John Deere Landscapes Employee Reviews

shipping/receiving
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA15 February 2017
manager at riverside branch is awesome. hours were pretty standard. if you wanted overtime was usually available. manager understood if school or prior engagement caused you to leave early or adjust start times. even delivery drivers had to make cold calls (sales)
Pros
benefits were ok. manager understood if need to jam early.
Cons
pay was weak. made everyone make sales cold calls even the shipping/recieving employees.
satisfactory job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Millersville, MD22 January 2017
This was a good day to day job with good work constituents until management changed. As with every job when management is changed so does the daily tasks change. In this case the manager was incapable of dealing with managing more then two people and couldn't handle the volume of pressure of that store.
Great work environment!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CA28 September 2016
Over 13 years the company has changed names 3 times and or been acquired. The culture has changed as has the focus. The people in the branches are great, solid performers.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Rewarding job with team oriented atmosphere
Account Mgr/6 branches (Former Employee) –  Macon, GA30 October 2015
John Deere Landscapes afforded me a huge opportunity to enhance my professional skills in the area of sales and increase my monetary value to be able to afford the things I needed and wanted on a personal level.
Pros
Compensation for performance, aided and supported advancement and training, strong relationships with employees and management
Cons
Alot of time spent on the road, long hours, high expectations in regard to sales and yearly budgets
Good place
Customer Sales and Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Arden, NC7 April 2016
Great company to work for. They do a great job of creating a supportive environment. Training, compensation, and everything were positives for me.
Typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL4 November 2013
It was a very fast pace environment, there was never a dull moment. I was constantly learning daily about the different products in the store I wasn't familiar with, such as chemicals and varies of fertilizers. I had awesome co-workers, we all worked all together and always got the job done in a well fashioned manner. The hardest part of the job was probably making sure you're really making sure your customer knows that they're important and feel as if they were not rushed and the result is a happy customer meanwhile dealing with long lines and customers needing to be on a job site in a timely manner. To be accurate, I thoroughly enjoyed my customers the most out of everything at John Deere Landscapes. I knew about half of them from my previous job so it worked out well for myself and the customers. I had the best customers!
Pros
great benefits, good people
Cons
lunch break, management
Fun work place
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, Va19 June 2012
Day starts off with all hands on deck, busiest time of the day. Mostly would be loading businesses trucks with supplies and unloading supply trucks, Operating a forklift and moving pallets around and just keeping the warehouse clean. Management was great to work with. My co workers were awesome great guys with alot of stories to tell. the hardest part of the whole job was having to hand unload two or three full pallets of fertilizer each weighting 50 lbs in a matter of 30 mins. Driving and meeting other co workers at other stores and being able to driver all over for deliveries and pick ups.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no benefits, no paid holidays, no paid vacation, no paid sick days as ft seasonal
Great place to start
Employee (Current Employee) –  Midwest9 March 2015
Good entry level company, no training set up to help employees. If you are looking to move up within the company, good luck with advancement. College education doesn't carry much weight with upper management. Good place to learn your craft and move on from.
Cons
Long hours in peak season
Worst company to EVER work for
Regional Vice President (Current Employee) –  United States10 February 2015
Deere sold this unit to a PE firm that changed out the entire management team that cared about employees. It is now run by Old Castle employees and friends of the new management team. 50% of the prior middle management team were fired or demoted (and this used to be a successful company).

Avoid working at this company at all costs. Cunning but very deceitful.
Pros
Deere owned them
Cons
Sold their soul to PE and destroyed people
Good company, unprofessional management though.
Project Services Estimator (Current Employee) –  Estimator I2 August 2014
Overall a good company to work for mostly because of name recognition. There is very little room for advancement and none of the skills used in the job could be applied at any other company or profession. The management conducts themselves in a very unprofessional manner. This comments are only about the Project Services division and not the company as a whole.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Management is great
Irrigation Design (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VA14 August 2014
If you are just in it to have a great boss and some job security, then this place is for you. Because it is such a huge company its pretty hard, from what I here to get fired.

