JOSEPH BRANT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

St. Joseph Brant Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 March 2016
Was at St. Joseph Brant Hospital as a new Graduate in 2003, at this time I knew very little about Nursing and Caring properly for patients. I did not feel that JBMH was instrumental in moulding their new, young Graduates in to becoming well rounded nurses.
I felt the area I was working on, staff were complacent and not willing to help
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Not the type of Nursing for me
great place to work
Unit Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 February 2016
great friendly place to work and room for advancement
I learned to deal with co workers and patients in the hardest times and support my colleagues, patients and families
productive
dietary aid (Current Employee) –  burlington27 May 2015
meal collections for each floor according to the diets then you must cook the meals and deliver to each patient then clean up and give out nourishment.

The staff is friendly and respectful
Great nurses not thrilled with management
Registered Nurse (Geriatrics) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 March 2015
I have arthritis. I did nights for years part time. Later on it became a problem. They insisted that I had to do days. It was impossible for me with the pain I was having. So I quit. Don't care about nurses suggestions.
Pros
love the girls I worked with
Cons
understaffed. management
productive and fun place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 November 2014
-busy and allows the employees to be motivated
- co-workers are easy to get along
- there really is not a hard part to the job but the most enjoyable part is knowing that we're helping others
Work itself is great, but...
Staff member (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 November 2013
Overall, I enjoyed my time at JB, and I loved the actual work itself. However, the departments I worked in were poorly managed, and some staff were allowed to get away with some things, while others were not. People were always treated differently.

In the areas I worked, the staff were overworked and tired, and there was always someone on leave for stress-related issues. The workload was excessively heavy; staff who worked at other hospitals said they never saw workloads like that before. It concerned me because over-worked, tired staff can make errors which can put patient safety at risk.

I heard of many times when department managers and OH forced staff to come to work while they were emotionally/mentally unstable (eg a close relative died), physically/medically unwell (including with infectious diseases) or when the weather was too dangerous to drive to work through - things that put both patient safety and staff safety at risk.

After the deadly C.Diff outbreak, infection control improved significantly, but I (as well as my coworkers) continued to see many practices that promoted cross-contamination, which worried me - yet ANOTHER patient safety issue.

One thing that bothered me was that the hospital seems to waste a lot of healthcare dollars on frivolous items. They spent tens of thousands on network
  more... phones that cost $900 a phone, RNs wasted expensive medications, and the newest "rebranding" of the hospital apparently cost in the range of $150K or more. Granted, a hospital has to be modern and functional, but when it's hemorrhaging money while patients are waiting for beds, there's a bigger problem - and that problem has been a consistent, pervasive problem that management and administration have chosen to ignore for a long time.
The work itself was great, and I loved working with the patients, but there are a lot of issues at that place, so it's "buyer beware." If you're one who can stay out of the line of fire, not get wrapped up in the politics (and drama) and stick to the work, then you'll survive this place.

I learned a lot in my time there, and professionally, it was a great experience. I wouldn't mind working there again down the road (as long as management and the workload have been improved).
Pros
Smaller community hospital; expanding in next few years; beautiful grounds next to the lake, across from the beach.
Cons
Heavy workloads; many departmental & management issues; always short staffed
Good Place to work for
Occupational/Physiotherapy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 April 2012
The grounds at the hospital are beautiful. They have a great court yard with flowers and trees so that you could clear your head when you went outside for a break. It is also wheelchair accessible for patients and their families. In the summer they would have an outdoor bbq for staff appreciation.
Pros
nice, clean environment
Cons
short staff most of the time
staff nurse
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 April 2012
caring for inpatients , basic care. Learned to start IV's cardiac monitoring.

2.6