JYSK Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
would love to have stayed if some ppl where gone
Reach Operator (Former Employee), missisaugaOctober 31, 2014
love the hour most of the ppl management was good bad lead hand
Productive and fun work environment,
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kingston, ONOctober 31, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: bringing display furniture in and out on cold winter days
Arrive at work, count in cash (if on cash that day) if not, clean up departments, bring out extra stock if needed, fill shelves. Co-workers were great to work with, everyone helps out each other. Hardest part of job would be trying to get all the stock out on the shelves on shipment days before open.
Strong team and productive work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 21, 2014
I learned my cashier skills and customer service skills. I managed the drapery departments and helped customers create their ideal rooms and and solved problems. I organized and maintained the department, keeping it safe and up to the visual standards.
Steady work environment with heavy lifting required
Mattress Specialist (Current Employee), Orleans, ONOctober 6, 2014
Daily budgets, deadlines, and constant tidying of the showroom floor makes the day go fast as a department store expertise of the product is essential to maintain a proffesional an knowledgable section
Fun and productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Queen streetMay 20, 2014
I had a chance to interact with customers as well as give my opinions on the items they were purchasing.Co- workers were all great.
My Employment at JYSK
Floor Manager (Former Employee), Northgate, Calgary ABMay 13, 2014
Pros: good team
Cons: really long hours.
When I first stepped into the doors of JYSK, I had been impressed with the cleanliness of the showroom floor. I did look at the lack there of merchandising and how things flowed. I handed a floor manager my resume. I began calling when I had not heard from them for a week. I finally got a hold of the manager and she agreed to meet me with me for an – more... interview.
When I showed 30 minutes early for the interview, I had the pleasure of meeting her, and I knew the job was mine. I had only applied to be an associate and within the two weeks of my training, i was promoted to floor manager. Yes only two weeks and i had proven I had strong customer service skills, and I had strong judge of character. I enjoyed my job greatly, and took it seriously. I enjoyed training others in merchandising. Teaching them the value in product placement, and how something that seemed to look cheap can look like a pirates treasure. As a floor manager, I had to make sure employees on my shift where completing their assigned tasks for the day, and holding them accountable when not complete. Hardest part of my job was being the hammer. I had the guts and confidence to solve problems, and hand discipline when required. The best part of my job was knowing that I helped create a great team, and make future leaders in whatever career they chose in their paths. – less
Glad to Be Out of There
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 1, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: some managers lack common sense, extreme work conditions, disorganized warehouse, security issues, tools were very poor quality
My experience at Jysk was very much a love/hate relationship over the past 5 years. First and foremost, Jysk is a company that wants to be large but they have a niche market and I feel like they are transitioning the wrong way (they do a lot of stuff that other stores do much better).

As a warehouse worker (especially during the late shifts) you are – more... either doing absolutely nothing (cause you finish your work in the first 30 minutes and the managers then have nothing for you to do), or you are in a rush of customers, breaking your back and being overwhelmed. Dealing with those rushes is not part of a minimum wage job, anyone whom deals with that should be making at least $12/hr if not more. I also spent many days putting the display products together with cheap tools that were more than inadequate for the job, and I can't count the number of times hardware was missing or the product (often brand new, just shipped) was damaged. Some managers actually encouraged the shipment of damaged products which ultimately had to be dealt with by the warehouse workers

When I started the company had no problem with multiple people working warehouse during those backbreaking rushes in the middle of the day, but over the last year management has been trying to pinch pennies; one way of which was cutting back hours that were needed. There were times were we literally only had me (warehouse), a cashier, and a manger working, and were were expected to run the whole store with 3 people. This environment also lead to an evening where someone was able to walk into the locker room and steal everything from out of my locker. Due to not giving new staff the code and not wanting locks on the lockers to prevent internal theft, my stuff was stolen and on top of that they refused to compensate me for it (even though it was their negligence and policies that cause it).

Jysk management is also super shady when it comes to money, and I know fellow employees that worked overtime and had to make a scene in front of the whole store to get it. from this I also notice the head manager at my particular store had a huge problem with confrontation. No one was ever fired when I worked there, they just stopped getting hours, and certain people were kept on payroll with 0 hours for months so the manager could avoid hiring new people.

