JYSK

JYSK Employee Reviews

fun work environment
Sales/Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 24, 2016
A great environment, friendly co-workers and a great team of management.
Great place to earn experience dealing with costumers and multitasking skills whether it be working as Cash, Sales, Warehouse, or Management.
Sells cool stuff at a price even employees can afford
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Management change was a hard blow as it felt a family had been torn apart...
I started as a simple cashier, used to purchases but not returns as I had only previously worked in the food industry.
My boss was a great mentor. He had a lot of understanding when it came to personal issues - and pushed the team hard to grow as a company.
Jysk forever has a place in my teenaged heart.
High intensity environment in a fast growing company.
Senior Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCDecember 10, 2015
High intensity environment in a fast growing company.
Not the perfect work/life balance , with a high volume of data as a retail company.
But the whole company is like a family and many colleagues are many years here.
Your experience here depends entirely on who you're working with
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2015
I'm still working here and am three months into the job. The training here is very subpar; after one day of cleaning the store, you're practically left to fend for yourself. I had few problems with this, though, since my coworkers are all very friendly, which is why I say that your experience depends on who you're working with. The staff at my store are all willing to help, though sometimes its hard when it gets busy. I'm very thankful for this, because I sincerely recommend you don't apply if the location you're applying to has less attentive workers.

Like I said, I'm three months into the job, but I still have no clue what I'm talking about sometimes. There have been multiple occasions where I ask a question and something else comes up before it gets answered, and I never get taught on the topic. My section includes bedding and furniture, but the only training I received in either area was a one-time walk around in bedding. I was recently trained in till, which was interrupted half way through to put stock away, and I was put on till the next night with only the knowledge of how to do basic card and cash transactions, no idea how to do returns, look up items, print a price check, or even the basic duties a till person should do, like counting till and related paperwork at the end of the night. Warehouse workers do most of the heavy lifting, but some days Warehouse workers have to take a day off or just aren't booked. I was put in the awkward position one day of having to explain that no one else was available to ask and I had no idea what the standard operation of pick
  more... up was regarding paperwork. Afterward, I was promised to be taught the operation, as all employees should know, but I still don't. Thankfully, like I said, I had very few issues other than one time occurrences as long as someone is available to help.

Some days are physically exhausting, and some work is fairly dangerous. Ladders are very much involved in the way we work. Sometimes we have to get very heavy things from way up, for example, I once took heavy wood and leather ottomans off the third shelf with an unsteady ladder. The heaviest stuff is usually left to the warehouse guys, but sometimes it's just you. Sales associates also have to put away all the stock. There is no other shift to do it overnight, so on trailer days and often the two days after, its overwhelmingly crowded with boxes on the floor. I usually spend every trailer day completely on the ladder, hiding extra stock, as we always seem to get things that we already have too much of.

