JV Driver

QC Inspector (Former Employee), albertaJuly 23, 2014
JV Driver mod yard QC Inspector Jan 2012-June 2012. QC inspection
Gong show
Small equipment operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 19, 2014
Pros: steady work
Cons: to many greenhorns for leadership positions
Guys were fun to work with but management was to green behind the ears and safety only worried about the company.
Pre-hiring process is frustrating
Journeyman Scaffolder (Current Employee), Kearl Lake, AlbertaFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: flights, lots of hours, good camp
Cons: hr department, management
I received an email by a JV Driver recruiter, and I responded, and received a prompt response. I followed up and tried calling them, but I kept getting an answering machine. So I emailed them, which was the best way to contact them. I then proceeded to send my tickets, and proof of hours, as well as passing an A & D test. I was then told via email, – more... that I would be contacted by somebody through the weekend, as it was a Friday. No calls. No call Monday. No call Tuesday. Ever since getting hired I have not had any support by anybody in the HR department. This is a good company with lots of work, but so far, I am very disappointed at how they handle "new hires". – less
good first job in industry
Pipe Fitter apprentice (Former Employee), Logan Lake, BCFebruary 11, 2014
i had a great time learned a lot of new stuff with this copmany. had a solid crew. good foreman and night shift was awesome great company to work for
Enjoyable, Fun, Challenging
Mechanical & Hydro Foreman (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 10, 2014
Each opportunity at JV Driver comes with challanges, supervvision provides assistance for employees to rise up and meet these challenges.
good overall job
Material Handler (Current Employee), Nisku, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: 3 day weekends
Cons: frequently slow
Good people,good hours,good pay.Great when it's busy,lowsy when slow.
productive and friendly work environment
Plumber/pipefitter (Current Employee), Logan Lake, BCDecember 16, 2013
a typical work day at the hvmo site included the installation of pipe spools for float cells etc.. rubber lined pipe spools up to thirty eight inch in diameter including valves. As well working with welders , welding pipe and supports.
Safety:Real joke
pipefitter (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABDecember 9, 2013
Cons: long days with inadequate compensation, long commutes, poor communication, poor management, not enough materials, not enough tools, not enough work, poor moral, too much workers, not enough lunch trailer
Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company.
This site is lead by apprentice with many without ticket
The ratio is 1 journeyman for 5 to 8 apprentices
It's a dangerous job and unpleasant atmosphere.
Human resources is the worst I've ever dealt with.
Crane operator (Former Employee), Cold lakeNovember 11, 2013
Cons: human resources
Before you ever get to worksite you will deal with HR department . They are terrible. If you have questions , you will be ignored. If you are a person that likes to know what is going on before hand....this is not the place for you. I've never encountered in 20 yrs of being in the trades a company that treats there "new hires" like I was treated. Do – more... not waste your time. – less
Great guys to work with
Pressure Welder (Current Employee), Leduc, ABNovember 5, 2013
Lots of work, not pushed to hard to get things done. Safety first always a must,
Seriously Unorganized! Uneducated Foreman.
Journeyman welder (Former Employee), Logan Lake, BCOctober 19, 2013
Pros: loa, can be drunk or stoned at work.
Cons: jv driver is a joke!
If you're an experienced tradesman they won't let you do your job. At JV Driver it's all about who you party and do drugs with! If you don't fit in with that, they will find a way to get rid of you! Overall JVD is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked in my 20 years of experience.
Good work place
Welder/Structural Steel Plate Fitter (Former Employee), Nisku,AbOctober 8, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: long hours
Not honest about production.We had been reassured there would be no lay offs but less than a month later most of us were.
Fair Job
Steel Fabricator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
If your good @ anything expect to be stuck doing it until your no longer employed here.

Great place for a apprentice to learn the basics.

The People you work with are amazing and kept me around.

Hardest part I found was Management was poorly organized.
Idea's were stolen if they were even considered and majority of the time that wouldn't even happen.

You – more... have good attendance, they'll never let you go, no matter how many times you mess up.

Daytime shift seemed to be the window dressing,
Night shift was where the work was pushed.

Nice safety incentives such as hat's jackets even a watch if your around long enough.

