Jean Machine Employee Reviews

Finally a great manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 May 2017
I work for Jean Machine and I can finally say the store is in great hands. I work with a manager they hired and she cares about helping us to succeed. I have and worked with a lot of manager for this location and so far this one has the experience to run a store properly. No one else cared and the company didn't care who ran it. I can finally see good things for this store. She is also very good dealing with all the angry customers we have.
Pros
Great boss. Love to come to work
Cons
not enough hours
Chill job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 May 2017
Cool people, easy job, straight forwards lots of jeans and brands to memorize and how each fits but yeah it's not bad. Found a new and better job so u unfortunately had to quit, other than that it's a good part time job if you're just looking
Pros
Discounts, friends
Cons
Standing all day, nothing else really
Not a great work enviorment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
The management with JM is very weak. Hours were constantly cut and expectations keep rising. The store manager would constantly pander to favourites while the rest of the employees are looked down on.
Pros
No pros
Cons
everything is a con
Good atmosphere - Heavy Sales
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 April 2017
Overall a good place to work; some managers were a little tough while others were a little more lenient which made it a little difficult when helping out at other locations. Sales associates received the lowest discount which was frustrating due to the fact that the sales associates have to wear the product in season; for someone not receiving many hours this makes it difficult to purchase clothing because of the high prices; meanwhile head office sits at the warehouse all day and get 50% off which is double the discount sales associate receive.
Pros
50% off once every season
Cons
most of the time short staffed so you're overworking and constantly covering other employees shifts
Fun atmosphere, rough sales
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2017
Lots of pressure on sales and lots of expectations if you're new to the environment. Occasional long hours Great training system if you are working from the ground up. Lots of opportunity to advance and great to work with a small tight knit team.
Pros
Great team, staff discounts
Cons
long hours, low pay
Awful work place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2017
You are expected to work OT and not get paid for it.
Higher management will use you to do their dirty work and ten throw you under the bus to make themselves look good. No wonder the company went bankrupt under the new director of operation.
Learned a lot about the retail business and how it operates
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 March 2017
Working at Jean Machine was a positive experience for me. The fast-paced environment of working in retail helped my passion and desire to work harder. The environment and management of Jean Machine also helped develop my social skills through working amongst many customers and clientele.
Pros
The discount of clothes was a benefit of working at Jean Machine.
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Draining and unprofessional ran
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 February 2017
A typical day at work is working 12 hours and hiring daily cause noone every stays. The owner relies on you to run his business, creates unrelaistic numbers and has very little understanding of his business. Company has now hired his 28 yr old son to run the company and file for bankruptcy cause they wanted cheaper rent!?
Fast-paced environment
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2017
A typical day involved selling clothing to customers and stocking shelves. I learned to work with a variety of different personalities and how to operate point-of-sale machine.
Overall a great place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 January 2017
A job that is always fun to go to. I've learned very much while at this job - it has taught me customer service skills that go above and beyond, as well as how to up-sell merchandise.
Long hours with high expectations
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 December 2016
Daily routine began with setting up the days goals (both store and individuals working that day).
High expectations for managers personal sales including a higher SPH goal then the sale team has (sometimes more than double).
A lot of work to get products and help from head office.
Learn a lot about the business and very focused on KPIs and coaching.
Pros
Job security.
Cons
Long hours, no advancement opportunities.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale Toronto20 November 2016
learnt how to engage with people in order to figure out their requirements and expectations. Mostly cleaned and renovated store so that it always looked presentable.
I love the people I work with
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario14 November 2016
I love this company, I work with great people, and Its a great environment. I love building relationships with the customers that walk in and out of our store. Jean Machine is all about us knowing our product knowledge, interacting with customers to the best of our ability, and showing them the 4 steps of selling. I love the clothing at Jean Machine its great quality and I rarely have angry customers. overall i'm happy to be working for this company.
Pros
commission
Cons
long hours 10 - 9 shifts
One of the worst clothing stores
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 October 2016
My co-workers were all very rude and aggressive, the direct manager would be disrespectful at all times and did not make the job enjoyable or tolerable in any way.
Unprofessional management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 October 2016
The management is extremely unprofessional. There was too much drama. Although I love the company I did not like working in the atmosphere with the management in charge
Productive and fun, conducive to a positive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON18 October 2016
I enjoy working with my coworkers, we regularly push one another to be better sellers.

Work culture is positive, making it easy to balance class and life with it.
the company at the time was going through alot of growing pains
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON23 September 2016
this company had a lot of potential, but at the time i worked there they were going trough a major leadership change in corporate that really effected lot of store. it was almost impossible to get any support from your DM, most stores were understaffed, it was a tough go for a couple years. what kept me there for so long were a few of the people i got to work with, and over the years got very close too. i hear great things about the company now.
True Canadian Retailer
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario21 September 2016
I worked for American companies where you spend 90% of your time folding and putting away stock.
At Jean Machine it is all about the customer and you drop what you are doing to satisfy what they need.
I really like that mentality and it makes the job fun!
Retail isn't 9-5 hours so it can be demanding but I would take that over working restaurant hours!!

Great company to work for!
Pros
culture, customers, coworkers
Cons
cyclical sales
Fundamental Sales Techniques at its Finest
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2016
My most valuable sales skills were absorbed working in this company back in high school. I was taught the fundamental tips behind successful multiple sales techniques and multi-tasking. This proved to be very valuable in all future sales positions. Great memories!
Would NOT recommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2016
Stay away if you can. Unless you are extremely desperate then apply for their jobs, they will hire whoever instantly as they ALWAYS have high turnovers. People just leave due to the nature of this company: unorganized, no strategies/ structure in profiting (other than having a terrible and disrespectful district manager verbally abusing you by phone/ email every hour), shipments delay often, just cheap cheap cheap. Terrible commission and terrible pay. It made me wonder how other AMs made a living with this ridiculously low pay. An assistant manager gets paid less than a key holder , how does that make any sense ? The company's got to really knock some sense and sit down with the entire company and go through how this Jean Machine thing can continue to sustain itself. If you aren't profiting, admit it and understand why.
Pros
Fortunate to have worked with a nice team, most JM stores aren't like that
Cons
Disrespectful district manager, long brutal hours, slow traffic, buyers terrible at clothing selections, way underpaid, everything in general is terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Jean Machine. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9