JYSK Employee Reviews

Fast pace environment, with awesome staff.
Sale Associate / Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
Jysk is a great place to start off in the retail world. They help build product knowledge and teach you how to sell and reach out to customers without fear. Great job for kids starting out. Management is fair and are always willing to work with you.
Inconsistent
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2017
This job's hours and management are too inconsistent for my liking, it would be better for someone who is ok with this type of schedule.
Really Positive Place To Work!
Cashier, Front Line Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON19 January 2017
A typical day at work for me would consist of working along side numerous co-workers and cashiers. Helping and cashing out many customers and giving a helping hand where needed. I have learned a lot working at JYSK. I have learned to be very patient and try to help every customer that comes into the store or over the phone with any concerns or questions. The management is really great and very willing to work around my schedule and very flexible. The work place culture is very calm and welcoming and everyone comes in with a positive attitude and ready to work. The hardest part of the job for me would have to be the standing on my feet for 8 hours straight. It is very tiring and has caused me to have really bad knee and feet problems. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing customers happy when leaving the store and the people that I work with each and every day that I am in.
Jysk
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 January 2017
The people are great. Management is very organized and professional. They treat you well, unfortunately hours are not what they could be for this season.
Organized Good paced work enviorment
JYSK (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 January 2017
Opened store help costumers. While promoting furniture and mattress sales. Kept sales floor organized. Worked with other departments like warehouse and cash register. Help closed on occasionally.
Pros
Low stress enviorment
Cons
certain tactics for employees
Not recommended
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 January 2017
Found the management of this company to be horrible. The district manager was a rude chauvinist and there were many double standards for men vs. women.

I have heard through the grapevine that his contract was not renewed so it may be a different type on environment now.
Pros
Discount on merchandise
Cons
Poorly managed district (SK)
Jysk
Cashier and Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 December 2016
As a cashier at Jysk you are required to preform a lot of task within a shift, generally speaking easy tasks that you can get done quickly. Coworkers are friendly and easy to work with at the Mississauga location, management on the other hand not very great.
Horrible
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON9 December 2016
I would never shop here again let alone work here again. The management was rude and gossiped about everyone. They were abusive to staff. They put staff members down. They didn't properly train any new staff. The staff is all miserable and hates their jobs.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, long shifts, no overtime, no training, poor management
Hard work, independence and self reliance expected daily.
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 September 2016
Hard work, independence and self reliance expected daily. Lift heavy objects, set up and organized furniture / merchandise displays, and finally help direct and assist costumers on opening day once the store had been set up.
stressful work day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 June 2016
my fellow employees make it good, management is what ruins us all.
Management acts like children, unbearable most days
I am ready to walk away, waiting on help from ministry of labor
this company is awful
just stay away
an entry level job
E-commerce agent (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC9 May 2016
I had some very difficult co-workers to be with, was sworn at by customers and would love to be happy in my career. I was kept in the dark about a number of issues and am not really sure where I can voice my concert and each day I pray to begin a great new career and I not sure when that will happen
Pros
short drive
Cons
misery
Good Job but, only temporary
Warehouse Worker/Store Setup (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 May 2016
Good co-workers and large variety of work where i picked up different skills. Take down of old store and set up of new store. Good job but, only temporary.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Temporary
A Place to Learn about Managing for the First Time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB5 April 2016
Typically, I would start my day by going through the previous days emails, check for online orders, get the days budget, and check which of my staff was working that day. I would then walk through my departments and write a list of things that needed to be done or finished.

I handled customers questions and concerns, performed opening and closing duties, as well as, a support system for my staff and co-workers.

I learned how to manage a group of people, tasks, and myself, for the first time.

I had a great management team I worked with closely. My boss taught me a lot of important skills as a manager, as well as, life skills. My co-workers were young and vibrant people who all got along with each other and worked hard but had fun.

