Journeys Employee Reviews in Canada

Great environment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Scarborough OntarioFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at work would mostly include helping customers find their desired shoes for either themselves or someone they were shopping for. Not only would it be customer relations due to the fact that I am a manager so it also involves processing shoes that are being sent in and out of the store as well as managing a staff while doing these tasks. I have learned how to manage time appropriately as well as delicate tasks to associates while managing to help customers as well as do my own daily tasks. Organization has also been a key part in my position due to so many events transpiring at once. However, even though it may become a very stressful situation my staff has a wonderful energy that allows for my spirits to be constantly raised as we are not just co-workers but rather a family. The hardest part of the jobs would be the long hours due to the fact that management is not only expected but encouraged to work fifty or more hours per week. The most enjoyable part of this particular job is being able to help customers get exactly what they were looking for and seeing how a simple transaction can make their entire day.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Overtime
Interactive and Welcoming environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Working at Journeys was the highlight of a day. It was very enjoyable going to work and being able to sell our product, while having fun. In Mississauga the management was amazing and we were able to communicate our problems in a safe environment without worrying if it'll cost us in anyway related to our job. In Ottawa unfortunately that wasn't the case, management was not able to effectively communicate in a safe environment, it felt like we had to watch what we said in fear of if negatively affecting our job. My coworkers were amazing, very outgoing and caring, they were always there to support you in any situation. The hardest part of the job would be communicating with an unhappy customer, more often then not they don't want to hear you out. However eventually we are able to find a middle ground that makes everyone happy and that was the best part of the job, improving someones mood.
TERRIBLE COMPANY
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 6, 2015
if you would like to have your money stolen, be talked down on, THEN THIS IS THE JOB FOR YOU, management sucks, Pay makes no sense. Just do not work here. You have to make a goal before the end of your shift which is highly unrealistic (700-1,500 a shift) and if you dont make said goal (which no one does, except managers who give out discounts) then you get fired. Simple as that.
Pros
discount
Cons
EVERYTHING
Fun and professional workplace
Assistant Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 30, 2015
As the assistant manager, assisting customers with their needs and wants in a timely and friendly matter were very important. The team I worked with was fantastic. We worked together to up sell customers, make sure customers were aware of sales, or deals that we had going on, make sure the store was in perfect shape etc. The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely the hands on part. I love creating relationships with customers and really taking interest in what they were purchasing. The hardest part of my job was having to be honest with customers about certain products, yet having to do my job properly in making sure my selling techniques were appropriate. If I learned anything working retail, it's that patience is key.
Pros
Rewarded for our selling techniques, noticed for our accomplishments.
Cons
Pays according to job title
Productive and sales driven environment
Retail Sales Associate- Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 5, 2016
On a regular day my responsibilities consist of: counting tills, hitting sales goals, managing staff, fulfillment of orders and making sure I keep all company values in mind at all times.
Lots of great product to sort and experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 22, 2016
Loved working with all the merchandise that I enjoy wearing it kept me up to date with what was new and what was in style. Lots of hard work that I enjoyed.
Wonderful place to work, all staff are easy and a joy to work with!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBFebruary 21, 2016
All employees are great to work with, no matter who's working there's a rhythm that everyone falls into. It's a great work environment and its like having a home away from home.
Unorganized and terrible hours
Sales associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 30, 2015
Commission based. Unorganized and mostly on call hours. When hired they did not tell me it was commission based and I was told I would get a certain amount of hours and they have not met that at all and I just need a second job or a job with enough hours in order to meet my needs.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
no hours
Productive positive work place
PART-TIME SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioSeptember 22, 2015
Journeys was a wonderful establishment to work with. The employees were friendly and positive and were always willing to lend a helping hand. I learned how to manage a cash register, basic customer service as well as how to interact with customers and assist them with their shopping. At first, the most difficult part of the job was interacting with customers, but by the end of my time spent working there, it became the most enjoyable part of working.
Pros
Discount on all merchandise in the store
Cons
Getting called in to work last minute
productive and fun work place
Shoe Salesman, Stock (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2015
At Journeys, they pride themselves on being different and hiring based on personality and work ethic rather than looks. this is a big deal for a retail company because most rely so much on appearance. At Journeys the management team is awesome and fun and everyone is constantly working hard because there are so many incentives and small competitions that go on within the company that make it impossible to not enjoy work and the family and friends you meet within the workplace there.
Pros
40% off everything
Cons
Not a lot of hours to work
Great workplace and team, always on our toes
Co-Manager of Mapleview Mall location (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 16, 2013
We have a great team at Journeys. I think in a workplace that is very important. I enjoy leading my team, and helping them with different Sales Marketing strategies that will help us improve. The key thing about success in my mind, is strong management. With strong management, it pushes the team to be the best they can be, and we all want to work harder. Journeys is a positive environment. I enjoy dealing with customers, and meeting new people everyday. Some customers can be tricky, but those are my favourite ones. I like a challenge, and pushing myself to achieve goals in my day to day life.
Pros
discount on shoes, meeting new people
Cons
working in the mall
Fun environment with positive staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie OntarioOctober 22, 2015
Great place for a part time job very friendly staff with plenty of ways to advance or be rewarded within the company. With new and exciting ways to promote sales and staff giveaways.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Strict sales regulations
Fun, out going work place!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJune 9, 2013
Journeys is a great company when it comes to keeping managers and staff motivated with fun challenges and out door activities, that involves everyone.
They are a very diverse company and are willing to give everyone a chance.
The over all mission and goals of the company are great if i was to say anything they should change would be the salary/benefits.
Pros
monthly bonus
Cons
low pay/long hours
The Journey
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 29, 2014
Everybody that I worked with was a friend so it made the job a lot easier. There wasn't much pressure at all. Every shift, people would come into the store to buy shoes/accessories. I would make sure that the shoe/accessory fit properly with great customer service and make sure they left happy. I learned about what most people wear on their feet and the more popular things that we sell. The managers are great and super easy to get along with. The situation is the same with my co-workers. The hardest part about Journeys is someone leaving unsatisfied. What I love most about Journeys is the great management and friends that I work with every shift.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
lack of hours
Fast paced, engaging and challenging place where I have freedom of self expression
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  DartmouthMay 15, 2015
Journeys was great for a number of reasons: it was my first "real" job, the staff were all fantastic, I liked the small environment, I sold brands that I personally wore and endorsed, and I could really be myself. The clientele that Journeys attracted was a community that I was more than happy to work with (namely young adults) however the surprise older or child guests were challenging but nonetheless welcomed. Journeys is a small, fast paced environment with a high standard of customer service, and I was great member of the team.
Pros
Staff discount, great team, good music, casual dress code
Cons
Limited shifts, late nights, sore feet
Fun, productive workplace
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 19, 2015
As a part time sales associate, I extended help and guidance to customers interested in purchasing shoes. I was to obtain a particular goal set for the day, as well as maintain a particular earned average that was based on the selling of multiple shoes within one sale, socks, and accessories. I maintained a positive, and clean surrounding environment that was inviting to both the customers and sales representatives. I learned a great amount of customer service skills within this job through one on one customer relations. The job was not very difficult, except when trying to up sell or maintain the averages, as customers often did not want to engage. The staff made the job very enjoyable.
My day at Journeys
Sales Associate & Stock (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 4, 2015
- A typical day at Journeys for me was putting away shoes.

