JV Driver

JV Driver Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Seriously Unorganized! Uneducated Foreman.
Journeyman welder (Former Employee), Logan Lake, BCOctober 19, 2013
Pros: loa, can be drunk or stoned at work.
Cons: jv driver is a joke!
If you're an experienced tradesman they won't let you do your job. At JV Driver it's all about who you party and do drugs with! If you don't fit in with that, they will find a way to get rid of you! Overall JVD is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked in my 20 years of experience.
Good work place
Welder/Structural Steel Plate Fitter (Former Employee), Nisku,AbOctober 8, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: long hours
Not honest about production.We had been reassured there would be no lay offs but less than a month later most of us were.
Fair Job
Steel Fabricator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
If your good @ anything expect to be stuck doing it until your no longer employed here.

Great place for a apprentice to learn the basics.

The People you work with are amazing and kept me around.

Hardest part I found was Management was poorly organized.
Idea's were stolen if they were even considered and majority of the time that wouldn't even happen.

You have good attendance, they'll never let you go, no matter how many times you mess up.

Daytime shift seemed to be the window dressing,
Night shift was where the work was pushed.

Nice safety incentives such as hat's jackets even a watch if your around long enough.

Odd BBQ/pizza lunch.

average 48hour work weeks

Weekend work was very rare.
Good place to work amazing people
Camp / Travel / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 2, 2013
Pros: everything is taken care of
We look after all our craft, book rooms; flights submit timesheets place orders whatever they need ,we look after. I have learned a lot at this job, for me I would say the biggest thing would be if you respect your workers and treat them well they will always come through for you and put in all they have for the company.
I work with the most amazing crew and have been very lucky to have met the people i have. Management has been great and it is like a family here it will be sad to see the end.
I enjoy working so closely with the craft and I enjoy helping people. It has been a great learning and growing experience and i can't wait to begin a new chapter.
Hard work
light equipment (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABJune 13, 2013
Pros: co workers / good guys
Cons: management
move materal around the job site for the different trades
not much to learned, may be a bit more about the equipment
management was a little weak
co workers were good guys older gentelman that had been there awhile
not knowing what was next to do, communication.
running the eqguipment
working here is great
QC Inspector/NDE Coordinator (Current Employee), Nisku albertaJune 4, 2013
Pros: helps you balance a home life too
• Quality control inspections in the steel fabrication shop , pipe fabrication shop and module Assembly yard .
• Visual inspecting Structural welds / piping welds / dimensions / orientation based on W59 / B31.1 / B31.3/B31.11/CSA Z662/Client Specifications.
• Coordination of Non-Destructive Examination for the pipe shop and module yard with Third Party NDE Contractor.
• Performing Module punching on completed systems for integrity.
• Client Walk Downs on Pre and Post Punches.
• Witness hydro testing & pneumatic testing of piping systems

Great place
gong show
foreman (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayMay 22, 2013
Cons: poorly run, low wages.
Working for jv driver is as pleasant as a prostate exam. Low wages, nepotism is high and they preach core values without following them. Set people up to fail constantly and its an old boys club. Knee jerk reaction to safety but they do give out nice safety swag.
Very Poor Management
Labour (Former Employee), Cold LakeMay 9, 2013
Pros: pay is pretty decent
Cons: supervisors with no experience
The Managers are so wrapped up in advancing in the company that they wipe their boots on whoever stands in the way. 1 hr. bus ride each way to Cold Lake with no compesation. Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company. They want production but hire double the men required to do the work and then do not have the material to complete the work, then when it shows up PANIC !!!!
Lots of potential but have to revisit senior people responsible for the day to day operations.
You don't dare speak up like they ask you to do. My door is always open my buddy,
One of the rare companys which want to employ immigrants
Welder/Fitter CWB SMAW, MCAW (Current Employee), Nisku, ABApril 24, 2013
Good opportunity for immigrants.
50 hours per week.
Great co-workers and foreman's.
This is the one review you need to read!
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABApril 17, 2013
Pros: the money, the guys
Cons: long days with inadequate compensation, long commutes, poor communication, poor management, not enough materials, not enough tools, not enough work, poor moral
Starting from the beginning after you get a call from their recruiter you'll send the necessary documents and complete your drug test. After which you'll receive a welcome package with the info you need. You'll likely get this at the latest possibly moment as most workers here can attest too. You will need to arrange your own flights, they will bus you from Edmonton airport.
Arranging accommodations in remote Cold Lake is challenging because there is a low vacancy rate. Because there is a low vacancy rate this town will gouge you! Expect to pay an average of $1000 for a month of rent and two weeks if your in a hotel. Having a car is ideal as the town has a north end with few amenities and a south end with more options. No public transit and an over priced taxi service. (Avg. $15 one way)
To get to the site you will catch a bus at approx 5:30am every morning. The commute is 1 hour, each way and unpaid. You'll arrive on site half an hour early (6:30am) you will not get paid until 7am. The bus leaves the site at 6pm. You can expect to get back in town for 7pm.
If you like to get a decent sleep you'll have a couple hours of down time. In which you'll be spending it eating, getting cleaned up and preparing or the next day.
The job site is disorganized, most things are a battle, very few materials, even fewer tools. The tool crib is under stocked! Foreman's are good guys and are dealing with lack of communication and work for their crews from management. Management is extremely poor here. There is very little respect for the troops on the ground. They implement changes that make things – more... harder for everyone with little to no warning. Turnover is high here and lots of good workers are leaving. The work for some trades is nearly finished. Carpenters may have work into June.
Safety is mostly rhetoric, and is in place to protect the company, not the employee. Safety meetings are ineffective and all though there may be good ideas, there is no implementation.
On average the pay is pretty good. On a 5 day cheque it's approx $2500, 7 day cheque $3000 and a 2 day is $800. These are approximates and take home numbers. Factor in living expenses. Travel and loa is included in those numbers.
The union (if you can call it that) is useless and does little to nothing to help you here.
JV must have payed to receive a 50 Best managed company designation, or it's a typo, or its an expired stamp. Very poorly organized, very poorly managed. – less
poorly managed worksite
Industrial Formwork Carpenter (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABApril 10, 2013
Pros: well paid carpentry, but similar to any oilsands carpenter, decent loa and travel allowances, most of the people i work with are nice guys.
Cons: long days( on the bus to worksite at 0530, back home in the hotel at 1900, paid for 10.5 hrs.) at least we aren't paying for the bus ride, we really don't work too hard, as there are almost too many workers and not enough work right now.
poor management of human and other resources.

