JOEY Restaurants Employee Reviews

Fast paced and customer experience driven
Server and Guest Service Team (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2017
Fast paced work environment, high standards with a large emphasis with multitasking. Lots of knowledge to learn about food and liquor. Customer experience is the most important value within this business.
Pros
Good tips and staff discounts
Cons
Overly demanding customers
Stressful work environment and long hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 October 2017
This job asked too much of its employees for little pay, management and staff were good people but when it came to balancing life and work they were not the best at accommodating this.
Amazing company to work for!
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
Amazing company to work for. As a manager you have a great work.life balance as well as work with talented and creative people in all levels. A wonderful company to be a part of!
Pros
salary, benefits, culture
Cons
non!
Zero Incentive
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2017
-Long hours for minimum wage
-Non accommodating
-lots to learn if you don't mind being payed minimum wage for maximum effort
- Pay for your own food there on shift
- No breaks
-McDonald's pays more starting than Joey does after working there for a year
Cons
Everything except co workers, Leaders are the worst, Labor Law breakers
Awesome people. Chances for promotion. Great enviroment.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2017
Gotta love working at Joeys for their uplifting settings. The people are nice and caring. Management is always there to help. Hours are flexible and training is loads of fun!
Pros
Cheap partner menu
Cons
Very busy
Learn a lot for Managment when on the Leader Role
Sous Chef - Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2017
Have learned a lot working with JOEY. Will always look at this place as my way of getting into management as they teach you all the necessary tools ad ways of running a successful business.
Prodcutive place and fun place to work.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC, Burraed street.5 June 2017
Great location was, my first kitchen job out of highschool. Taught lots about cooking. Gave me the skills to move forward in this kind of career. I would recommended this place to newcomers to the culinary industrie.
Great atmosphere with amazing growth opportunity
Server/Private Dining Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2017
Great place to work if you are 100% committed to growing within the company. They take care of their own and recognize accomplishments. The Christmas gala's are unforgettable as well.
great place
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
great place if you want to learn, however upper management is not good at making sure you have a solid work life balance. Make sure you communicate well with all employees
Great People
Senior Manager, Chef in Training, Purchaser (Current Employee) –  Sheway Gardens, Etobicoke24 April 2017
Great job for young chefs looking for structure to their development. Dynamic workplace with a diverse group of employees. Fair pay, work/life balance.

Want to know more about JOEY Restaurants?

Ask a question
Great atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 April 2017
Amazing manager. Great work enviroment. Amazing Staff. Extremely busy always fun and never hard at all. Great people. Great team. Great company to work for
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2017
Learnt a lot about being a team while I worked at Joey Head chefs was always willing to help and would be there for any questions or concerns that I had.
Terrible and Misleading Company
Cook (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ON2 March 2017
Misleading Company
Mislead many times by management. I was told I would be paid a certain amount, and upon signing papers, I was told I would be paid less than minimum wage on paper plus "tip out".
No breaks, LONG days past scheduled work times. No work life balance.
Cons
Long days
Fun work place
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2017
I have been with the company for three and a half years. Fun place, good team work, good food quality. I enjoy my time working there.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Amazing
Closing coach role (Former Employee) –  All4 February 2017
Nothing bad about this company. Loved the place. Lots of cool people, good learning opportunities, hands on training and room to grow. Great for the one who want's to be a chef.
Pros
Cons
long hours sometimes
Pretentious, superficial, nepotism
Guest Service Leader/ Server (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 December 2016
working for Joeys was the worst experience that I have had. The women I worked with were ridiculous, and the managers even more incompetent. Putting 20 yr old girls as a manager is not a good idea. I have worked in the service industry for many years, joeys was by far the worst company i have ever had the displeasure of working for.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2016
good work environment. got to work with a lot of great workers but management needs work. the employees deserve more than what they get.
Intense Organization, Rewarding Position!
Head Office Partner (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 December 2016
In looking through some of these reviews, I get what a lot of people are saying with regards to the pace and pressure, I personally would describe JOEY as an 'intense' place to work some times. However, this intensity has pushed me to better myself and to work at a level (alongside others at a level) greater than any previous job. The passion, focus and determination that is abundant throughout the organization is addictive and motivating. Not for everyone, sure, but for the right person- what a cool place to be. Like the charter says, 'Unleashing Potential'. That's why I am here.
Pros
- Great compensation & benefit package (Can only speak for myself)
Cons
- Can be fly-by-the-seat of your pants from time to time
Fun place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 December 2016
Joey's is a fun place to work at and has a lot to offer such as learning and growing in the company.

I work in BOH as Line/Prep cook. My work hours at Joey is mostly evening with that being said I am reviewing on how a typical day at work in the evening at the station I work at.

First few things I do/check when walk on-line are: Protein, sauces, rice stock, and other items to see if I need to stock anything so that I don't run out of the items during peak times. Check the sanitation-water and change it if it is dirty. Clean up the station and make it look presentable for the night service.

About management: What I have learned from the experience while working at Joeys is you need to tell your leader/management that how good job you have been doing in order to be recognized and that's a little grey area because the other places I worked at where supervisor/manager come to you and tell you how good or bad you are at your job. But at Joey's leader/management only come talk to you if you are not performing at the expected level and get written-up for that.

Co-workers: Co-workers at Joey's are great. Specially with the ones you have been working when you first started.

Hardest part about the job is transitioning from day shift to night shift and the station is left terrible condition such as: Stocks is not at the par level, station is not cleaned, Sanitation water is not changed, Pasta water pot left unattended and its almost burning etc. and to top that you get hit with bills and you literally have nothing to cook those bills. Also when you are paired with new
  more... hire and you get told that they have been trained and know everything about this station but they are not even prepared and when you ask them to cook particular item and they don't know what goes in that particular item. In the end you are stuck with them and train them while putting put the food and spec test them at the same time.

Enjoyable part is the opposite of hardest part.
Pros
Discount on meals and drinks
Cons
not a lot of hours when you are looking for more hours
Profit before People
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2016
A company that claims to be people focused and one of the best employers in Canada. The surveys are largely forced and supervised. Regional Managers are plastic people with robotic "coached" responses. What they say performance is measured by is different from the actual (politics and gut feel). They talk a lot about retention but their actions clearly speak otherwise.

Recently a staff party was held for the general staff of two restaurants but the majority of employees were scheduled to work and could not attend. The company would not close the restaurant or get relief from a neighboring Joey.

Very rarely are the staff asked for input on the restaurant, but when it does occur you are punished for not falling in line.

I would recommend a place like the keg, where they treat their staff exceptionally well.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Overstaffed, inconsiderate or unprofessional managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JOEY Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.