Johnson Matthey

Johnson Matthey Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Advancement is possible with the right educational background
Technican (Current Employee), Wayne, PASeptember 16, 2014
Advanced in company as much as possible. If my education had been more, could have been up for more advancement.
Great Company, Terrible Supervisor
production technician (Former Employee), conshohocken, paSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: one supervisor
This company has its drawbacks and its benefits. Overall, it was a good experience and the company is strong. They produce an excellent product and have hired outstanding, competent employees that respect management and each other. However, it has one glaring weakness. Their decision to promote a technician into supervisory role. He goes by the initials – more... JWJ, but he refers to himself as the Axman. He refers to himself as such because he has only one talent - telling is underlings they are doing a good job while surreptitiously plotting ways to remove them. It is a blatant attempt to cement his authority within the company by undermining the hard work of others. He somehow finds time to formulate this scheme between his disturbing stories about how much alcohol he can consume.

By some of his colleagues he is known by another name - insert synonym for Buttman. That in itself isn't a fault I suppose. Many people in this country struggle with their weight. But when it causes you to sit in your office all day and not assist your co-workers, then it becomes a larger problem for the company as a whole.

From what I could tell, he spends the majority of his shift listening to music and watching dirty movies on his mobile phone. In my opinion this greatly reduces the productivity of the shift he oversees, which is unfortunate because he has been given excellent employees to preside over.

Johnson Matthey is teetering on calamity with this dishonest (he is also known to steal from worker lockers) individual. As a disappointed former employee, you need to understand that I am biased. But there is no dispute among the rank-in-file, that if this individual lingers in a leadership role with this company any longer, it would be detrimental to the soundness of Johnson Matthey's bottom line. They are opening themselves to lawsuits on many fronts if this individual is not dealt with immediately.

Finally, I also write this review because I believe this time tested company does not deserve to be represented in this way. It can only be helpful in the long run. It would serve Johnson Matthey well to confront this former roofer before they themselves start to cave. – less
Not Great
Process Development Technician (Former Employee), Wayne, PASeptember 9, 2014
They used to hire only High School grads for this work, but with the economy they found they could hire people with chemistry degrees. The work was not rewarding and technician were treated poorly.
Not bad
Quality Control Supervisor (Former Employee), Devon, PASeptember 3, 2014
Good company to work for overall. Tend to promote within rather fast which sometimes results in people being in a position without proper knowledge.
employee
scientist (Current Employee), devens,njAugust 26, 2014
Don't work here. Too much work, little salary. They don't hire, just advertise the positions
Scat Technician (Former Employee), South AfricaJune 6, 2014
Pros: communication
Cons: no career growth
Doing things the right the first time. Participating in 5s, management supportive. Management giving employees the resources to do their job
Home away from home
Process Controller (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPMay 29, 2014
Pros: bonus and pss(profit sharing schem)
Cons: having to work night shift
• My overall job is challenging and it needs someone who is open minded and someone who can think on their feet and outside the box. You need to have a good planning skills to be a success because we are required to have one month focus and an action plan to achieve the set targets. In a nut shell it's a fun job for the go getters and it's definitely – more... not a job for coach potatoes.
• I have learned that pressure doesn't kill anyone, instead it makes you stronger and grow wiser
• The management style here is very fair and homely, as part of management: we believe in giving people a second chance and that disciplinary actions should be the very last resort
• Everyone in this place is a team player which makes even that hardest job seems simple
• The most challenging part of my job is only when we staff shortage because I'll be expected to carry out my tasks and those of my fellow colleague who's not there
• The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting deadlines ahead of time and hosting visitors and customers from across the globe – less
Company as a whole is good.
Technician (Current Employee), Royston, ENGMay 15, 2014
Pros: some people.
Cons: shift work
Training is given. Most employees are nice, large segment of work force are temps.

Reasonable money for reasonable work.
No prospects
Production Operative (Former Employee), roystonMay 11, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: management, opportunity
Very limited opportunity's. NO responsibility told not think a very negative atmosphere to work in.
Productive and fun workplace.
Production Operator (Former Employee), Royston, ENGMarch 28, 2014
Pros: free drinks at break
Cons: no smoking was allowed on night shift only
A typical day at work was basically emptying pallets onto a production line and repacking pallets at the end of the production line. The Machine had to be continuously fed and unfed to prevent to line from stopping. If the line broke down, maintenance was there to fix it and we made up the time making sure the machine and the area worked in was clean.

