Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Stepping Stone
Senior Compliance Monitoring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD24 July 2017
I would not discourage anyone starting their career to apply for a job at JHU. There are plenty of entry level opportunities. Most managers/directors promote those with whom they identify.
Pros
Free Lunch, flexible schedule
Cons
Favoritism, Limited diversity, Few opportunities for advancement, weak managers
Not organized
HIV Outreach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD18 July 2017
Very busy work environment. It lacks professionalism and structure. Support services are lacking. There is room for advancement but you'll end up with the same lack of professionalism.
Excellent Research University
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD17 July 2017
I learned various skills including major knowledge, communication, teamwork and presentation. I took courses from both mechanical engineering department and materials science and engineering department and learned fundamentals in structure, characterization, solid mechanics and deformation. Collaborating with colleagues in our group as well as collaborators from other institutes, I was trained to achieve common task in team work and to deepen understanding via effective communication. Also, various experience in seminars, meetings and conferences help me a lot improve presentation skills.
Pros
Open environment in learning, communication, collaboration and development
Fun Place to Work
SENIOR BUDGET PLANNING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 July 2017
Johns Hopkins is a great place to work. Employee Development and higher education is encouraged. The work/life balance is great. I was able to work with easy while obtaining my MBA. Employee compensation is its major downfall.
Busy work place,meeting people from other countries.
nutrition technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD9 July 2017
Need a better retirement plan . Teach enployees how to prepare for it. That all departments should have information to attend events, seminars and lectures.
Plenty of opportunity
Sr. Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 2120526 June 2017
JHU offers a wide variety of opportunities for advancement. Their benefit package is very generous. Management allows for needed flexibility in order to maintain a healthy home/work life balance.
Pros
career opportunities
Cons
competitive
its okay
Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD20 June 2017
Looking up events, connecting people to PrEP. Finding outreach opportunities , creating your own opportunities.Know your HIV information and be understanding.
beautiful opportunity to learn
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Johns Hopkins Hospital20 June 2017
iv placement,ekgs,blood draws, hardest part of the job watching patients deal with cancer, seeing some of the patients get well and get to go home,there isn't a lot of respect for technicians from higher up
Office Politics
Clinical Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD20 June 2017
Not many advancement opportunities. Best way to get hired is to know someone if you're interested in an administrative position and who you know dictates your standing when you're hired. Promotions are typically a result of favoritism and leadership roles open up infrequently.
Fast paced work, cutting edge science and a great work environment
Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD19 June 2017
Great supervisors, exposure to some of the best science, people and brilliant minds. Friendly lab environment and flexible hours. Great place to work if you are interested in academia.
Good name associated with it
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD13 June 2017
I worked for a wonderful boss that made all the difference. I had almost full control of the lab and a wonderful support system especially coming from the veterinarian department.
Pros
Highly revered place to work
Cons
Stressful
Good for a Stepping Stone
Research Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD12 June 2017
I gained a lot of experience here and met lots of great people, but I cannot wait to move on. This is not a supportive environment for career growth. Everyone is out for themselves. The turnover is not too bad. Things take forever, all of the divisions are decentralized and there is often lack of communication.
Pros
No Micromanaging from supervisors
Cons
Do not feel supported.
Great Job
Postdoctoral Clinical Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD12 June 2017
The team has been incredibly helpful. My P.I. is a great mentor, as well as very instructive and great at providing me the knowledge to perform job in the best way possible. He has given me many opportunities and for this I am truly grateful.
Pros
Knowledge and experience gained is unimaginable
Cons
Pay is low
An excellent work place environment
Marketing & Assistant to Private Events (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD11 June 2017
The workplace culture is excellent. Management is supportive and JHU has benefits beyond compare. The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers.
Great Institution but Rigorous
Peer-Led Team Learning (PILOT) Leader (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD8 June 2017
Johns Hopkins is a great institution to attend if you are passionate about learning. The neuroscience program is great but it is very rigorous and takes a lot of time and devotion.
Pros
Great Learning
Cons
Rigorous
Nice place to work
Senior Financial Analyst/Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD8 June 2017
My favorite parts of my last job included the ability to work independently (trust from employers) & the people I worked with. It’s great to work with people that care about their company and doing a good job. It’s hard to find that environment today because so many people just don’t care about honesty, hard work & integrity.

My current job has been wonderful because I get to split my time between creative and organizational tasks. I love having that duality, because when I get stuck on the creative stuff, I can switch gears and do the organizational stuff. It’s nice being able to use both sides of my brain. I also like that my bosses are very effective managers. They understand the importance of hiring good people and then simply clearing the way so their team members can do what they do best with few obstacles.
Benefits
Cons
Pay scale
N/a
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  N/A7 June 2017
Great place for networking and finding leaders in their fields.

Awesome opportunity for people interested in healthcare industry.

Very fast-paced environment with a good amount of competition.
Productive research culture
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD6 June 2017
JHU is truly a remarkable place to work where you are involved in life saving decisions every day. Very high paced culture and I left there everyday feeling satisfied.
Educational and fun place to work
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD5 June 2017
A wonderful first job out of college where I made lifelong friends and learned a great deal about cancer research in the lab. Wonderful benefits and a great work environment.
This was the best place I ever worked for.
File Clerk and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD5 June 2017
A typical day for me was scanning and indexing medical records, pulling medical records, data entry and a runner for medical records. I've learned so much during my time there. Working here has taught me a lot of patience. Working here has taught me a lot about other cultures, because it was so many different ones there. The hardest part of this job for me was learning how to understand the language. I loved everything about this job.
Pros
Everthing
Cons
I had none.