Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

Warranty Administrator
Warranty Administrator (temp) (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 14, 2013
entering customer applications in to the system daily
I learned more about how to deal with my own home furnace and air conditioning system
I absolutely loved my co workers lunch time was the best time of the day for an hour you get away from work even though your still sitting in the kitchen with everyone
hardest part was the commute
most enjoyable was my lunch hour
Pros
the people really made the day go by
Cons
they where on a hiring freeze
A typical warehouse
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  MississaugaJune 6, 2013
Everyday worked at different position, and tried to reach the target.
Pros
coffee break
Cons
doing the same thing everyday
Can be a rewarding place.... But be prepared to be mislead and preached at.
Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 3, 2013
I worked for JCI Saskatoon for about 5 years. I originally accepted a position as a foreman and was given a good wage through the union agreement. Presented with many challenges which I enjoyed, I was rewarded for good achievements financially. A majority of your coworkers will be very pleasant to work with. The company itself is very profit and growth driven, as to be expected for any public traded company. They will do whatever it takes to generate revenue for their shareholders, a good front is put up for ethics and safety, but not perhaps overly truthful when reviewed from within. The greater focus on profit will come over ethics. If you are willing to look the other way a little or wear rose colored glasses... you certainly have an opportunity to advance.
Things to beware; safety is preached by leadership, but not followed by the same leadership (false sense of safety). You will be provided with more than ample safety equipment, but no one to instruct or guide you in the safe use of it (local all the way to the regional safety managers). You will be given a DVD to watch, that will be your safety orientation and you will sign a document/release form of you being oriented.
Leadership will "read" what they are to say to you, coming from the corporate head office during annual events (Vision Week), which perhaps shows that leadership doesn't buy what they are trying to sell???
Overall, they simply lack on being organized. From new hire training/orientation all the way to the execution of work. That lack of organization leads to lack of profit on jobs, and that can lead to a
  more... lack of work/hours for you as a hourly employee. There can be division between employees and work, two employees of equal capability, one will get overtime while the other may only get 20-30 hours. Management will play this game with you until you either receive a lay off or quit to go elsewhere, I witnessed this on several occassions. Like a fool; I was fore warned by previous employees, and in disbelief thought the several instances to be isolated.... I too am living proof!!!!
The longest lasting employees are the ones that have worked for a company before JCI has bought it... that's how they claim to have long-term employees... the rest are managers!!! Have you got what it takes????
Pros
good union wages, uniforms, safety boots, commission paid on profitable work
Cons
disorganization of leadership, inconsistent hours, false front for safety
very demanding
line worker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONApril 2, 2013
overall Johnson controls is a good work environment. however, they just had half of the buisness move south and it is a bit chaotic right now. its very hard on the body and fast paced but i didnt personally mind that
its a good please to work at
BLJC Inc. (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 26, 2013
working there are nice,

the co-working there all are so sweet and nice,
also the department of (CPC & CIBC) account assistance
they are awesome workers
Pros
time of work is flaxable
Cons
people are all very nice
work at accounting deparment are free like an angle,
BLJC Inc. (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 26, 2013
this work hours there are very flexible, as long you finish your job and finish 7.5 hurts then off you go.
and the co-workers they are all so nice and so easy to get along
you dont have to take lunch time (30mins) you can off work early
Pros
you dont have to take lunch hours (30mins)
Cons
office too cold
fun workplace
quality assurance (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 25, 2013
Fun work place, great management and co-workers, I have developed managing skills there.
BLJC
CAFM Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 25, 2013
Good company, career advancement opportunities in CAFM limited if away from headquarters in Markham, ON.
A very good employer.
Operations Director - General Commercial Division (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QcFebruary 12, 2013
Great working environment and the co-workewrs are wonderful. Overall, it's a fanatastic place to work!
