JOY GLOBAL

JOY GLOBAL Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Incompetent management
Welder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: will fire staff on a whim.
If you are hard working, competent and care about the work you perform, DO NOT APPLY HERE. Cameras watch your every move(which no one explained to me, my co workers pointed them out 3 weeks in) people are fired constantly for petty reasons and morel amongst co-workers is so low that it makes for a terrible work environment.
Great people to work with, poorly managed.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Labrador City, NLFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: great salary and co-workers
Cons: management
I really enjoyed my time working at Joy Global. The salary, benefits, co-workers were fantastic. The job were on renewing contracts with no opportunity to contribute to a pension and the management was less than adequate.
Good temperary job until you find a more secure job.
Journeyperson Welder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AB, CanadaSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: wages, clean shop & good fellow workers.
Cons: cameras in shop looking over your shoulder. no job security.
Cameras throughout the shop. Big brother is watching. Job application states that you can be fired at anytime for no reason, so you may work there for years and be fired because the new worker doesn't like you or somebody backstabbed you. You will be shown the door with no warning. Also, U.S. management type tactics.
Customer orientated
Senior Material Planner (Current Employee), Germiston, GPOctober 14, 2014
* A continuous balance between supply chain and manufacturing
* I have learned that to ensure manufacturing success a good relationship needs to be created between the departments and to be of assistance to the best of my ability
* Nice working hours
* Co-workers are mostly friendly and helpful
Joy Global, perhaps the worst company to work for.
Engineer (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 9, 2014
Pros: ok wages and good benefits
Cons: the worst managers work at joy
If you are looking to work at Joy Global, please make sure you have exhausted all other possibilities. Bagging groceries, mowing lawns, McDonald's are all better paths to take. You will be treated better working most anywhere else. HR and management are a complete waste of space. Joy hires mostly incompetent managers.

It is a engineering sweatshop. – more... It takes days just to get a simple drawing released. Management is clueless on how to run a company. My six year old has more management skills than most of the managers at Joy. To be qualified to be a manager, no need to get an education on leadership. However, the non-HR and non-management employees are friendly. It is hard to tell who is actually accomplishing work, though, because of how poorly managed the groups are.

You don't want to be on the wrong side of history working for or promoting a company that is involved in coal mining when there is clean burning natural gas. – less
Good opportunity to learn
Group Leader (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 1, 2014
This company holds quite a bit of opportunity to develop yourself and is a sandbox for business development. If you are motivated and willing to take the lead on progressing, there is vast opportunity to excel. However, the political landscape consists of individuals who are risk adverse or who are always looking to tell you why something can't be done. – more... Also, due to the size, it can be difficult to track who is the person assigned to a specific task which delays getting things done quickly. Overall, a good place to call home. – less
Wonderful company for work experience
Student Engineer (Former Employee), Franklin PAJuly 15, 2014
Great experiences while learning in college. Ability for training is there for those who seek it out.
Small company feel with teams working closely together.
Global Component Tracking System Manager (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 9, 2014
Pros: groups and community outreach programs
Cons: long hours required
I have worked my way through several groups and management levels. Someone with drive to succeed can move up in this company.
Decent Company
Field Service Engineer II (Current Employee), Mount Vernon, ILJune 9, 2014
Long hours without compensation or overtime pay. Time spent from home is not compensated either.
Professional workplace.
monitoring and support specialist (Current Employee), Witbank (2), ECMarch 13, 2014
Pros: gained a lot of experience
Cons: massive travel obligations, time away from normal place of living.
Training duties

1: I have meetings with customers regarding training needs.
2: Training schedules will be generated and send out to the customers for bookings.
3: With any new equipment the training manuals will be build and older material will be updated with the less plans, facilitator plan and the pre and post assessments.
4: Customer specific gap – more... analyses will be conducted at different intervals to identify the training needs of our clients to get them to an acceptable and approved level.
5: I will conduct training to service technicians, service engineers, fitters, electricians and service man of our customers and our employees in the following fields:
Theoretical training: Electrical, mechanical and hydraulic. All the circuits, components, the maintenance, installation and removal of components and sub-assemblies.
Practical simulator training: Electrical, mechanical and hydraulic. All the circuits, components, installation and removal of components and real fault finding on the simulator panels and circuits.
6: On the job coaching will take place and measured against Planned Task Observations and Code of practices.
7: I have compiled many Planned Task Observations myself that was approved and authorized for use by the relevant people.
8: Operational training for machine operators and coach them before final licencing takes place.
9: The training mentioned above revolves around, working through the specific training manual after a pre test. When the theoretical training is finished there will be a post test to see what was learned and if the criteria was met.
10. Customer spread sheets will be drafted and discussed internal and with the customer after all the on the job coaching and PTO’s has taken place and the results will be analysed for short comings and recommendations as the OEM.

