Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

productive and calm
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD21 September 2017
The atmosphere would be calm at times. I've learn to be extra o alert especially in the jhu area.The management was sort of awful very rude people. The hardest part of my job was direction unfamiliar people to a certain unit.The most enjoyable was just observing everything around the premises.
Pros
nearby food store
Cons
short breaks, poor benefits
Lack of clear process
Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD21 September 2017
JHU is too decentralized. Efforts to centralize the organization are difficult and slow leading to confusion. Without proper leadership staff is left to figuring out work arounds.
Good learning experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD19 September 2017
This was a part time working experience since I am still a student. Got to learn a lot during these 2 years at Hopkins. Very friendly and diverse population.
Work Review
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MD16 September 2017
In most, cases my positions were balanced and I rated high. Management can be a little uptight. I worked as Professional Medical Billing Specialist and would not have stayed as long if I did not enjoy my work.
Pros
Bonus
MEDICAL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 September 2017
Loves everything and everyone at my job. I enjoyed learning new things and procedures, working with people in the lab as well. I would definitely go back to JHU to work.
It was an awesome experience
Summer Intensive Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD4 September 2017
It was awesome! The people were great. The environment was clean and inviting. All the staff were helpful and supportive. Everything was well coordinated.
Assistant Research Analyst
PhD. Candidate Research Assistant and Book Keeper (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD1 September 2017
A deeper understanding of why they make that sacrifice may not only provide us valuable insights into how the workplace environment can be designed to better support them, but also points to broader ways that design can contribute to a brighter era of work itself.
Worst management I've ever had
Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD30 August 2017
HR and managers are complacent. There is little to no support for many people who have gone to them with issues. Favoritism runs rampant. Get the place on your resume then leave.
thums up kindA
Sr. Research Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD30 August 2017
this job was great with the work life balance which is so important these days . There was also a chance to move up in the company although you shouldn't expect to be paid much, unless you are a world reknown doctor.
Working at JHU
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD28 August 2017
For the most part, JHU is a great place to work. My colleagues were great. Most of the managers are great. Some have been there forever and this is their only job so JHU staff have longevity.
A good place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD28 August 2017
This employer offers many benefits such as tuition reimbursement, work at home positions and healthy living incentives. After a certain point in middle-management the opportunities for promotion become very limited since many employees are 'lifers' and stay in their positions for many decades.
Pros
Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Limited promtional opportunities
Very busy
Self-Pay Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD27 August 2017
Answering patient and health insurance companies questions. Solving account issues in a timely manner. Helping patients who can not afford to pay medical bills by offering financial assistance to those who are eligible.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Management change is frequent
interesting workplace
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD26 August 2017
though ive had bad experiences & this company has taught me so much about medicine ,people and life . long hours ,never any time with my family for holidays ,confusion,management never communicates and never knows what is going on .workplace culture is fine ,the hardest part of the job is doing 3-4 positions for years and only get paid for one . The most enjoyable is helping people during difficult times
benefits
Cons
overworked low employee moral not enough pay, parking sucks
I worked continuously throughout the day
Sr. Medical Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD25 August 2017
Johns Hopkins University is a good place to work. I learned a lot. My management was good to work for. Johns Hopkins has plenty of classes you can take to enhance your skills.
The benefits are great!
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lutherville, MD25 August 2017
It's one of the best things I love about Johns Hopkins University! My sons are all grown and the fact that I was still able to add them to my health insurance was wonderful!
The workplace was productive
Research Assistant/Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 August 2017
The position was very interested sometimes the project was not organized at all. I enjoy working with different people especially listening to other feedback on how I was doing.
Pros
Very helpful
Cons
Others helped out
Decent Place to Work
Refunds Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 August 2017
Health Benefits and sick/vacation time were amazing. Office environment was very relaxed. Company offered quarterly raises and annual cookout/end of fiscal year party. Pay was OK but raises were less than nothing.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, work enviroment
Cons
Low raises, hard to change position within company
Poor management
Medical Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD16 August 2017
I enjoyed working at Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins University. I love the teaching and training that it provides you because it prepares you to succeed. When you have a manager that only promotes friends within the department you can't grow or succeed being under poor management.
Pros
summer time worked 10 hrs and had a day off
Cons
manage the department not allow friendship to interfere with decision making
Premier research institution acts like it
Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 August 2017
It's just another big company, but with a better mission. Benefits are good, allows for decent work/life balance. Sometimes you feel like you're just a wheel in a cog, though.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD14 August 2017
Johns Hopkins has a great team environment. Everyone is very supportive. We discuss work and share our expertise. Many advanced scientific instruments are also shared, which makes life a lot easier.