Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Wonderful top-rated university
Research Assistant to Dr. Lisa Cooper (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 19, 2016
My job was very rewarding and I felt that I contributed to the department. It was a good job. The only drawback was the office, which used to be a closet. Otherwise the job was goo.
I wouldn't recommend Johns Hopkins for non clinical staff.
Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
From my experience, there is a lack of professionalism and fairness amongst some of the leadership. In addition, it is not easy to grow there despite the vastness of the facility.
Nice diverse culture
Clinical Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
Nice diverse culture. The international culture is wonderful. As well as the huge list of people that are very smart to interact and collaborate with.
Upbeat positive environment
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I worked at Jhpiego for well over a year and everyday I felt like I made a difference. My typical day at work began with warm greetings and great conversations. I am the first impression ambassador and it is an privilege to assist my colleagues and visitors.
Good for highly competitive people.
Volunteer Research Technologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I was expecting more from JHU. It's not so especial, besides its name. Productive people with lack of cooperation skills.
Pros
Free lunches. Professional co-workers.
Cons
Poor balance life/work. Lack or cooperation between colleagues
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2016
Lot of networking opportunities. Hopkins has a vast majority of people and you can meet so many people that do wonderful things. They are great if you want to go into science because you get very hands on experience.
great place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 5, 2016
in my opinion I believe johns Hopkins has great opportunities for customers and staff . I enjoyed my co workers. must were good team players . they also provided great benefits
benefits
Cons
short breaks lack of reconition
JHU is a nice place to work
Documentation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fells Point, MDJune 30, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of running several reports in various computer systems. Determining whether a patient's charges could be released depending on the particular study that they were on. If further investigation into the patients charges were needed an electronic bill was printed and give to the coding specialists.
I've learned many valuable things at this position such as new systems and how to determine study related information from different computer systems. Uploading research consent forms that were faxed through Right Fax to Epic into the patient's chart.
Management in my particular office was not the best. Bad decision making, and upper management can't seem to work cohesively together.
My coworkers are the best - teamwork
I thing the hardest thing of my job is seeing when a patient is on a study and didn't survive.
The best part about my job is when you are able to see that a patient is responding well to a particular study.
Pros
Flexibility/Telecommute work
Cons
Unprofessionalism
Fun, fun, fun
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 30, 2016
I loved working here. The staff were very helpful and assisted me with anything I needed. I loved working in the community with neighborhood organizers and local radio stations.
Pros
Health insurance, benefits, salary
Cons
Project ended to soon
Fun and productive work environment, teamwork.
Observational data collector (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21231June 28, 2016
As an employee, I have good control over my job, and my manager trusts me, which is much needed in a work environment. We get all of the training needed for better job performance
Large, urban university with a strong emphasis on research.
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 23, 2016
Worked as part of large, urban university. I worked as a research scientist in a center in the school of public health. I worked primarily on data analysis.
Pay is not up to level of skills
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2016
terrible workplace, pay is low and culture is not fun. management is not up to skill level and it lacks leadership support. Functions in the organizational structure are based on friendships rather than performance. Physicians are allowed to behave badly and are protected.
They company does care about their employees
Contract/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  11100 Johns Hopkins Rd, Laurel, MD 20723June 17, 2016
JHU was a fund, open, energetic and creative environment and made a big difference in the overall atmosphere of a company.
Pros
Great work environment, everyone is pleasant to work with and be around.
Cons
No room for growth or advancement
Great Benefits
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2016
Great benefits with ample time off to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Everyone receives the same increase each year (normally around 2%) so there is no incentive to do extra work or meet deadlines. Parking costs $120.00 per month so take that into account. Unqualified employees are hired based on their "zip code". JHU has an excellent retirement plan.
Pros
50% dependent tuition to any college or university - TAX FREE
Cons
Location (East Baltimore) and parking expense.
Great Place
Research Assistant, Oncology Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 24, 2016
Working at JHU was amazing it was a great experience. I wish I didnt have to move or else I would have still been work for the university. The benefits for working for the university was awesome.
Fun places to work with
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
I get more knowledge about international status while staying in the U.S. The advisor is willing to help me any problems I have encountered during work-time
A wonderful place to work
Patient Advocate/ Case management/ (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2016
- fast paced environment
- I learned a lot of information regarding the HIV virus
-Management extremely nice and understanding
- Co workers very friendly, helpful and united
-Hardest part of the position me not wanting to leave at 5:00 pm till my responsibilities were completed for the day.
-Everyone at the clinic help one another
Great place with great people
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2016
A wonderful place to work, even though my tenure with the company ended I still wish I was there. My co-workers were good to get along with and the work was satisfying.
Pros
working with people
Cons
Some supervisors showed favortism
Neurology/Neurosurgery
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 12, 2016
The neurology/neurosurgery department has a revolving door due to poor management. Employees are not valued. The department is the only department within the CPA to receive occurrences; ex. If you are involved in a car accident while driving to work and unable to make it in, you will receive an occurrence. If you are hospitalized and you're unable to work, you will receive an occurrence. The atmosphere in the department is very unwelcoming, employees are not allowed to talk during work hours. Employees are micromanaged. Management has very bad communication skills and lacks knowledge of job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
Love the Job, not a fan of Management
Ophthalmic Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
I enjoy working here, love my co-workers and the actual job itself is stimulating. My management team is terrible which makes work difficult sometimes. This is a high volume, fast place with constant challenges.
Pros
Amazing Benifits
Cons
Poor Management