JOSEPH BRANT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

JOSEPH BRANT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Work itself is great, but...
Staff member (Former Employee), Burlington, ONNovember 5, 2013
Pros: smaller community hospital; expanding in next few years; beautiful grounds next to the lake, across from the beach.
Cons: heavy workloads; many departmental & management issues; always short staffed
Overall, I enjoyed my time at JB, and I loved the actual work itself. However, the departments I worked in were poorly managed, and some staff were allowed to get away with some things, while others were not. People were always treated differently.
I loved working with the patients, but there are a lot of issues at that place, so it's "buyer beware." – more... If you're one who can stay out of the line of fire, not get wrapped up in the politics (and drama) and stick to the work, then you'll survive this place.

In the areas I worked, the staff were overworked and tired, and there was always someone on leave for stress-related issues. The workload was excessively heavy; staff who worked at other hospitals said they never saw workloads like that before. It concerned me because over-worked, tired staff can make errors which can put patient safety at risk.

I heard of many times when department managers and OH forced staff to come to work while they were emotionally/mentally unstable (eg a close relative died), physically/medically unwell (including with infectious diseases) or when the weather was too dangerous to drive to work through - things that put both patient safety and staff safety at risk.

After the deadly C.Diff outbreak, infection control improved significantly, but I (as well as my coworkers) continued to see many practices that promoted cross-contamination, which worried me - yet ANOTHER patient safety issue.

One thing that bothered me was that the hospital seems to waste a lot of healthcare dollars on frivolous items. They spent tens of thousands on network phones that cost $900 a phone, RNs wasted expensive medications, and the newest "rebranding" of the hospital apparently cost in the range of $150K or more. Granted, a hospital has to be modern and functional, but when it's hemorrhaging money while patients are waiting for beds, there's a bigger problem - and that problem has been a consistent, pervasive problem that management and administration have chosen to ignore for a long time.
The work itself was great, and I loved working with the patients, but there are a lot of issues at that place, so it's "buyer beware." If you're one who can stay out of the line of fire, not get wrapped up in the politics (and drama) and stick to the work, then you'll survive this place.

I learned a lot in my time there, and professionally, it was a great experience. I wouldn't mind working there again down the road (as long as management and the workload have been improved). – less
Good Place to work for
Occupational/Physiotherapy Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 18, 2012
Pros: nice, clean environment
Cons: short staff most of the time
The grounds at the hospital are beautiful. They have a great court yard with flowers and trees so that you could clear your head when you went outside for a break. It is also wheelchair accessible for patients and their families. In the summer they would have an outdoor bbq for staff appreciation.
staff nurse
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 9, 2012
caring for inpatients , basic care. Learned to start IV's cardiac monitoring.