Jean Machine Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun place
key holder (Former Employee), hillcrestJune 17, 2015
fun and motivating with many incentives to get employees working, could have had more benefits and staff to help other workers maintain at home lives better, but all in alleged environment
Great job during school
Customer service- Assist customers (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMay 24, 2015
Pros: Meeting lots of new people
Cons: Short breaks
Working at Jean Machine was a great starting job, and job to have during school.
My typical day at Jean Machine would include being coached at the beginning of the shift, and recap of sales, conversion, and sales that we have( current or previous)
I would learn everything every day, such as reviewing the "product knowledge" binder of the many brands we carried, to insure I could best serve each customer with each question they had.
We would sell clothing, and we were taught how to increase sales by asking questions about client to gain a personal approach to the sale.
I would learn more about the customer and find more things we sold in store that would best suit the customer needs and wants.

Hardest part of my job would be standing on the feet all day, but also remembering the numerous brands we carry. With practice, it became easier.

Most enjoyable part of my job was not only having co-workers but when leaving Jean Machine, I felt I left with gaining friendships.
I really enjoyed making the customer feel welcome in the store, and getting to know each person that walked in the door.
I enjoy working at Jean Machine
Sales Member (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 10, 2015
The company is friendly and helped me further my knowledge in the sales industry. I would recommend others to work for such a well established company.
Closing day
Style specialist/key holder (Former Employee), Thornhill, ONApril 17, 2015
Pros: shopping
Cons: cleaning when store closed
Loved going to work, dressing up in the newest fashion and looking great was apart of my job. Of course best part was helping customers shop so technically I became a personal shopper. It was fun dressing up people or an occasion. My co-workers were fun and always full of stories.
fun
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), erin mills shopping centerApril 6, 2015
Pros: fun, rewarding
Cons: atmostphere
working on comission if good if your honest with your customers, but people who work there throu are not the nicest and are budget driven
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Floor Leader (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONApril 6, 2015
Always keeps me busy and there is never a dull moment. The staff is competitive and always make you strive to do your very best in all aspects of the job.
Fun workplace
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: discount on nice clothing
Cons: unprofessional manager
I had some great co-workers during my time at Jean Machine. Although my manager was nice, she was very unprofessional and often brought personal issues to work and would cry in my face.
It was fun to help customers find clothing that best suited their bodies and style.
great place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 23, 2014
The company had great incentives and contests for employees to encourage employees to maintain company standards
Good clothes terrible management..
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 4, 2014
Pros: clothing discount, theres never a "slow season" since they sell all types of clothing, good customers.
Cons: poor training to new staff
I really didn't enjoy working here at all, the only reason I stayed as long as I did was for the clothing and the staff. I was part of the management team which was great but with the lack of training I had received, even after discussing it with my superiors it was hardly addressed, I might as well have been hired as a part-time employee. Co-workers were great for the most part, but like I said the management needs improvement or they needs more training themselves.
Close knitted company with knowledgeable individuals
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 6, 2014
Pros: quick turn over and replenishment time
Cons: very little room or chance to advance
a typical day at work would be different depending on the time of the year, when we are rolling out product for spring/summer or fall/winter days at the office get hectic to say the least. as a team we have a divided list of departments we constantly monitor of drops or rises in sales on a wtd (week to date), mtd ( month to date) and ytd (year to date) numbers. We then compare those to numbers from previous dates in the same season and continue to break it down by department, down to the style, and then the same for particular items. this process gets divided and then shared. Another daily task is then analyzing the successes in sales and impact on budget and eventually calculating the "clean" revenue. A not so enjoyable part of the job is calculating money lost on items that were not successful, and then calculating further the difference lost every time we promote the items at lower prices and watching revenue deplete as we struggle to get rid of dead inventory. Other days or sometimes everyday we communicate our findings and learn from also, the visual merchandising teams, sales managers, and our sales reps. We break down the budgets given to us and everyday monitor how all aspects of the process effect the final numbers, monthly.

I have learned that it is not always the items that you personally enjoy or the style you necessarily go towards, which sell the best. I continuously get surprised and impressed by the styles that do well, that I didn't think, would and vice versa. The most definite thing I have learned that it is the most unpredictable series of events that one – more... could never foresee the future of, and yet also the most exhilarating and exciting aspects of this job which drives me so much. I really enjoy that the success of this job doesn't rely on personal preference of fashion, but the personal preference of the end consumer. If one is able to openly allow the public dictate their decisions, one would have potential at this job. realizing what the consumer wants, is all you need to know, and then give it to them. if you are wrong, you are in trouble. and there is no way around this and never will be, if you push items that are no longer of interest, you lost them, if you release a trend that is not yet a trend, you lost them. Timing is the most critical part of the process and its accuracy is completely reliant on the success or failure of reaching budgets, and having hits, or failing to do so and costing the company unbearable amount of money.

Management is very small and very much family run and favored. positions are being held by those that are decent and adequate at their roles, but do not get considered to be moved aside for excellent and outstanding potential candidates, because of seniority and favoritism. Many things get forgiven due to this circumstance and its quite unpleasant and unprofessional to witness. besides that, the people as people, very nice and most, are very driven and productive. – less
Great people, horrible company.
Warehouse Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2014
Pros: free lunches, always travelling
Cons: long hours
At Jean Machine, I was an outbound sales associate first, and warehouse associate second. During my role as an outbound sales associate, we would travel around Ontario on certain weekends from Thursday-Sunday, and we would set up and run a "warehouse sale" at various hotel venues. We worked in a very tight-knit team and ran things extremely efficiently. We had a core team, and each person knew their roles. Unfortunately, there was a clear separation from management and laborers, which made it impossible to move up in the company. I was once offered an assistant manager position, only to find out that it was informal and was not made to sign any forms. I then found out that the same position was offered to my co-worker, who was also not made to sign any forms to make it official.

During the times we were not running any sales, I would be working inside the warehouse to prepare for the ones that were coming.

The hardest part of this job was the demanding hours (we worked 11-12 hours Thursday-Friday during our sales), but the fact that we got to travel and explore Ontario was the most enjoyable of any job I have ever had.
fashion,fun, and music, but must committ much of your life to it
Store Manager (Former Employee), Peterborough,ONNovember 29, 2013
Pros: great clothes, great employees
Cons: long hours, always work holidays
My main priority at Jean Machine was to help our customers find the perfect pair of jeans. I enjoyed working with our customers, most of them were regulars. The staff at our location were like a family. We were responsible daily for sales budgets, merchandising, and customer service. We were in contact with our area manager on a daily basis. I was responsible for the hiring and training of all employees, sales budgets and results, and any customer service issues or inquiries. The best part of my job was helping a customer find the perfect outfit. When someone left my store happy and confident in their purchase it was a great sense of accomplishment. The hardest part of the job was to meet sales budgets in a struggling economy. There were many factors that affected our sales, and most of them were beyond my control. Working every weekend and every holiday was also a downfall of the job. Customer complaints and returns were not my favourite part of the job either, but when I could resolve the issue satisfactorily for both parties, that also was a great feeling. I worked for Jean Machine for 7 years. I gained much experience from my employment here, however the stress levels that go along with the manager position far outweighed the benefits.
Very Good Training!
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), North Bay, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Jean Machine is focused on helping everyone grow
it was a fun workplace very dedicated to customer service! If you don't like to talk to people it's not the place for you!

Its a very outgoing environment very friendly , customers always had good things to say about the service which made the job rewarding.
relaxed company
Store Manager (Current Employee), st laurentJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: discounts on merchandise
Cons: pay is horrible
*come to work to manage the store
* i learned many aspects of running a business
* hire management is not supportive
* always surrounded by amazing people
*hardest part of the job is dealing with all the negative feedback no positive feed back ever
* having a good time with the staff and keeping it positive in store
fun job for young people
Co-Manager (Current Employee), London, ONOctober 18, 2012
Pros: free coffees with brag sales
Cons: long unpredictable hours, very high demand
Your job is to look sexy and sell your butt off, being social and being able to balance tasks with sales. Very sales oriented, fun job if you don't have a family. High turn over rate for part time sales associates but management is an excellent place to be.