Despite all of that the co-workers there are some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with, and for every bad manager you deal with there are at least 3 really good ones. The only reason I put up with my work for so long and gave the overall rating a three (they made up for it that much) is because of having such a strong supportive staff. – less
Assistant Manager - Soft Goods (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 24, 2014
Pros: nice bright working conditions, great people
Cons: lot of 10 hrs shifts
A Good company to work for, Great merchandise for those just starting out in a new home, or the dorm room. Long hours but the pay is fair.
Reasonably-paced workplace
Cashier/stock person (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABApril 22, 2014
Pros: great discount, fun coworkers (for the most part)
Cons: the manager at the time was very unorganized and seemingly oblivious.
My day would start with prepping the tills and tidying up the area around the tills. I would typically be putting away stock in the morning before any customers came into the store, but on busier days I would be on till all day.
The manager at the time didn't really seem to have a clue..
Demanding that we stay until 7:30PM on Christmas eve, only to – more... return at about 5AM on boxing day. After working so hard and even picking up shifts over the Christmas holiday, I was very displeased to be told they were letting me go because I had become very ill. – less
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), grande prairie albertaApril 16, 2014
Pros: good friends
Cons: to much drama in workplace
it was a great place to work , nice people, good hours but there was many cons to the job like, drama...
Productive and helpful enviorment
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Markham And LawrenceApril 6, 2014
take orders from team, and bring them out the warehouse
assist in loading truck with items
remove new inventory from truck
cleaning of warehouse( daily)
tagging and organizing products in assigned areas.
Alright part time job
warehouser (Current Employee), Nanaimo BCMarch 5, 2014
Pros: its a job
Cons: boring, poor management, nothing gets done
Hours always being cut back, not a fun place to work, pays only minimum wage
Fast-paced and Friendly work enviroment
Warehouse Employee (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 2, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: at times there is not enough comunications
A typical day will consist of carrying out furniture from the warehouse. As well I work on the floor and help in generating sales in our furniture department. I have learned selling techniques from my management on how to be successful in selling furniture. My management team is helpful and easy going. I enjoy working with my co-workers.
Working at JYSK
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 15, 2014
Great environment to work in. I was hired to open the store and work part time as a sales associate. Opening the store helped me to gain a lot of experience with labeling and organizing merchandise, understanding the store layout and stocking merchandise. A typical day at work was usually steady, very busy on Thursdays because of shipments arriving. – more... Over all it was great working at JYSK. My co-workers were great and supportive. Opening the store was the best part about my job, starting with a empty store and just watching it grow is pretty exciting. – less
Warehouse representative (Part-time) (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: bad times
I would have shifts every week with lots of work to do and heavy lifting but i really enjoyed it because it was like working out while getting paid. It was a fun experience.
Had learned lots
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 14, 2014
Learned merchandising skills.
Doing set up according to season is fun over there.
Sometimes facing under-staff in the store is the hardest job to handle everything but that had made me more strong to build my confidence.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONJanuary 13, 2014
I still work at JYSK, but my hours are being cut and I need to find another job. I love working here, and enjoy working with all the staff and management.
I learned how to be a cashier, counting cash at the start of my shift and counting the tills at the end of my shirt.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers and meeting people.
Believe the reviews - this is not a good company!
Never given a title (Former Employee), London, OntarioDecember 6, 2013
Cons: short breaks, no training, no support, angry customers
Only managed to last here for three months. Was hired on in a group interview and told the hours would be based on performance. However, they do not give you any the tools required to give your best performance!

I was only given one training shift with someone in my department, which was just her walking around tidying stuff up. Was given no official – more... training, no information on product knowledge (after asking), no general idea on basic store operations, and was just left to fend for myself. After my one day of training I was consistently scheduled with no one else in my department, so no one was able to help me with questions. And due to being constantly understaffed, any one else who could help was busy or annoyed I was bothering them.

Never had the product we needed,and too much of the product we didn't. Half our transactions were returns. Store was not making money. And a month in the store manager who hired me was fired and walked out for reasons unknown to me. One by one the managers were being fired.

After a month my hours turned to 8-10 hours a week, was completely forgotten off the schedule for two weeks with no apology and given the reason "No one knew your last name so we couldn't input you".

Was blamed for the mistakes of the full time people, and now after I've left have to deal with them not paying me for what I worked for.

DO NO ACCEPT THIS JOB OFFER! This workplace is a joke! – less
EyeEm Ambassador (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2013
Great company to work for! Typical day was unloading 3 full trailers, merchandising ALL the stock coming off those trailers. Interacting and developing new store staff on company standards and customer service. Hardest part of the job was leaving!
Fun and never boring place to work
Soft Goods Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Oakville, ONJuly 18, 2013
Great place to work, very busy, never a dull moment. Meeting new people and colleagues are very friendly. Good place to start a career in the retail sector.

1 2 3