John Hancock

John Hancock Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice Place
Prepping Specialist (Former Employee), South Boston MAJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Nice place to grow business wise
Cons: Employees
it was and wonderful experience and I learned alot while working there for three years. Everyone was great and it was very busy everyday
Did my internship here
Assistant, Finance & Marketing (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 15, 2015
Learned a lot about financial services. Worked with advisors who were passionate about what they do. Awesome place to work really prepared me for the real world.
ok
Annuity Services Analyst / New Business (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 12, 2015
It was a great company to work for when it was just John Hancock. Once Manualife bought out John Hancock there were numerous changes and layoffs.
A great brand on the decline
Manager of Building Products and Timberland Team (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Easy to exceed low performance expectations and peer results
Cons: Achievement is rewarded with contempt and discharge
High agency costs and culture driven by risk-averse managers, who sacrifice AUM, lower policy premia, shareholder dividends and the firm's reputation for personal job security. Upside down approach to credit and failure to tie compensation to exceeding industry perfomance benchmarks limits marketability of investment team and encourages turf battles.
Great place to be an intern
INTERN (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 20, 2015
Thanks to this internship, I made some wonderful connections. Had to dress professional every day no matter what. Every day had different tasks. Very friendly people.
A good place to work at
Life Operations Project Claims Associate (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Free ice-cream
Cons: corporate cold environment
One of the oldest insurance companies in the USA. Takes a good care of its full-time employees with excellent health care benefits.
Great company to work for!
CSR/ Annuities Call Center (Current Employee), Portsmouth, NHMay 7, 2015
John Hancock is great company to work for. I am a contracted employee and management has always treated me like one of their own. The atmosphere is always very positive and supportive and I really appreciate that. I'm keeping my fingers cross to be hired permanently because I have honestly never been this happy working for a company.
Busy days at work. A lot of computer work, which I really enjoyed.
New Business Issue Technician (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIApril 21, 2015
Pros: Lunch incentives were provided if our number were good.
Received a daily email listing the work that had to get done that day. We were assigned to specific agents and had to process the Long Term Care policies that were complete and ready to be issued. If we found any missing information we either had to contact the underwriter or call the applicant(s) themselves to get such information.
Productive and Fast Paced Work Environment
Customer Service - Annuities/ Client Services (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHApril 2, 2015
Working with John Hancock was a pleasure as everyone was so helpful and always willing to learn. Management helped support each individual especially when a problem arose and the individual seeked additional training in regards to their job and to help further themselves in the work place.
residental counselor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 8, 2015
Pros: helping others
Cons: can be stressful
care for individuals with disablities and assist them with day to day living. adminstered medication, setting appointments and a liaison between individual and health care provider
Excellent benefits
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), boston, maMarch 1, 2015
Great place to be a financial analyst; can work from home and provides tuition reimbursement; a bit of an "old boy" mentality
Very Corporate
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSFebruary 19, 2015
John Hancock is a good company, but my overall experience there was not my favorite. I prefer the fast pace of retail much better than insurance! Lots more fun, too!
A company seeking to reinivent itself
Senior Learning Consultant, Learning & Development (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2015
When JH was acquired by Manulife Financial in 2004, long time employees suffered a culture shock. Fortunately, I had been there only 3.5 years, so I was still integrating into the old culture, so it was an easier transition for me than for others.

The new company has made a lot of smart decisions during difficult financial times, often at the expense of employees. While the survivors are treated well, there is little loyalty now in either direction.

The quality of work is good. The direction of the company seems promising. But I would not want to work there again.
Investment Advisor
Investment Advisor (Former Employee), Melville, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Worked with clients and prospects servicing financial needs including, portfolio analysis and construction, wealth preservation, alternative investment selection, executive compensation and life insurance.

Prepared business plans and marketing materials for client meetings based on analysis of current client holdings, existing insurance policies, client suitability and market conditions.
Evolving company structure to ensure company longevity.
Financial Control Accountant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2015
John Hancock was my home company for seven years. I saw a bright future with them and truly appreciate their conservative structure as a means of ensuring their current and future financial stability. When the Company introduced their "workplace flexibility program" I was eager to participate. This initially meant working remote three days a week and using "hotel space" (ie reserving a cubicle in advance) two days a week. I was part of the initial launch of this program and its success has proved beneficial for the Company and its employees. It is not a requirement for people to work remotely but it's certainly appreciated when they can. I left John Hancock because a very good friend of mine told me about Delaware Life. John Hancock didn't have many positions available for career growth and I was assured Delaware had a bright future with promised growth. In addition to this, John Hancock pays 7% less than industry average. I left John Hancock for two reasons: job growth and salary. I will always appreciate the time I spent at John Hancock, the valuable knowledge I gained and the friendships I made. It certainly was a positive experience.
Variety in day to day interactions with customers and peers.
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 9, 2015
No two days were the same. PC support and project management brought a variety of learning experiences to the table. Working with various departments and personnel to get a job done was very rewarding.
boring
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great atmospher
Cons: job was boring
I was a temp for 2 years here and I can honestly say the position I started in was very mundane and boring, it was project based for there really wasn't any more to grow. although it was in the heart if the city backbay I enjoyed the area a lot
This company had great growth opporunities
Employer Service Representative (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great growth and development
Cons: company was out sourced to manilla overseas
I learned from the bottom of this business to the top in just five years. After attaining Employre Service Representative my opporutnitiy for growth grew stale. At the height of my carrer , the company shortly moved to another state, leaving myself and many others looking for new employement.
Best Agency Environment
Bookkeeper Assist Office Supervisor Agent (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: best learning experience
Cons: the agencies closed
I came to work a John Hancock in a District Office as a General Ledger Bookkeeper with a District Manager, Office Supervisor and (2) other Secretaries. We assisted Sales Managers and Agents.

Our customer service included Application Review, Underwriting, Beneficiary Changes, Payment Processing and Agent Assistance. All without computers.

My coworkers were family. I still remember all their names - alive and departed.

I learned so much about insurance and working in a family friendly environment.

The most enjoyable part of my job was going to work and being of service to our external and internal customers.
Productive and fun workplace
Lead Developer (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2015
Best environment to work and supportive co-workers for upgrading knowledge

1 2 3 4 5

About John Hancock

From our humble beginnings in 1862 as a four person company formed in a single room, the name John Hancock, one of our nation's – Read more