Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Learn About Your Lab Before You Accept Job Offer
Research Technician (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Dental and Vision were great, Nice Coworkers
Cons: Abusive boss, No clear management, Low Pay, Health Insurance wasn't good
Lab tech jobs here can be nice, but it all depends on the lab you are working in. My experience was not so great. Pay is low and there is no job growth. You could get experience, but once again that depends on what lab you work in.

My boss was pretty abusive to everyone in his lab. He could not understand that I wasn't a graduate student but someone who wanted to start a career. He gave me homework, pushed me to apply to grad schools, and gave the vibe of just trying to get me out. Eventually he told me grant money ran out and I needed to find somewhere else to work. My coworkers were lovely people, but all of them left the lab. He promised me projects, then never went through with any of them. I left learning nothing and feeling horrible.

So, your lab experience may be different from mine, but it is a gamble.

Also, parking gets expensive. Homewood is a safe campus, though, and there were never many security problems.
Good place, low pay
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 27, 2016
Surrounded by good people. But low pay. There are many talented people here so worth working here for a few years. Job stability can be an issue because most jobs are dependent on outside funding.
over all positive experience working at JHU
Associate Director (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2016
I have enjoyed working at Hopkins. I have learned and grown a lot over the years. I worked well with my coworkers and management.
A good place to learn a lot.
Assistant student (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 21, 2016
Amazing place where I have to opportunity to learn a lot. Good people. People are considerate and try to teach you everything they can. I dealt with PCR, extracting DNA murine animals for research on Down syndrome.
diverse co workers
Research Assistant II (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: network, unique events, over all great benefits
Cons: same 9-5, 401k dont match till ur 35
Usual 9-5 . Wish SOM used more Work life offers. Some jobs really could be done from home or with more flexible hours. You will find some days you are jus milking the clock and other days you cant catch a breath. Management is pretty nice. they all support the pursuit of higher education and they offer tuition reimbursement. A good starter company and a good place if you know exactly what you want to do. Lots of internal administration positions. not exactly the best place for growth and promotion. That's a role of the dice. People do stay here till they die or finally decide to retire out of a position... Also , ur off when the school is out for school days.
Great Place for High School Students to Learn
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2016
I learned a great deal working in the lab at Johns Hopkins. It was a good experience for my first job. Everyone was very nice to me.
great place for learning new skills
Surgical veterinary technician / Lab coordinator (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: education
Cons: advancement with pay increases
My day varies way to much to say anything
I could be doing office work, or be helping with cases all day
Some days I could also be working with research patients
Fun consulting for companies
Manager: Finance & Consultancy (Former Employee), AccraJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: marketing was more demanding
This is one of the best jobs ever happen to me. Consulting and managing projects of other companies all Ghana was a the best experience that exposed me to different people with various ideas and approach to work.

Life was more satisfying working for this company.
Overview
Research Program Assistant II (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 8, 2016
Great work environment. Management us very laid back. Co-workers are very close with each other. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to get out of the office and complete home visits.
Great place with brilliant people
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 31, 2015
Highly respected individual intelligence. High independence work. Great team work and support. Flexible hours. Brilliant colleagues.
Love working at JHU. Truthly miss working at hopkins. I love the opportinity that they give the younger kids in the community.
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 21, 2015
Pros: Learning every day.
Cons: U may have to give a little more of yourself. Patients and time.
I love working with the patients. As well as the doctors and nurses. Hopkins is one for the hospital that give the young people in the community a start at life on a good note. I thank Hopkins for the chance at get back in the grove of thing. The most enjoyable things with working at Hopkins is the patients. U HAVE TO LOVE THE> AND THE THINGS U LEARN THERE ON A EVERYDAY BASES. When the doctor are will to teach u something as long as your willing to learn. They help u to better yourself in your field or help to send u to school to better your field. Go JHU.
Great place to work at with excellent staff.
Invited Researcher (Former Employee), Maryland Hall, ChemBEDecember 8, 2015
A typical day at work started with a good laugh with co-workers/friends, followed by lab experiments. Lunch break was spent preferably with co-workers/friends and again followed by lab work. If possible, another good laugh before leaving.
I learned many microfabrication techniques and a little bit of different languages.
The management and staff were very nice. The co-workers/friends were the best. The hardest part of the job was when something didn't work or went wrong (it was job related and not Hopkins related).
The most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself, co-workers/friends and group meetings.
CO Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 16, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
work 8:30-5:00pm monday- friday
process all authorizations and process medical records for patients and scanning documnts, faxing, filing
Had a great learning experience
Research Intern - Pediatric Hematology (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2015
The Department of Hematology was so great to work with. The PIs were very helpful and eager to help us learn. They made us feel welcome and important to the work of their research and I walked away from the experience having so much more knowledge on the running of a laboratory and collaborations with other researchers.
Fast pase, fun learning environment
Computer Deployment Technician (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 11, 2015
Pros: Free parking
Cons: The length of the contract
A normal day consisted of organizing the incoming pallets, unboxing the computers then loading them on a cart to be deployed. After the organizing the computer, we then had to go to each floor in the hospital and install a minimum of 10 computers a night. I had no issue with the demand and after my performance I was considered the team leader in installs.
Back office ran like 1980s
Student Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 6, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Environment
Cons: Management, No advancment
Old systems, and the lack of departmental level IT assistance makes it very hard to integrate. No room for advancement within the department.

Responsible for last names F-k, bursar responsibilities.
Not a good place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 22, 2015
John Hopkins Hospital has the rudest doctors and nurses.fhgvdfihgikdsnbfkldbvljsdbidksbvklsdbvjlsdbvsdjklbklsdbvkldbvkldsbnvkljsdnvbksdlbvlsjda
Good departments to work for, Organization good.
Academic Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 19, 2015
Good department staff. Much to learn, rich historical organization. Compensation is not on par with what it should be however. Upward mobility is challenging.

However there are great staff and overall teams are good to learn from and work with. you can be challenged and find great resources there.
Great learning experience
Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 13, 2015
Pros: working with children
Cons: Study ended before we where finished collecting data.
I love to work with children and this study gave me the opportunity to work with children all the time.I learned to manage a clinical office and how to keep a budget all while helping under privileged children see better.
I love this job !
Intrastaff CNA (Current Employee), Lutherville-Timonium, MDOctober 13, 2015
Pros: Make your own schedule . Work on different units . Up to 40hrs overtime a week .
Cons: Certain units are kind of tough .
I work for Jhh Intrastaff and it's the best job I have ever had . We can work whatever hours and days we want , we get a lot of experience working on different units . We only get up to two patients at a time so the work is super easy ! And the pay is good .