Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Laboratory Manager/ Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD27 November 2016
I enjoyed working here. It's a great work atmosphere and they encourage acquiring new knowledge through workshops and seminars. The most enjoyable part of working here is getting publications.
TA for six weeks.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PA17 November 2016
I was a TA for two three week sessions, TAing for Advanced Robotics in the first session and for Electrical Engineering in the second session.

The time commitment is greater than full time.
Pros
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Included, Room Included
Patient-centered care
NURSE PRACTITIONER (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD17 November 2016
I enjoy the improvement of overall health and chronic disease management, and room for personal growth and an advance practice provider. The benefit package is stellar. The ability to care for patients at a hospital that implements evidence-based practice is also important.
Most enjoyable
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD17 November 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job are the students. Seeing them transform from teens to adults. I really enjoy helping them to navigate life especially since for most of them, this is their first time away from home. I try to help them have a balance between school and life, to make sure they stop to smell the daises.
Great learning environment
Medical Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD14 November 2016
Great environment to learn and work under world leaders in scientific research. Amazing staff and enjoyable workplace.
There is a reason why this is the #1 Hospital in the country
Clinic Coordinator/Division of Rheumatology (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD7 November 2016
I really loved my time at JHU. Truly second to none when it comes to leadership and working with everyone. Although I was a low level administrative person, no one ever made me feel inferior even though these are the best doctors in the world.

The physicians made all of us feel comfortable even letting us called them by there first name. This made you go above and beyond for them. This really was a team environment.

Sadly I moved back home to NY, I will always regret it, because I forgot how bad the culture is in NYC hospitals. Wish I can go back to JHU.
learning
Medical Office Coordinator III, Neurology Services (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD3 November 2016
Excellent place to work but not grow. Great learning experience and excellent if you want to get your education to move forward.
JHU-School of Medicine
Registration C (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD29 October 2016
Work environment is horrible. Management doesn't care about employees. Human Resources isn't any better. Bullying is a large part of the office environment. There is a blame game.

The company is not what it appears to be. Yes, the School of Medicine is the forth top medical school in the world; however, respect is lacking in all areas.

JHU is behind the times with technology. Collaboration between the schools within Hopkins isn't heard of. There isn't room for individuality.

Benefits are not that great. Benefits with the state are better.

Johns Hopkins University will work employees like a dog. Training is very limited.

When considering a job a jhu ask, what happened with the person previously in the position. Also. Ask about the work environment. Ask how management deals with bullying.

Good luck if you choose a job with jhu
Pros
Some co workers are great
Cons
Pay, management, hr, workload, training
Great hospital
Sr. Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lutherville, MD14 October 2016
Daily work is busy. Interacting with the patients and helping them was the best part of the day. Management is lacking compassion or interpersonal skills though.
pay is not enough
Community Health Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD14 October 2016
I love my job and the people we server, but pay is not enough stay.. It's stressful when you cant afford to pay your bills and its no room for advancement unless you go to another department.
Pros
love my team
Cons
cant pay my bills
Lab Life
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD11 October 2016
I love my lab, my coworkers are great but the job is very stressful and the pay is pretty low. The day is pretty relaxed as far as timing goes but expect to stay late sometimes and come in early other times.
Pros
Fantastic coworkers
Cons
Low pay and resistance from HR when my supervisor tried to give me a raise.
Independent field work in clinical research
Regional Research Associate, New Jersey liaison (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD7 October 2016
I conducted lengthy interviews and evaluations of new mothers and their infants. I enjoyed the interaction with different people each day and learned a lot about people of different cultural backgrounds, as I got to know the clients. The hardest part was coordinating the clients' schedules to fit into my work schedule, but I always made it work, even if I had to work late or on weekends.
Pros
independent work, varied work environment
Good place to start
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, Maryland4 October 2016
Coworkers are competent and nice to work with. The administrators are a bit hard to work with. I worked with professors to help them grade assignments/quizzes/tests.
Productive and Great place for Advancement
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 September 2016
I have learned great skill while working for Hopkins. They offer great benefits and the work experience has been great. The training was hard, but once you learn the ropes, you are off to the ropes.
Good place to do biomedical research
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD13 September 2016
I am currently a postdoc fellow in the Department of Oncology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The school provides enriched environment for biomedical research and has great mentors and programs.
Didn't go to school for this.
Endovascular PA (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD6 September 2016
I primarily do orders, attend clinic, fill prescriptions, call patients, give pre op, post op instructions. Assist with suture removal, staple removal and intra op procedures for two neurosurgeons at JHH and Bayview medical centers. Cerebral angiograma and cerebral embolization procedures.
Benefits
Cons
not enough hands on procedures, more adminstrative
Great Institution
Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD2 September 2016
The Johns Hopkins University was an academically and socially stimulating environment. I was adequately challenged in the classroom, the lab and out of the classroom. It was definitely worth the experience.
Good benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC26 August 2016
Working with Directors and other faculty has given me the opportunity to expand my network and has allowed me to grow my skill set in many different was. I appreciate many of relationships that I have formed with many of my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is the overall atmosphere and culture of my office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere and culture
High Stress Place with many rewards
Program Coordinator, Multicultural Affairs (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD17 August 2016
Student affairs is a tough place to work because you learn so much but you dedicate a lot of time. Work/ life balance is difficult but you have to set aside me time. Love the center I work in, very family friendly and safe space to discuss culture
Pros
Free lunches
Great Place to Work
Admission Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD26 July 2016
Great people to work with. I love the students and the area. A lot of room to grow. Glad that we can take class to gain more skills.