insufficient tools for the number of workers. power and hand tools are notable by their scarcity.

journeyman carpenters doing unskilled labour, labourers don't seem to do anything.

disorganized worksite. flow of materials from one location seems to be at the discretion of workers. eg foreman directs us to " go find some more wood", at which point one starts to wander around asking other crews for their likely looking materials.

security of personal effects is minimal. numerous reports of clothing and boots being discarded while on days off because the individual was thought to have quit, i don't leave anything on site i can't afford to lose.

like many of my coworkers i will take another job as soon as i can.
A good spirited place to work.
Pipe Insulator (Current Employee), Leduc, ABApril 3, 2013
Pros: suppers provided when overtime is required.
Excellant management.
Company is oriented to making workers feel comfortable by providing above average kitchen facilities.
All necessary facilities are well maintained. Clean environment.
Job expectations were within my work ability.
CWB Welder Williams Energy Site (Red Water)
Welder (Current Employee), Redwater AlbertaFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: loa
Cons: management very disorganized
More white hard hats than I have ever seen on a site. Very disorganized management, spend more time moving welding equipment than actually welding. Safety is a joke expect workers to work under suspended loads, never red flag lift areas. Try to punish workings for speaking up about safety issues at tool box meetings. Also worst tool crib, not enough tools and very cheap when it comes to purchasing the proper tools to do the job.

February 20, 2013

Just wondering if you or anyone can tell me how many days you work. Looking @ job posting that says 14 on 7 off. When do they pay overtime? and do you actually work 14 days straight? Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

Poor Management
Pipefitter (Former Employee), NiskuJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: you get to do the job over and over again, cost plus work
Cons: not able to perform to your best.
They spin a nice yarn when you apply, but after that it will not take long to fugure out that the management must all be buddies from before, they are the best at screwing over the client and employees. Best to look elsewhere.
Throw experienced tradesmen to the wind over socializing beginners
Millwright (Former Employee), Logan Lake, BCJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: drug testing
Cons: too many brown nosers
Newly appointed inexperienced supervision listens to socializing beginners over seasoned tradesmen. Job ethics and standards not recognized. Here comes the cancer into a well meaning company.

February 14, 2013

work for them klp atla,half union and half CLAC don"t mix well one blame the other

they say be safe, but what they really mean is hurry up and dont let us catch you
carpenter (Current Employee), cold lake, abJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: lots of future work.
Cons: they rip you off, safety is preached not practised
get on the shuttle bus at 5:20 am get to the job site for 6:20am work until 5:30 pm, catch the bus at 6:00 pm get off the bus at 7:00 pm. Only get payed for 10 hours when they take basiclly 14 hours of your day. They give you $120 a day LOA in Cold lake. so you have to live in a skidded out hotel in order to be able to eat half decent. Most of the guys that work on site are pretty good to work with tho. They will be hiring 500-1000 new guys in the next month or 2. There wont be a hotel room to rent for under $100 a night soon. so think about that before you think the LOA is an incentive!

February 2, 2013

hey im going to be going for employment out there and I have a bunch of questions id like to ask you hopefully you see this and wouldnt mind posting me an email i can reach you at, thanks!

Good people/poorly managed
Electrician (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABDecember 10, 2012
There were lots of good people to work with. Management works on a reactive system not proactive. They are slow about rolling out policies but expect the worker to know the changes before the policy is rolled out.
Well organized, great working conditions, help from supervision when asked for.
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABNovember 28, 2012
Management always kept me abreast of information to complete
problem installations and missing material.
Productive, good place to work
Electrician (Former Employee), Nisku, ABNovember 21, 2012
Pros: relatively organized
Cons: long hours
Very good place to work
BBQ's happened a few times that year
Great group of guys to work with.
some good people
Operator-Scaffolder (Former Employee), Nisku, ABNovember 18, 2012
Cons: working every 2nd saturday mandatory.
Experienced some bad attitude toward,s out of province worker,s. I was told I quit , while on short term disability. Did not know until I tried to return to work. Had a hell of a time getting U.I. . How ever,the majority of co- worker,s were decent and respectful.I really miss some of them.

About JV Driver

JV Driver has been providing industrial construction services to the Oil & Gas, Energy, Petrochemical, Forestry, and Mining – Read more

JV Driver Photos