Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD7 November 2017
My experience working for John Hopkins University was great I met some amazing people and learned a lot of new things in each building I worked in management is amazing.
The most political place I have ever worked
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD7 November 2017
Johns Hopkins had such poor management. They will lie to you, make promises they cant keep and lay you off when budgets get reassessed, no matter your tenure.
Pros
LYNW program
Cons
vacation days, no advancement
decent place to continue your career
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD2 November 2017
Decent place to continue your career. Management is always a deal breaker wherever you decide to work. Very intelligent co-workers but the atmosphere could be toxic depending on your position. Very good work life balance.
Pros
Very intelligent people
Cons
very political
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC1 November 2017
I am a student. I work as a research assistant for a professor in my school. She's super nice. Other student assistants are also very excellent to work with.
best and worst
Medical Office Administrator &Surgical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD31 October 2017
The Job as a MOC was not hard but not having the backing of your Admin team is what can make or break you as an office manager. To walk a patient through his of her complete treatment plan from Pre op to Post op is the JOB, but to not have all ducks in a run which you have no control over makes it unpleasant. Best part was to see my patients smile. Worst part was me having to leave my patients and the Fellows that became family. I just believe in Team work and being there for my team in any way possible. Sometimes it may just be as a ear to listen.
Pros
Great health care
Cons
Under paid
This summer program is wonderful to teach at
Creative Writing Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD22 October 2017
The Center for Talented Youth is a summer program sponsored by The Johns Hopkins University. The students really want to be there and so are very excited and engaged. The administration is extremely supportive of the teachers. It is like a true community. I learn a lot from my colleagues and spend time with them like in a private school. We eat together, play together, and teach the students together.
Pros
Administration takes care of problems right away
Cons
Tiring and nonstop for three-six weeks of the summer, but well worth it.
I enjoyed the job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD21 October 2017
I liked it. there was not a lot of hard things to do really. we always had a different company that comes every few years and you can never get used to anyone
excellent place
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DC20 October 2017
excellent place to work great hours and management great hours good pay schedules were easy to work manage team was flexible lots of overtime of overtime friendly staff great events
Easy slow paced job
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD17 October 2017
Not a bad place to work. Made for someone who can not multitask. I,ve learned hot to mix allergy serum, My manager was awsome, The hardest part of my job was keeping up with expired solutions, and making sure they were done when the patient came in for an injection. I enjoyed being a part of the group that I worked with.
Pros
Easy going atmosphere'
Cons
Mixing allergy solutions
the most people leave this company is because of their manager
Senior Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lutherville, MD16 October 2017
if you are not a doctor or nurse then your issue would be your manager, not being professional or going on a power trip. if you are doctor then you would leave because of the pay, its lower than any other hospital
if you are nurse, you would leave from being burnt out from working so many hours, no break and getting talked to like your scum from the doctor you work for.
if you are a darker race, you leave because of the unfairness, being belittled by everyone
Pros
working for the most well-known hosital in the country, most people only work there for the name to be on their resume
Cons
Little Respect
Typical day at work
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 October 2017
When you inter the print shop jobs jacket already assigned to each pressman.
Take them and do each job according to dates and time then proceed with your day.
Pros
if you read the job jacket you off to a good day.
Cons
if you misinterpret the job jacket then you wont have a good day.
No special comment
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD13 October 2017
Generally things are going well except the payment is really low, but PostDoc is underpaid anywhere anyway. My supervisor is really good and helpful! That's all.
Productive and Balanced
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 October 2017
This workplace is as expected of the Johns Hopkins Univerisity. It functions as smoothly and professionally as you would imagined. The workplace still had its quirks in regards to colleagues and work environment.
Good place-not best work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 October 2017
Amazing facilities and incredible people you work with, however if you are trying to work your way up career wise it can be hard due to strict structure
Great place to work at, great people to work with
Teaching Assistant for Engineering Innovations (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CA6 October 2017
It was a great experience to work at Johns Hopkins University. The environment was extremely welcoming and helpful. If I never needed any help, I was able to get it. The job was not stressful and allowed me to perform my best.
great place to work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD5 October 2017
You will always have room to learn and grow. This is a teaching hospital. Education is very important. Great benefits package and discounts. You will meet great employees who will become like family.
Largest employer in Maryland
Clinical Operations Admin Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD4 October 2017
JHU is a champion of diversity. However they need to recognize encourage and promote top talent within the organization. Also not enough time granted for benevolent activities in the community.
HR Services Sr. Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD3 October 2017
You get lots of freedom and the workload is reasonable. You get an hour unpaid lunch, that's probably the only downside. Aside from that I'd highly recommend.
workplace culture
CME Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD3 October 2017
I have been at Hopkins and working for the University for about 17 years on and off. and i have found that the culture is ok but still needs work as far as racialyl. but all in all the benefits are great and it beats having no job at all.
benefits
Cons
culturally not up to date
Busy teaching hospital
Adjunct clinical faculty for the School of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD29 September 2017
Busy teaching hospital. Had to change jobs because when you have kids and need to more mommy hours, the shifts didn't work for me. But I have always loved working in the hospital in general. Maybe someday, I would go back...but not with young children in school.