Johnson Controls

1.9K reviews

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

Can be a rewarding place.... But be prepared to be mislead and preached at.
Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 3, 2013
I worked for JCI Saskatoon for about 5 years. I originally accepted a position as a foreman and was given a good wage through the union agreement. Presented with many challenges which I enjoyed, I was rewarded for good achievements financially. A majority of your coworkers will be very pleasant to work with. The company itself is very profit and growth driven, as to be expected for any public traded company. They will do whatever it takes to generate revenue for their shareholders, a good front is put up for ethics and safety, but not perhaps overly truthful when reviewed from within. The greater focus on profit will come over ethics. If you are willing to look the other way a little or wear rose colored glasses... you certainly have an opportunity to advance.
Things to beware; safety is preached by leadership, but not followed by the same leadership (false sense of safety). You will be provided with more than ample safety equipment, but no one to instruct or guide you in the safe use of it (local all the way to the regional safety managers). You will be given a DVD to watch, that will be your safety orientation and you will sign a document/release form of you being oriented.
Leadership will "read" what they are to say to you, coming from the corporate head office during annual events (Vision Week), which perhaps shows that leadership doesn't buy what they are trying to sell???
Overall, they simply lack on being organized. From new hire training/orientation all the way to the execution of work. That lack of organization leads to lack of profit on jobs, and that can lead to a
  more... lack of work/hours for you as a hourly employee. There can be division between employees and work, two employees of equal capability, one will get overtime while the other may only get 20-30 hours. Management will play this game with you until you either receive a lay off or quit to go elsewhere, I witnessed this on several occassions. Like a fool; I was fore warned by previous employees, and in disbelief thought the several instances to be isolated.... I too am living proof!!!!
The longest lasting employees are the ones that have worked for a company before JCI has bought it... that's how they claim to have long-term employees... the rest are managers!!! Have you got what it takes????
Pros
good union wages, uniforms, safety boots, commission paid on profitable work
Cons
disorganization of leadership, inconsistent hours, false front for safety
Good Company to work for
Fire and Security Service Tech (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2015
• Install /Configure fire/security systems which utilize both core and third party fire/security/electrical technology as defined by the project specification or on retrofit projects while maintaining quality and ensuring customer satisfaction.
• installation/service Door Hardware.
• Assist experienced personnel with solutions to systems problems either troubleshooting the system or advising others on how to resolve problems.
• Continuous proactive customer interactions including an in-depth understanding of customer(s) needs wants and systems currently in place.
• Assist in monitoring project execution plan.
• Order material from both internal sources and /or external vendors,and expedites as necessary.Ensure timely delivery to appropriate location
• Adhere to safety standards and local and national codes, with a high degree of regard to employee and subcontractor safety.
.we all work as a time
.really enjoy working for JCI our leaders a very help full
Pros
a lot of work
Cons
area is to cold
Productive and demanding job
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONFebruary 4, 2013
Begins with a morning meeting explaining the needs of the shift (what orders need to be done, how many need to be packed for the day) We then look at the parts and write a list of any parts needed for the shift. After giving the list to the team leader, we proceed to work. I have learned various jobs, anything from being a team leader, running a machine to wiring any furnace in there. My co-workers are all very nice, we work as a team to get our job done and everyone is willing to help each other to achieve this. The hardest part of the day is if we run out of parts or have defective material. The best part of the day is when we achieve our goal and meet the customer demands, it gives me a feeling of satisfaction of having done a good job.
Pros
the pros are having a town hall meeting once a month, getting to voice what is on our minds and, free coffee and doughnuts.
Cons
the job usually requires a lot of overtime.
Calm environment to work at even when things are not going so well.
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Review KIP's first thing in the morning. I follow-up on any start-up issues first thing in the morning. Verify my manning to ensure we have the right team members in the right places to cover customer demand.

Assist my team in the proper manor, to conduct scrap reduction meetings, and how to engage their support groups.

Encourage my team to continuously look for improvement opportunities.

Daily production meetings, where I would update the management team on issue around production. I would sit with the appropriate manager to talk about production improvements whenever needed.

Excellent team to work with, we have fun doing what we all love doing.

