JV Driver Employee Reviews

remorable experience
Journeyman Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  suncor main plant MNU project21 March 2017
A typical work day long hours physically demanding and rewarding at the end of the day.Learned to work hard and efficiently with different people, look out for one another and work safe.Management kept everything running smoothly and efficiently.Work culture look out for on another take your time an work safe.Hardest part of the job traveling flying back and forth to home, and most enjoyable making new friends and getting to see the end result.
Pros
free room and bord no expenses
Cons
Leaving family and friends
Good crew
Steamfitter (Former Employee) –  JACOS19 March 2017
We had a good crew at JVD JACOS and very productive night shift. Always good craic with decent leadership on nights in all trades. I only spent one shift on days before I quit after being separated from my crew. I didn't care for the leadership on days, too inexperienced.
Pros
Good crew and foremen
Cons
Inexperienced upper management
Good place.
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB18 March 2017
Overall a good place to work. I enjoyed learning how to operate the CNC equipment and was always shown the right way if I had any questions. Job security could be better as there was no warning for incoming layoffs.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Inconsistent hour changes for our division, seems like staff was disposable.
Got sold out
Ironworker Foreman (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB11 March 2017
Was there for 2 yrs when yard first opened workef long hours to get project out on time which i was paid well but no life. I was only ticketed guy and foreman at the time and had about 20 guys to manage which i did well. Then they got ride of my superintendent and brought in another one and he brought in his buddies and i was gone in no time. Talk about sold out! Also anyone that can hire chucj as a superintendent can be in their right frame of mine, i forgot more then he knows.
Good solid Company to work for
Electrical Journeyman Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 March 2017
This company kept me working for three and a half years. The advancement for Electricians was not sufficient in my eyes and I never got the opportunities to show them what I could do. Although I would recommend this company to work for, I do not like the fact they hire only Friends.
Pros
Free shirts and friendships
Cons
not enough job security, lack of advancement opputunities
team work
welder (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB5 March 2017
really great bunch to work with.they put safety at the top.nothing was never taken for granted when it came to safety.great team work.never flet pressured to get a job finished.
No Backing From Management
Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 February 2017
Driver preaches their "core values" but it's just a slogan they loosely throw around and don't actually support. Staff members from Safety to Superintendents to Site Managers are not qualified for these positions and need a reality check. The craft workers are good people who actually make the relationships with the clients and do all the physical and planning work for all the jobs but get low wages in return. Understandable it's a slow economy but this company is too behind the times and uncompetitive and would like to see Journeyman wages at minimum wage.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Too many to list
Family comes first
Procurement Admin (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 January 2017
JV Driver prides itself to be a very family orientated company while keeping the core values close to its heart.
The team dynamic was fantastic and I liked going to work in the morning.
Avoid
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacos Hangingstone Project21 January 2017
Very toxic environment, nepotism runs rampant, no way to get ahead, employees in positions that they are unable to do, management especially, if you are a long time employee you have job security, but if you have been brought in as a newbie, there is no job security
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Toxic Work Atmosphere
Electrical and Instrumentation General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB13 January 2017
Drivers has a great safety culture and great core values. They are good at keeping people working through slow times. Management is easy to deal with, people are great to work with.
Pros
safety culture
Cons
seasonal work
Good pay, great coworkers but poor managment
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 December 2016
Managment never ordered materials so we'd often end up walking around site looking for materials. So a job that would take 2 hours would take 8 and we would get blamed for taking too long. Also we rarely had the right tools for the job ( 2 drills for 20 guys building cable tray).
Seriously poor choice in managment as unqualified people are running jobs and it reflects on everyone.
Pros
Great group of guys, great pay
Cons
"Eastern albertan" managment
Productive workplace and good morale of co-workers
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 December 2016
It all starts on a daily tool box meeting follow by the stretching then distribution of work and work buddy. the workplace offers a daily learning experience and practices. the workers are always positive and always on good morale towards to work, management are always helpful when you have questions about the work and need to find tools. the most enjoyable part of the job is the group or people you work around are willing to help and contribute on ideas
Jv Driver is very goal oriented on safety and take great pride on there employees with the great work we accomplish.
Insulating, Sheet Metal (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB6 December 2016
Every morning we fill out JHA and go through our tool box meeting with all crew members. We evaluate each job then begin to start our work routine. I have learned more then I can put into words with JVD, I hope on there future jobs ill be able to be apart of the team and keep learning from them and my fellow coworkers. Hardest part of the job would be lack of communication and diligence between forman and there crew members when small issues keep occurring. Example. (Some crew members not sorting through there garbage and metal then leaving it for other JVD staff to deal with on a continues basis. When we the workers tell the formans and not see them make a better effort into telling there crew it makes our daily tasks more tedious and time consuming when our time could be better well spent. Most enjoyable part of the work environment would be the the family you create here and the fun you have during your work and home time with new friendly people you get to meet.
Pros
Excellent rates determined on experience
Cons
Not knowing how long the job will last
Not a place for fun..
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 October 2016
It was a nice mode yard for hard worker's.
Good condition to work.
Safety always on high priority.
Friendly management staff.
Great group of guys, poor management, no job security
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 September 2016
Worked night shift for JV Driver JACOS job. I had the opportunity working with the best group of guys, everyone worked hard and had fun at the same time. Some of the foremen were awesome too. Pay was excellent.

The bad? Night shift General Foreman loves to micro manage the site. He definitely likes to go around getting on everyone's nerves. Sometimes he would give unreasonable deadlines too. Site office management is a joke. Job security is all about who you know. The best workers get laid off before those lazy workers who know management.

Overall the company is not bad. Great group of guys and excellent safety culture. However it would be nice to see a change in management next time I work for these guys.
Pros
Great group of workers, excellent pay, good foremen
Cons
Terrible General foreman and site office management, no job security
Longest Job Test
B Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku17 September 2016
Job test for B-Pressure Welder was an all day event. Get there at 7:30 am for your schedualed time wait for some time for the QC to bless you with his time took around half hour. Very unprofessional.

Test booths were nice with all the tools to do a test.

Than proceed to do one weld test on 6 inch pipe. 2nd weld test on extra heavy 4 inch pipe. 3rd weld test sch 80 2 inch on a 45 degree.

Next cut all coupons with a grinder than clean and bend. Not sure why they did not cut on band saw and would not allow to cut with a torch or plasma. Had to cut with zip cuts.
Seemed like a lot of wasted time and wasted zip cuts.

After all the time of waiting, welding and grinding I was there for 7 hours.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
To many job tests -3
Good company culture, Challenging workplace
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB6 September 2016
In overall great place to work at
Quite challenging, adaptive to our current economy
Their family values is the greatest
Safety,productive and quality
Piping leadhand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB22 May 2016
Management regulate properly about safety, i'm learned a lot about planning the job, workers are respectful, the hardest time of my job if their is lack of tools to do the job, you enjoyed your job if the the whole team will be cooperate.
Pros
free coofee and tea
Cons
sometimes 12 hours a day
OK if looking for temporary work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
Great operations.
Not permanent work.

Great equipment.
Not enough hours. Could have had us in a labour pool or offered other work outside our positions as bus drivers.

In 9 month period had 3 different supervisors.
Pros
Professional Attitude
Cons
Not enough hours for my position as bus driver
Productive workplace
Systems Architect (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB16 March 2016
fast paced work place.
required to wear multiple hats.
No work life balance.
Get er done attitude.
Team driven. safety and attention to safety is well looked upon
Pros
hockey tickets
Cons
no life work balance