John Hancock

John Hancock Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
residental counselor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 8, 2015
Pros: helping others
Cons: can be stressful
care for individuals with disablities and assist them with day to day living. adminstered medication, setting appointments and a liaison between individual and health care provider
Excellent benefits
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), boston, maMarch 1, 2015
Great place to be a financial analyst; can work from home and provides tuition reimbursement; a bit of an "old boy" mentality
Very Corporate
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSFebruary 19, 2015
John Hancock is a good company, but my overall experience there was not my favorite. I prefer the fast pace of retail much better than insurance! Lots more fun, too!
A company seeking to reinivent itself
Senior Learning Consultant, Learning & Development (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2015
When JH was acquired by Manulife Financial in 2004, long time employees suffered a culture shock. Fortunately, I had been there only 3.5 years, so I was still integrating into the old culture, so it was an easier transition for me than for others.

The new company has made a lot of smart decisions during difficult financial times, often at the expense of employees. While the survivors are treated well, there is little loyalty now in either direction.

The quality of work is good. The direction of the company seems promising. But I would not want to work there again.
Investment Advisor
Investment Advisor (Former Employee), Melville, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Worked with clients and prospects servicing financial needs including, portfolio analysis and construction, wealth preservation, alternative investment selection, executive compensation and life insurance.

Prepared business plans and marketing materials for client meetings based on analysis of current client holdings, existing insurance policies, client suitability and market conditions.
Evolving company structure to ensure company longevity.
Financial Control Accountant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2015
John Hancock was my home company for seven years. I saw a bright future with them and truly appreciate their conservative structure as a means of ensuring their current and future financial stability. When the Company introduced their "workplace flexibility program" I was eager to participate. This initially meant working remote three days a week and using "hotel space" (ie reserving a cubicle in advance) two days a week. I was part of the initial launch of this program and its success has proved beneficial for the Company and its employees. It is not a requirement for people to work remotely but it's certainly appreciated when they can. I left John Hancock because a very good friend of mine told me about Delaware Life. John Hancock didn't have many positions available for career growth and I was assured Delaware had a bright future with promised growth. In addition to this, John Hancock pays 7% less than industry average. I left John Hancock for two reasons: job growth and salary. I will always appreciate the time I spent at John Hancock, the valuable knowledge I gained and the friendships I made. It certainly was a positive experience.
Variety in day to day interactions with customers and peers.
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 9, 2015
No two days were the same. PC support and project management brought a variety of learning experiences to the table. Working with various departments and personnel to get a job done was very rewarding.
boring
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great atmospher
Cons: job was boring
I was a temp for 2 years here and I can honestly say the position I started in was very mundane and boring, it was project based for there really wasn't any more to grow. although it was in the heart if the city backbay I enjoyed the area a lot
This company had great growth opporunities
Employer Service Representative (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great growth and development
Cons: company was out sourced to manilla overseas
I learned from the bottom of this business to the top in just five years. After attaining Employre Service Representative my opporutnitiy for growth grew stale. At the height of my carrer , the company shortly moved to another state, leaving myself and many others looking for new employement.
Best Agency Environment
Bookkeeper Assist Office Supervisor Agent (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: best learning experience
Cons: the agencies closed
I came to work a John Hancock in a District Office as a General Ledger Bookkeeper with a District Manager, Office Supervisor and (2) other Secretaries. We assisted Sales Managers and Agents.

Our customer service included Application Review, Underwriting, Beneficiary Changes, Payment Processing and Agent Assistance. All without computers.

My coworkers were family. I still remember all their names - alive and departed.

I learned so much about insurance and working in a family friendly environment.

The most enjoyable part of my job was going to work and being of service to our external and internal customers.
Productive and fun workplace
Lead Developer (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2015
Best environment to work and supportive co-workers for upgrading knowledge
Great Employer
Corporate Recruiter through Winter Wyman (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: work culture
John Hancock has a great reputation to recruit for and it is great place to work. Many people chose to grow their career because of the caliber of professionals that work here. The biggest obstacle with the company is the ever changing culture of the company. The management is often absent due to international presence tha the firm has.
Good environment to update skills
ETL Developer (Former Employee), Chennai, TNDecember 16, 2014
Opportunities were given to freshers also to express ideas and also no difference of opinion between team members
Well recognized company with good employee benefits
Training & Development Consultant (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 23, 2014
The organization has recently adopted a "worksmart" approach where employees can work remotely a few days a week. Productivity and employee engagement has increased due to this flexibility. At this organization, I have sharpened skills such as project management, business analysis, public speaking and leading others.
Very job/life balance
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 23, 2014
Great group. Growth opportunities available