Thankfully, the store employees and management are all very understanding, and because of them I truly enjoy spending time at work, working with them and talking to them on slow days. But, if you have trouble with physical labour, trouble talking to people, don't think the employees at your location are as accepting, don't want to work on till (everyone has to,) or have trouble with troubleshooting on where to get information, I wouldn't recommend applying here.
Pros
Friendly co workers, reasonable hours
Cons
Physically tiring, lacks in training.
productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 24, 2015
JYSK enabled me to gain experience in every aspect while applying my skills and expertise in making the workplace a welcoming and customer friendly environment.
sales
Furniture/Bedding Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONOctober 26, 2015
Overall it is a nice place to work. Nice people. You are able to move up when you stay within the company. Managers are hired not based on personality. You might find rude and ignorant managers though.
Unsatisfied and thankless management
Category Planner for Home Décor and Accessories (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCOctober 1, 2015
Expect over 10 hours of work a day but despite that management are not very thankful. Efforts or positive results are often ignored and over-shadowed with smaller errors. Too much politics and favouritism.
Pros
Trains to work in an extreme retail stress atmosphere
Cons
Great place to work as a youth with minimal family commitments
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  nanaimo b.c.September 22, 2015
As a hopeful assistant manager was not told of 44 hour work week until contract signing. The extra 4 hours is basically working for 2 weeks for free. So if you are ok to do that ensure you negotiate that into the wage package. Tons of ladder climbing even in management so strengthen up you legs.
Pros
fun enviornment, great manager!
Cons
long day hours, benefit pkg looks good but maxinuims are set low for families
Customer Service Representative
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCSeptember 18, 2015
Customer Service Representative throughout the store. Stalking inventory with ladder above displays. Stalking inventory in bathroom and linen areas..central and outdoor displays..selling furniture such as couches, beds, shelf units. I would help with closing store and bringing displays inside store at night. I was in charge of garbage and recycling.
Pros
Customer Sales
Cons
Bus Transit System
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  OakvilleSeptember 12, 2015
Worked there during the summer and was a great job with wonderful co-workers. I worked cash as well as unloaded pallets. I organized merchandise in the store and cleaned at days end. I moved outdoor display to the front of the store and used a ladder to store and pull down products for customers.
fun and good atmosphere
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  brampton,ontarioSeptember 7, 2015
very good company to work for. its fun and full of zeal and zeast. never ever a dull moment. there is lot of different variety of merchandise they sell that are unique in design at a reasonable price.
Work place enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCAugust 21, 2015
Good management,managers help attitudes ,flexible timings,getting to open boxes and arranging was tough but in all was enjoyable
Pros
Less stress
Cons
less time break
It was very demanding at times because i had taken over a broken store which me and my team build up from ground zero
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 29, 2015
Personally me and my newely built team put the store on the national map for sales increase through effective execution of deliverables.
Terrible place to start your career
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port CoquitlamJune 3, 2015
I started my career out of college at Jysk and it was the worst experience ever. The CFO tries to be nice but is the biggest hypocrite, he knows that the company doesn't have enough employees in the department but makes everyone do the work. He makes you feel bad for leaving work after 10 hour days. The turnover of employees at this place is crazy. Every month there's a new employee in the department. I have heard other people quitting because of the CFO. It is only the finance department that i know is terrible. I would stay away from Jysk
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Long hours, not worth the compensation, terrible CFO
Not a road I would travel again
Floor Manager/Head Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2015
I had an excellent manager. However, the staff was not up to par, and I felt like the two of us were doing the work load of 30. I felt the higher management,(DM), was unskilled not only in merchandising, but in management. I have walked into JYSK since my departure which I do not regret, and I found there is a lack of customer service. We tried our best to establish authority and order, however, higher management counter acted that, allowing employees to be lacked and lazy.
Pros
i had a great store manager!
Cons
many
Loved working here!
Shoes specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2014
I was a cashier, so my duties were your typical cashier duties. This was my first job, so I learned a lot about retail from JYSK. They taught me how to use the cash register, how to return products, how to greet costumers and general costumer service duties. My manger was great, she was very professional and very respectful. My co-workers were great too, we all got along and worked together to make the store better. There was nothing especially hard about this job but memorizing the different brand names was difficult sometimes. The best part was the co-workers and the flexibility.
would love to have stayed if some ppl where gone
Reach Operator (Former Employee) –  missisaugaOctober 31, 2014
love the hour most of the ppl management was good bad lead hand
Productive and fun work environment,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 31, 2014
Arrive at work, count in cash (if on cash that day) if not, clean up departments, bring out extra stock if needed, fill shelves. Co-workers were great to work with, everyone helps out each other. Hardest part of job would be trying to get all the stock out on the shelves on shipment days before open.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
bringing display furniture in and out on cold winter days
Strong team and productive work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 21, 2014
I learned my cashier skills and customer service skills. I managed the drapery departments and helped customers create their ideal rooms and and solved problems. I organized and maintained the department, keeping it safe and up to the visual standards.
Steady work environment with heavy lifting required
Mattress Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONOctober 6, 2014
Daily budgets, deadlines, and constant tidying of the showroom floor makes the day go fast as a department store expertise of the product is essential to maintain a proffesional an knowledgable section