Monitoring And support duties

1: I will generate our customer reports from our system for the previous 24hrs(Monitoring centre)
2: I will go through the reports and see if there is any data that is not in line with the actual values.(monitoring centre)
3: When there is any data that looks suspect I will contact the customer and work with them in data analyses so we can see what went wrong and we will do that up and until we are happy what cause the deviation (normally this gets done after n failure of a component or when one of our production machines were on stop without a valid reason.
4: Whenever there is an engineering problem with our machines I will go and sit and see how we can improve the specific problem or issue and the customer of that specific piece of equipment is always involved.
5: Throughout the day, afternoon and evening I will be available with any support I can give to our customers regarding our equipment or machines, whether it is sending a field service technician to the customer for assistance, or chasing down parts or sub-assemblies that the customer may need for our Machines.
6: I will sometimes go to our machines and measure the machines performance so I am sure the machines optimization is adequate with the area and conditions in which it operates.
7: I always work very close with the customers so that we are all involved and familiar with what’s happening regarding our machines and equipment.
8: there is meeting now and then with different customers where we discuss how we can improve our support systems which is kindly accepted by both parties.
9: I always need to know in what area and conditions our machines are operating in to get the necessary technicians there to do setting changes and parameter changes to ensure we look after the machines and equipment to minimize downtime but also the supply what the customer needs.
10. Regular performance checks are carried out on our machines and equipment to ensure maximum optimization of our products, all these documents are getting captured and filed for future reference.
11: I will suggest machine operation techniques if asked by the customer to ensure targets are met, when I visit the customer and see incorrect operation techniques I will record it and discuss it with the necessary supervisors, weather the production manager, put or section manager or relevant engineer.( Together with the supplied Performance technician or specialist)
12: When there is a problem with machine drawings on equipment delivered we will discuss it with our draughtsmen and it will be rectified and the correct drawings or info will be delivered to the customer a.s.a.p. with the necessary explanations.
13. cost budgets must be met at all times and you need to be hands on with the people reporting to you and with you work to ensure support takes place continuously to maintain and better the relations between us the supplier and then the client or customer.
14: I will ensure that we are involved in Planned Maintenance schedules, what must be checked and measured and tested and at what intervals. We will also have service technicians available for the maintenance of our equipment for assistance and recommendations. – less
booming company that hit an economic decline in production
Group Leader (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIFebruary 10, 2014
I was a leader of a union workforce. On a daily basis I worked with my employees to make rates at the best cost effective way utilizing lean manufacturing and standard work initiatives. The hardest part of my job was knowing what had to be done but not having the upper management support to follow thru. I am a team player so my co workers and I got – more... along very well and most tended to lean on me for support and knowledge. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the results of my kaizen events and standard work initiatives that I implemented. – less
when people wanted to work as a team it was good
plate conditioning journey- buffer coordinator- (Former Employee), Longview, TXJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: watch your back
have some people that don't understand there no i in team very busy but over all a good place to work
High Pace Enviroment
Buyer (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 11, 2013
Pros: flexibal schedule
Cons: contract work
Great Manager, but this was only a contract position. What I took away from this position is that you can go into an area of Business that you have not worked before and be very successful. I learned a new skill to add to my resume. I really enjoyed my time working as a buyer and would consider strongly doing this type of work again. I was grateful – more... for the opportunity. – less
Great Pay
Night Shift Quality Inspector (Current Employee), brookpark ohioOctober 28, 2013
Pros: pay, lunch events
Cons: job security
overall its a great place to make money but the coal indutry is not doing to good so they are suffering as a result
good union job.
Heat Treater/Storekeeper (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 2, 2013
Pros: union shop
Cons: poor management and layoffs.
pay is great. benefits are pretty good alot of overtime available when the company is busy. only down fall is they have major layoffs everytime the mining industry slows down and call backs may take years.
Joy Global is great to work for. A typical manufacturer, however.
Electrical Draftsman (Former Employee), Franklin, PASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: decent pay for the area. interesting work.
Cons: rounds of extreme hiring and then large layoffs are the norm, don't leave a steady job to work here for more money.
Joy Global has engineering, IT and business support needs as well as manufacturing processes. The underground mining division (Joy as opposed to above ground P&H) tends to hire people quickly to get projects completed and then lays off same during the first down turn.

Therefore job security is spotty at best.
Productive and Uncourageous
Welding specialist (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPSeptember 4, 2013
In a typical day to day basis I get up to interfacing with welding inspectors,welders and management providing tecnical support. Ensure welders` qualifications/welding procedures are current and sartisfy code rules. Laboratory non-destructive and destructive testing of production and vendor supplied products.

I have learned that the industry is becoming – more... more demanding/sophisticated in terms of the fabrication requirements and the capabilities of producing quality products to fabrication code requirements. Succession planing.

I find management as good and the co-workers are good to be working with.

I honestly haven`t discovered anything to be hard as far,though looking foward to enriching my career development and taking it to greater hights in other avenues. – less
Productivety
Technical Informations Engineer (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPAugust 30, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Start the day were you left off yesterday, then it could change because someone found a change on the shop floor. I learnt, you have to flexible and be a team member or be able to stand alone depending on what management demand was. Working with my co-workers was enjoyable as there was a vast age difference between them and sharing my experience with – more... them and guiding them was the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was working with electrical information as the were mistakes and a lot of changes made daily and weekly. – less
Stimulating Environment
Field Service Technician (Former Employee), Witbank, MPAugust 28, 2013
Pros: respect
Cons: permanent stand-by
A typical day at work would be to organize parts and sub-assemblies and then assist to replace said parts with a fair amount of coaching.
I learned many things about customer training, personal training as well as product training.
Management would on occasion attend monthly and weekly meetings with the customer.
My co-workers and I would often be in – more... contact to discuss problems with products.
Leaving the company was the hardest part of my job.
The best part of my job was learning something new on a daily basis. – less
A descent company with a variety of equipment to learn
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee), Longview, TexasAugust 20, 2013
Pros: paid lunch break
Cons: low wages
I am learning a lot of things that I have not worked on before. The constant fear of layoffs have driven me to search for another job.