The hardest part of my job was managing my merchandising time and my staff at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was positively affecting the younger staff in the workplace skills and life skills.
Not Enjoyable Employment
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 March 2016
My job is fairly easy and rewarding, I enjoy making sales and helping customers find what they are looking for. However the work environment is not very good. It is too high school orientated, too much drama and no matter how hard you work or how good you are at you job it wont matter if your personality doesn't fit the long term employees, they make you feel unwelcome and bullied.
Pros
Spifs on mattress sales
Cons
Coworkers
work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB29 January 2016
i believe that work is very in portent but if you dont have a good management and staff then it tends to get a little boring.
fun work environment
Sales/Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 January 2016
A great environment, friendly co-workers and a great team of management.
Great place to earn experience dealing with costumers and multitasking skills whether it be working as Cash, Sales, Warehouse, or Management.
Sells cool stuff at a price even employees can afford
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 January 2016
Management change was a hard blow as it felt a family had been torn apart...
I started as a simple cashier, used to purchases but not returns as I had only previously worked in the food industry.
My boss was a great mentor. He had a lot of understanding when it came to personal issues - and pushed the team hard to grow as a company.
Jysk forever has a place in my teenaged heart.
High intensity environment in a fast growing company.
Senior Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC10 December 2015
High intensity environment in a fast growing company.
Not the perfect work/life balance , with a high volume of data as a retail company.
But the whole company is like a family and many colleagues are many years here.
Your experience here depends entirely on who you're working with
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2015
I'm still working here and am three months into the job. The training here is very subpar; after one day of cleaning the store, you're practically left to fend for yourself. I had few problems with this, though, since my coworkers are all very friendly, which is why I say that your experience depends on who you're working with. The staff at my store are all willing to help, though sometimes its hard when it gets busy. I'm very thankful for this, because I sincerely recommend you don't apply if the location you're applying to has less attentive workers.

Like I said, I'm three months into the job, but I still have no clue what I'm talking about sometimes. There have been multiple occasions where I ask a question and something else comes up before it gets answered, and I never get taught on the topic. My section includes bedding and furniture, but the only training I received in either area was a one-time walk around in bedding. I was recently trained in till, which was interrupted half way through to put stock away, and I was put on till the next night with only the knowledge of how to do basic card and cash transactions, no idea how to do returns, look up items, print a price check, or even the basic duties a till person should do, like counting till and related paperwork at the end of the night. Warehouse workers do most of the heavy lifting, but some days Warehouse workers have to take a day off or just aren't booked. I was put in the awkward position one day of having to explain that no one else was available to ask and I had no idea what the standard operation of pick
  more... up was regarding paperwork. Afterward, I was promised to be taught the operation, as all employees should know, but I still don't. Thankfully, like I said, I had very few issues other than one time occurrences as long as someone is available to help.

Some days are physically exhausting, and some work is fairly dangerous. Ladders are very much involved in the way we work. Sometimes we have to get very heavy things from way up, for example, I once took heavy wood and leather ottomans off the third shelf with an unsteady ladder. The heaviest stuff is usually left to the warehouse guys, but sometimes it's just you. Sales associates also have to put away all the stock. There is no other shift to do it overnight, so on trailer days and often the two days after, its overwhelmingly crowded with boxes on the floor. I usually spend every trailer day completely on the ladder, hiding extra stock, as we always seem to get things that we already have too much of.

Thankfully, the store employees and management are all very understanding, and because of them I truly enjoy spending time at work, working with them and talking to them on slow days. But, if you have trouble with physical labour, trouble talking to people, don't think the employees at your location are as accepting, don't want to work on till (everyone has to,) or have trouble with troubleshooting on where to get information, I wouldn't recommend applying here.
Pros
Friendly co workers, reasonable hours
Cons
Physically tiring, lacks in training.
productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2015
JYSK enabled me to gain experience in every aspect while applying my skills and expertise in making the workplace a welcoming and customer friendly environment.

2.9