- What I learned was how to Receive stock and to work in a fast paced environment.

- Management was Awesome.

- Co-Workers was Awesome.
Pros
shoe discount
Cons
the four shoe rule
I really enjoy working there.
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Typically I receive and shelve stock on a weekly basis. I learned how to work the sku system and how to work really fast because we get a lot of stock. The hardest part would definitely be that it's very physically demanding, but I don't mind. My co-workers and management are absolutely amazing; great people. My favorite part is that it's all run by young people!
Pros
the staff are great
Cons
not enough hours
Productive workplace, friendly co-workers, friendly customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  DartmouthApril 28, 2014
Journey's is a place where everyone can be their own person, let your personality shine while helping others find their perfect fit. It is simply a place where customers become your friends, we get to know our customers on a personal level to create an unforgettable experience. A typical day of work consists of helping customers find the perfect shoe they've been looking for, running drag, shifting stock in the back room and filling display shoes. Our management is great, they take the time to make sure their part-timers are feeling comfortable with the work environment, they are open to suggestions and improvements and are easy to approach with any issue. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with each customer and getting to know each one of them. I get to meet so many great and friendly people everyday, and because I meet new people every time at work, I continuously learn new ways to interact with people. The hardest part of the job is stock shifting, it is physically demanding as I move stacks of heavy boxes up and down ladders for hours. However that being said, I still enjoy every aspect of my job. I'm always learning and that's the most rewarding thing to me about my job.
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
not enough hours available
Positive work environment, Great culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Typical day at work would have been coffee at the start, any stock need organizing, do that. Didn't learn much,retail isn't very hard. management was good, co-workers were nice and friendly, hardest part of the job, and this is nit picking, was when my hands would get super dry from handle cardboard from new stock. it was all pretty enjoyable
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing really