JV Driver Employee Reviews in Canada

very good camps and clean work places
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABAugust 29, 2015
fun work place with supportive management not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and poltics but this is expected of a big comapany
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
not long enough hours
overall very good place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 28, 2014
good place to work
good people
good pay
safe environment
good benifits
JV Driver
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 1, 2015
Great experience on every project, I enjoy working with this company and look forward to future projects. Generally a friendly environment to work and a very professional group
it was ok
Apprentice Pipe-fitter (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 8, 2015
the over all job was ok the management was really hard on us aways giving us trouble there was really no time off when it came down to it the pay was good bout overall it was good for the time being
Great Company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Great Company to work for. Would return without hesitation. Unfortunately the oil economy is really impacting employment.
Great Company to work for
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 19, 2015
Fast paced work with great co workers that make the job fun. Lots of opportunity to advance and learn. Good pay. The hardest part of the job is staying in camp when there is only 10 hour days.
Pros
Great pay, Enjoyable work
Cons
Fly days are long going east
This is the one review you need to read!
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABApril 17, 2013
Starting from the beginning after you get a call from their recruiter you'll send the necessary documents and complete your drug test. After which you'll receive a welcome package with the info you need. You'll likely get this at the latest possibly moment as most workers here can attest too. You will need to arrange your own flights, they will bus you from Edmonton airport.
Arranging accommodations in remote Cold Lake is challenging because there is a low vacancy rate. Because there is a low vacancy rate this town will gouge you! Expect to pay an average of $1000 for a month of rent and two weeks if your in a hotel. Having a car is ideal as the town has a north end with few amenities and a south end with more options. No public transit and an over priced taxi service. (Avg. $15 one way)
To get to the site you will catch a bus at approx 5:30am every morning. The commute is 1 hour, each way and unpaid. You'll arrive on site half an hour early (6:30am) you will not get paid until 7am. The bus leaves the site at 6pm. You can expect to get back in town for 7pm.
If you like to get a decent sleep you'll have a couple hours of down time. In which you'll be spending it eating, getting cleaned up and preparing or the next day.
The job site is disorganized, most things are a battle, very few materials, even fewer tools. The tool crib is under stocked! Foreman's are good guys and are dealing with lack of communication and work for their crews from management. Management is extremely poor here. There is very little respect for the troops on the ground. They implement changes that make things
  more... harder for everyone with little to no warning. Turnover is high here and lots of good workers are leaving. The work for some trades is nearly finished. Carpenters may have work into June.
Safety is mostly rhetoric, and is in place to protect the company, not the employee. Safety meetings are ineffective and all though there may be good ideas, there is no implementation.
On average the pay is pretty good. On a 5 day cheque it's approx $2500, 7 day cheque $3000 and a 2 day is $800. These are approximates and take home numbers. Factor in living expenses. Travel and loa is included in those numbers.
The union (if you can call it that) is useless and does little to nothing to help you here.
JV must have payed to receive a 50 Best managed company designation, or it's a typo, or its an expired stamp. Very poorly organized, very poorly managed.
Pros
the money, the guys
Cons
long days with inadequate compensation, long commutes, poor communication, poor management, not enough materials, not enough tools, not enough work, poor moral
Friendly young atmosphere
Electrical Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2015
Generally young crew makes for entertaining and exciting days. Never a dull moment, lots of laughs are shared and makes otherwise mundane days at work more bearable.
Fun place to work. Great crews to work with.
Electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AlbertaJune 13, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Cold Lake. Met some great guys from B.C and Newfoundland. Still talk to them today. Wages were fair and the camp was comfortable. Had some good foreman and general foreman. Most were very approachable and dealt with issues as best they could. Would work night shift for these guys anytime.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
Lack of tools on occasion
Good place to work amazing people
Camp / Travel / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 2, 2013
We look after all our craft, book rooms; flights submit timesheets place orders whatever they need ,we look after. I have learned a lot at this job, for me I would say the biggest thing would be if you respect your workers and treat them well they will always come through for you and put in all they have for the company.
I work with the most amazing crew and have been very lucky to have met the people i have. Management has been great and it is like a family here it will be sad to see the end.
I enjoy working so closely with the craft and I enjoy helping people. It has been a great learning and growing experience and i can't wait to begin a new chapter.
Pros
everything is taken care of
Pre-hiring process is frustrating
Journeyman Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AlbertaFebruary 25, 2014
I received an email by a JV Driver recruiter, and I responded, and received a prompt response. I followed up and tried calling them, but I kept getting an answering machine. So I emailed them, which was the best way to contact them. I then proceeded to send my tickets, and proof of hours, as well as passing an A & D test. I was then told via email, that I would be contacted by somebody through the weekend, as it was a Friday. No calls. No call Monday. No call Tuesday. Ever since getting hired I have not had any support by anybody in the HR department. This is a good company with lots of work, but so far, I am very disappointed at how they handle "new hires".
Pros
flights, lots of hours, good camp
Cons
hr department, management
Fair Job
Steel Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
If your good @ anything expect to be stuck doing it until your no longer employed here.