Odd BBQ/pizza lunch.

average 48hour work weeks

Weekend work was very rare. – less
Good place to work amazing people
Camp / Travel / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 2, 2013
Pros: everything is taken care of
We look after all our craft, book rooms; flights submit timesheets place orders whatever they need ,we look after. I have learned a lot at this job, for me I would say the biggest thing would be if you respect your workers and treat them well they will always come through for you and put in all they have for the company.
I work with the most amazing – more... crew and have been very lucky to have met the people i have. Management has been great and it is like a family here it will be sad to see the end.
I enjoy working so closely with the craft and I enjoy helping people. It has been a great learning and growing experience and i can't wait to begin a new chapter. – less
Hard work
light equipment (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABJune 13, 2013
Pros: co workers / good guys
Cons: management
move materal around the job site for the different trades
not much to learned, may be a bit more about the equipment
management was a little weak
co workers were good guys older gentelman that had been there awhile
not knowing what was next to do, communication.
running the eqguipment
working here is great
QC Inspector/NDE Coordinator (Current Employee), Nisku albertaJune 4, 2013
Pros: helps you balance a home life too
• Quality control inspections in the steel fabrication shop , pipe fabrication shop and module Assembly yard .
• Visual inspecting Structural welds / piping welds / dimensions / orientation based on W59 / B31.1 / B31.3/B31.11/CSA Z662/Client Specifications.
• Coordination of Non-Destructive Examination for the pipe shop and module yard with Third Party – more... NDE Contractor.
• Performing Module punching on completed systems for integrity.
• Client Walk Downs on Pre and Post Punches.
• Witness hydro testing & pneumatic testing of piping systems

Great place – less
gong show
foreman (Former Employee), fort mcmurrayMay 22, 2013
Cons: poorly run, low wages.
Working for jv driver is as pleasant as a prostate exam. Low wages, nepotism is high and they preach core values without following them. Set people up to fail constantly and its an old boys club. Knee jerk reaction to safety but they do give out nice safety swag.
Very Poor Management
Labour (Former Employee), Cold LakeMay 9, 2013
Pros: pay is pretty decent
Cons: supervisors with no experience
The Managers are so wrapped up in advancing in the company that they wipe their boots on whoever stands in the way. 1 hr. bus ride each way to Cold Lake with no compesation. Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company. They want production but hire double the men required to do the work and then do not have the material to – more... complete the work, then when it shows up PANIC !!!!
Lots of potential but have to revisit senior people responsible for the day to day operations.
You don't dare speak up like they ask you to do. My door is always open my buddy, – less
One of the rare companys which want to employ immigrants
Welder/Fitter CWB SMAW, MCAW (Current Employee), Nisku, ABApril 24, 2013
Good opportunity for immigrants.
50 hours per week.
Great co-workers and foreman's.
This is the one review you need to read!
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABApril 17, 2013
Pros: the money, the guys
Starting from the beginning after you get a call from their recruiter you'll send the necessary documents and complete your drug test. After which you'll receive a welcome package with the info you need. You'll likely get this at the latest possibly moment as most workers here can attest too. You will need to arrange your own flights, they will bus – more... you from Edmonton airport.
Arranging accommodations in remote Cold Lake is challenging because there is a low vacancy rate. Because there is a low vacancy rate this town will gouge you! Expect to pay an average of $1000 for a month of rent and two weeks if your in a hotel. Having a car is ideal as the town has a north end with few amenities and a south end with more options. No public transit and an over priced taxi service. (Avg. $15 one way)
To get to the site you will catch a bus at approx 5:30am every morning. The commute is 1 hour, each way and unpaid. You'll arrive on site half an hour early (6:30am) you will not get paid until 7am. The bus leaves the site at 6pm. You can expect to get back in town for 7pm.
If you like to get a decent sleep you'll have a couple hours of down time. In which you'll be spending it eating, getting cleaned up and preparing or the next day.
The job site is disorganized, most things are a battle, very few materials, even fewer tools. The tool crib is under stocked! Foreman's are good guys and are dealing with lack of communication and work for their crews from management. Management is extremely poor here. There is very little respect for the troops on the ground. They implement changes that make things harder for everyone with little to no warning. Turnover is high here and lots of good workers are leaving. The work for some trades is nearly finished. Carpenters may have work into June.
Safety is mostly rhetoric, and is in place to protect the company, not the employee. Safety meetings are ineffective and all though there may be good ideas, there is no implementation.
On average the pay is pretty good. On a 5 day cheque it's approx $2500, 7 day cheque $3000 and a 2 day is $800. These are approximates and take home numbers. Factor in living expenses. Travel and loa is included in those numbers.
The union (if you can call it that) is useless and does little to nothing to help you here.
JV must have payed to receive a 50 Best managed company designation, or it's a typo, or its an expired stamp. Very poorly organized, very poorly managed. – less

About JV Driver

JV Driver has been providing industrial construction services to the Oil & Gas, Energy, Petrochemical, Forestry, and Mining – Read more

JV Driver Photos