There are a lot of negatives with this job, which I have seen were pretty consistent across the board an with different people in different departments. There is A LOT of downtime and this is not a good thing, you'll come to work and for the whole day you'll be doing nothing at all but reading a book, then because John Deere's are never in a place near civilization I drive a long while to get to work to do nothing. They don't pay enough for me to do so. So by the end of a typical month I will be broke because the driving it takes to get to work and food I buy during, even if I make my own lunch it is a lot. I would only recommend someone working here if they have A LOT of spare money for gas and A LOT of time to kill.

Also! Very important this company is cheap, all of the staff only shares one computer, so with that there is really no need for any other position since major programs are only installed on 1 computer since that is all the company can afford.
Pros
Great boss, free parking, a lot of down time
Cons
No room for advancement, only 0.3% raises a year, A lot of downtime, all of staff must share 1 computer
productive place to work
Driver and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MA21 December 2015
Full time annual lay off driver. Good place to work with good benefits job can be stressful at times but overall good place to work
Pros
decent pay
Cons
stressful at times
very good company with great integrity
Regional Buyer Florida (Former Employee) –  Palmetto, FL14 November 2012
JDL was a great company to work for and the people there are great.
The management was some of the best I ever encountered.

the economy was what put an end to the nursery side of the company.
Pros
benefits / management expertise
Cons
n/a
Large Company good benefits
Branch Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJ3 February 2015
One of the large company in is field, long hours. Company has great benefits, Customers were great to work with. Overall a good company to work with
John Deere Landscapes was a great place of employment, I especially valued the employee relationships
Credit and Collection Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GA6 June 2012
A typical work day included: managed the policy and procedures for a multi-million dollar company, Coaching 17 employees with day to day business activities,approving new credit accounts, reviewing credit lines for increases or decreases. reporting, using credit bureau reports, manage collection calls daily.
I learned about UCC-1 filings.
We had the best management team in the industry from top to the bottom. My direct boss was very fair and you knew what the expectations of the job was. He was a very quite man, but very funny.
I think the hardest part of the job was personnel's personal/family problems, that is more draining than the job itself.
I really enjoyed the working relationships with the employees and the relationship with the customers.
Pros
heavily depended on with my industry experience, great mgmt team, i had a great group of employees
Cons
had to move back to texas
A productive and fun work experience.
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Prosper, TX1 June 2014
Directed branch sales and operations, including P&L, accounting, staff hiring/training, inventory control, purchasing, and vendor/customer relations. Identified and pursued new business, maintained relationships with and developed programs for strategic accounts, and coordinated product/service delivery. Negotiated with executive decision makers, including presidents, VPs, CEOs, and business owners, on price points, targeting customer needs, securing business, and establishing partnerships.
Supported a credit department in collecting and maintaining customer account receivable balances.
Low Pay
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI29 January 2015
The job pays little if more than minimum wage. Co-workers are good people to work with, decent work life balance.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
Low rate of pay, so-so benefits.
Loved the contractors
Driver (Former Employee) –  Eugene, Oregon7 October 2015
Management was the worst. Went through 3 mangers in 4 years. Not a safe location to work at. The contractors were wonderful.
Pros
Wage
Cons
great company. unsure of employee development
branch manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN5 November 2015
want to grow with company but no clear direction for employees. if you are good at what you do it becomes easier to keep you there then move up and replace.
Pros
great people
Cons
professional growth. typically filled outside company.
Great Business-Horrible Upper Management
Sales and Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Southern California27 October 2014
Work days were pretty good as long as middle and upper management stayed away. Store management and crew were enjoyable. Middle and upper management show NO ethics or loyalty and concerned themselves with other things. VP and RM encouraged illegal pesticide sales but dodged responsibility with double talk. Company talked "Community Involvement" but only wanted to talk the talk, not walk the walk.They asked individuals to log community volunteer hours so the company would look good but never volunteered company resources or man-hours for community involvement. Good employees were exploited for hard work but if they left the area, nothing was done to help them within the company. VP gave orders subject to his whims, not good business. He inconvenienced customers and lost sales to increase his own personal accounting in the company. Money was wasted in several areas and upper management did nothing to implement cost savings, except to cut man-hours. I understand this was more Southern California as employees I talked to in other parts of the country didn't have a lot of the same concerns as I did.
Pros
Decent pay, good work hours
Cons
Bad business decisions, no ethics, no respect from upper management