When you feel that you did all of the right things to reduce scrap or increase OEE and the results are not what you had expected. So you take a moment regroup and put together another plan to achieve the goals.
a good company but to corporate
Apprentice Refrigeration Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 7, 2012
Johnson Controls is on paper an excellent company, a typical day consisted of building maintenance, quality control and attempting to meet the needs of the clients. I learned a great deal about building operations and client management. I found a majority of the staff helpful committed to the job and enjoyable. My experience with management was poor they had no problem requiring you to work 6-7 days a week and often put off the hope of an apprenticeship. The relationship between staff and management was often toxic and un truthful, it was unfortunate that so many good staff were treated un fairly in order to make bonuses for those who clearly did not deserve it. The job itself was enjoyable and often challenging, but overall challenging due to the corporate ideology
Pros
staff and co workers, working at different locations
Cons
management, too corporate
Great Job
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, ONApril 10, 2014
A typical day at work would start at 6am, or 3pm. There would be a pre shift meeting where the supervisor would communicate to the team what was on the daily build schedule for the day and how the performance of the team has been for the past days. I learned how to adapt to different peoples personalities, how to increase the morale of a team when things looked grim, and how to become a part of a family away from home. My co-workers were great and our job seemed to be something we all enjoyed. My upper management were nothing else but helping, understanding, patient, and last but not least a part of our family. The hardest part of my job was knowing that our customer was giving our contracts to another supplier in the states, and knowing we were losing our jobs. The most enjoyable part of my job, was my job.
Pros
rsp match, quarterly bonuses, positive environment
Cons
closed down.
Nice company until corporate decided to joint venture in order to exit the automotive business.
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONOctober 16, 2015
After many years in the auto industry the corporate decided to initially joint venture with a chinese company in order to eventually get rid of their interiors automotive division.
It used to be a great place to work,for the last 5 years the Whitby business unit management become a close club of people holding the key positions and deciding the fate and career advance of their subordinates. eventually the work culture turned in a toxic environment place where salary staff lost all the motivation.
HR management the worst ever seen in all my career.
Pros
Great place to gain experience, Confidence to deal with stress and meet tight deadlines, After work in the automotive industry, The work pace in any other manufacturing industries is a breeze
Cons
Little training or mentorship, Inept middle management, Little opportunity for advancement, Rife with nepotism and favouritism
Fast paced and challenging environment
Systems Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 29, 2013
Every day is exciting and challenging because no 2 days are the same. Multi-tasking is a necessity. The managers trust the employees to get their work done. There is no time for micro-managing. The hardest part of the job is when you want something put through, there are so many levels of Delegation of Authority that everything takes longer than you hope for at the Head Office level. The most enjoyable part of the company is the fact that even though everyone is so busy, we always find time for a laugh and really must work together as a team to make things happen. Co-workers become family.
Pros
every new project presents new challenges
Cons
so much 'red tape'
my time at johnson controls was something new to me at the time and I really enjoyed the environment
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONApril 17, 2015
Johnson Controls was company that built parts for General Motors, we would come to work and have a group meeting to listen to any news about Company and to hear of how previous shift was doing,then off to our work stations. the thing I liked about working there was we did 8 1hr jobs so each hour we would change to different areas of our cell area. Management was very easy for.Considering the nature of the job there werent too many challenging jobs if any, very ergonomically correct, and considering how many employees there was I didn't find a problem with anyone(but I wasn't looking for one either)
Family atmosphere.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONFebruary 11, 2015
Formed friendships that are more like family, still in touch with them even though I left. Chance to do multiple jobs including team leader, quality control. The jobs are not physically demanding, or hard to learn, problem is swing shift (2 weeks days, 2 weeks afternoons) is hard on the body and can lead to burnout. Being a union environment advancement is all seniority based, not skill based. Rumours in the auto industry about future is also the worst I have ever faced, constant rumours of job being over, not helped when contract time comes around and management does nothing to dispel them.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
swing shift
Great enviroment for growth and gerat o workers
Machine Operator / Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONAugust 1, 2013
I was working at this place for 3 years and i made a lot of friends, still keep in touch with them, i just hope the management was more serious and professional. Infact they treat people not like human beens more like animals, and anyone who worked there will confirm it. i learned a lot about assembly car seat for Acura, too bad i am still recovering from injuries all over my bod y due to overworking .
Pros
awesome paycheck and benefits
Cons
heavy conseguences on body, muscle injurees, all over the body.
Provided many challeging opportunities for all employees
BSOS (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 21, 2014
Skills required: prioritizing, multitasking, review and preview,
Typical day: check emails, check phone messages, put paperwork into order and work through depending on the days requirement, do A/R and A/P follow-ups, review daily numbers and react accordingly
Management: Many opportunities for personal and career growth were available and encouraged to be acted upon.
Hardest part; No task is to hard if you enjoy and benefit from it.
Most enjoyable: Satisfaction of a job well done.
Enjoyable job, great hours, great co-workers
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 5, 2015
visit each of my stores on a monthly schedule, inventory management, warranty returns and troubleshooting with associates for customer service issues.