I – more... learnt quite a lot, how to maintain a safe, clean working environment. I learnt how to operate the pallet trucks and machinery and how to prevent injuries to other operators.

My co-workers had the same role as me, when we had to change to another batch, we would follow instructions and make sure everything was complete before the new batch was started.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the line on some batches as there were fewer parts to a pallet and not enough time to take finished pallets to wrapping machine then warehouse and take an empty pallet to the end of the line.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the changeover from different batches. This involved using hands and brain. – less
Genuine work environment.
Machine Operator (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: bbq-free food.
Cons: laid off.
Typical day at work as a Machine Operator is a fast pace quality environment. Learned alot about machining and tools. Management was always very helpful. Co-workers are friendly. The hardest part about this job was not wanting to leave work until the unit was complete. The most enjoyable part of this job was the environment itself.
Alright
R&D Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Downingtown, PAMarch 24, 2014
Not the most interesting place to work. Worked at small facility which did a lot of work
Upper Management is a joke
Chemical Operator (Current Employee), Paulsboro, NJFebruary 15, 2014
DONT WORK HERE. THIS PLACE BLOWS. THEY TREAT UNION LIKE TRASH AND PRAISE SALARY.
An excellent business framework to drive competency all round (i.e. from Operators to senior,top managers
Superintendent (Current Employee), Germiston, GPFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: passion to drive competency across all levels through business partnering
Cons: growth path
Currently a Training Superintendent - Initially worked at Sasol as Production Specialist and got promoted to a Learning Specialist and SDF. Have a B-Tech (Chem. Eng.) Degree, ETDP Assessor & Moderator Certificates in Training.

Current roles:
•Advises Training dept. on Training Aspects. i.e. legal compliance (CHIETA, MERSETA and ECSA compliance matters, – more... QMS, qualification development.
•Assists during internal Audits by providing required evidence needed by customers in ensuring compliance
•Conduct needs analysis and ensure implementation strategies and monitoring systems.
•Develop Training curriculum for SP’s (Engineers, Artisans MSP’s, Managers), Career Path reviews.
•Advises in terms of learning aspects. E.g. Relevancy of Learning module and courses.
•Assists Assessors as a Moderator – Ensures registration and quality assessment processes for Trainers reporting directly
•Monitoring BBBEE Scorecards and advised in terms of compliance
•Part time work – Part time Lecturer at VUT (Applied Sciences)
•Responsible for ATR & WSP compilation and submissions (Worked with CHIETA & MERSETA) – SDF Role
•Responsible for setting up of Skills & Development & EE Committees and ensures smooth running
•BBBEE Reporting – Data Compilation and advises in terms of improvements of BBBEE Scorecards
•Monthly Reports Compilation of training adherence reports to the Ops Managers, CEO & GM – less
very professional
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Savannah, GANovember 25, 2013
Very Professional Company, Highly recommended for anyone afforded the opportunity to work here
Advancement? HA
Process Control Engineer (Current Employee), Wayne, PAOctober 25, 2013
There is no option for advancement, other than the single route that the company...forces you to take. Basically, either go their route, or stay stuck in a position, great options.
World class manufacturer with great systems in place
Process engineer (Former Employee), Germiston, GPOctober 23, 2013
Pros: subsidised lunches and production incentives
Cons: strict management styles where reigns could be loosened a little
Strict workplace, with strict operating systems. Employees are encouraged to learn and work towards best operating principles. Employees generally know what to do, as well as hierachies of reporting.
clean and new
Process Support Engineer (Former Employee), SkopjeOctober 9, 2013
Pros: free lunch and water
Go to work finish my work and go home nothing special expect from work environment only to be a pay on time.
Clicky and Spiteful
Rather not say (Current Employee), Savannah GASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: if you have a office job, you have it made
Cons: new mangement
If you have an office Job in IT, HR, Scientists, Accounting, EHS, Engineering or are in management then you have it made and will work minimal days and hours. However if you do not have a office job then you need to be in with this good ole boy click or you will work very long hours, have very low pay, and will have no advancement. Management has been – more... changing for the worse, these groups put on a nice face but then they pounce and become spiteful. – less
Great workplace
Refining and Development Chemist (CO-OP) (Former Employee), West Deptford, NJAugust 20, 2013
Began my career in chemistry here, and was taught to never let my standards drop. This is very important to me and I owe my passion for knowledge to the co-workers who I interacted with.

1 2 3

About Johnson Matthey

According to Johnson Matthey's math, it adds up to serve the precious metals, catalysts, coatings, and pharmaceutical industries – Read more