JOhn Howard Society Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work, amazing ED to collaborate with.
Criminal Justice Educator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 July 2016
Excellent place to work. Job culture is wonderful and nurturing. Pay is not so good. Good hours, can take time off if needed.
Pros
Wonderful job culture and ED to work with.
Cons
Pay is low.
experience, gain knowledge
job placement program / volunteer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 June 2016
-come in and sign in
-explain how your day week was
-what you couldve done to improve it
- what you need to work on
-goals
-whimis
Pros
you get to meet people and hear there side in life
Cons
poor pay
Incredible organization to work for with great staff, and good benefits.
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 May 2016
A highly rewarding place to work, with a fun team of co-workers and amazing management staff. The benefits are exceptional, the pay rates are in the competitive range for the field and the work place environment is top notch.

Highly recommended place of employment.
Pros
Free meal with every shift
Cons
Occasional challenging moments that can be extremely stressful
productive, fun
Clinical Counselor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
productive and fun
objective, easy to learn, good people, great opportunity to make a difference in community.

the work involves a lot of interactions with amazing people, you learn a lot on daily basis. a good job for people committed to making a positive change in people's lives.
Pros
fun
Cons
n/a
Very interesting place to work at. Quality management with professional touch on the work place issues.
Junior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2015
Very god place to work at. The job enabled me to understand the society I lived in much clearly. Very kind and understanding office atmosphere in place.
Great learning experience with interesting clientel
Resident Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 May 2015
Relatively laid-back atmosphere, with interesting clients and fun staff. Rewarding work that bestowed a sense of responsibility
Rewarding career
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB5 May 2015
Staff are very supportive of one another. Everyone works together to provide clients with the support they need. Management staff make employees feel appreciated.
It was great to speak to youth about my trial and tribulations.
Spokeswoman (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario18 February 2015
I really enjoyed the fact that I got to speak to youth about my life experiences and let them learn from it hoping to influence them in the best positive way that I could. I loved my co-workers they were all kid, caring and really nice. The hardest part of my job was the long drives but it was all worth it in the end. The most enjoyable party of my job was having teenagers walk up to me after the seminar saying how much I changed their outlook on life and to know that their was other people that had been in the same situation as them and could relate to them.
Pros
Free gift bags such as juice boxes, apples and cookies.
Cons
The long drives.
Social Service Agency assisting people on bail and other community individuals
Assistant Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON11 September 2014
Amazing organization, my boss and co-workers were more than anybody could ask for. I wish I could stay at this job forever, however my contract ended through service Canada's paid internship and the agency does not have the funding to hire me full time.
I was excited that my skills I learned in college were put to good use. The hardest part of the job is not getting attached to some amazing people. the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting amazing people and assisting them through emotional crisis.
Pros
Very social, you get to see the changes in peoples lives that you assist
Cons
non for profit, rough salary
Fast pace, enthusiastic work environment
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 April 2014
A typical day at work required many skills and a lot of flexibility. I learned a lot about the criminal justice system and how to organize my work life. The management was always accessible, organized, and considerate of employees. My co-workers were wonderful to work with and always encourage an environment of safety and productivity. The hardest part of the job is hearing some of the stories that come from the people we helped. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you can make a difference in other's lives.
Pros
Great work opportunities
Cons
Fast pace environment can cause tire/burnout
Productive and great field experience
Second year CYW field placement (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON21 March 2014
Friendly staff and relaxed environment. Great chance to build on knowledge of this field.
great salary/ benefits and a rewarding place to work
Community Justice Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines/Welland/Fort Erir4 October 2013
Great management to help you get where you wanna be in your career. As well as competitive salary. With that, the opportunity to learn and explore in the social services/ community justice field.
Pros
great hours and pay
Cons
inconistent with funding; job security is sometimes an issue.
Productive work place and well organized
RECEPTIONIST, SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2013
Typical work day is meeting new people everyday and helping them with what ever issues they have. I've learned many new things professionally how to deal with clients and personally about myself. The management team was kind and helpful and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job was learning how to answer questions I did not know the answer to, the most enjoyable part was I got to meet many different personalities and hear different stories of life that were completely different from mine.
A great experience for volunteering and learning more about the legal system
Justice Service Program (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines ,ON3 September 2013
I volunteered my time at the court houses doing probation in-take. It was very educational and really great to learn about the field I want to be in.
Great Initiative working in this organisation
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON21 August 2013
Great organisation to work with..They are doing a great job within the community.
Pros
Great environment to work in
Cons
Lack of funding
Life Changing
Skills Link Participant (Current Employee) –  Sussex , NB31 July 2013
a typical day here would be going to class on time and learning about communication , how to treat others , interview skills and what you should know about interviews , knowing each other better in the classroom , we would have to do teamwork projects then present them . the teachers here were really nice , they used manners and taught us how to use our manners , we would go out in the community and help anyone that would like us to help them , we volunteered at many places to work and have more experience . this program just helps you find work better in the area you live in or others .
Pros
getting to know everyone in the classroom, helping other people out .
It's a noble calling
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John26 July 2013
I work with clients who have mental disabilities, but are also in contact with the law. A typical day involves escorting the clients to school, community activities, and engaging with them at their residence
Looking for part time work
Youth Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Sarnia16 November 2012
I am looking for part time work to fill up my mornings. My current employment hours are from 12-7 and I am would really enjoy a position at your firm, where I may utilize my skills and experience.
Pros
hard working, team oriented, outgoing individual
Cons
perfectionist, over confident
Enjoyable workplace I regreted leaving
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC9 November 2012
While at John Howard staff would bring me papers they needed photocopyed or/and binded, and I would deliver it to them when I was finished. I was also responsible for moving last years stored files to the storage room in the back, move this years files to the storage closet, and make new files, label them and arrange them in the filing cabinets.

I learned about end of the year filing, policies for files, and gained experience on a photocopier and binding machine. The management was friendly and helpful and the staff were just as friendly and helpful.

The hardest part of the job was leaving on time since I always wanted to stay late to finish what I was doing. I enjoyed every aspect of this job and wish it wasn't just a two week placement.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
i had to leave
Fun workplace in open custody group home
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John NB5 September 2012
A typical day at work would invold some household cleaning until the youth would wake up then during the day we would spend time doing different recreational activities will I would supervise. I have learned that these youth involved in the criminal justice system have caracteristics that appear much older than they are. The hardest part of this job is having to watch these youth become more and more involved in the system were it apears they are willing to continue with there lifestyles full of crime and drugs. The most enjoyable part of this job is hearing the storys from these youth and having the ability to give them a stable support for the time they are in the home.
Pros
fun work
Cons
troubled youth

4.6