JV Driver Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Systems Architect (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB16 March 2016
fast paced work place.
required to wear multiple hats.
No work life balance.
Get er done attitude.
Team driven. safety and attention to safety is well looked upon
Pros
hockey tickets
Cons
no life work balance
OK if looking for temporary work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
Great operations.
Not permanent work.

Great equipment.
Not enough hours. Could have had us in a labour pool or offered other work outside our positions as bus drivers.

In 9 month period had 3 different supervisors.
Pros
Professional Attitude
Cons
Not enough hours for my position as bus driver
Great place to work. Clean camps, good food, friendly people
Electrical QA/QC inspector (Former Employee) –  Ft. McKay26 August 2015
I enjoyed working with JV Driver. A typical day would be up early for breakfast with co-workers. After which we would load the buses for the trip to the job site. Days were usually busy with lots of new learning opportunities. Management and Co-workers were good. After a long shift it was back to camp for dinner and some free time. Lights out early.
Pros
Excellent Wages, Advancement potential
Cons
Job security in the oil/gas industry is currently not great
overall very good place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB28 July 2014
good place to work
good people
good pay
safe environment
good benifits
Watch your back
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB26 February 2016
This is a site where safety will shut down any job because they don't understand what's going on. Superintendents that preach safety as an absolute and than do what ever they want. And they allow the client to put people scared to say no and inexperienced labours in to harmful situations.

Stay away if you have options.
productive and fun workplace
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 December 2015
Oil-related companies, as was done in the modyard welding.

Meet the partners enjoyed, a good job.

Have no intention of move on. However, the economy is not good that nobody was forced to do rayoff.

Canada came in impressive company.
Cons
Been working for them since December
Apprentice Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB8 March 2016
Like everything about he company and people in the Nisku mod yard... Lots of work to keep guys going through the summer Is a big plus right now
This is the one review you need to read!
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB17 April 2013
Starting from the beginning after you get a call from their recruiter you'll send the necessary documents and complete your drug test. After which you'll receive a welcome package with the info you need. You'll likely get this at the latest possibly moment as most workers here can attest too. You will need to arrange your own flights, they will bus you from Edmonton airport.
Arranging accommodations in remote Cold Lake is challenging because there is a low vacancy rate. Because there is a low vacancy rate this town will gouge you! Expect to pay an average of $1000 for a month of rent and two weeks if your in a hotel. Having a car is ideal as the town has a north end with few amenities and a south end with more options. No public transit and an over priced taxi service. (Avg. $15 one way)
To get to the site you will catch a bus at approx 5:30am every morning. The commute is 1 hour, each way and unpaid. You'll arrive on site half an hour early (6:30am) you will not get paid until 7am. The bus leaves the site at 6pm. You can expect to get back in town for 7pm.
If you like to get a decent sleep you'll have a couple hours of down time. In which you'll be spending it eating, getting cleaned up and preparing or the next day.
The job site is disorganized, most things are a battle, very few materials, even fewer tools. The tool crib is under stocked! Foreman's are good guys and are dealing with lack of communication and work for their crews from management. Management is extremely poor here. There is very little respect for the troops on the ground. They implement changes that make things
  more... harder for everyone with little to no warning. Turnover is high here and lots of good workers are leaving. The work for some trades is nearly finished. Carpenters may have work into June.
Safety is mostly rhetoric, and is in place to protect the company, not the employee. Safety meetings are ineffective and all though there may be good ideas, there is no implementation.
On average the pay is pretty good. On a 5 day cheque it's approx $2500, 7 day cheque $3000 and a 2 day is $800. These are approximates and take home numbers. Factor in living expenses. Travel and loa is included in those numbers.
The union (if you can call it that) is useless and does little to nothing to help you here.
JV must have payed to receive a 50 Best managed company designation, or it's a typo, or its an expired stamp. Very poorly organized, very poorly managed.
Pros
the money, the guys
Cons
long days with inadequate compensation, long commutes, poor communication, poor management, not enough materials, not enough tools, not enough work, poor moral
Productive work place ,with great people to work with
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB28 July 2015
Typical day began at 3 AM for a 300km run.

management communication regarding safety and other driver's issues was never better

The hardest part of the job was getting up in the middle of the night to start the day.

my co workers were for the most part very safety concerned people that never hesitated to let you know if you didn't bring your "A" game with you to the work place. They were the best people I ever worked with and have formed permenent relationships with a lot them.