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
subcontrator environment
Productive and demanding job
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONFebruary 4, 2013
Begins with a morning meeting explaining the needs of the shift (what orders need to be done, how many need to be packed for the day) We then look at the parts and write a list of any parts needed for the shift. After giving the list to the team leader, we proceed to work. I have learned various jobs, anything from being a team leader, running a machine to wiring any furnace in there. My co-workers are all very nice, we work as a team to get our job done and everyone is willing to help each other to achieve this. The hardest part of the day is if we run out of parts or have defective material. The best part of the day is when we achieve our goal and meet the customer demands, it gives me a feeling of satisfaction of having done a good job.
Pros
the pros are having a town hall meeting once a month, getting to voice what is on our minds and, free coffee and doughnuts.
Cons
the job usually requires a lot of overtime.
Fast paced and challenging environment
Systems Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 29, 2013
Every day is exciting and challenging because no 2 days are the same. Multi-tasking is a necessity. The managers trust the employees to get their work done. There is no time for micro-managing. The hardest part of the job is when you want something put through, there are so many levels of Delegation of Authority that everything takes longer than you hope for at the Head Office level. The most enjoyable part of the company is the fact that even though everyone is so busy, we always find time for a laugh and really must work together as a team to make things happen. Co-workers become family.
Pros
every new project presents new challenges
Cons
so much 'red tape'
excellent place to work great work environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONJanuary 23, 2013
fast pace can be challanging great team members great rewards through out year enjoy providing defect free parts and a clean work station
Pros
many rewards
Cons
nothing can think off
good place to work for
Licensed Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oraangeville, ONJanuary 6, 2013
learned alot,variety in the work (not repetitive).
Management would work with employees
Pros
work with employees
Assembly line worker
Assembly line Crew (Former Employee) –  milton, ONDecember 11, 2012
I was working for johnson controls which had a contract with honda and toyota. I was constructing the captain chairs for the acura mdx. different air tools were used, drills and hog guns for the leather. It was fast paced and hard work but i enjoyed it. The client was honda and toyota so everything shipped out had to be perfect. So my attention to detail is above average. The shifts alternated every week from days to nights.
Great employees and easy to work with
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONDecember 6, 2012
friendly and cooperative employess. hardest part of my job is balancing my personal and work life.
FUN PLACE TO WORK
SECURITY AND FIRE TECH (Current Employee) –  CALGARY ALBERTA CANADANovember 29, 2012
TROUBLE SHOOT AND RESOLVE ACCESS AND CCTV ISSUES
AND ALSO INSTALL ALL $5000 PROJECTS THAT COME IN OUR SERVICE DEPARTMENT
I FEEL GOOD WHEN AN ISSUE IS RESOLVED
Pros
go working place
Cons
too cold in winter-
a good company but to corporate
Apprentice Refrigeration Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 7, 2012
Johnson Controls is on paper an excellent company, a typical day consisted of building maintenance, quality control and attempting to meet the needs of the clients. I learned a great deal about building operations and client management. I found a majority of the staff helpful committed to the job and enjoyable. My experience with management was poor they had no problem requiring you to work 6-7 days a week and often put off the hope of an apprenticeship. The relationship between staff and management was often toxic and un truthful, it was unfortunate that so many good staff were treated un fairly in order to make bonuses for those who clearly did not deserve it. The job itself was enjoyable and often challenging, but overall challenging due to the corporate ideology
Pros
staff and co workers, working at different locations
Cons
management, too corporate
Worked afternoon,learned how to built parts for cars,Jobs are easy.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 24, 2012
Workplace are good.The environment are okay.People are nice and friendly.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
sometimes long hours and sometimes short.
Revolving door syndrome
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONOctober 16, 2012
This company is a joke to work for. They use bill 168 as an excuse to fire people who actually do their jobs. Team leaders back stab you and management has a system in place 90 % temp workers 10 % fulltime . . this should indicate something to future prospects.
Pros
listen to music while working
Cons
don't even pass gas, someone might get offended and you'll get fired.
free breakfast during week end overtime
Labour/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 10, 2012
challenging;learned how automotive plastic parts are manufactured.;co -workers are kind and cooperative.