John Hancock

John Hancock Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good environment to update skills
ETL Developer (Former Employee), Chennai, TNDecember 16, 2014
Opportunities were given to freshers also to express ideas and also no difference of opinion between team members
Well recognized company with good employee benefits
Training & Development Consultant (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 23, 2014
The organization has recently adopted a "worksmart" approach where employees can work remotely a few days a week. Productivity and employee engagement has increased due to this flexibility. At this organization, I have sharpened skills such as project management, business analysis, public speaking and leading others.
Very job/life balance
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 23, 2014
Great group. Growth opportunities available

Co-workers were great. Flexible hours
Agency management was questionable.
Registered Representative (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZOctober 21, 2014
Pros: big name company.
Cons: management was a joke.
The easiest way to describe the problems with this work environment was that my boss (Sales Manager) was the Agency Manager's Mistress. She called herself the velvet hammer. Enough said!!!
Independent Environment
Policyholder Services/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free stuff
Cons: benefits, salary
- Everyday I come in and I would seat in my desk and start working.
- I have learned how to interact with customers hands on.
- The managers are great and willing to listen to you.
- Coworkers were great, some have become my friends out side of work.
- Hardest part of the job is (low) salary.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the – more... people there. – less
Productive workplace with life insurance products
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Ponce, PROctober 17, 2014
Pros: life insurance, long term care, 401k
Cons: healthcare
Verify the new applications filled out by the sales representative. Coordinate the logistic of the examiner's procedure to have the test done on a minimum time. Call the sales representative if there is a situation with the application. Receiving calls from clients and explain to them the benefits.

Learned all the products that the market offers to – more... have a financial situation secure for the future.

The company's management through my experience help me to understand all the steps to approve a policy.

The co-workers were always helpful.

The hardest part was to travel 50 miles everyday for 5 months without car allowance. Before the workplace was near my house, but the financial situation made the administration decide to consolidate all services in two offices (San Juan and Ponce). Also, when the
office was on Mayaguez I was the only person working there and every time that I had to leave for vacation or a sickness no one would replace me.

The most enjoyable part was to meet new people. Learning life insurance concepts, having the skills to resolve situations with effective results. – less
Working together to achieve goals
Mutual Fund Liaison II (Current Employee), Portsmouth, NHSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: hour long lunches, friendly, fun, healthcare, understanding and interest in their employees health and lives.
Cons: the distance from where i live, the pay
A typical day for me, is well not typical. Starting time is at 8, but I like to be in by 7:30, this allows me to not only get all of my stuff together, but also for my teammates. Check the work load and evenly pass out work items such as our morning rejects. From 8:00am EST to 10:30 am EST, I am generally busy with processing transfers/redemption/purchases. – more... During those two and a half hours, we are also taking phone calls, and reviewing emails to make sure that there are no price dependent items that have not been worked upon. After 10:30 am EST, I would work on submitting wires for any redemption's that I had to take out side of the NSCC system and manually process. After wires are submitted I then would work on faxed/emailed in request for updating client accounts, transfer in kinds from a JH direct held account to a firm's omnibus held account.

I have learned a lot about mutual funds with in my past three years at John Hancock. I feel that I have become knowledgeable in the functions of most retirement accounts such as IRA, Roth IRA, SEP IRA, Simple IRA's and even 403B's, as well as non-qualified accounts such as Individual accounts, jtwros accounts (Joint with Rights of Survivorship), Trust accounts, UGMAs and UTMAs.

I have a basic knowledge of how the NSCC and DCC&S system works with in the financial world. Each day I gain more knowledge with the use of Microsoft 2014 accessories such as Excel, powerpoint, word document and Microsoft OneNote.

Management here are mostly great. I have not met one manager who does not look out for their employees. They are almost always willing to make time to sit down with their employees for one on ones to help their employees to succeed.

I enjoy working with my co-workers on projects, because although we may not have the same thoughts or ideas, we still listen to one another's thoughts and idea's while working together. When I feel that I did not understand something fully or needed help my co-workers were always there to assist

Since I have a back ground of retail and management, the hardest thing for me was to understand how the financial world works. The differences between stocks and bonds. Retaining knowledge of the IRS requirements, and what the qualifications were for purchases into separate share classes with in a fund, and knowing who can and cannot invest their money into these options.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can see a difference in what I've done. That I have helped to make things easier, or building great relationships with other firms back offices. Hearing that they enjoy speaking to me because of how friendly and knowledgeable I am.In addition, I also find it enjoyable when I do not need to go back and review a procedure on how to work on a project or an item.

