Jean Machine Employee Reviews in Canada

Would NOT recommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
Stay away if you can. Unless you are extremely desperate then apply for their jobs, they will hire whoever instantly as they ALWAYS have high turnovers. People just leave due to the nature of this company: unorganized, no strategies/ structure in profiting (other than having a terrible and disrespectful district manager verbally abusing you by phone/ email every hour), shipments delay often, just cheap cheap cheap. Terrible commission and terrible pay. It made me wonder how other AMs made a living with this ridiculously low pay. An assistant manager gets paid less than a key holder , how does that make any sense ? The company's got to really knock some sense and sit down with the entire company and go through how this Jean Machine thing can continue to sustain itself. If you aren't profiting, admit it and understand why.
Pros
Fortunate to have worked with a nice team, most JM stores aren't like that
Cons
Disrespectful district manager, long brutal hours, slow traffic, buyers terrible at clothing selections, way underpaid, everything in general is terrible
Great Job for Sales focused people
Full Time Sales Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 20, 2016
Jean Machine is a great place to work for the clothes, and the job itself. It is a very sales focused retailer and for those of us who love to sell and make people fall in love with clothes,we thrive! Our days consist of budgets that we are required to meet. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen because we live in a slower city where mall traffic is minimum. Jean Machine has been great in helping me to develop my leadership skills more practically and with more confidence. My co-workers are great. We work as a team and that helps us to reach our daily goals. My manager and assistant manager are great and supportive of anything that I bring to them. The hardest part of the job would be that our store is very slow. Some days we may only see about 5-10 people and since we have quite a few slow times, most of our tasks are done by mid-day if we don't receive stock. If we receive stock that may keep us busy for a few hours. The best part of the job is my management team. We work very well together and always keep ourselves up and lifted even when the day is going by so slow.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Minimal traffic means slow long days
Honestly horrible, if you can work somewhere else DO
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMarch 25, 2016
Jean Machine was the worst job I ever had. It started with a lie that I would be making $12/hour which was actually $11.25/hour as the assistant manager. They required me to work 42 hours a week and only paid me for 40, breaks were not included so I ended up being at the store for 50 hours a week and my breaks were constantly interrupted. I worked very hard for this company, even filling in for my manager when they sent her away and got literally nothing for my sacrifice and unpaid work hours. This is not a job to work if you are looking to actually make money as you are required to wear current Jean Machine clothes from head to toe except shoes and it is very, very expensive especially since even management makes less than $400/week after taxes in some cases. Commission is minimal and only really worth it if you work in a high volume store which are very hard to get into. Little advancement opportunity. I did learn a lot about selling and jeans though which was kind of nice as a life lesson.
Pros
Fun Company Socials at Christmas and Summer
Cons
everything else, long hours, low pay, bad treatment by district managers
Has room for improvement
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 2, 2016
I personally had a mediocre experience with working at Jean Machine. The staff was pretty fantastic to work with because our manager put together a good team, and we all pushed to work hard, but there were constant promises of advancement that were never fullfilled. And using promises of a promotion to keep staff, is never a professional way to build a team filled with passion and confidence. I would have chosen to stay and work at Jean Machine, but the hours weren't there, the false promises and lack of accountability led to the conclusion that unless the issues with employee advancement opportunities are rectified, I wouldn't recommend this as a place to apply. But all in all, it provided a decent workplace experience.
Pros
Great looking product to wear and add to my closet.
Cons
The clothing was expensive, and there was constant promise of advancement, and no delivery on those promises.
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Jean machine is an amazing company to work for, i have great co-workers, and an awesome manager who make me love going to work everyday. I also like the fact that i am able to help my customers find the perfect outfit that they feel amazing in. It makes not only the customer happy but myself as well.
Pros
Amazing staff/ customers.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 6, 2015
I have learned so much from Jean Machine, from styles of jeans to how it should fit and on what body type. Management at Jean Machine is good, very flexible with schedules and always keeping us on top of our goals! Energy is great in the store, always keeping customers happy
Fun to work in.. until the budget comes out!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ScarbouroughSeptember 21, 2015
I loved helping customers find outfits and the jeans there are truly comfortable. couple cons: the management pushes you to upsell customers when you feel wrong doing it because you know they only came in for certain things.Daily/weekly budget really stressed me out.
Some of the co workers had the 'better then you' attitude
Pros
interacting with the customers and helping them feel good in what they wear/buy
Cons
budgets, management (only certain people of course)
Great Company
Sales Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 2, 2015
I loved working for this company. Its desire to help out all the customers they have is amazing. Its amazing to go to work and help a customer and know you made their day better.
fun place
key holder (Former Employee) –  hillcrestJune 17, 2015
fun and motivating with many incentives to get employees working, could have had more benefits and staff to help other workers maintain at home lives better, but all in alleged environment
Great job during school
Customer service- Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 24, 2015
Working at Jean Machine was a great starting job, and job to have during school.
My typical day at Jean Machine would include being coached at the beginning of the shift, and recap of sales, conversion, and sales that we have( current or previous)
I would learn everything every day, such as reviewing the "product knowledge" binder of the many brands we carried, to insure I could best serve each customer with each question they had.
We would sell clothing, and we were taught how to increase sales by asking questions about client to gain a personal approach to the sale.
I would learn more about the customer and find more things we sold in store that would best suit the customer needs and wants.

