Jean Machine Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere, rough sales
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2017
Lots of pressure on sales and lots of expectations if you're new to the environment. Occasional long hours Great training system if you are working from the ground up. Lots of opportunity to advance and great to work with a small tight knit team.
Pros
Great team, staff discounts
Cons
long hours, low pay
Awful work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2017
You are expected to work OT and not get paid for it.
Higher management will use you to do their dirty work and ten throw you under the bus to make themselves look good. No wonder the company went bankrupt under the new director of operation.
Learned a lot about the retail business and how it operates
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 March 2017
Working at Jean Machine was a positive experience for me. The fast-paced environment of working in retail helped my passion and desire to work harder. The environment and management of Jean Machine also helped develop my social skills through working amongst many customers and clientele.
Pros
The discount of clothes was a benefit of working at Jean Machine.
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Draining and unprofessional ran
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 February 2017
A typical day at work is working 12 hours and hiring daily cause noone every stays. The owner relies on you to run his business, creates unrelaistic numbers and has very little understanding of his business. Company has now hired his 28 yr old son to run the company and file for bankruptcy cause they wanted cheaper rent!?
Fast-paced environment
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2017
A typical day involved selling clothing to customers and stocking shelves. I learned to work with a variety of different personalities and how to operate point-of-sale machine.
Overall a great place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 January 2017
A job that is always fun to go to. I've learned very much while at this job - it has taught me customer service skills that go above and beyond, as well as how to up-sell merchandise.
Long hours with high expectations
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 December 2016
Daily routine began with setting up the days goals (both store and individuals working that day).
High expectations for managers personal sales including a higher SPH goal then the sale team has (sometimes more than double).
A lot of work to get products and help from head office.
Learn a lot about the business and very focused on KPIs and coaching.
Pros
Job security.
Cons
Long hours, no advancement opportunities.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale Toronto20 November 2016
learnt how to engage with people in order to figure out their requirements and expectations. Mostly cleaned and renovated store so that it always looked presentable.
I love the people I work with
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario14 November 2016
I love this company, I work with great people, and Its a great environment. I love building relationships with the customers that walk in and out of our store. Jean Machine is all about us knowing our product knowledge, interacting with customers to the best of our ability, and showing them the 4 steps of selling. I love the clothing at Jean Machine its great quality and I rarely have angry customers. overall i'm happy to be working for this company.
Pros
commission
Cons
long hours 10 - 9 shifts
One of the worst clothing stores
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 October 2016
My co-workers were all very rude and aggressive, the direct manager would be disrespectful at all times and did not make the job enjoyable or tolerable in any way.
Unprofessional management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 October 2016
The management is extremely unprofessional. There was too much drama. Although I love the company I did not like working in the atmosphere with the management in charge
Productive and fun, conducive to a positive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON18 October 2016
I enjoy working with my coworkers, we regularly push one another to be better sellers.

Work culture is positive, making it easy to balance class and life with it.
the company at the time was going through alot of growing pains
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON23 September 2016
this company had a lot of potential, but at the time i worked there they were going trough a major leadership change in corporate that really effected lot of store. it was almost impossible to get any support from your DM, most stores were understaffed, it was a tough go for a couple years. what kept me there for so long were a few of the people i got to work with, and over the years got very close too. i hear great things about the company now.
True Canadian Retailer
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario21 September 2016
I worked for American companies where you spend 90% of your time folding and putting away stock.
At Jean Machine it is all about the customer and you drop what you are doing to satisfy what they need.
I really like that mentality and it makes the job fun!
Retail isn't 9-5 hours so it can be demanding but I would take that over working restaurant hours!!

Great company to work for!
Pros
culture, customers, coworkers
Cons
cyclical sales
Fundamental Sales Techniques at its Finest
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2016
My most valuable sales skills were absorbed working in this company back in high school. I was taught the fundamental tips behind successful multiple sales techniques and multi-tasking. This proved to be very valuable in all future sales positions. Great memories!
