Major Gifts Officer
Chief Executive Officer
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for major gift activities for all Foundation programs.
The incumbent is expected to develop and work independently with an extensive portfolio of prospects and donors.
Responsibilities include prospect management, development and implementation of cultivation, solicitation and donor stewardship strategies.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills
- Able to work to deadline
- Detail orientation
- Problem solving
- Results focused
- Accountability and dependability
- Independent and self-motivated
- Achievement oriented
- Create and implement an annual budget for all program needs.
- Ensure all financial management of program purchases and assets are managed consistent with Foundation policy.
- Work with senior Volunteers as required to plan and manage prospect identification, solicitations and stewardship activities.
- Liaise with Foundation staff and volunteers to ensure consistent and coherent donor relations are paramount.
- Work in partnership with Foundation staff to establish and seek support for high priority initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of 100 prospects/donors capable of making gifts of $10,000 and above.
- Arrange and conduct face-to-face meetings with donors and prospects making full and effective use of the expertise and experience of senior Foundation staff and Volunteers.
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
o Initiate contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors.
o Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers.
o Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
o Make solicitations when appropriate.
o Maintain stewardship contacts with donors
o Maintain a high level of professional relationships with all donors: adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase existing donor giving levels and commitments.
- Provide on-going, effective donor engagement through personalized reporting, donor meetings and the creation of innovative stewardship strategies as required.
- Monitors all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations.
Data and Records Management
- Maintain up-to-date donor information in the Foundation’s database
- Maintain accurate donor contact metrics.
Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to set priorities, complete work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge is an asset
- Proven ability to secure, grow and sustain meaningful and lasting relationships
- Articulate, confident and with an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal and external contacts
- Able to interpret and communicate complex programs and ideas to a varied audience
- Ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines
- Driven to surpass goals
- Strong focus on accountability
- Significant attention to detail
- Mix of regular office hours and weekend and evening hours as required.
- Overtime as required.