Hardest part of my job would be standing on the feet all day, but also remembering the numerous brands we carry. With practice, it became easier.

Most enjoyable part of my job was not only having co-workers but when leaving Jean Machine, I felt I left with gaining friendships.
I really enjoyed making the customer feel welcome in the store, and getting to know each person that walked in the door.
Pros
Meeting lots of new people
Cons
Short breaks
I enjoy working at Jean Machine
Sales Member (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 10, 2015
The company is friendly and helped me further my knowledge in the sales industry. I would recommend others to work for such a well established company.
Closing day
Style specialist/key holder (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONApril 17, 2015
Loved going to work, dressing up in the newest fashion and looking great was apart of my job. Of course best part was helping customers shop so technically I became a personal shopper. It was fun dressing up people or an occasion. My co-workers were fun and always full of stories.
Pros
shopping
Cons
cleaning when store closed
fun
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  erin mills shopping centerApril 6, 2015
working on comission if good if your honest with your customers, but people who work there throu are not the nicest and are budget driven
Pros
fun, rewarding
Cons
atmostphere
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 6, 2015
Always keeps me busy and there is never a dull moment. The staff is competitive and always make you strive to do your very best in all aspects of the job.
Fun workplace
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 29, 2015
I had some great co-workers during my time at Jean Machine. Although my manager was nice, she was very unprofessional and often brought personal issues to work and would cry in my face.
It was fun to help customers find clothing that best suited their bodies and style.
Pros
discount on nice clothing
Cons
unprofessional manager
great place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 23, 2014
The company had great incentives and contests for employees to encourage employees to maintain company standards
Good clothes terrible management..
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 4, 2014
I really didn't enjoy working here at all, the only reason I stayed as long as I did was for the clothing and the staff. I was part of the management team which was great but with the lack of training I had received, even after discussing it with my superiors it was hardly addressed, I might as well have been hired as a part-time employee. Co-workers were great for the most part, but like I said the management needs improvement or they needs more training themselves.
Pros
clothing discount, theres never a "slow season" since they sell all types of clothing, good customers.
Cons
poor training to new staff
Close knitted company with knowledgeable individuals
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 6, 2014
a typical day at work would be different depending on the time of the year, when we are rolling out product for spring/summer or fall/winter days at the office get hectic to say the least. as a team we have a divided list of departments we constantly monitor of drops or rises in sales on a wtd (week to date), mtd ( month to date) and ytd (year to date) numbers. We then compare those to numbers from previous dates in the same season and continue to break it down by department, down to the style, and then the same for particular items. this process gets divided and then shared. Another daily task is then analyzing the successes in sales and impact on budget and eventually calculating the "clean" revenue. A not so enjoyable part of the job is calculating money lost on items that were not successful, and then calculating further the difference lost every time we promote the items at lower prices and watching revenue deplete as we struggle to get rid of dead inventory. Other days or sometimes everyday we communicate our findings and learn from also, the visual merchandising teams, sales managers, and our sales reps. We break down the budgets given to us and everyday monitor how all aspects of the process effect the final numbers, monthly.