Occasionally, we would have to train someone or have people sit with my department just to shadow us, so they could see what it is that we do within our department, and when explaining they get a full understand. This accomplishment feels great. – less
Data Analyst
GLTC Data Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 1, 2014
A typical day in John Hancock as a data analyst was entering the office and starting to work on my cubicle. During the day I would have to interact with my other co-workers sitting around me, recon analysts in other departments (by phone regularly), and even third parties involve with our clients.

Without IT background, I had the opportunity to learn – more... some basic IT terminologies. At first it was one of the hardest part because I had no idea of anything of IT. – less
Underwriting Department: Replacement Unit
Replacement/1035 Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 25, 2014
Reviewed incoming Life Insurance Applications that required the cash value from a preexisting life insurance policy be transferred to a new one, whether the policy was internal from John Hancock, or from an external company.
Treat employees well
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 13, 2014
Typical Day - chaotic but manageable

Co-workers - knew their stuff
solid company
Agency Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 4, 2014
Pros: high income
Cons: company always changing direction of priorities
started as agent and worked my way to to agency management. name of the game is to sell. met a lot of good people but do to the nature of the business,watched a lot of nthem leave. I was lucky to become an agency manager,but enjoyed middle management better due to working with agents.at the time , the sales conventions were great,met fantastic people – more... . – less
My opinion
Desktop Support/ Intern (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: the culture is awesome
I have to say that Interning at John Hancock has been a great experience. There is a lot of work to do and even a lot more to learn, very challenging and it help you grow and become a better technician.
Productive place to work
Accounts Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 9, 2014
Over all this was a great company however minimal room for advancement.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 30, 2014
I worked at John Hancock for almost 3 years. The people I worked with were very knowledgeable and helpful. The management had an open door policy and very helpful.
Top rated company that will spare no expense to be the best
Building Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 24, 2014
A high demand company that is willing to invest into its work enviroment.
the opportunity to move throughout the company and learn other areas is terrific. Their benefits are also unique with access to a group legal benefit
Senior Benefits Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 30, 2014
Pros: occassional free theater tickets or tickets to sporting events
Cons: not always having the time to take a lunch break or a walk because of being so busy.
JH has always been on the cutting edge of technology and also upcoming trends. It is a joy to work with the retirees who offer not only history of the company but product knowledge as well. After a full day of customer service calls, leaves of absence issues, insurance questions and fires to put out I always went home feeling that I made a difference – more... which is a wonderful thing. I learned so much about my field specifics being the team lead on unique benefits questions such as laws governing Worker's Comp, benefit coordination with Medicare and patience. My co-workers are hard working people who do not hesitate to stop what they are doing to lend a hand which makes life a lot easier in the fast past environment. The most challenging part of my role was having to tell someone that there was nothing I could do to help them, be it due to law or plan restrictions or company policy. And processing death claims is very hard especially if you knew the person. The most enjoyable was meeting people face to face during benefit fairs or just receiving that rare thank you...makes it all worth while! – less
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, maMay 5, 2014
I had a great manager at John Hancock, however there were many weeks where there was not a lot of work to be done.
Great place to work!!
Financial Analyst -IS Business Analytics (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 23, 2014
Great enviroment and very nice people. People are always willing to help you sucseed on your tasks.
Secure job environment, great benefits,
Legal (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 18, 2014
Predictable daily schedule, not much of a change in pace. Independent working environment with little interaction with co-workers in and out of the office
produtive and fun work
Sr. Application Consultant (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches
• Involved in requirements analysis for Planogram-MOC generation module.
• Interacted with business analysts and prepared Visio Diagrams.
• Struts2.0 is the MVC framework and backbone of the application. Façade design patterns were extensively used for entity bean and session bean interaction.
• Involved in Performance tuning.
• Involved in designing – more... of replacement of Entity bean with DAO pattern.
• Involved in enhancement and bug fix of the ecommerce site.
• Used eclipse3.2 IDE for java development.
• Responsible for Development, Integration Testing, User Acceptance testing.
• Involved in JUnit testing and generate report.
• Responsible for creating SQL scripts for testing functionality. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About John Hancock

From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's – Read more