John Deere Landscapes Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Business-Horrible Upper Management
Sales and Service Rep (Former Employee), Southern CaliforniaOctober 27, 2014
Pros: decent pay, good work hours
Cons: bad business decisions, no ethics, no respect from upper management
Work days were pretty good as long as middle and upper management stayed away. Store management and crew were enjoyable. Middle and upper management show NO ethics or loyalty and concerned themselves with other things. VP and RM encouraged illegal pesticide sales but dodged responsibility with double talk. Company talked "Community Involvement" but only wanted to talk the talk, not walk the walk.They asked individuals to log community volunteer hours so the company would look good but never volunteered company resources or man-hours for community involvement. Good employees were exploited for hard work but if they left the area, nothing was done to help them within the company. VP gave orders subject to his whims, not good business. He inconvenienced customers and lost sales to increase his own personal accounting in the company. Money was wasted in several areas and upper management did nothing to implement cost savings, except to cut man-hours. I understand this was more Southern California as employees I talked to in other parts of the country didn't have a lot of the same concerns as I did.
Typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 4, 2013
Pros: great benefits, good people
Cons: lunch break, management
It was a very fast pace environment, there was never a dull moment. I was constantly learning daily about the different products in the store I wasn't familiar with, such as chemicals and varies of fertilizers. I had awesome co-workers, we all worked all together and always got the job done in a well fashioned manner. The hardest part of the job was probably making sure you're really making sure your customer knows that they're important and feel as if they were not rushed and the result is a happy customer meanwhile dealing with long lines and customers needing to be on a job site in a timely manner. To be accurate, I thoroughly enjoyed my customers the most out of everything at John Deere Landscapes. I knew about half of them from my previous job so it worked out well for myself and the customers. I had the best customers!
John Deere Landscapes was a great place of employment, I especially valued the employee relationships
Credit and Collection Manager (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJune 6, 2012
Pros: heavily depended on with my industry experience, great mgmt team, i had a great group of employees
Cons: had to move back to texas
A typical work day included: managed the policy and procedures for a multi-million dollar company, Coaching 17 employees with day to day business activities,approving new credit accounts, reviewing credit lines for increases or decreases. reporting, using credit bureau reports, manage collection calls daily.
I learned about UCC-1 filings.
We had the best management team in the industry from top to the bottom. My direct boss was very fair and you knew what the expectations of the job was. He was a very quite man, but very funny.
I think the hardest part of the job was personnel's personal/family problems, that is more draining than the job itself.
I really enjoyed the working relationships with the employees and the relationship with the customers.
Fun work place
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Chantilly, VaJune 19, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: no benefits, no paid holidays, no paid vacation, no paid sick days as ft seasonal
Day starts off with all hands on deck, busiest time of the day. Mostly would be loading businesses trucks with supplies and unloading supply trucks, Operating a forklift and moving pallets around and just keeping the warehouse clean. Management was great to work with. My co workers were awesome great guys with alot of stories to tell. the hardest part of the whole job was having to hand unload two or three full pallets of fertilizer each weighting 50 lbs in a matter of 30 mins. Driving and meeting other co workers at other stores and being able to driver all over for deliveries and pick ups.
Repetitive work for minimal pay in a miserable ambiance
CLS Designer (Current Employee), Sterling, VAMarch 21, 2013
Pros: paycheck every week, flexible hours, overtime on occasion, casual/semi casual wear
Cons: coworkers, manager
The company in general is great. However, the environment is unprofessional. One coworker is loud, obnoxious and inappropriate while the former manager-turned-coworker does nothing but support this child-like behavior.

The other coworker is pessimistic. Everything is a complaint - life, job, tasks, etc.. When manager, they gave negative feedback/comments.

There are no barriers or cubicles to separate. Also, very little to no growth in this department.

