John Abbott College Employee Reviews

amazing people to work with, a great environment. Easily balanced school and work
Library Assistant (student job) (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, QC15 November 2017
I had an amazing time working for the john abbott library. The staff is always smiling and ready to help you learn as well as clarify any confusions. There was a lot of autonomy as well as working in a team. It was a great job for a student, however you must be a full time student at John Abbott if you would like to work there. Overall a great experience and I would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
only available to full time John Abbott students
convenient place to work
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC9 September 2017
This is a convenient place for me to work because I go to school here and can work here on my breaks. I have learnt how to deal with people and parents.
Great Environment to work in all around
Coaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC30 August 2017
The employees are a joy to work with which makes for great atmosphere in the work place and management is very helpful and easily accessible when you need advice on anything.
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC22 August 2017
Flexible with students on their schedule and help you make your schedule around work but at the same time require a certain level of commitment to school.
fund and challenging workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 August 2017
I loved teaching at John Abbott College to a wonderful array of creative and culturally diverse students. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching in the classroom and in the developing an attention to each student: I learned to be more patient and how to cater to the individual, to the needs of a diverse level and type of student at a very important and transitional stage of their lives.

The workplace had its ups and it's challenges: The workplace culture is positive and generally good, but the link and respect between teachers and administration needs a re-vamping and struggles to make changes to some of the dysfunctions that large institutions face:The need for better communication with Departments, to fill a hole for very basic needs, as this directly affects the students and the teachers in the classroom and out. The workload is also not ideal as there are more administrative demands on the teachers creating much less time for curriculum, students,office hours and pedagogy. This was the hardest part of the job, along with the 2 hour trip to work, one way.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
challenging to flourish in teaching and your own projects/development
Fun and interactive job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint anne de bellevue26 July 2017
This job was fun of adventures, I learned a lot about myself, I improved my work ethic and was able to work with 9 other wondering people. Enforcing the rules to my peers as well as maintaining a good school record was challenging. However, Being around so many people of my age and learning about all their differences was rewarding.
Good Place to Work and Co-Workers are Friendly
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Saint-Anne-de-bellview28 May 2017
The school was a good place to work, the student i worked with was very nice and easy to get along with. it was much the same for the staff at the school and were very helpful when I had questions about the premises.
chill
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, QC5 May 2017
I've been with Indeed for over two years and have seen many changes along the way. Some for the better some for the worse in my opinion. Overall the company is a great place to work. The environment is young, competitive, and fast paced. Training is excellent and the sales team is growing extremely fast so advancement opportunities look good at the moment. Management is good and will take time to make sure their people succeed. It's nice to be treated like an adult and a true investment to a company. The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of transparency with quotas at times. I guess that's the way it goes in any large sales force. It would be nice to have some more analytics or data about how quotas are formulated even if it is just a reflection of a large company goal for the quarter. Overall I would recommend this workplace to others.
Great job
Assistant in outdoor gym classes (Former Employee) –  Quebec13 April 2017
I assist the students in outdoor gym classes to help the teachers. I help by making sure the students are applying what they learned in class (LNT, or other knowledge), making sure they are not in danger and supervise.

I learned how to organize a hiking or winter camping trip, how to teach or help the students, how to lead a group and I got more experience in hiking and winter camping.

The workplace's atmosphere is very welcoming. You always want to learn more and learn to know other people.

The hardest part of the job is to deal with students who do not want to cooperate.

I most enjoyed learning things to the students, learning things from the experience and the teachers I was helping, being in nature and being physically active
Pros
Great people, always learning and being in the outdoors
Great part-time job for a student
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 January 2017
This is a job offered by the college for students who are enrolled only. It is a great part-time job, limited hours with excellent pay. The only problem would be lack of initiative from others. Everyone who is a lifeguard must teach swimming lessons and very few people want to take someones lessons shift which makes it hard to find substitutions.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
lack of initiative from co-workers
Dont get sick
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC10 January 2017
Administration is not supportive if you get sick for more than a short time. You are left to figure things out on your own, or have to reach out to the union for support.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
administration that doesnt care about its eployees
Incredibly fun work and learning experience at John Abbott College
Calculus & Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 December 2016
A typical day at work would be waking up early in the morning and join the international students that take part of the international students' program to help them to know their way through Montreal and show them how things work in college. My co-workers were all nice and had the priority of giving an environment of respect and simplicity for the students. The hardest part of the job was to give nothing but the best service to the students, but at the same time, it was this what made this job very satisfying. I learned how to communicate with people that are having troubles with a new environment and to be patient. I also improved my social skills and felt glad that I had the chance to help a lot of people during their new experience.
Excellent
Physics' Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2016
They give students a great pay that allows them to focus on school. The hours fit well within our schedule and are not too strenuous. Interactions with students were always interesting, with questions that challenged tutors to reflect deeply on their material.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive, fun workplace
Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC28 June 2016
This was an interesting job, everyday that I came in to work there was always something new to do. Most of the time it is the same thing but done in different ways. It kept me on my toes since I never knew what to expect. Everyone was nice and kind and if something were to come up and you were unable to make it then there is no problem.
Pros
fun, interesting
Cons
chaotic at times, at time too many people taking charge
Good environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 May 2016
and decent pay. Gave me the opportunity to learn better methods of communicating my knowledge. The hardest part of the job is probably the challenge of communicating your ideas to the person you are teaching. Not everyone has the same ability to grasp different topics, making the experience different from one student to the next.
Great place to work awesome people
Special Education Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2015
Good place to work, lots of room to grow and develop. Many different positions available. Good benefits, good pay scale
Friendly, efficient, calm
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Anne de Bellevue, Quebec3 March 2015
A friendly and efficient environment to work in. Management is helpful and kind and do their utmost to make you comfortable. The environment and building is beautiful and spacious. Students are eager to learn and well - mannered.
job security
Professor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 July 2014
I have been involved in developing curriculum and teaching within an esteemed Canadian vocational college (John Abbott College, Montreal, Quebec). I am teaching various courses which include both theory (lectures in class) and hands on work in a state of the art pilot-scale manufacturing laboratory.
Great part-time job for students
Student Technician (Ceramics) (Former Employee) –  Sainte-anne-de-bellevue, QC30 June 2014
I worked here for 2 semesters as a student technician. I learned a lot and I developed a critical eye for details and design. Great paying job to think that I am just a regular student. The experience was the special part of this job. it could be tough at times especially during the end of each semester but everything in it was worthwhile.
Pros
professional staff
Cons
n/a
Reasonable hours
Head Coach Men's Basketball (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 April 2014
The hours were flexible, and gave me the freedom to have a balance family life.