JV Driver

JV Driver Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
This is the one review you need to read!
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABApril 17, 2013
Pros: the money, the guys
Starting from the beginning after you get a call from their recruiter you'll send the necessary documents and complete your drug test. After which you'll receive a welcome package with the info you need. You'll likely get this at the latest possibly moment as most workers here can attest too. You will need to arrange your own flights, they will bus you from Edmonton airport.
Arranging accommodations in remote Cold Lake is challenging because there is a low vacancy rate. Because there is a low vacancy rate this town will gouge you! Expect to pay an average of $1000 for a month of rent and two weeks if your in a hotel. Having a car is ideal as the town has a north end with few amenities and a south end with more options. No public transit and an over priced taxi service. (Avg. $15 one way)
To get to the site you will catch a bus at approx 5:30am every morning. The commute is 1 hour, each way and unpaid. You'll arrive on site half an hour early (6:30am) you will not get paid until 7am. The bus leaves the site at 6pm. You can expect to get back in town for 7pm.
If you like to get a decent sleep you'll have a couple hours of down time. In which you'll be spending it eating, getting cleaned up and preparing or the next day.
The job site is disorganized, most things are a battle, very few materials, even fewer tools. The tool crib is under stocked! Foreman's are good guys and are dealing with lack of communication and work for their crews from management. Management is extremely poor here. There is very little respect for the troops on the ground. They implement changes that make things – more... harder for everyone with little to no warning. Turnover is high here and lots of good workers are leaving. The work for some trades is nearly finished. Carpenters may have work into June.
Safety is mostly rhetoric, and is in place to protect the company, not the employee. Safety meetings are ineffective and all though there may be good ideas, there is no implementation.
On average the pay is pretty good. On a 5 day cheque it's approx $2500, 7 day cheque $3000 and a 2 day is $800. These are approximates and take home numbers. Factor in living expenses. Travel and loa is included in those numbers.
The union (if you can call it that) is useless and does little to nothing to help you here.
JV must have payed to receive a 50 Best managed company designation, or it's a typo, or its an expired stamp. Very poorly organized, very poorly managed. – less
poorly managed worksite
Industrial Formwork Carpenter (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABApril 10, 2013
Pros: well paid carpentry, but similar to any oilsands carpenter, decent loa and travel allowances, most of the people i work with are nice guys.
Cons: long days( on the bus to worksite at 0530, back home in the hotel at 1900, paid for 10.5 hrs.) at least we aren't paying for the bus ride, we really don't work too hard, as there are almost too many workers and not enough work right now.
poor management of human and other resources.

insufficient tools for the number of workers. power and hand tools are notable by their scarcity.

journeyman carpenters doing unskilled labour, labourers don't seem to do anything.

disorganized worksite. flow of materials from one location seems to be at the discretion of workers. eg foreman directs us to " go find some more wood", at which point one starts to wander around asking other crews for their likely looking materials.

security of personal effects is minimal. numerous reports of clothing and boots being discarded while on days off because the individual was thought to have quit, i don't leave anything on site i can't afford to lose.

like many of my coworkers i will take another job as soon as i can.
they say be safe, but what they really mean is hurry up and dont let us catch you
carpenter (Current Employee), cold lake, abJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: lots of future work.
Cons: they rip you off, safety is preached not practised
get on the shuttle bus at 5:20 am get to the job site for 6:20am work until 5:30 pm, catch the bus at 6:00 pm get off the bus at 7:00 pm. Only get payed for 10 hours when they take basiclly 14 hours of your day. They give you $120 a day LOA in Cold lake. so you have to live in a skidded out hotel in order to be able to eat half decent. Most of the guys that work on site are pretty good to work with tho. They will be hiring 500-1000 new guys in the next month or 2. There wont be a hotel room to rent for under $100 a night soon. so think about that before you think the LOA is an incentive!

February 2, 2013

hey im going to be going for employment out there and I have a bunch of questions id like to ask you hopefully you see this and wouldnt mind posting me an email i can reach you at, thanks!