As a first salary job, this was great. The work is easy and passes the time. If there were any other options, though, I would take it.
A productive and fun work experience.
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Prosper, TXJune 1, 2014
Directed branch sales and operations, including P&L, accounting, staff hiring/training, inventory control, purchasing, and vendor/customer relations. Identified and pursued new business, maintained relationships with and developed programs for strategic accounts, and coordinated product/service delivery. Negotiated with executive decision makers, including presidents, VPs, CEOs, and business owners, on price points, targeting customer needs, securing business, and establishing partnerships.
Supported a credit department in collecting and maintaining customer account receivable balances.
Rewarding job with team oriented atmosphere
Account Mgr/6 branches (Former Employee), Macon, GAOctober 30, 2015
Pros: Compensation for performance, aided and supported advancement and training, strong relationships with employees and management
Cons: Alot of time spent on the road, long hours, high expectations in regard to sales and yearly budgets
John Deere Landscapes afforded me a huge opportunity to enhance my professional skills in the area of sales and increase my monetary value to be able to afford the things I needed and wanted on a personal level.
Worst company to EVER work for
Regional Vice President (Current Employee), United StatesFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: deere owned them
Cons: sold their soul to pe and destroyed people
Deere sold this unit to a PE firm that changed out the entire management team that cared about employees. It is now run by Old Castle employees and friends of the new management team. 50% of the prior middle management team were fired or demoted (and this used to be a successful company).

Avoid working at this company at all costs. Cunning but very deceitful.
Not for active young adults
Project Services Estimator (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 29, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: sitting all day
This is a 40 hr/week job that requires 100% of the time at a desk looking at 2 computer monitors. I was hoping for more interaction with the public and something a bit more active. This job required no education at all, only someone who can operate a software program and be a slave to a desk all day.
Good company, unprofessional management though.
Project Services Estimator (Current Employee), Estimator IAugust 2, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Overall a good company to work for mostly because of name recognition. There is very little room for advancement and none of the skills used in the job could be applied at any other company or profession. The management conducts themselves in a very unprofessional manner. This comments are only about the Project Services division and not the company as a whole.
Fun and Uplifting but detail oriented.
Administrative Assistant/bookkeep (Former Employee), Franklin,TNFebruary 3, 2012
Pros: working in the dirt
Cons: everyone was very friendly
This company was wonderful to work with which I learned alot of bookkeeping in the process. The co-workers and manager were all willing to add advice and help to further my training. Im sad it as only a temporary position.
Rude employees
Potential applicant (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 22, 2015
I called the Fresno, CA location to inquire about a job posting and the woman who answered the phone was extremely rude. She acted as if she had no clue about the job I was referring to and instead of asking for help from a manager she hung up in my face. I didn't even bother to call back.
Great place to start
Employee (Current Employee), MidwestMarch 9, 2015
Cons: long hours in peak season
Good entry level company, no training set up to help employees. If you are looking to move up within the company, good luck with advancement. College education doesn't carry much weight with upper management. Good place to learn your craft and move on from.
great company. unsure of employee development
branch manager (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 5, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: professional growth. typically filled outside company.
want to grow with company but no clear direction for employees. if you are good at what you do it becomes easier to keep you there then move up and replace.
Its nice place to work
Dynamics ax technical consultant (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GASeptember 23, 2015
I worked fro this client in implementation of General ledger module for Microsoft dynamics ax 2012 vesion. I also developed new ssrs reports and also involved in the code upgrade and go live support. Its nice place to work and learn new technologies
Steady employment
Customer Service, Account Management (Former Employee), Meridian, IDDecember 14, 2015
Pros: steady employment
Cons: some managers were unethical
Good company, you really need to want to relocate if you want to be promoted. Its nice to work for a large corporation just for the fact that you know you'll have a check every week.
Diverse
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Marietta, GANovember 16, 2015
Pros: Diversity
Cons: Droughts
This is a diverse workplace. It deals with all types of flowers and trees from all over the world. The only thing about working for a landscaping company is that if there is a water drought you maybe out of a job.
very good company with great integrity
Regional Buyer Florida (Former Employee), Palmetto, FLNovember 14, 2012
Pros: benefits / management expertise
Cons: n/a
JDL was a great company to work for and the people there are great.
The management was some of the best I ever encountered.

the economy was what put an end to the nursery side of the company.
excellent company to work for
branch manager (Former Employee), McAllen, TXDecember 1, 2015
i learned a lot by working for this company and i used my skills to open my own irrigation company and became my own boss and was able to a a good year of work but unfortunately in this market work slows down every year.
Excellent distributor to the Green Industry
Area Manager (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 14, 2013
Very good at what they do...become a resource to the landscape professional to buy practically any product.

Management is very good - thinking toward the future and allowing the local team to run the day to day.