Joy Global Employee Reviews

full time employee
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 July 2016
I'm a full time employee I been there 8 yrs now I enjoy it I am one of the mechanics who are ask to pull a senior roll of any situational I can work by my self or I can work with others I do enjoy it at this company
Productive Line Assembly with great co-workers
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2015
Great team, good communication. I worked with one other person. pass each other tools. Unfortunately i was laid off when the market slowed down. If not for that i'd have moved on to apprentice at Joy as an electrician.
Pros
Off at 330
Cons
No Overtime
Exciting to see equipment manufactured
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Lively, ON22 June 2015
I've learned how to manage time and keep myself busy. It is very repetitive though. Every day seems like the same day as the last, new occurrences rarely happen.

I enjoy the other workers and everyone is very nice and always willing to help if someone is in need of it.

Some of the machinists need to follow the rules and bring item(s) to the expeditor before they take said item(s) and allow the work orders to process before continuing on. Doing so would allow for processes to run more smoothly.
Pros
Good pay, steady shifts
Good Company But Pay Less
Mechanical Design Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON18 February 2015
Very good company but pay is not very good. job culture is good. Job security is good. People are nice too. Work time is flexible.
Productive and decent place to work
Manufacturing/Assembly Production Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Lively , Ontario12 December 2014
a typical day of work consist of providing assembly floor with the parts to build mining equipment ...dealing with purchasing to ensure parts will meet with production date and deliveries

Being the expeditor with Joy Global you basically deal with everyone in the building

Hardest part of the job is having too much to do for one person

Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing these machines/equipment being assembled and delivered on time
Cons
Lay Offs
Fun
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC11 November 2014
Most of the people were great work was ok.
Didn't get along with my boss
Pros
Home every night
Cons
Not enough hours
Good People, no Job Security
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2014
I really loved the people I worked with in this location. Some of them became like family to me.

I became quite experienced with SAP in my time there.

The only thing I did not like was the lack of job security. People were constantly in fear of losing their jobs and it made for a more tense and stressful work environment. The warehouse was also understaffed for close to 6 months.
Pros
Overtime if needed, good people
Cons
Shortstaffed, lack of job security
Work hard, get paid well.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC16 October 2014
I learned how to build shovels from the ground up. My co-workers were different for all the jobs but in most part we were a team. The weather was the hardest part of job, working in bad weather conditions. Was learning new things about the equipment that we were building. Management was good if they were experienced people the gave you alot of knowledge.
Pros
Good health benefits, and alot of work
Cons
Long hours and away from family for months on end.
Incompetent management
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 September 2014
If you are hard working, competent and care about the work you perform, DO NOT APPLY HERE. Cameras watch your every move(which no one explained to me, my co workers pointed them out 3 weeks in) people are fired constantly for petty reasons and morel amongst co-workers is so low that it makes for a terrible work environment.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Will fire staff on a whim.
Great people to work with, poorly managed.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL7 February 2014
I really enjoyed my time working at Joy Global. The salary, benefits, co-workers were fantastic. The job were on renewing contracts with no opportunity to contribute to a pension and the management was less than adequate.
Pros
Great salary and co-workers
Cons
Good temperary job until you find a more secure job.
Journeyperson Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB, Canada19 September 2012
Cameras throughout the shop. Big brother is watching. Job application states that you can be fired at anytime for no reason, so you may work there for years and be fired because the new worker doesn't like you or somebody backstabbed you. You will be shown the door with no warning. Also, U.S. management type tactics.
Pros
wages, clean shop & good fellow workers.
Cons
cameras in shop looking over your shoulder. no job security.