Great place for a apprentice to learn the basics.

The People you work with are amazing and kept me around.

Hardest part I found was Management was poorly organized.
Idea's were stolen if they were even considered and majority of the time that wouldn't even happen.

You have good attendance, they'll never let you go, no matter how many times you mess up.

Daytime shift seemed to be the window dressing,
Night shift was where the work was pushed.

Nice safety incentives such as hat's jackets even a watch if your around long enough.

Odd BBQ/pizza lunch.

average 48hour work weeks

Weekend work was very rare.
very good ppl and company to work for
rig welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2015
the ppl make the company and they are awesome to work with ty. when they can see u are advancing or advanced they work with u to use your abilities to the max.
poorly managed worksite
Industrial Formwork Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABApril 10, 2013
poor management of human and other resources.

insufficient tools for the number of workers. power and hand tools are notable by their scarcity.

journeyman carpenters doing unskilled labour, labourers don't seem to do anything.

disorganized worksite. flow of materials from one location seems to be at the discretion of workers. eg foreman directs us to " go find some more wood", at which point one starts to wander around asking other crews for their likely looking materials.

security of personal effects is minimal. numerous reports of clothing and boots being discarded while on days off because the individual was thought to have quit, i don't leave anything on site i can't afford to lose.

like many of my coworkers i will take another job as soon as i can.
Pros
well paid carpentry, but similar to any oilsands carpenter, decent loa and travel allowances, most of the people i work with are nice guys.
Cons
long days( on the bus to worksite at 0530, back home in the hotel at 1900, paid for 10.5 hrs.) at least we aren't paying for the bus ride, we really don't work too hard, as there are almost too many workers and not enough work right now.
Carpenter Industral Forming
Certifed Carpenter (Former Employee) –  RedwaterNovember 7, 2013
shift would start off with safety meeting exercise task instructions work mate allways in two persons or more depending on work task good place to work would liked to continue to work for them person said after job ended will put me on waiting list still waiting my work not as importent as management feels there,s is
Pros
work was good wile lasted
Cons
still waiting to go back to work for them not holding breath
CWB Welder Williams Energy Site (Red Water)
Welder (Current Employee) –  Redwater AlbertaFebruary 12, 2013
More white hard hats than I have ever seen on a site. Very disorganized management, spend more time moving welding equipment than actually welding. Safety is a joke expect workers to work under suspended loads, never red flag lift areas. Try to punish workings for speaking up about safety issues at tool box meetings. Also worst tool crib, not enough tools and very cheap when it comes to purchasing the proper tools to do the job.
Pros
loa
Cons
management very disorganized
they say be safe, but what they really mean is hurry up and dont let us catch you
carpenter (Current Employee) –  cold lake, abJanuary 4, 2013
get on the shuttle bus at 5:20 am get to the job site for 6:20am work until 5:30 pm, catch the bus at 6:00 pm get off the bus at 7:00 pm. Only get payed for 10 hours when they take basiclly 14 hours of your day. They give you $120 a day LOA in Cold lake. so you have to live in a skidded out hotel in order to be able to eat half decent. Most of the guys that work on site are pretty good to work with tho. They will be hiring 500-1000 new guys in the next month or 2. There wont be a hotel room to rent for under $100 a night soon. so think about that before you think the LOA is an incentive!
Pros
lots of future work.
Cons
they rip you off, safety is preached not practised
Great Place and good people to work for.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABMay 29, 2015
The first thing i loved about this company is the safety, Everything was safety first which is the main thing in a work place.
No tools, too many employees
B welder (Current Employee) –  Nisku, mod yardMay 6, 2015
No tools to do your job properly, mostly foreign workers with no safety training, no where to sit to eat lunch, stand around for days waiting for something to do, 6 pipe fitters to fit one 6" joint.
Pros
Great foremen and leads
Cons
Bus to site, too many workers
Very Poor Management
Labour (Former Employee) –  Cold LakeMay 9, 2013
The Managers are so wrapped up in advancing in the company that they wipe their boots on whoever stands in the way. 1 hr. bus ride each way to Cold Lake with no compesation. Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company. They want production but hire double the men required to do the work and then do not have the material to complete the work, then when it shows up PANIC !!!!
Lots of potential but have to revisit senior people responsible for the day to day operations.
You don't dare speak up like they ask you to do. My door is always open my buddy,
Pros
pay is pretty decent
Cons
supervisors with no experience