about everyone
Pros
Cons
No future
Worst place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  British Columbia29 October 2017
Hostile environment, unsafe hours worked, forced overtime, managers refuse to sign off on training because it cuts into their profit if they give employees a raise.

Bullying and harassment are rampant in the workplace and it is usually the managers doing it because they can get away with it as they are not held accountable for their actions (unless it cuts into the profits of the company).

On paper the company values are strong but in practice it is all about money $$$ and how they can weasel people into performing unnecessary work on their vehicle.

Managers abuse team members and make sure everyone knows they are replaceable. Upper management is a joke as well as they never do what they are supposed to. Never hold their managers accountable for things they do.

No lunch breaks during busy season and managers do not give the option of staying late or going home on time, they overbook every day and then yell at you for not being done 16 hours worth of work in 10 hours. This directly leads to overtired employee's working on customer vehicles which is unsafe and how mistakes happen.

Putting profit above their customers and employees safety that is the Kaltire way!!
Pros
Discounts on wheels and tires.
Cons
No lunches, unpaid meetings, forced overtime, no safety procedure with regards to overtime and service calls
Wouldnt recommend workinv there
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 October 2017
Wouldn't recommend work because no matter what you do it'll never be good enough. Lots of judgement and the manger at the retread plant lies and tries to manipulate until the point of a breakdown. Lots of slackers and trys to put blame on the ones that actually work hard in the building.
Pros
Encentive
Cons
Coworkers, rely on others to pick up there work for them as they are comfortable, and liise money because the manager refuses to fux the problems on the floor
bust your back to make your manager rich while they jerk you around
Sales & Service technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 October 2017
was "laid off" 3 days before the yearly bonus so the manager didn't have to give me my portion, si yeah pretty sour about that. made great relations with co workers in shop and at every shop ive worked at its always the same its front counter guys vs shop guys its stupid
Pros
good benefits and yearly bonus
Cons
they fck you out of your yearly bonus you worked hard for
Productive work environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 October 2017
Working with Kal Tire was a great work environment. It was fun environment while being productive on all our tasks, making you enjoy your time there. Management was always fair and understanding. My favorite part about the job was the amazing co-workers I had creating the atmosphere of the job. I learned so much with this job, how to be a great team player as well as working independently, I was able to gain the experience of driving fork lift, loading and unloading products. It was an amazing experience.
good place
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC4 October 2017
was a great place to learn how to work on tires, and other car related things. room for advancement was dependant on the person who wanted to advance.
Pros
good wage
Cons
really only busy at change over seasons
Busy and fast pace work good team members to work with and learned a lot
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC3 October 2017
Working at kal tire was a good experience especially starting out as a part time worker going on to full time. Fast pace work in the fall and spring months as people are swapping over tires. I learned how to be efficient at a group helping my team out when I could. Management was helpful with teaching me everything I needed to know to do my job effectively and safely
Pros
learning new things, good benifit program along with a free lunch on weekend shifts and dinner on late shifts
Cons
Long hours and late nights
Horrible management. Poor advancment structure. Horrible pay
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON30 September 2017
Horrible pay. Winter and spring rush you work like crazy for nothing. My store had no advancement structure. Management was a joke. Money hungry idiots who couldn't wheel a tire down a hill if they knew it was good for them. Kal tire looks good on paper but sucks the happiness out of your soul. No pension and a rrsp program that looks good until you are 65 and still doing tires.
Pros
You can fix your own tires
Cons
Way too cliquey and unprofessional
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  British Columbia25 September 2017
Had someone with the same level of qualifications get in my face and start yelling at me at the front counter, where customers come in and is very open, for trying to inquire if we had the tires we needed to get a job done, he thought it was a better use of time to have 6-7 guys sweeping up instead. But, he was in the clique so when layoffs came I got let go and they kept him. A few months later he learns how to do commercial tires and tries telling a guy with 5 years and significantly more experience in the same company how to do their job, this is the kind of thing to expect from this company. Unprofessional, cliquey, poorly run, treats most employees as disposable, and tries to underpayment you to do things you've been signed off for. Only reason I'd recommend a job with this company is to get training to work somewhere else.
Pros
Sometimes get food provided after long hours
Cons
Bad management, poor work ethic, unprofessional environment
Exhausting and Overwhelming
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 September 2017
Stressful job with stressful people. Always expect the world of the admin, the shop is a disgrace, and customer service has gone downhill. Could be a great shop to work for if there are changes made within the team. The ideals of Kal Tire are fantastic but most are not being followed. Negative atmosphere most of the time, with people throwing others under the bus and always complaining about changes that need to be made but never act on them.
If the shop had better direction, this would be a fantastic place to work. This shop also needs more than one admin - the workload is too much for one person to bear and still keep their sanity.
Lack of training - they throw you to your own accord on how to figure things out, and you get maybe a week of training to learn your job in the first place. Stressful isn't even the word to begin to explain this role.
The team does highly respect this position though, and it's a good team to work for and with most of the time.
Pros
Lunches and coffee sometimes rewarded to team
Cons
Stressful, demanding, extremely high workload, poor management, unfair atmosphere
A great place to work
Fleet Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2017
Working with the public and taking care of our Fleet customers is the main concern, the people at Kal Tire are very friendly and makes for a pleasant workplace environment
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
salary is entry level at best
Be a workaholic
Tire Technician/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 September 2017
If you're not willing to happily and with a smile put in 12+ hours, they will sneer at you. The wages are better than most in the industry but the better the wage gets, the more likely you're a candidate for the chopping block when summer rolls around and money gets tight(managers are quite attached to their profit share)
The work was hard, The pay wasn't bad, and the workers were fun
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 August 2017
Usually a typical day was 10-12 hours. I learned that not everyone is willing to work as hard as me. The hardest part of the job was working long hours 6 days a week, and not having a social life. The most enjoyable part was the other workers were always fun to be around.
Pros
Workers were fun, work was always there to do
Cons
Long hours, constant change of personnel, and cliquey
day
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
The day staerts off by going upstairs to your locker changing into your work clothes, if there are any open work orders we complete them until the next job comes in
Not much care about hoist safety or tool etiquette
Lube and Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooks, AB18 August 2017
Only one or two people i could tolerate working with, proper care wasnt taken while using the hoists or tools provided. It was back breaking work for a very small wage. When i was hired i had a beard and a piercing, after i was hired and quit my other job i was told i had to shave and the piercing had to be removed, none of which was mentioned in the interview. Also after i quit my other job i was told i would have to go to bc for two weeks of training which again should have been told during the interview and wasnt. None of the tools needed for the job worked properly, the tire machines, the impact guns, torque wrenches etc. The shop was extremely outdated and no updates were ever done making the job mlre difficult.
Pros
Free trip to bc
Cons
Pretty much everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kal Tire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8