I have learned that it is not always the items that you personally enjoy or the style you necessarily go towards, which sell the best. I continuously get surprised and impressed by the styles that do well, that I didn't think, would and vice versa. The most definite thing I have learned that it is the most unpredictable series of events that one
  more... could never foresee the future of, and yet also the most exhilarating and exciting aspects of this job which drives me so much. I really enjoy that the success of this job doesn't rely on personal preference of fashion, but the personal preference of the end consumer. If one is able to openly allow the public dictate their decisions, one would have potential at this job. realizing what the consumer wants, is all you need to know, and then give it to them. if you are wrong, you are in trouble. and there is no way around this and never will be, if you push items that are no longer of interest, you lost them, if you release a trend that is not yet a trend, you lost them. Timing is the most critical part of the process and its accuracy is completely reliant on the success or failure of reaching budgets, and having hits, or failing to do so and costing the company unbearable amount of money.

Management is very small and very much family run and favored. positions are being held by those that are decent and adequate at their roles, but do not get considered to be moved aside for excellent and outstanding potential candidates, because of seniority and favoritism. Many things get forgiven due to this circumstance and its quite unpleasant and unprofessional to witness. besides that, the people as people, very nice and most, are very driven and productive.
Pros
quick turn over and replenishment time
Cons
very little room or chance to advance
Great people, horrible company.
Warehouse Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2014
At Jean Machine, I was an outbound sales associate first, and warehouse associate second. During my role as an outbound sales associate, we would travel around Ontario on certain weekends from Thursday-Sunday, and we would set up and run a "warehouse sale" at various hotel venues. We worked in a very tight-knit team and ran things extremely efficiently. We had a core team, and each person knew their roles. Unfortunately, there was a clear separation from management and laborers, which made it impossible to move up in the company. I was once offered an assistant manager position, only to find out that it was informal and was not made to sign any forms. I then found out that the same position was offered to my co-worker, who was also not made to sign any forms to make it official.

During the times we were not running any sales, I would be working inside the warehouse to prepare for the ones that were coming.

The hardest part of this job was the demanding hours (we worked 11-12 hours Thursday-Friday during our sales), but the fact that we got to travel and explore Ontario was the most enjoyable of any job I have ever had.
Pros
free lunches, always travelling
Cons
fashion,fun, and music, but must committ much of your life to it
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough,ONNovember 29, 2013
My main priority at Jean Machine was to help our customers find the perfect pair of jeans. I enjoyed working with our customers, most of them were regulars. The staff at our location were like a family. We were responsible daily for sales budgets, merchandising, and customer service. We were in contact with our area manager on a daily basis. I was responsible for the hiring and training of all employees, sales budgets and results, and any customer service issues or inquiries. The best part of my job was helping a customer find the perfect outfit. When someone left my store happy and confident in their purchase it was a great sense of accomplishment. The hardest part of the job was to meet sales budgets in a struggling economy. There were many factors that affected our sales, and most of them were beyond my control. Working every weekend and every holiday was also a downfall of the job. Customer complaints and returns were not my favourite part of the job either, but when I could resolve the issue satisfactorily for both parties, that also was a great feeling. I worked for Jean Machine for 7 years. I gained much experience from my employment here, however the stress levels that go along with the manager position far outweighed the benefits.
Pros
great clothes, great employees
Cons
long hours, always work holidays