JV Driver Employee Reviews

Great group of guys, poor management, no job security
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 September 2016
Worked night shift for JV Driver JACOS job. I had the opportunity working with the best group of guys, everyone worked hard and had fun at the same time. Some of the foremen were awesome too. Pay was excellent.

The bad? Night shift General Foreman loves to micro manage the site. He definitely likes to go around getting on everyone's nerves. Sometimes he would give unreasonable deadlines too. Site office management is a joke. Job security is all about who you know. The best workers get laid off before those lazy workers who know management.

Overall the company is not bad. Great group of guys and excellent safety culture. However it would be nice to see a change in management next time I work for these guys.
Pros
Great group of workers, excellent pay, good foremen
Cons
Terrible General foreman and site office management, no job security
Electrical and Instrumentation General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB13 January 2017
Drivers has a great safety culture and great core values. They are good at keeping people working through slow times. Management is easy to deal with, people are great to work with.
Pros
safety culture
Cons
seasonal work
Productive workplace and good morale of co-workers
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 December 2016
It all starts on a daily tool box meeting follow by the stretching then distribution of work and work buddy. the workplace offers a daily learning experience and practices. the workers are always positive and always on good morale towards to work, management are always helpful when you have questions about the work and need to find tools. the most enjoyable part of the job is the group or people you work around are willing to help and contribute on ideas
Longest Job Test
B Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku17 September 2016
Job test for B-Pressure Welder was an all day event. Get there at 7:30 am for your schedualed time wait for some time for the QC to bless you with his time took around half hour. Very unprofessional.

Test booths were nice with all the tools to do a test.

Than proceed to do one weld test on 6 inch pipe. 2nd weld test on extra heavy 4 inch pipe. 3rd weld test sch 80 2 inch on a 45 degree.

Next cut all coupons with a grinder than clean and bend. Not sure why they did not cut on band saw and would not allow to cut with a torch or plasma. Had to cut with zip cuts.
Seemed like a lot of wasted time and wasted zip cuts.

After all the time of waiting, welding and grinding I was there for 7 hours.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
To many job tests -3
Jv Driver is very goal oriented on safety and take great pride on there employees with the great work we accomplish.
Insulating, Sheet Metal (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB6 December 2016
Every morning we fill out JHA and go through our tool box meeting with all crew members. We evaluate each job then begin to start our work routine. I have learned more then I can put into words with JVD, I hope on there future jobs ill be able to be apart of the team and keep learning from them and my fellow coworkers. Hardest part of the job would be lack of communication and diligence between forman and there crew members when small issues keep occurring. Example. (Some crew members not sorting through there garbage and metal then leaving it for other JVD staff to deal with on a continues basis. When we the workers tell the formans and not see them make a better effort into telling there crew it makes our daily tasks more tedious and time consuming when our time could be better well spent. Most enjoyable part of the work environment would be the the family you create here and the fun you have during your work and home time with new friendly people you get to meet.
Pros
Excellent rates determined on experience
Cons
Not knowing how long the job will last
Good pay, great coworkers but poor managment
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 December 2016
Managment never ordered materials so we'd often end up walking around site looking for materials. So a job that would take 2 hours would take 8 and we would get blamed for taking too long. Also we rarely had the right tools for the job ( 2 drills for 20 guys building cable tray).
Seriously poor choice in managment as unqualified people are running jobs and it reflects on everyone.
Pros
Great group of guys, great pay
Cons
"Eastern albertan" managment
Not a place for fun..
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB17 October 2016
It was a nice mode yard for hard worker's.
Good condition to work.
Safety always on high priority.
Friendly management staff.
Safety,productive and quality
Piping leadhand (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB22 May 2016
Management regulate properly about safety, i'm learned a lot about planning the job, workers are respectful, the hardest time of my job if their is lack of tools to do the job, you enjoyed your job if the the whole team will be cooperate.
Pros
free coofee and tea
Cons
sometimes 12 hours a day
Good Company. Dobra Kompania. La Compania es Buena.
1.0 - Geomatics Technologist /Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB16 November 2015
Good-natured co-workers make working for JV Driver a pleasure.

Easy going job culture and management.

Unionized pay, benefits package, and paid travel.

No complaints.
Good company culture, Challenging workplace
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB6 September 2016
In overall great place to work at
Quite challenging, adaptive to our current economy
Their family values is the greatest
Great place to work. Clean camps, good food, friendly people
Electrical QA/QC inspector (Former Employee) –  Ft. McKay26 August 2015
I enjoyed working with JV Driver. A typical day would be up early for breakfast with co-workers. After which we would load the buses for the trip to the job site. Days were usually busy with lots of new learning opportunities. Management and Co-workers were good. After a long shift it was back to camp for dinner and some free time. Lights out early.
Pros
Excellent Wages, Advancement potential
Cons
Job security in the oil/gas industry is currently not great
Productive workplace
Systems Architect (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB16 March 2016
fast paced work place.
required to wear multiple hats.
No work life balance.
Get er done attitude.
Team driven. safety and attention to safety is well looked upon
Pros
hockey tickets
Cons
no life work balance
decent
Structural welder (by hand) (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 February 2016
things are slow mass layoffs happening all over scary times for sure
dealt with employees pretty good benefits are good and the work we had while we had work was alright
little better planning would go a long way
OK if looking for temporary work.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
Great operations.
Not permanent work.

Great equipment.
Not enough hours. Could have had us in a labour pool or offered other work outside our positions as bus drivers.

In 9 month period had 3 different supervisors.
Pros
Professional Attitude
Cons
Not enough hours for my position as bus driver
Unstable company. Layoffs start right after date of hire
B-Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB26 November 2015
Ridiculous management. Top heavy administration probably due to incompetence. No idea of workers needs or abilities. No recognition of how payroll is made in industry.
Pros
Countless useless meetings waste valuable time
Cons
Can't expect any security for people with integrity
productive and fun workplace
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 December 2015
Oil-related companies, as was done in the modyard welding.

Meet the partners enjoyed, a good job.

Have no intention of move on. However, the economy is not good that nobody was forced to do rayoff.

Canada came in impressive company.
Watch your back
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB26 February 2016
This is a site where safety will shut down any job because they don't understand what's going on. Superintendents that preach safety as an absolute and than do what ever they want. And they allow the client to put people scared to say no and inexperienced labours in to harmful situations.

Stay away if you have options.
Safety:Real joke
pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB9 December 2013
Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company.
This site is lead by apprentice with many without ticket
The ratio is 1 journeyman for 5 to 8 apprentices
It's a dangerous job and unpleasant atmosphere.
Cons
long days with inadequate compensation, long commutes, poor communication, poor management, not enough materials, not enough tools, not enough work, poor moral, too much workers, not enough lunch trailer
Productive work place ,with great people to work with
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB28 July 2015
Typical day began at 3 AM for a 300km run.

management communication regarding safety and other driver's issues was never better

The hardest part of the job was getting up in the middle of the night to start the day.

my co workers were for the most part very safety concerned people that never hesitated to let you know if you didn't bring your "A" game with you to the work place. They were the best people I ever worked with and have formed permenent relationships with a lot them.

The co workers were fantastic.
Been working for them since December
Apprentice Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB8 March 2016
Like everything about he company and people in the Nisku mod yard... Lots of work to keep guys going through the summer Is a big plus right now