Jewish General Hospital Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing team !
manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 23, 2016
Every day is a challenge. :)

The hospital is like a little village, every day is different and always a learning experience :)

The management team work very hard to improve the quality of services provided to the patients.

The coworkers all pull together as one.

Working for this hospital and with all the different people that make it run has made me experience what it really id to be part of a TEAM that cares.
Pros
Ongoing training, employee benifits
Overworked & Underpaid
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecSeptember 22, 2015
The hospital is under heavy budget cuts and it takes a toll on support staff. There are layoffs, forced early retirements, demotions and more. We can't even order letterheads for the Doctors anymore because they are too expensive. We cannot send mail to other doctors, fax only, to save on stamps. Pay is capped and there is nowhere to be promoted to when you are an administrative assistant, only nurses. Management comes from outside of the hospital and did not grow within. All of the clinics are overbooked, there are more patients than doctors and everyone ends up working through lunches and overtime even though we are not paid for the lunch hour and not allowed to clock overtime. Salaries are pre-determined and you can never receive a raise, only a few cents each year due to inflation.
Pros
4 weeks vacation
Cons
No room for advancement, static pay, unpaid overtime
Great Staff and environment to work
Student Physiotherapist - ICU (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 19, 2016
Worked in the ICU, where I was responsible for mobilizing patients to prevent deconditioning and getting them back to their baseline level post cardiac surgery.
Learned a lot regarding the care of patients and their safe mobility.
The staff in the ICU is exceptionally friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the work was dealing with different lines that the patients were attached to in the ICU and ensure their safe mobility.
The most enjoyable part of the work was seeing the good progress of the patients and the team effort for an optimal patient care.
Very friendly hospital to work at.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 26, 2016
I volunteered at this hospital and the doctors and nurses from the different departments are really nice and sweet to work with. I learnt how to act around certain patients who need more care and that we have to be patient around them. I learnt alot on different diseases because we had lessons on some nights during the time that i volunteered.
It was a 3 week stage. Great first experience in the medical field
Administration Clerk - Dermatology - School Stage (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecMay 17, 2016
Learned to great patients, answer calls and book appointments. Work in a team enviorement. Hardest part was to deny patients appointments due to overbooking.
Pros
Working in the hospital
Cons
non
Good opportunities for students looking for Internships
Logistics and Material Intern (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecApril 21, 2016
I got some experience from this internship. It gave me, not only a greater understanding of what I’ve learned from school happening in a real life, but also the ability to quickly adapt to new environment.
Great team of people to work with
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 12, 2016
Great work hours
with an excellent work life balance
4 weeks of vacations to start
no education plan

easy access to work near subway/buses etc
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
low salary
Where I began..
Registered Nurse Hemodialysis (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 22, 2016
I've worked at the JGH since the start of my career and has been my 'home base' for 15 years. I will always have good memories to reflect back on of my time there.
intellectually stimulating and personally rewarding work in helping people in the health care domain.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  montreal,qc.June 9, 2012
This is an acute care hospital services a multi-cultural and growing elderly population. Its advancing its expertise,research,and services in all areas of hospital care. The focus is primarily to provide excellent patient care. Every service benefits from a multi-disciplinary approach.
In order to work in this domain one has to be compassionate, skilled, a multi-tasker, and a team player.
Pros
multi-disciplinary work, striving for excellence in care, stellar medical care.
Cons
health care system is understaffed makes it difficult to meet the needs of the population adequately
Overall good
Orthopédie- secrétaire médicale (Former Employee) –  OrthopaedicsNovember 2, 2015
A typical day included booking appointments, document transcription, dictations, helping to fill insurance documents, etc. Dealt with clinics, management and co-workers.Hard part was dealing with the bureaucracy and red tape. The most enjoyable part was knowing that patients were being helped.
Pros
Public relations
Cons
Bureaucracy
Good Place to Work
Registered Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 27, 2015
I great place to work. Staff are helpful and supportive. The hardest part is shift work which is typical of being a nurse but its nice to be able to work 50 % day rotation. I would recommend it as a good place to work.
Pros
Good colleagues and interesting learning opportunities
Cons
Rotating shift work for Nurses
Great and rewarding job.
Administrative Assistant to the Chief of Staff (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 16, 2015
It was a treat going into work everyday, working with wonderful doctors and associates. It's always difficult working in a hospital, however they make the time more enjoyable.
productive work and very challenging environment
STERILIZATION ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  montrealDecember 30, 2014
Working at the Jewish hospital is a challenging and a motivated job and a continous learning process.I have learned new things everyday . on how to be very careful in doing my job with much care and concentration as we are dealing with all kinds of instrument that are being used in all kinds of surgery procedure were the patients health condition is the top priority.
Pros
free lunch during christmas holidays
Cons
long hours of standing pron to strong smell of cleaning solution.
Amazing and Interesting
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  montreal,qcJuly 30, 2015
get to help our Doctors with their filing and administrative tasks

help those in the office with whatever they may need help with.

guide those paitients who may be lost or simply need extra aid,.
Never a dull moment and enjoy interacting with the patients.
Administrative Agent/Unit Agent (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecMarch 17, 2015
I enjoy working as Unit agent/Receptionist in the Oncology department. I meet and greet the patients who come for chemotherapy. I also arrange and book their follow-up appointments. The hardest part of my job is meeting and getting attached to some great human beings but unfortunately, sometimes their journey comes to an end.
Pros
4 weeks vacation.
Cons
hiring freeze so no permanent positions.
productive
Filing and office help to the Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 14, 2015
Learned how to:
Alphabetize and numericize files.
Work with computers
E.g. Data entry, Hospital Software (Opera, Clinibase)
Pros
pleasant working environment, friendly
Great experience
Medical Council of Canada (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCMay 20, 2015
Great work experience at the JGH for Medical Council. I learned how to be a fast-learner, how to be organized and how to be responsible as well. I got the chance to work individually and in a team: it was a great experience.
Excellent Job Security
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 22, 2014
The Jewish hospital is unionized and job security is available however management should be a little more involved.
Pros
comfortable work environment
Cons
late hours
fun place just down the hall is were the babys are born
Housekeeping of patient's rooms and offices (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2012
start with a good morning and then go in the rooms of patients and clean the garbage the the washrooms , say hello if there a wake try and help if need be. I enjoy my work very much and the staff are great makes the day go well if someone is having a hard day we do our best to help them though the day. the most enjoyable part is seeing everyone every weekend
Pros
you meet new people and sometimes see old faces
Cons
lots of them never go back home again
Bilingual Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 8, 2012
The JGH is a great healthcare establishment to work with. In my opinion, one of the best hospitals in Quebec. Continuous upgrading in the modern technology industry of healthcare. A leader in healthcare breakthroughs and research. An atmosphere where doctors from around the world come to gain the advantages in their internship and expertise. Whether they are from the Far East or the Western hemisphere. Great spirit of ambiance.
What they need to work on is regaining the position and authority of running their own Nursing School in Quebec. Many of their preposes and orderlies would like to gain the advantage in studies of nursing while continuing to work but are unable to, due to mandated government restrictions. The JGH needs to work around that obstacle. I believe they have the resources to own and operate their School of Nursing minus the governmental legislations. Races, cultures, languages, religions and creeds are all welcomed to live in harmony at the JGH.
Pros
races, cultures, languages, religions and creeds are all welcomed to live in harmony at the jgh.
Cons
regain the position and authority of running their own nursing school in quebec.

4.4