Pre-hiring process is frustrating
Journeyman Scaffolder (Current Employee), Kearl Lake, AlbertaFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: flights, lots of hours, good camp
Cons: hr department, management
I received an email by a JV Driver recruiter, and I responded, and received a prompt response. I followed up and tried calling them, but I kept getting an answering machine. So I emailed them, which was the best way to contact them. I then proceeded to send my tickets, and proof of hours, as well as passing an A & D test. I was then told via email, that I would be contacted by somebody through the weekend, as it was a Friday. No calls. No call Monday. No call Tuesday. Ever since getting hired I have not had any support by anybody in the HR department. This is a good company with lots of work, but so far, I am very disappointed at how they handle "new hires".
Fair Job
Steel Fabricator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
If your good @ anything expect to be stuck doing it until your no longer employed here.

Great place for a apprentice to learn the basics.

The People you work with are amazing and kept me around.

Hardest part I found was Management was poorly organized.
Idea's were stolen if they were even considered and majority of the time that wouldn't even happen.

You have good attendance, they'll never let you go, no matter how many times you mess up.

Daytime shift seemed to be the window dressing,
Night shift was where the work was pushed.

Nice safety incentives such as hat's jackets even a watch if your around long enough.

Odd BBQ/pizza lunch.

average 48hour work weeks

Weekend work was very rare.
Good place to work amazing people
Camp / Travel / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 2, 2013
Pros: everything is taken care of
We look after all our craft, book rooms; flights submit timesheets place orders whatever they need ,we look after. I have learned a lot at this job, for me I would say the biggest thing would be if you respect your workers and treat them well they will always come through for you and put in all they have for the company.
I work with the most amazing crew and have been very lucky to have met the people i have. Management has been great and it is like a family here it will be sad to see the end.
I enjoy working so closely with the craft and I enjoy helping people. It has been a great learning and growing experience and i can't wait to begin a new chapter.
Very Poor Management
Labour (Former Employee), Cold LakeMay 9, 2013
Pros: pay is pretty decent
Cons: supervisors with no experience
The Managers are so wrapped up in advancing in the company that they wipe their boots on whoever stands in the way. 1 hr. bus ride each way to Cold Lake with no compesation. Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company. They want production but hire double the men required to do the work and then do not have the material to complete the work, then when it shows up PANIC !!!!
Lots of potential but have to revisit senior people responsible for the day to day operations.
You don't dare speak up like they ask you to do. My door is always open my buddy,
Great place to work. Clean camps, good food, friendly people
Electrical QA/QC inspector (Former Employee), Ft. McKayAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Excellent Wages, Advancement potential
Cons: Job security in the oil/gas industry is currently not great
I enjoyed working with JV Driver. A typical day would be up early for breakfast with co-workers. After which we would load the buses for the trip to the job site. Days were usually busy with lots of new learning opportunities. Management and Co-workers were good. After a long shift it was back to camp for dinner and some free time. Lights out early.
Productive work place ,with great people to work with
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Nisku, ABJuly 28, 2015
Typical day began at 3 AM for a 300km run.

management communication regarding safety and other driver's issues was never better

The hardest part of the job was getting up in the middle of the night to start the day.

my co workers were for the most part very safety concerned people that never hesitated to let you know if you didn't bring your "A" game with you to the work place. They were the best people I ever worked with and have formed permenent relationships with a lot them.

The co workers were fantastic.
CWB Welder Williams Energy Site (Red Water)
Welder (Current Employee), Redwater AlbertaFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: loa
Cons: management very disorganized
More white hard hats than I have ever seen on a site. Very disorganized management, spend more time moving welding equipment than actually welding. Safety is a joke expect workers to work under suspended loads, never red flag lift areas. Try to punish workings for speaking up about safety issues at tool box meetings. Also worst tool crib, not enough tools and very cheap when it comes to purchasing the proper tools to do the job.

