Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Good place to do biomedical research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2016
I am currently a postdoc fellow in the Department of Oncology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The school provides enriched environment for biomedical research and has great mentors and programs.
Didn't go to school for this.
Endovascular PA (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2016
I primarily do orders, attend clinic, fill prescriptions, call patients, give pre op, post op instructions. Assist with suture removal, staple removal and intra op procedures for two neurosurgeons at JHH and Bayview medical centers. Cerebral angiograma and cerebral embolization procedures.
Benefits
Cons
not enough hands on procedures, more adminstrative
Great Institution
Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 2, 2016
The Johns Hopkins University was an academically and socially stimulating environment. I was adequately challenged in the classroom, the lab and out of the classroom. It was definitely worth the experience.
Good benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2016
Working with Directors and other faculty has given me the opportunity to expand my network and has allowed me to grow my skill set in many different was. I appreciate many of relationships that I have formed with many of my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is the overall atmosphere and culture of my office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere and culture
High Stress Place with many rewards
Program Coordinator, Multicultural Affairs (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 17, 2016
Student affairs is a tough place to work because you learn so much but you dedicate a lot of time. Work/ life balance is difficult but you have to set aside me time. Love the center I work in, very family friendly and safe space to discuss culture
Pros
Free lunches
Great Place to Work
Admission Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2016
Great people to work with. I love the students and the area. A lot of room to grow. Glad that we can take class to gain more skills.
Great place
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 19, 2016
The department provide high level training to young scientist and postdoctoral fellow. It is a great please to live and work
Wonderful top-rated university
Research Assistant to Dr. Lisa Cooper (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 19, 2016
My job was very rewarding and I felt that I contributed to the department. It was a good job. The only drawback was the office, which used to be a closet. Otherwise the job was goo.
I wouldn't recommend Johns Hopkins for non clinical staff.
Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
From my experience, there is a lack of professionalism and fairness amongst some of the leadership. In addition, it is not easy to grow there despite the vastness of the facility.
Nice diverse culture
Clinical Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
Nice diverse culture. The international culture is wonderful. As well as the huge list of people that are very smart to interact and collaborate with.
Upbeat positive environment
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I worked at Jhpiego for well over a year and everyday I felt like I made a difference. My typical day at work began with warm greetings and great conversations. I am the first impression ambassador and it is an privilege to assist my colleagues and visitors.
Good for highly competitive people.
Volunteer Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I was expecting more from JHU. It's not so especial, besides its name. Productive people with lack of cooperation skills.
Pros
Free lunches. Professional co-workers.
Cons
Poor balance life/work. Lack or cooperation between colleagues
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2016
Lot of networking opportunities. Hopkins has a vast majority of people and you can meet so many people that do wonderful things. They are great if you want to go into science because you get very hands on experience.
great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 5, 2016
in my opinion I believe johns Hopkins has great opportunities for customers and staff . I enjoyed my co workers. must were good team players . they also provided great benefits
benefits
Cons
short breaks lack of reconition
JHU is a nice place to work
Documentation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fells Point, MDJune 30, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of running several reports in various computer systems. Determining whether a patient's charges could be released depending on the particular study that they were on. If further investigation into the patients charges were needed an electronic bill was printed and give to the coding specialists.
I've learned many valuable things at this position such as new systems and how to determine study related information from different computer systems. Uploading research consent forms that were faxed through Right Fax to Epic into the patient's chart.
Management in my particular office was not the best. Bad decision making, and upper management can't seem to work cohesively together.
My coworkers are the best - teamwork
I thing the hardest thing of my job is seeing when a patient is on a study and didn't survive.
The best part about my job is when you are able to see that a patient is responding well to a particular study.
Pros
Flexibility/Telecommute work
Cons
Unprofessionalism
Fun, fun, fun
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2016
I loved working here. The staff were very helpful and assisted me with anything I needed. I loved working in the community with neighborhood organizers and local radio stations.
Pros
Health insurance, benefits, salary
Cons
Project ended to soon
Fun and productive work environment, teamwork.
Observational data collector (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21231June 28, 2016
As an employee, I have good control over my job, and my manager trusts me, which is much needed in a work environment. We get all of the training needed for better job performance
Large, urban university with a strong emphasis on research.
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 23, 2016
Worked as part of large, urban university. I worked as a research scientist in a center in the school of public health. I worked primarily on data analysis.
Pay is not up to level of skills
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2016
terrible workplace, pay is low and culture is not fun. management is not up to skill level and it lacks leadership support. Functions in the organizational structure are based on friendships rather than performance. Physicians are allowed to behave badly and are protected.
They company does care about their employees
Contract/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  11100 Johns Hopkins Rd, Laurel, MD 20723June 17, 2016
JHU was a fund, open, energetic and creative environment and made a big difference in the overall atmosphere of a company.
Pros
Great work environment, everyone is pleasant to work with and be around.
Cons
No room for growth or advancement