Co-workers were great. Flexible hours
Agency management was questionable.
Registered Representative (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZOctober 21, 2014
Pros: big name company.
Cons: management was a joke.
The easiest way to describe the problems with this work environment was that my boss (Sales Manager) was the Agency Manager's Mistress. She called herself the velvet hammer. Enough said!!!
Independent Environment
Policyholder Services/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free stuff
Cons: benefits, salary
- Everyday I come in and I would seat in my desk and start working.
- I have learned how to interact with customers hands on.
- The managers are great and willing to listen to you.
- Coworkers were great, some have become my friends out side of work.
- Hardest part of the job is (low) salary.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people there.
Productive workplace with life insurance products
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Ponce, PROctober 17, 2014
Pros: life insurance, long term care, 401k
Cons: healthcare
Verify the new applications filled out by the sales representative. Coordinate the logistic of the examiner's procedure to have the test done on a minimum time. Call the sales representative if there is a situation with the application. Receiving calls from clients and explain to them the benefits.

Learned all the products that the market offers to have a financial situation secure for the future.

The company's management through my experience help me to understand all the steps to approve a policy.

The co-workers were always helpful.

The hardest part was to travel 50 miles everyday for 5 months without car allowance. Before the workplace was near my house, but the financial situation made the administration decide to consolidate all services in two offices (San Juan and Ponce). Also, when the
office was on Mayaguez I was the only person working there and every time that I had to leave for vacation or a sickness no one would replace me.

The most enjoyable part was to meet new people. Learning life insurance concepts, having the skills to resolve situations with effective results.
Working together to achieve goals
Mutual Fund Liaison II (Current Employee), Portsmouth, NHSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: hour long lunches, friendly, fun, healthcare, understanding and interest in their employees health and lives.
Cons: the distance from where i live, the pay
A typical day for me, is well not typical. Starting time is at 8, but I like to be in by 7:30, this allows me to not only get all of my stuff together, but also for my teammates. Check the work load and evenly pass out work items such as our morning rejects. From 8:00am EST to 10:30 am EST, I am generally busy with processing transfers/redemption/purchases. During those two and a half hours, we are also taking phone calls, and reviewing emails to make sure that there are no price dependent items that have not been worked upon. After 10:30 am EST, I would work on submitting wires for any redemption's that I had to take out side of the NSCC system and manually process. After wires are submitted I then would work on faxed/emailed in request for updating client accounts, transfer in kinds from a JH direct held account to a firm's omnibus held account.

I have learned a lot about mutual funds with in my past three years at John Hancock. I feel that I have become knowledgeable in the functions of most retirement accounts such as IRA, Roth IRA, SEP IRA, Simple IRA's and even 403B's, as well as non-qualified accounts such as Individual accounts, jtwros accounts (Joint with Rights of Survivorship), Trust accounts, UGMAs and UTMAs.

I have a basic knowledge of how the NSCC and DCC&S system works with in the financial world. Each day I gain more knowledge with the use of Microsoft 2014 accessories such as Excel, powerpoint, word document and Microsoft OneNote.

Management here are mostly great. I have not met one manager who does not look out for their employees. They are almost always – more... willing to make time to sit down with their employees for one on ones to help their employees to succeed.

I enjoy working with my co-workers on projects, because although we may not have the same thoughts or ideas, we still listen to one another's thoughts and idea's while working together. When I feel that I did not understand something fully or needed help my co-workers were always there to assist

Since I have a back ground of retail and management, the hardest thing for me was to understand how the financial world works. The differences between stocks and bonds. Retaining knowledge of the IRS requirements, and what the qualifications were for purchases into separate share classes with in a fund, and knowing who can and cannot invest their money into these options.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can see a difference in what I've done. That I have helped to make things easier, or building great relationships with other firms back offices. Hearing that they enjoy speaking to me because of how friendly and knowledgeable I am.In addition, I also find it enjoyable when I do not need to go back and review a procedure on how to work on a project or an item.

Occasionally, we would have to train someone or have people sit with my department just to shadow us, so they could see what it is that we do within our department, and when explaining they get a full understand. This accomplishment feels great. – less
Data Analyst
GLTC Data Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 1, 2014
A typical day in John Hancock as a data analyst was entering the office and starting to work on my cubicle. During the day I would have to interact with my other co-workers sitting around me, recon analysts in other departments (by phone regularly), and even third parties involve with our clients.

Without IT background, I had the opportunity to learn some basic IT terminologies. At first it was one of the hardest part because I had no idea of anything of IT.

1 2 3 4 5

About John Hancock

From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's – Read more