Great rep team across Canada, in constant contact to allow us to do a better job for our client across the country.

There really was no hard part of this job, as we could set our own hours as long as we visited each store monthly or as per our contract. the most enjoyable part was meeting with our contacts at the stores each month.
Pros
travel and set own hours
Cons
Contract ended with Client
Warranty Administrator
Warranty Administrator (temp) (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 14, 2013
entering customer applications in to the system daily
I learned more about how to deal with my own home furnace and air conditioning system
I absolutely loved my co workers lunch time was the best time of the day for an hour you get away from work even though your still sitting in the kitchen with everyone
hardest part was the commute
most enjoyable was my lunch hour
Pros
the people really made the day go by
Cons
they where on a hiring freeze
Fun people to work with and most days were great and without any problems.
Assembly Line Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJuly 9, 2015
A typical day was coming in at 10:45pm. Work the assembly line, we had 3 breaks throughout the 7 hour shift and the day ends at 6:05 am. Management for the most part were fair honest people. My co-workers were great and hardworking people and I very rarely every had a falling out with any of them. The hardest part of the job was staying awake throughout the night and the most enjoyable was coming in to see everyone everyday.
Not a good fit. New company set up and brand new systems.
MAC Manager (Former Employee) –  King Street East, Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Mainly worked on project invoicing.
Bad morale because of high employee turnover and inadequate systems.

Management tried to be supportive.

Co-workers were very personable and talented.

Hardest part of the job was working with an inadequate system.

Exciting in the beginning being involved in starting a new department.
Pros
people i worked with. top of the line equipment. extensive training.
Cons
expectation for computer system was not met.
Revolving door syndrome
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONOctober 16, 2012
This company is a joke to work for. They use bill 168 as an excuse to fire people who actually do their jobs. Team leaders back stab you and management has a system in place 90 % temp workers 10 % fulltime . . this should indicate something to future prospects.
Pros
listen to music while working
Cons
don't even pass gas, someone might get offended and you'll get fired.
Assembly line worker
Assembly line Crew (Former Employee) –  milton, ONDecember 11, 2012
I was working for johnson controls which had a contract with honda and toyota. I was constructing the captain chairs for the acura mdx. different air tools were used, drills and hog guns for the leather. It was fast paced and hard work but i enjoyed it. The client was honda and toyota so everything shipped out had to be perfect. So my attention to detail is above average. The shifts alternated every week from days to nights.
Overall positive experience working with a highly managed and co-operative HVAC systems control team
System Designer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 25, 2012
-schedule valves, dampers, room and point controllers for major HVAC systems; such as, schools, hospitals and shopping malls
-contact suppliers for most suitable products for the project
-work with engineers on calculating fluid dynamics for HVAC systems
-design flow layouts for control schematics of individual components
Pros
great management, supportive co-workers, challenging environement
my favorite job
welder/fabricator (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 11, 2012
I got tonnes of O.T. with these guys I wish I could get my job there back in fact. MIg welding galvanized steel most of the day, I learned lots about HVAC equipment and the inside components of the units. Everyone I worked with had a good energy and if I got the call to go back and work for these guys I'd be there in a second
Pros
lots of cold drinks all over warehouse
Cons
n/a

Comment – September 28, 2012

There is lots of overtime due to Ajax management being incompetent. Do they care for their employees? That's the million dollar question.