February 20, 2013

Just wondering if you or anyone can tell me how many days you work. Looking @ job posting that says 14 on 7 off. When do they pay overtime? and do you actually work 14 days straight? Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

working here is great
QC Inspector/NDE Coordinator (Current Employee), Nisku albertaJune 4, 2013
Pros: helps you balance a home life too
• Quality control inspections in the steel fabrication shop , pipe fabrication shop and module Assembly yard .
• Visual inspecting Structural welds / piping welds / dimensions / orientation based on W59 / B31.1 / B31.3/B31.11/CSA Z662/Client Specifications.
• Coordination of Non-Destructive Examination for the pipe shop and module yard with Third Party NDE Contractor.
• Performing Module punching on completed systems for integrity.
• Client Walk Downs on Pre and Post Punches.
• Witness hydro testing & pneumatic testing of piping systems

Great place
Seriously Unorganized! Uneducated Foreman.
Journeyman welder (Former Employee), Logan Lake, BCOctober 19, 2013
Pros: loa, can be drunk or stoned at work.
Cons: jv driver is a joke!
If you're an experienced tradesman they won't let you do your job. At JV Driver it's all about who you party and do drugs with! If you don't fit in with that, they will find a way to get rid of you! Overall JVD is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked in my 20 years of experience.
Good company to work for
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Leduc, ABJuly 25, 2014
JV Drivers is a great company to work for. Sometimes things aren't that well organized but with that many people I can understand. Some of the higher-ups in the company have to large of egos. They always seem to have work so your never unemployed unless you want to be. Safety is more about saving the companies butt than looking after the the working men, but have learned over the years how to deal with them.
Fun place to work. Great crews to work with.
Electrical apprentice (Former Employee), Cold Lake, AlbertaJune 13, 2015
Pros: Fun working environment
Cons: Lack of tools on occasion
I enjoyed my time at Cold Lake. Met some great guys from B.C and Newfoundland. Still talk to them today. Wages were fair and the camp was comfortable. Had some good foreman and general foreman. Most were very approachable and dealt with issues as best they could. Would work night shift for these guys anytime.
Carpenter Industral Forming
Certifed Carpenter (Former Employee), RedwaterNovember 7, 2013
Pros: work was good wile lasted
Cons: still waiting to go back to work for them not holding breath
shift would start off with safety meeting exercise task instructions work mate allways in two persons or more depending on work task good place to work would liked to continue to work for them person said after job ended will put me on waiting list still waiting my work not as importent as management feels there,s is
Safety:Real joke
pipefitter (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABDecember 9, 2013
Cons: long days with inadequate compensation, long commutes, poor communication, poor management, not enough materials, not enough tools, not enough work, poor moral, too much workers, not enough lunch trailer
Safety has nothing to do with employees but with protecting the company.
This site is lead by apprentice with many without ticket
The ratio is 1 journeyman for 5 to 8 apprentices
It's a dangerous job and unpleasant atmosphere.
some good people
Operator-Scaffolder (Former Employee), Nisku, ABNovember 18, 2012
Cons: working every 2nd saturday mandatory.
Experienced some bad attitude toward,s out of province worker,s. I was told I quit , while on short term disability. Did not know until I tried to return to work. Had a hell of a time getting U.I. . How ever,the majority of co- worker,s were decent and respectful.I really miss some of them.
Poor Management
Pipefitter (Former Employee), NiskuJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: you get to do the job over and over again, cost plus work
Cons: not able to perform to your best.
They spin a nice yarn when you apply, but after that it will not take long to fugure out that the management must all be buddies from before, they are the best at screwing over the client and employees. Best to look elsewhere.
Unstable company. Layoffs start right after date of hire
B-Pressure Welder (Former Employee), Nisku, ABNovember 26, 2015
Pros: Countless useless meetings waste valuable time
Cons: Can't expect any security for people with integrity
Ridiculous management. Top heavy administration probably due to incompetence. No idea of workers needs or abilities. No recognition of how payroll is made in industry.
Alright
Labourer (Former Employee), Nisku, ABDecember 14, 2014
This company is alright to work for but due to the number of contractors and incidents I witnessed during my time there it is not the most safety conscious environment. They manage to keep most of the accidents off their safety record but it seemed like there always was either a near miss or an actual accident occuring.
Headquarters