Johns Hopkins University

Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Experience
Researcher (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 25, 2015
I worked here for the summer. The professors were nice and the graduate students were amazing. I learned a great deal and will never forget my time spent here.
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: opportunities; tuition assistance
Cons: parking very expensive; crime on and around campus
JH is so massive it is a difficult place to learn to navigate. Because most departments have their own way of operating, it is difficult working on system-wide initiatives. As with any mega institution, it has a lot of opportunities to move within the system.
Very prestigious institution
Emergency Management Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MDJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: very intelligent learning environment
Cons: in-doors all day.
A typical day could be performing a hospital GAP analysis
on the Emergency Management Program, or communicating with the Maryland Department of Mental Health and Hygiene. Or Organizing full-scale, partial or table top emergency drills or fire evacuation scenarios with hospital staff members and the county fire and rescue personnel.
Great place to get training
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 13, 2015
A great place to receive doctoral training. People are friendly and genuine and always willing to help!
Highly Motivated
Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: flexibilty, great co-workers
Cons: commute
Organized tasks, desk and mind at all times.
Detailed orientated,
Learned that you must pace yourself as to importance.
Proven can work under pressure.
Hardest part of job would be slow responses from my emails with the information needed.
The most enjoyable part is the fact that I am number driven and push myself to collect a greater amount each month.
Good
Faculty-Research Associate, Cardiology (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2015
I do research, write grants, go to lectures.
Good environment to create collaborations. The work place varies depending on the people.
Advancement is very difficult.
Benefits for faculty are good. Salary not so good.
Inspiring place to work.
Research Technologist (Current Employee), Pediatric ImmunologyJanuary 5, 2015
Nice place to start off after graduating college. Gain experience and explore possible other career paths.
Good Place to work
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 1, 2015
my typical day consist of checking patients in and out and making outside appointment for the patients.
The benefits are great
Medical Management Assistant (Current Employee), Glen Burnie, MDDecember 31, 2014
Working for this company has really opened my eyes. The benefits are great, but the pay isn't very good.
Productive work place and talented people I worked with.
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Mount Washington Baltimore MDDecember 24, 2014
monitor 60 Exchange servers, around 800 databases, Over 50,000 email accounts, change out dead hard drives, create mounts points for the databases, carve out the storage for the databases, install windows server 2008R2 and 2012 OS, install exchange software, take supports calls for customers and configure Outlook client.
Challenging but rewarding atmosphere
Clinic Manager (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 15, 2014
Very fast-paced environment that sometimes impeeds on personal/family time. Workload is volumous yet challenging. Great place to network and meet people. Advancement is difficult unless you are known.
can be ok place to work
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 13, 2014
Pros: the name looks good on resumes
Cons: low pay and bad benefits
Depending on where you work it can be a great place. The pay stinks. The university is very low paying and benefits are terrible. It also depends on your manager. Some managers abuse their authority.
Challenging and there are a lot opportunities
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: rich source for self-improvement, flexible working schedule, a lot of after-work activities
Cons: benefit
Flexible time schedule. As long as you finish you work, you can have dental and medical appointment during the day. There are a lot of techniques to learn. Online courses and lectures are free to attend. The hardest part is that when times come to my advisor's funding applying season, there would be a lot of pressure on shoulder to obtain valuable data and work after work to get things done.
Ok place to work, I've worked at better places
Patient Access Specialist II/PSC (Current Employee), Baltimore, MdDecember 8, 2014
Typical day for me was sitting at a desk registering patients. By working here I learned that it's not what you know it's who you know. The management here is terrible, if your not one of the favorites you're no one. Co-workers were nice, the hardest part of my job was keeping my mouth shut about things that bothered me. There really isn't anything enjoyable about working here.
Culture Behind the Times, Management is clueless
IT Professional (Former Employee), Johns Hopkins Healthcare, Glen Burnie, MDNovember 28, 2014
Pros: not in baltimore
Cons: management sticks together, but is clueless.
Very Clicky, either you are one of the cool kids or not. Toxic work environment, management looks for issues where there aren't any, makes for unhappy place to work.
good work life balance
Sr.Systems Engineer/Team Lead (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits, no micro management, no strict deadlines
Cons: promotion is not always based on merits. office politics
good work life balance at Hopkins.

Work can be project based, but no micro management.

Co-workers are great and for the most part get along ok

Hardest part of the job is not knowing who to actually trust. seems like everyone wants to get ahead at any cost

Learned to always be aware of office politics and know what to say at any point in time.
very good company
Senior Professional Staff (Current Employee), Laurel, MDNovember 19, 2014
Nice people, nice attitudes, professional attitude, great benefits, ability to get classes on site, gym, shuttles, great diversity, great job security, culture, compensation, flexibility, benefits.
great
Associate Research Professor (Current Employee), ORNovember 16, 2014
great place to work at !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Academic environment with high conpetition
Senior Research Program Coordinator/Statistician (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 11, 2014
Pros: healthcare
On the surface a fun place to work, but the environment is unfriendly and the competition is fierce
Program that has a large outreach to the Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania area
Odyssey Registrar (Current Employee), Baltimore, MarylandNovember 9, 2014
Pros: customer service, hands on set-up
Cons: limited web based outlook
* A typical work days includes registering participants for non-credit
liberal arts programs. Customer service is a large part of my job
also.
* This job has taught me that life not only continues when you
retire, but you actually thrive and take more opportunities to learn
for personal enrichment.
* I am responsible for student workers who assist Instructors with
classroom and one-on-one setup.
* This organization has a small staff, but we are all very hands
on with production of creating a successful work environment.
* The most challenging part of my job is assisting potential students
who may not have the income to afford program costs and trying
to work with them, so that they are able to enroll in classes.
* The most rewarding part of my job, is when students comment on
their experience with this program. I feel I am the first contact with
students and I have an influence for either a positive or negative
outcome.

1 2 3 4 5

About Johns Hopkins University

Founded in 1876 with a $7 million bequest from its namesake, The Johns Hopkins University established its reputation from the – Read more

Johns Hopkins University Photos