The co workers were fantastic.
Unstable company. Layoffs start right after date of hire
B-Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 November 2015
Ridiculous management. Top heavy administration probably due to incompetence. No idea of workers needs or abilities. No recognition of how payroll is made in industry.
Pros
Countless useless meetings waste valuable time
Cons
Can't expect any security for people with integrity
This is the worst place ever!!!!
Steamfitter/Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2016
No tools, junk equipment lights on fire pay is so poor. Moron runs the company. Treats people like slaves. Will hire anybody!!!! Watch your back so much backstabbing.
great workplace
Welding Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2016
loved working for this company, just wrong time for me to be living away from Calgary. Would highly recommend working here for anyone looking
Good place to work amazing people
Camp / Travel / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 August 2013
We look after all our craft, book rooms; flights submit timesheets place orders whatever they need ,we look after. I have learned a lot at this job, for me I would say the biggest thing would be if you respect your workers and treat them well they will always come through for you and put in all they have for the company.
I work with the most amazing crew and have been very lucky to have met the people i have. Management has been great and it is like a family here it will be sad to see the end.
I enjoy working so closely with the craft and I enjoy helping people. It has been a great learning and growing experience and i can't wait to begin a new chapter.
Pros
Everything is taken care of
Terrible Company, Incompetent Managment, Disgusting Owner
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nisku26 January 2016
Flat out deceitful. Review the tons of union complaints. Never worked for the same client twice. Treat employees like garbage. Short pay laid off workers. SEEK EMPLOYMENT ELSEWHERE, STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS.

GO BACK TO BC DRIVERS!!!!
Pre-hiring process is frustrating
Journeyman Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Kearl Lake, Alberta25 February 2014
I received an email by a JV Driver recruiter, and I responded, and received a prompt response. I followed up and tried calling them, but I kept getting an answering machine. So I emailed them, which was the best way to contact them. I then proceeded to send my tickets, and proof of hours, as well as passing an A & D test. I was then told via email, that I would be contacted by somebody through the weekend, as it was a Friday. No calls. No call Monday. No call Tuesday. Ever since getting hired I have not had any support by anybody in the HR department. This is a good company with lots of work, but so far, I am very disappointed at how they handle "new hires".
Pros
Flights, lots of hours, good camp
Cons
HR department, Management
steady work
Hydro test tech (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 February 2016
Prefer to work in an English speaking environment. unorganized kaotic at times.
work direction given in East Indian
Materials were cluttered and left in a heap covered in snow and iced up.
Pros
busy
Cons
very unorganmized
Fair Job
Steel Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2013
If your good @ anything expect to be stuck doing it until your no longer employed here.

Great place for a apprentice to learn the basics.

The People you work with are amazing and kept me around.

Hardest part I found was Management was poorly organized.
Idea's were stolen if they were even considered and majority of the time that wouldn't even happen.

You have good attendance, they'll never let you go, no matter how many times you mess up.

Daytime shift seemed to be the window dressing,
Night shift was where the work was pushed.

Nice safety incentives such as hat's jackets even a watch if your around long enough.

Odd BBQ/pizza lunch.

average 48hour work weeks

Weekend work was very rare.
Great Company to work for!
Site Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 January 2016
I worked on two projects and enjoyed and have had the ability to learn more than I could have ever imagined from my time in construction in a site environment.
Fun place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 February 2016
Loved my short time working for JV Driver. Worked with great people and my foremans and bosses were amazing people. To bad the oil field went bunk.
great work enviroment
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB3 February 2016
great place to work everyone is treated fairly and givin fantasic oppertunitys to advance safety program is excellent