Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Pay is not up to level of skills
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2016
terrible workplace, pay is low and culture is not fun. management is not up to skill level and it lacks leadership support. Functions in the organizational structure are based on friendships rather than performance. Physicians are allowed to behave badly and are protected.
They company does care about their employees
Contract/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  11100 Johns Hopkins Rd, Laurel, MD 20723June 17, 2016
JHU was a fund, open, energetic and creative environment and made a big difference in the overall atmosphere of a company.
Pros
Great work environment, everyone is pleasant to work with and be around.
Cons
No room for growth or advancement
Great Benefits
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 26, 2016
Great benefits with ample time off to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Everyone receives the same increase each year (normally around 2%) so there is no incentive to do extra work or meet deadlines. Parking costs $120.00 per month so take that into account. Unqualified employees are hired based on their "zip code". JHU has an excellent retirement plan.
Pros
50% dependent tuition to any college or university - TAX FREE
Cons
Location (East Baltimore) and parking expense.
Great Place
Research Assistant, Oncology Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 24, 2016
Working at JHU was amazing it was a great experience. I wish I didnt have to move or else I would have still been work for the university. The benefits for working for the university was awesome.
Fun places to work with
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
I get more knowledge about international status while staying in the U.S. The advisor is willing to help me any problems I have encountered during work-time
A wonderful place to work
Patient Advocate/ Case management/ (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2016
- fast paced environment
- I learned a lot of information regarding the HIV virus
-Management extremely nice and understanding
- Co workers very friendly, helpful and united
-Hardest part of the position me not wanting to leave at 5:00 pm till my responsibilities were completed for the day.
-Everyone at the clinic help one another
Great place with great people
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2016
A wonderful place to work, even though my tenure with the company ended I still wish I was there. My co-workers were good to get along with and the work was satisfying.
Pros
working with people
Cons
Some supervisors showed favortism
Neurology/Neurosurgery
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 12, 2016
The neurology/neurosurgery department has a revolving door due to poor management. Employees are not valued. The department is the only department within the CPA to receive occurrences; ex. If you are involved in a car accident while driving to work and unable to make it in, you will receive an occurrence. If you are hospitalized and you're unable to work, you will receive an occurrence. The atmosphere in the department is very unwelcoming, employees are not allowed to talk during work hours. Employees are micromanaged. Management has very bad communication skills and lacks knowledge of job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
Love the Job, not a fan of Management
Ophthalmic Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2016
I enjoy working here, love my co-workers and the actual job itself is stimulating. My management team is terrible which makes work difficult sometimes. This is a high volume, fast place with constant challenges.
Pros
Amazing Benifits
Cons
Poor Management
It is a chanllenging place to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2016
I did this intern several years in the school of medicine. The work is redundant and dull, but it is very challenging at the same time. I worked in the lab department, and the colleagues are very smart and easy-going. Overall, I like the working environment there.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
long work
Excellent work environment
Senior Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for Johns Hopkins. They have a great work culture and there is opportunity for advancement. My co-workers were great to work with and my job entailed working with children, which I very much liked. The experience was great!
Pros
Working with capable people
Interesting
MEDICAL OFFICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2016
I enjoy working in the brain and stroke clinic. I work with many different doctors and therapaist. I have patients who have overcome all types of diseases and illness
Plenty of work to be done and cleaned up
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2016
When all system are communicating with each other work can get done in a productive manner. On any day we are continully corrected errors from our front end to maximize revenue. The learning process is long but doable. Co-workers are good people. The hardest part of my job is the travel time to and from work. The most enjoyable part is when allsystems work and the revinue of a long standing account gets properly processed for payment.
Pros
FREE APPLICATION CLASSESS OFFERED
Cons
THE WAY WORK IS TO BE DONE PER DEPARTMENT
I work in a very busy GI specialty office
Medical Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 7, 2016
my job involves coordination of care for high volume of patients. We use EPIC as the patient database. Co-workers are Great. I now have an in depth knowledge of Gastroenterology and mostly work electronically and/or over the phone. nice supervisor. Watch out for the office politics!
Pros
free coffee, my own office
Cons
office politics can easily ruin the day
productive and collaboratuve learning enviroinment
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  baltimoreApril 7, 2016
Great benefit and management. Opportunity for collaboration, learn research, grow a great career while larning from the best
Pros
opppiortunity to learn and collaborate
Cons
none as of now
productive and fun work environment
Lead Testing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Testing was made easy with great training staff. Once we got out on the school site for testing, the school principal and participating teacher was very accommodating to our needs. When we had questions for administering the test, our supervisor was always accessible by email or phone. Our pay was always received on time. Each year we worked on ways to make the program easier.
Pros
pay, communication, training, work environment
Cons
group members work pace
See other Johns Hopkins University Review.
Instructional Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 21, 2016
See other Johns Hopkins University Review. It will fully explain my point of view as far as working at Johns Hopkins University. Again, Overall it was excellent, the best job I have ever had, and awesome people to work with for 15 years.
good as a stepping stone
Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 20, 2016
good as a stepping stone or if you want to "coast". Limited growth opportunities for staff. Lack of leadership or direction.
Stressful but interesting work
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 16, 2016
JHU is an exciting place to work, filled with smart and engaging people.

It is also high stress. People work very hard and everyone is expected to.
Pros
Engaging and stimulating work
Cons
high stress
Great Place to work
Administrative Coordinator - Neuropathology (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 14, 2016
Each day is a new day for learning. They care about their employees and their well being. I have an excellent boss that is very flexible but is getting ready to retire. I am being proactive in my job search.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Parking