Would NOT recommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2016
Stay away if you can. Unless you are extremely desperate then apply for their jobs, they will hire whoever instantly as they ALWAYS have high turnovers. People just leave due to the nature of this company: unorganized, no strategies/ structure in profiting (other than having a terrible and disrespectful district manager verbally abusing you by phone/ email every hour), shipments delay often, just cheap cheap cheap. Terrible commission and terrible pay. It made me wonder how other AMs made a living with this ridiculously low pay. An assistant manager gets paid less than a key holder , how does that make any sense ? The company's got to really knock some sense and sit down with the entire company and go through how this Jean Machine thing can continue to sustain itself. If you aren't profiting, admit it and understand why.
Pros
Fortunate to have worked with a nice team, most JM stores aren't like that
Cons
Disrespectful district manager, long brutal hours, slow traffic, buyers terrible at clothing selections, way underpaid, everything in general is terrible
Productive work place however disorganized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 April 2016
Due to the fact that the location I work at is a very low volume store work tends to be boring at times but there is always tasking to be done so I find ways to keep occupied. This job has taught me many things about the value of a customer and how hard work and dedication can make a difference. Although the company itself may be a bit disorganized at times overall it has been a wonderful experience.
Pros
decent sized shifts, closing time
Cons
No place for advancement, Disorganized company
Great Job for Sales focused people
Full Time Sales Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON20 April 2016
Jean Machine is a great place to work for the clothes, and the job itself. It is a very sales focused retailer and for those of us who love to sell and make people fall in love with clothes,we thrive! Our days consist of budgets that we are required to meet. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen because we live in a slower city where mall traffic is minimum. Jean Machine has been great in helping me to develop my leadership skills more practically and with more confidence. My co-workers are great. We work as a team and that helps us to reach our daily goals. My manager and assistant manager are great and supportive of anything that I bring to them. The hardest part of the job would be that our store is very slow. Some days we may only see about 5-10 people and since we have quite a few slow times, most of our tasks are done by mid-day if we don't receive stock. If we receive stock that may keep us busy for a few hours. The best part of the job is my management team. We work very well together and always keep ourselves up and lifted even when the day is going by so slow.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Minimal traffic means slow long days
Honestly horrible, if you can work somewhere else DO
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON25 March 2016
Jean Machine was the worst job I ever had. It started with a lie that I would be making $12/hour which was actually $11.25/hour as the assistant manager. They required me to work 42 hours a week and only paid me for 40, breaks were not included so I ended up being at the store for 50 hours a week and my breaks were constantly interrupted. I worked very hard for this company, even filling in for my manager when they sent her away and got literally nothing for my sacrifice and unpaid work hours. This is not a job to work if you are looking to actually make money as you are required to wear current Jean Machine clothes from head to toe except shoes and it is very, very expensive especially since even management makes less than $400/week after taxes in some cases. Commission is minimal and only really worth it if you work in a high volume store which are very hard to get into. Little advancement opportunity. I did learn a lot about selling and jeans though which was kind of nice as a life lesson.
Pros
Fun Company Socials at Christmas and Summer
Cons
everything else, long hours, low pay, bad treatment by district managers
Has room for improvement
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2016
I personally had a mediocre experience with working at Jean Machine. The staff was pretty fantastic to work with because our manager put together a good team, and we all pushed to work hard, but there were constant promises of advancement that were never fullfilled. And using promises of a promotion to keep staff, is never a professional way to build a team filled with passion and confidence. I would have chosen to stay and work at Jean Machine, but the hours weren't there, the false promises and lack of accountability led to the conclusion that unless the issues with employee advancement opportunities are rectified, I wouldn't recommend this as a place to apply. But all in all, it provided a decent workplace experience.
Pros
Great looking product to wear and add to my closet.
Cons
The clothing was expensive, and there was constant promise of advancement, and no delivery on those promises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jean Machine. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9