Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
JHU is an exemplary employer
Sr. Financial Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 22, 2015
JHU has many opportunities for employees interested in career advancement. Benefits are outstanding; and the HR offices are extremely helpful to assist employees with worklife balance.
Great Staff at JHU, management leaves something to be desired
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 20, 2015
I learned much during my time at Hopkins, mainly that the people I worked with were amazing and brilliant and very good astute teachers. The other thing that I learned is that management has no desire to support and encourage young investigators and that is very unfortunate.
medical school is very unfair to PhDs
Post-Doc (Current Employee), MDApril 17, 2015
Pros: there are some really great scientists at JHU
Cons: If you are PhD and you want to become an assist professor, you are not allowed to in medical school
If you are a productive PhD and you tell the truth, you will be penalized and punished.
If you are a MD fellow that practically produces zero data in the basic research setting, aka, laboratory and the boss likes you, you get a pass for not being productive and you are compensated.

PhDs are used as cheap labor to develop and produce data, that then MDs will use for their own benefit.
Higher Education environment
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 17, 2015
Pros: Experience to observe the diligence of professors and staff of ongoing public heath progress
Cons: Unfortunate budget cuts in staffing of support to receive just compensation
Opportunity to work in the public health education sphere and aspect of continuous research in Third World countries, reassurance that there dedicated individuals with compassion to reach out to those less fortunate than the United States
Ample opportunity to learn
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 14, 2015
Being an undergraduate research at Hopkins is rewarding, given you put in enough time. For those of us in the chemBE program, it's hard to find time to set aside to learn outside of the classroom, given our rigorous coursework. However, lab is the perfect place to apply concepts that we learn in class and see how they're being used in the real world.
Interesting and good place to work in Hagerstown.
Data Research Abstractpr (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDApril 12, 2015
I enjoy reviewing medical records, it is always a learning experience. I have learned alot of computer skills with this job as technology has advanced.
Productive place to work
CPSO (Current Employee), Laurel, MDApril 8, 2015
Great teaming environment. Being a non-profit organization, the engineers are extremely passionate about their work.
Great scientific community
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 1, 2015
Pros: great research facilities
Cons: low interdepartmental collaboration
Good people to work with
Good facilities for research
Great peer group for research and support
Rated #3 in medicine and #1 in public health
Work experience
Consult Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Work hours
Cons: Overtime
A typical day at Johns Hopkins was always an experience. I enjoyed my job experience everyday. I enjoyed my coworkers we had a good work environment we develop a friendship and a bond. The hardest part of my job was making sure that you verified every document you received to make sure that it matches. The enjoyable part of my job was talking with my coworkers are getting to know them a little better.
Interesting project
Master Student (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 25, 2015
I worked as a research assistant at Applied Maths and Statistics Department at Johns Hopkins. The project I worked on was interesting and challenging. Through the project, I gain good knowledge of application of statistical tools in medicare area.
Teamwork, great management, patient concentration
Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 21, 2015
Pros: overtime opportunity, free lunches for arriving to work during inclement weather.
Cons: losing overtime if you need to take a pto day.
I enjoyed my time with Johns Hopkins. The focus was concentration on taking care of patients needs. I have never had such a wonderful manager and team. This was an hourly based position. The opportunity for advancement in this type of position was minimal.
Patient care is priority.
Administrative Service Manager (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 19, 2015
A typical day at work is being able to multi task and prioritize your workload. The hardest part of the job is to learn of a patients death. The most enjoyable part is to provide the necessary tools for our providers to improve patient treatment and care.
bigger isn't always better
Development and Alumni Relations (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2015
Some units are great to work in, others not so much. It really depends on the manager and team members around you. The environment is very corporate.
Very relaxed job. Got to meet alot of new people
Research Recruiter/Interviewer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 13, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: the study ended
I recruited participants into a study on heart disease. I had the opportunity to travel and meet many new and nice people. I worked several cardiologist and often enjoyed the perks from drug reps.
Financial business headset/structure.
Budget Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, great boss that works with you instead of against you and has your back.
Cons: it is hard to get promoted, no reconition for for going over and beyond.
Detailed job environment. You know what you have to do and you get it done in a timely matter. Keep focused and prioritize your work accordingly and independently. As long as you do your job there is no-one looking over your back. My manager is great. People will be people and you have to take the good with the bad. If you need help the staff is always willing to lend a hand if they can. The hardest part of the job is not receiving reconition for extra work and staying later that you should to finish what you are working on. The most enjoyable part is most of my co-workers are all wonderfull people and a joy to work with.
I enjoyed working at Johns Hopkins University
Administrative Assistant II/Supervisor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 10, 2015
Pros: i work 8am-4:30pm
Cons: i eat lunch at my desk.
I stay very busy from 8AM-4:30PM. I do a lot of problem solving and I have to joggle a lot of different things at once. See resume.
Caring
Appeals Analyst (Current Employee), Glen Burnie, MDMarch 6, 2015
Nurses and non clinical staff can work together in harmony. Managers can also be non medical and still work well with RN's.
Fun environment in temp setting
Event Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 5, 2015
I learned how to supervise collegiate aged workers and train them for specific purposes/jobs. I was also given autonomy to plan events and enact policies to my specifications.
Nice Doctors Unprofessional Staff
Medical Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Lutherville, MDMarch 1, 2015
Pros: nice location
Cons: unprofesstional staff
Doctors were nice very easy to work with. Management Staff very unprofessional . They make it impossible for you to transfer or relocate to different position. John Hopkins University does a poor job of controlling half skilled supervisors on how to conduct interviews. A lot of unprofessional employees at Infectious Disease Office in Greenspring Station. They change Medical Assistants daily. Tells you something is not done right. Overall Doctors are great. The Study Group there is awesome Team of People. T
Great learning
Research Technologist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 27, 2015
Entry level position in a lab. Learned great biology lab fundamentals and was able to transition skills learned to later employment. Easy access to state of the art technology and equipment.

1 2 3 4 5

About Johns Hopkins University

Founded in 1876 with a $7 million bequest from its namesake, The Johns Hopkins University established its reputation from the – Read more

Johns Hopkins University Photos

Student Ambassadors preparing for an attendance and behavior celebration for the student body.