Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

One of the worst companies I ever worked for
Tech (Former Employee) –  Quebec28 October 2016
Company hired me at a low salary promising a great work environment and good raises. 2 months in the raises were pushed back for another six months with no real explanation. After waiting for one and a half years, my raise even though I hit all my targets did not cover cost of living. As a great work environment, apart from the people who were there for 6+ years and got away with doing much of nothing, the rest of us were pushed to keep up with the backlog. As I said this is the worst company I ever had to work for. I am now gone and in a much happier place that actually cares about its employees and delivers what they promise.
Pros
1 free lunch a month
Cons
Everything else
Security and Fire Installation Tech
Security & Fire Technician/Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 November 2016
JCI was one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Sure there are always gonna be issues everyone wants more money for less work but in all fairness I was paid great for what I did. Sometimes the lunatics ran the asylum but not all the time. No place is perfect but I would gladly go back to work for JCI. I miss my JCI family.
Pros
Great boss great coworkers freedom
Cons
Raises didnt meet inflation
Automotive parts manufacturer. Good people, some terrible egotistical managers and supervisors.
Assembly and Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 August 2016
Johnson Controls is a large and respectable company. Although in its automotive division, there is too much secrecy and employment insecurity. Our contract agreements were always being violated and so much pressure on employees to bend and no guarantee of future employment past the next contract. Last minute information that effects employee security. GM is poison to the manufacturing industry and bully contractors into compliance while breaking their agreements.
Pros
Decent pay, hour and overtime.
Cons
management, supervisors and terrible union representatives.
Poor management. Doesn't follow their own policies. Allows workplace harassment.
Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON21 August 2016
Poor management.

Failure to enforce its own policies unless for management gain.

Too many office employees more focused on "missing egg cups" and gossip than running a business and supporting trades in the field.

As another former employee noted: don't report an accident or you will be terminated immediately.

Ottawa management endorses workplace harassment. Great place to work if you enjoy that !
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management. Workplace harassment
Sweat Shop
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 December 2016
All they care about is production numbers. If you get hurt they come up with a reason that it wasn't job related. Drugs run rampant throughout plant, but they are the only way these poor people get through the day. Best thing I ever did was quit after 10 plus years. They are in the business of hurting people.
Pros
Cons
living the rest of life in pain
Good place to work, coordinating team and members
System Level Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON24 November 2016
best part is coworkers are supportive and easy going
everyday work is almost same. You need to hunt for work if you are done with work.
No job security they can fire you anytime
No team building acivities,
Everyone come work and leave.
*DO NOT suggest anyone to apply here
Was a Great place until GM started slowing down
Assembler, Repair (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 July 2016
The work wasn't too hard on you depending on the job, the people were great , pay and benefits were good and you got to do a different job every hour. I learned far too many things to list while working here. Management was that.. but all good people. There weren't really hard parts to the job. I liked the job but it does't have a future.
Productive and awesome workforce
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON11 October 2016
The best job I ever had. Was very productive. Did 1 hour rotations and did shift work it was physical which I loved worked always worked with someone different through out the day. All around amazing job.
Pros
switching jobs every hour
Cons
They closed down
great place to work.
Assembly Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 July 2016
great place to work, worked with a lot of good people, management treated everybody fairly, being layed off when GM cut the third shift, for me most enjoyable part of the job working the overtime, and everybody worked together teamwork..
Pros
getting rewarded on a good job done./ team work
Cons
people not working together
Production Technician and zone leader (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON10 June 2016
It's is a good company to work for. They provide you with right tools to do your job effectively. This is a place where you can do your job without any fear to be bully because of your color,background, believes,etc since the company has a "zero" tolerance harassment policy. People are friendly and we work as a team rather then individually.
Pros
Good cafeteria
Cons
Great people to work with that support a team based environment
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 May 2016
I joined JCI in 2002 as a Production Supervisor and was supported by the entire team to grow and develop both proffesionally and personally. My career led me across multiple disciplines including production, quality, operations, materials and fianance. My last position was Plant Manager until the Whitby facility closed due to the program being moved to Michigan.
Pros
Team based environment.
Cons
Automotive manufacturing lacks stability
electrician operation and maintenance
Électricien (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 June 2016
troubleshooting of equipment, testing on UPS and generation.performs preventive and corrective maintenance . monitor different system for the good going of our operation. performs infrared test of electrical system. manage our daily ongoing service call.
Excellent company
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 June 2016
Was laid off due to work shortage. Would gladly have remained there and worked myself up to senior management level. Johnson controls supplied parts for General Motors of Canada Lt.
Pros
Management involvement
Cons
Not enough time to complete all tasks
Excellent staff
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 May 2016
JCI was an excellent place to work and they had a very dedicated team in the plant who could always work on solving any problem. I was able to be promoted into a difficult position in the Automotive industry and received a large amount of knowledge on how to run a very diverse plant.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Automotive industry in Durham is dying
High Expectation needed
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 March 2016
Great environment to work. Sequencing of instrumental panel was a challenging process to match with General Motors line production of vehicles. Working in a strong union atmosphere makes you aware of how seniority manipulates the system if the rules are not followed closely. The hardest part of the job is when sequencing goes awry and the numbers don't match, maneuvering is required to get the system back into place.Everyday was a challenge,so you have to be mentally prepared.
Funny mamagement
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 March 2016
Dot't try to get job at Mississauga as managers are crazy and nothing seems right way. Because of mismanagement every one need to double work and no coordination between departments.
Cons
Long hours and double work
Positive Work Environment
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 February 2016
Days were variable depending on priority and availability of parts required for the assembly line.

Management provided more than required attention to job required to complete which of course makes ease of work and efficiency of day.

Co-workers and work environment pleasant.
Busy open office
Front Line Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta5 April 2016
Great offers of interactions with co-workers and clients. Busy all day long, I learned a trade. Multi divisional company with changes every couple of years
Pros
give and take for hours
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON4 February 2016
Good people, nice work environment, and great management. Fellow employees very helpful with training. Management takes a real interest in helping employees advance within the company. My experiences working at Johnson Controls were very positive.
Fast paced
Health, Safety, Environmental & Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2016
Very fast paced with tons of exposure to all areas of manufacturing and stable environment with room to grow and learn. Mostly good people. Strong union presence
Pros
wide variety of exposure
Cons
spread too thin